Rumor: Leafs considering stripping John Tavares of captaincy (per Kypreos)

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I would absolutely take the C away from Tavares. From my memory as a Leaf fan, he is arguably one of the worst leaf captains i can remember. His entire time with the club has been defined by a lack of leadership and management trying to bring in savvy old timer veterans to make up for the lack of leadership.

I don't know if giving it to Mathews is the move, but stripping Tavares most definitely is.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Rather surprised this doesn’t appear to be a discussion happening anywhere (unless I’ve missed it which is possible) but allegedly Kypreos said on radio on Monday that the Leafs are seriously considering taking the captaincy away from JT and naming Matthews captain.

If true, I mean, I get it. If this happens though I feel bad for Tavares. It’s not all his fault what’s transpired here under his leadership and this is an awful market to have something like this go down in as it will be talked about and analyzed to death and there will probably be some degree of undue character assassination that accompanies it.

That all said. This is clearly Auston Matthews’ team and I think he will be the captain sooner than later. Can this not wait a year though so as to not publicly embarrass Tavares?
It's Limp Dykreos, so I'll believe it when someone reputable reports it.

And I agree, this is dumb. He's got one year on his contract, JT being captain is not an issue with this team.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leadership: the ability of an individual to inspire others to achieve a shared objective or vision.

The lack of leadership on this team has been apparent for a very long time. I don't need to be in the locker room to see it either. It's evident in the annual first round exits every year.

Unless they were actually trying to go out early each spring that is.

If winning the cup was the goal then Tavares has proven as competent as I would as Captain. They could have just hired me for a fraction of the cost. The results would have been the same.

In fact they might have been better.

The $11M a year I wouldn't be getting paid would have been spent somewhere else more productively. So far they've shovelled $77M into Tavares' bank account. All that money has bought them no more rounds than they would have achieved without him.

If stripping Tavares of his Captaincy means future UFAs won't come here to be overpaid to underachieve that's a good thing.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
“Massive changes coming to the Leafs this offseason”…

This is nothing more than a PR stunt and will change literally nothing on ice. We are the joke of the league and for good reason.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
“Massive changes coming to the Leafs this offseason”…

This is nothing more than a PR stunt and will change literally nothing on ice. We are the joke of the league and for good reason.
How is it a PR stunt? The Leafs didn't announce that.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah its a pointless move to make now, with Tavares leaving next year. The Captaincy should've always been given to Morgan Reilly
I agree it's pointless but not sure he leaves next year. IF he stays it will be under three million though. HE will have to figure from there if Dorothy was right " there's no place like home"

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Stripping makes it sound harsher then it needs to be.

It's just the natural progression of this team and something we knew was going to happen for some time now.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Now that the Marner trade crap the media spews is dying down......Now they create another stir and make another false statement that the Leafs want to "strip" the C off Taveres.

Always drama in leaf land and alot of fans think its gospel.

Worst media in sports is in Toronto. Every Tom , Dick and Harry gets behind a microphone or tweets crap to get hits.

Enjoy the summer....once this dies down.....the mediots will fabricate another story.

"Hey Tom.....lets go to Taveres house and ask him in person " or maybe we go to his parents house to get a quote.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If they really wanted to signify change, give Rielly the C and Domi and Tanev the A and let the other guys play and not worry about it.

Rielly has done more for the organization than anyone else.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
if he had any class he would have voluntarily given up the C a couple of seasons ago , Johnny however doesn't give a f*** about anything but himself so he'll make the Leafs turn this into media circus by having to strip him of the C if they want to give it to Mathews

Last edited:
Reactions: NVious

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
They should, the guy utterly failed:
0/6 (5 if you count the 1 playoff game series) in going ppg in the playoffs
1 series win 6 years
24 points in 38 playoff games
3 points in his last 12 playoff games

All for the low low price of 11 million dollars.

Obviously you go to the guy and ask him to give it up, but if he doesn't stripping him is such an easy/non-controversial decision it shouldn't even be talked about.

He wasn't just bad, he was abysmal for 11 mill. But again the Leafs play in a different NHL; national happiness league and that would be an awfully mean thing to do, maybe some people would be unhappy with it, so we can't do that (Leafs players have won the happiness cup every year btw).

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Oh no...we never won a cup with Clark, Gilmour, Sundin and Sittler as Captains....

I had no idea that was the missing piece to winning the cup... :)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
if he had any class he would have voluntarily given up the C a couple of seasons ago , Johnny however doesn't give a f*** about anything but himself so he'll make the Leafs turn this into media circus by having to strip him of the C if they want to give it to Mathews
Why Matthews? What has Matthews ever done to make you think he’s a captain?

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
That's a grim look to consider doing this on his final year when you could ride it out and do it cleanly next season.

Would likely also put to bed any idea of re-signing him at a reduced cap hit.

I'm super biased due to sharing the same background as JT so I will always support him, but I could see how this is the right move. The team will have opinions from their own players and staff that we will never be privy to, that would lead to a decision such as this. Maybe a Matthews captaincy could spark a change as he is unquestionably the best player on this team and the guy who appeals stronger to his peers in the same age range.

JT works his ass off and is the ultimate pro, I think he deserves better than this, but it is fair to question his leadership and whether it was the wrong fit for a group of eccentrics.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why Matthews? What has Matthews ever done to make you think he’s a captain?
what has Tavares ever done that people believed he deserved to be Captain in the first place ? the guys a mumbling idiot but for some reason some fans do cartwheels defending him while chucking his teammates under the bus to deflect criticism away from him and it's been going on since jr

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
what has Tavares ever done that people believed he deserved to be Captain in the first place ? the guys a mumbling idiot but for some reason some fans do cartwheels defending him while chucking his teammates under the bus to deflect criticism away from him and it's been going on since jr
You never gave the case for Matthews. Look at the people he associates with and tell me you think he should be the captain of the Leafs.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Fans have no to idea about what goes in a team's locker room and only a small windows into the dynamics between various players. Why do they all seem so confident when discussing who the captain should be?

I'd really love to see more fans show awareness of how little they know.

Reactions: Tak7

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It would be illogical to think being captain wouldn't make him feel more responsible for our teams success as captain.
Why is it illogical to considef that he may already feel as responsible as he every will? But it's probably a moot point anyways since none of us will ever truly know how responsible he feels. At best, we may know how responsible he says he feels.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
That's a grim look to consider doing this on his final year when you could ride it out and do it cleanly next season.

Would likely also put to bed any idea of re-signing him at a reduced cap hit.

I'm super biased due to sharing the same background as JT so I will always support him, but I could see how this is the right move. The team will have opinions from their own players and staff that we will never be privy to, that would lead to a decision such as this. Maybe a Matthews captaincy could spark a change as he is unquestionably the best player on this team and the guy who appeals stronger to his peers in the same age range.

JT works his ass off and is the ultimate pro, I think he deserves better than this, but it is fair to question his leadership and whether it was the wrong fit for a group of eccentrics.

Who said anything about re-signing him.

If they strip him of the "C" now that still gives them lots of time to find a good trade after he requests one. Which if he had any pride he would. Which means Tavares probably won't.

He'll stink up the ice one more year before going to Edmonton and winning it all there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad