Proposal: Leafs Canes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Can't tell if Leafs fans are hilariously overvaluing Brown or highly underrating Aho. There is an ocean of value between Brown and Aho.

no, there isnt.

Connor Brown is our 4th or 5th best.

Aho would be our 4th best... is Aho better? yes. miles apart? no

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
no, there isnt.

Connor Brown is our 4th or 5th best.

Aho would be our 4th best... is Aho better? yes. miles apart? no

Aho is the Canes #1 prospect. Brown would be closer to their #5-6. What's your point? Toronto has three top-10 prospects, that doesn't make Aho any worse or Brown any better.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Leaf fans are undervaluing Aho a lot IMO.
But at the same time, I feel Kadri's being undervalued as well (I have no idea why Kadri/Bozak are 'Carolina's choice' to pick. Kadri's clearly a lot better than Bozak, not close in value)

I wouldn't do this deal because in my mind:
1) Kadri is our locked future #2C (He played real well and should've had 60 points if it weren't for that unlucky sh% at the start). A Matthews-Kadri duo down the middle with Marner/Nylander/JVR/Brown/Kapanan/Bracco/Timashov on the wings is amazing.
2) While Andersen isn't a lock to be an amazing goalie, I have optimism that he'll be a great starter due to his HD sv% among others.
3) If we take out Kadri and add Aho among Marner/Nylander, we take away a physically talented player which leaves our top-6 incredibly soft.

I get why Carolina wouldn't want to do it as well. If they're dealing away Aho, they're going to want a clear upgrade in a certain position, and this deal doesn't do this at all for them.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
op is awesome for carolina tbh

to think that we could get a guy who refused to sign with us and reentered the draft the following year, and tyler bozak for some noob who never even played a single game in the nhl is good value imo

plus we can off load legendary #gritman brian bickell

i can tell that a lot of thought went into this proposal and op is not biased at all

AxlRose91*

Wow leafs players = Gold, really promising. LOL

One of the best prospects in the league in Aho = Promising

You don't have a bias at all do you?

I'm not sure how anyone could interpret anything that I wrote as being "biased"

Andersen is the Leafs #1 goalie. Fact. Kadri is currently the #1 centre. He will be surpassed by Matthews, but at this point in time, he's the guy. Connor Brown is a guy who's scored at every level. He led the OHL in scoring, and then proceeded to lead all rookies in scoring at the AHL level. I'd say that's the definition of a "promising prospect"

Aho - another really promising kid. Again, not sure what you're trying to poke holes in here....

Explain?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

not sure if serious...

Andersen is the Leafs #1 goalie. Fact.

just because he is the best you have

does not mean that he is actually good

Kadri is currently the #1 centre. He will be surpassed by Matthews, but at this point in time, he's the guy.

see above

Connor Brown is a guy who's scored at every level. He led the OHL in scoring, and then proceeded to lead all rookies in scoring at the AHL level. I'd say that's the definition of a "promising prospect"

aho did all that and more at higher levels of competition

against men and not 15 yr olds

see above

also

i wrote this post in blue so you would find it more to your liking :thumbu:

AxlRose91*

not sure if serious...

see above

see above

also

Where did I say that Kadri was the next Ryan Getzlaf, or that Andersen was a Vezina shoo-in? I didn't. Again - read first, and then comment

Also - the AHL is full of 15 year olds? You do know what league I'm referring to, right? I guarantee it's a higher caliber than the Finnish league. And the style of play is much more in line with that of the NHL, so success in the AHL is more indicative of potential success in the NHL

Last edited by a moderator:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

not sure if serious...

see above

see above

also

when did Aho lead a league in scoring?

This isnt a Brown vs Aho debate, its a Kadri,Andersen and Brown vs Aho and cap dump debate and its not even close. leafs laugh at the original proposal.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I fail to see why the leafs do this deal. They have a potential starting goalie in Andersen that they traded a first round pick and a second round pick for plus signed him to a 5 year deal. They signed Kadri to a long term deal fairly recently so they don't intend to move him either. Plus Brown is still a promising young player who looks like he could be in the nhl this season. They don't really need wingers and the last thing they need is to downgrade their goalie.

I also fail to see why the hurricanes make this deal. They need wingers more then centres from what i can remember and giving eddie lack another opportunity to be a full time starting goalie at this point can't hurt.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
op is awesome for carolina tbh

to think that we could get a guy who refused to sign with us and reentered the draft the following year, and tyler bozak for some noob who never even played a single game in the nhl is good value imo

plus we can off load legendary #gritman brian bickell

i can tell that a lot of thought went into this proposal and op is not biased at all

Lol, have watched a prospect in Aho be dominant in the WJC championship run, great the World Championships among men and playing great at the World Cup among the world's best. He has 1C upside, ELC, he's a year away from becoming an untouchable commodity.

Andersen... total gamble if he can play behind a bad defense and that contract is 50/50 to be an anchor> Andersen would be better off behind Carolina's blueline.

Kadri/Bozak? Pfft.... just average 2/3 centers, not bad or good players, have established their ceiling and 100% recycable talent. The bias is Leaf fans that turn a blind eye to being critical of Leaf talent (cause their tho good because the already play 4 tha Leefs).

Bickell the salary dump to balance money.

Leafs (the rebuilding Leafs) take the guy that can play behind Matthews (here is where you blah blah blah that Nylander is a can't miss C, even though he has a higher offensive ceiling on the wing and Aho is a better two way player).

Bias? Kid, I was making Alan Bester road hockey goalie masks out of cereal boxes before you were born.

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
when did Aho lead a league in scoring?

This isnt a Brown vs Aho debate, its a Kadri,Andersen and Brown vs Aho and cap dump debate and its not even close. leafs laugh at the original proposal.

As a leafs fan even I'm willing to admit that really Aho lead the Finnish league in scoring. Everyone above him was a vet who you'd expect to pick up their teams, but he lead the U24 group in both points and points per game (except for that one guy who had 2 points in 1 single game).

Does that make him better than brown? Honestly maybe, I don't know. Is it a AINEC situation, no, its debatable, and if he were in our prospect pool we'd be ecstatic to see him come over to the AHL and hopefully dominate.

That being said the original proposal still doesn't make sense. Toronto essentially moves a bunch of good quality players and prospects for 1 high potential prospects with a bunch of cap dumps. Would Toronto get the highest valued player...possibly, but I don't think its a AINEC situation there either with who has the most value. So Toronto trades 3 solid pieces for a solid piece with more elite potential, which is not a deal they make at this stage of the rebuild.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lol, have watched a prospect in Aho be dominant in the WJC championship run, great the World Championships among men and playing great at the World Cup among the world's best. He has 1C upside, ELC, he's a year away from becoming an untouchable commodity.

Andersen... total gamble if he can play behind a bad defense and that contract is 50/50 to be an anchor> Andersen would be better off behind Carolina's blueline.

Kadri/Bozak? Pfft.... just average 2/3 centers, not bad or good players, have established their ceiling and 100% recycable talent. The bias is Leaf fans that turn a blind eye to being critical of Leaf talent (cause their tho good because the already play 4 tha Leefs).

Bickell the salary dump to balance money.

Leafs (the rebuilding Leafs) take the guy that can play behind Matthews (here is where you blah blah blah that Nylander is a can't miss C, even though he has a higher offensive ceiling on the wing and Aho is a better two way player).

Bias? Kid, I was making Alan Bester road hockey goalie masks out of cereal boxes before you were born.

Aho is a great prospect but even Bester could see this is not a very good idea from the Leafs side.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Andersen is the Leafs #1 goalie. Fact. Kadri is currently the #1 centre. He will be surpassed by Matthews, but at this point in time, he's the guy. Connor Brown is a guy who's scored at every level. He led the OHL in scoring, and then proceeded to lead all rookies in scoring at the AHL level. I'd say that's the definition of a "promising prospect"

Aho - another really promising kid. Again, not sure what you're trying to poke holes in here....

Explain?

Easy,

Connor brown = really promising prospect

Aho= promising prospect

Overselling the leafs player while underselling the Canes player. I really thought that was obvious. :help:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Lack got moved for a 3rd. thats how highly he was thought of.

Andersen>>>Lack and it isnt even close.

terrible deal for the leafs to make for a prospect who isnt in that top tier

Lack got moved for a 3rd because Benning wasn't willing to trade him in the west and that's the best offer he could get in the east. Did you know that?

Lack numbers- .912 SV % 2.54 GAA total games= 116

Andersen numbers- .918 SV % 2.33 GAA total games= 125

I don't think Lack is better but it's far close than you seem to think.

Aho isn't top tier, now this just proves how little you know, the kid lead the Finnish league in scoring, you know that mens league that is far tougher to score in than the AHL? WOW

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
...Did you mistake a guy named "Carolinas Identity" for a Leafs fan?

CI was an impostor on our board this whole time....

:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Maybe....

guise

i am an edmontons fan

pls

1917813_208578770708_6547405_n.jpg

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Easy,

Connor brown = really promising prospect

Aho= promising prospect

Overselling the leafs player while underselling the Canes player. I really thought that was obvious. :help:

but that's the opposite of how Axl put it, Aho was the "really promising prospect" and Brown was the "promising prospect"?

Lack got moved for a 3rd because Benning wasn't willing to trade him in the west and that's the best offer he could get in the east. Did you know that?

Lack numbers- .912 SV % 2.54 GAA total games= 116

Andersen numbers- .918 SV % 2.33 GAA total games= 125

I don't think Lack is better but it's far close than you seem to think.

Aho isn't top tier, now this just proves how little you know, the kid lead the Finnish league in scoring, you know that mens league that is far tougher to score in than the AHL? WOW

For argument's sake, if you're using sv % and GAA as your basis for comparison with Lack and Andersen, where would you put a goalie with a .924 sv % and a 2.12 GAA....in the "elite" realm? That would be someone who's numbers are as much better than Andersen's as Andersen's are than Lack's, so probably worth acknowledging that there's a difference between those sets of numbers

Yes Lack was sold under unideal conditions, and Andersen was probably more ideal, but players trade like commodities so its not like the values they get have no relation to their perceived value around the league, GM's work the phones to see what they can get and the highest bidder sets the market. Andersen's return should show that he's perceived to be more valuable than Lack

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
but that's the opposite of how Axl put it, Aho was the "really promising prospect" and Brown was the "promising prospect"?

For argument's sake, if you're using sv % and GAA as your basis for comparison with Lack and Andersen, where would you put a goalie with a .924 sv % and a 2.12 GAA....in the "elite" realm? That would be someone who's numbers are as much better than Andersen's as Andersen's are than Lack's, so probably worth acknowledging that there's a difference between those sets of numbers

Yes Lack was sold under unideal conditions, and Andersen was probably more ideal, but players trade like commodities so its not like the values they get have no relation to their perceived value around the league, GM's work the phones to see what they can get and the highest bidder sets the market. Andersen's return should show that he's perceived to be more valuable than Lack

In the original post I responded to no he didn't put it that way.

Oh I agree my only point was that the value was not as far off as the poster seemed to think. Andersen is definitely more valuable than Lack.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
In the original post I responded to no he didn't put it that way.

Oh I agree my only point was that the value was not as far off as the poster seemed to think. Andersen is definitely more valuable than Lack.

Fair enough, I think that may have been inadvertent given that he switched those monikers in that most recent post. Aho is the most valuable piece in the OP, no doubt. But I don't think that his upside nets a whole lot more than a good 2nd line centre with a good contract (what Kadri is, IMO), so adding a goalie that we just gave up two 2nd's (or a 1st and a 2nd if you want to call a #30 pick a 1st) plus a B+ prospect and maybe more would happen. I can understand Carolina not wanting to give up Aho, but the leafs definitely don't give up all that for Aho either given that we just traded for Andersen, just signed Kadri long term, and have Brown on the brink of breaking into the league from a 7th round flyer taken 4 years ago

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Fair enough, I think that may have been inadvertent given that he switched those monikers in that most recent post. Aho is the most valuable piece in the OP, no doubt. But I don't think that his upside nets a whole lot more than a good 2nd line centre with a good contract (what Kadri is, IMO), so adding a goalie that we just gave up two 2nd's (or a 1st and a 2nd if you want to call a #30 pick a 1st) plus a B+ prospect and maybe more would happen. I can understand Carolina not wanting to give up Aho, but the leafs definitely don't give up all that for Aho either given that we just traded for Andersen, just signed Kadri long term, and have Brown on the brink of breaking into the league from a 7th round flyer taken 4 years ago

He is totally flip flopping on this, we all know what he initially wrote.

Oh I totally agree, but I believe that this would be a bad move for both teams. Especially considering the history with Andersen and the Canes, and the leafs need for a #1 Goalie. Hopefully your team has found their guy finally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad