Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins game 2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
Get Boosh out of the lineup - he can't move the puck for shit.
Get Bertuzzi off Matthews line - plays die on his stick too often.
Get Bertuzzi in front of the damn net on PP1 - USE him where he's used best.

Reactions: arso40

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Man, you make your assumptions based on what? Any Excel data or just a hunch? Or all the experience from the last seven years? Just curious about your logic.
These teams are a coin flip. In the playoffs, that usually means a lot of overtime games (just look at both Leafs series last year). My guess is that this game will either be a multi-goal win for the Leafs, or an overtime game. Personally, I like the Leafs in overtime.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I Got leafs in 6 still

This though is must win for that too happen

Leafs win games 2 and 3, lose 4, then win close games 5 and 6.

Its time for everyone top to bottom to step it up. Flip the switch, get it going

1) Core needs to dominate - This usnt 2018 or 2019. There is no chara, no bergeron, no elite marchand (now a good 2nd liner only) no krejci, no Krug, no rask etc., - Big guys need to play and produce like they did vs Tampa.

2) Defense needs to be composed, physical and not panicky - Slow and Big guys should not pinch unless they have support (Edmunson, Benoit), Lilijgren has to be more quick on his reads and passing and cant just be handled physically, and Rielly needs to be better along the boards and his decisions with the puck in zone offensively

3) Depth needs to wear down there depth, gather possession and make safe entries and exits - Domi and Bert need to bring physicality while not losing their heads and taking reckless penalties, Jarnkrok, Robby and Knies need to give the d-man options on breakouts, not try to be cute and fancy in either ends of the ice, and play a shoot and crash net of hockey, dont try to outskill the bruins, try to get goalies beat with rebounds, screens and a quick rebound chance

4) Goalies needs to give 3 goals or less - Dont let in 1st shot of game, dont let in point shots that beat yoy between pad and blocker/glove, be smart and battle through screens as best as you can, communicate with your defense and forwards, and bring high energy and confidence

5) Keefe needs to get the aboe to happen more often than not, and motivate the boys to take this game and the rest of series seriously. Dont just play neutral/zero sum hockey if down a goal. Dont overpass on PP sets, and dont just give the zone on PK, play an aggresive style of PK as the bruins lack true puck handlers/carriers now for the PP

Leafs can and will win this one.

Robertson most likely, and then Dewar when McMann is out.

It is hard to score goals against Boston, they have good D and the best tandem in the league, I'd be fine taking out guys who make a lot of mistakes.

Someone else brought it up, and I agree, it is most likely food poisoning or something.

I can't see it being a punishment, that is punishing the team, not just him.
I see you brought the excuses out early this year. Nice

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
As soon as we lose confidence in Sammy he is done for the series, he won't be coming back in any kind of form. We have to show him our faith and hope he can find his A game really fast. Because if we pull him out and Woll comes in and flops we basically have admitted we have no faith in our goaltending (which we don't) and don't expect them to do their part. It's really a bad situation to be in and I blame management for not rectifying this issue YEARS ago.
Agreed that this should have been dealt with years ago but Dubas continued to go dumpster diving for goalies

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's basically an elimination game

Yep, it is. My feeling, this series is going to fall into the pattern of the Florida series because this team falls into these kind of psychological patterns.

The Leafs choked that second period away vs Florida and basically lost the series in 5 minutes of Game 2. If they fall behind again, don't establish a lead early and actually hold it, they do not have the psychological strength to keep playing this series.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
What's hurting so bad that he can't play in a playoff game?
It has to be something serious no?

Possibly not long term but debilitating.

Nylander has barely missed a game due to injury over the course of his career.

My guess is that it is affecting his skating ability, which is pretty much what makes him valuable.

Of he can't skate, I am not sure he would be any help

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I see you brought the excuses out early this year. Nice

What excuses? Boston is hard to score against, it'd be nice if the Leafs had to score less to win, which is why Robertson not playing is fine with me.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I don't blame him either... I really am cheering for Tavares and the team of course but I'm not sure he can captain this team to a SC victory... I guess we'll just have to stay tuned and see 👀
I like Tavares because he never ever stops trying. However, we do need a captain who will act like Max Domi did at the opening faceoff and take responsibility for proactively setting the tone. John has to step out of character and initiate some crap.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What excuses? Boston is hard to score against, it'd be nice if the Leafs had to score less to win, which is why Robertson not playing is fine with me.
The bruins have no 1C, no true 1G, and use a tandem now

They dont have the depth they had across the board in 2018 and 2019 defensively on the backend or at forwards

Also they have gone from 4th in 2022 to 1st in 2023 to 7th in 2024 in Goals against. This is the worse they are in 3 years.

In 2022 the Canes (worse offensive team than the 2024 leafs) scored 21 goals in 7 games vs the Bruins good for 3 a game

In 2023 the Panthers (a similar offensive team to the 2024 leafs) scored 24 goals in 7 games or 3.42 goals per game

The 2024 leafs vs 2024 bruins should be able to get 3-3.5 goals a game vs the bruins. They arent a good defensive team past two years come playoffs and have not been able to shut down canes or panthers.

Game 2 the offense has to thrive and get shots that can actually beat swayman. We had a 2 or 3 high quality looks maybe yesterday and besides that took way to many low danger chaances

Last edited:

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
The 2024 leafs vs 2024 bruins should be able to get 3-3.5 goals a game vs thesw bruins. They arent a good defensive team past two years come playoffs and have not been able to shut down canes or panthers.

Game 2 the offense has to thrive and get shots that can actuall beat swayman. We had a 2 or 3 high quality looks maybe yesterday and besides that took way to many low danger chaances
Problem though is the Leafs are even worse defensively and in net than the Bruins are so I’m sure they also feel that they can also score 3-4 goals against them.

Leafs simply need to win game 2.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It has to be something serious no?

Possibly not long term but debilitating.

Nylander has barely missed a game due to injury over the course of his career.

My guess is that it is affecting his skating ability, which is pretty much what makes him valuable.

Of he can't skate, I am not sure he would be any help
Whatever it is, it can't be insignificant. This is not a guy who misses games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad