Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins game 2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Roger that, I think Nylander is suffering the same affliction as the tin man fron the wizard of oz…….
I get that you have very little time for Nylander, which of course is your right, but I have never understood the constant calling out of his character.

Hating his style of play is one thing, but you don't know him or really anything about him like most of us.

Plus he is a Leaf. It benefits us as fans when he plays well. The charcter assassination of so many players is kind of foreign to me.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I hate losing, but by far the part I hate the most is having to listen to so many god awful takes.

So far I have heard the Leafs top lines don't backcheck (which is complete nonsense. One has Marner a Selke finalist winger and we have been talking about Matthews defensive game all year. And to be honest, Matthews was helping the D moving the puck a lot game 1 which is why he wasn't in scoring positions. If anything, he needs to focus on scoring more).

Another is of course the classic they are soft and therefore won't battle for pucks (nonsense).

And finally of course, that they simply aren't engaged or trying at all.

Maybe they simply don't have the clutch in them to score when it counts I can buy that, but I refuse to listen to they are losing due to not playing defense or trying or battling for pucks. It's all such complete BS so easy to disprove by simply watching the games.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I hate losing, but by far the part I hate the most is having to listen to so many god awful takes.

So far I have heard the Leafs top lines don't backcheck (which is complete nonsense. One has Marner a Selke finalist winger and we have been talking about Matthews defensive game all year. And to be honest, Matthews was helping the D moving the puck a lot game 1 which is why he wasn't in scoring positions. If anything, he needs to focus on scoring more).

Another is of course the classic they are soft and therefore won't battle for pucks (nonsense).

Maybe they simply don't have the clutch in them to score when it counts I can buy that, but I refuse to listen to they are losing due to not playing defense or trying or battling for pucks. It's all such complete BS so easy to disprove by simply watching the games.
They collectively don’t hate losing to the point where it bothers them.
Also, I don’t think they know what needs to be done to win the Cup. They probably think they are on the right track and they will win sooner or later with the way they play.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They collectively don’t hate losing to the point where it bothers them.
Also, I don’t think they know what needs to be done to win the Cup. They probably think they are on the right track and they will win sooner or later with the way they play.

Nonsense. If anything the problem has been they care too much and overthink everything. Matthews suddenly forgets how to score goals, is it because he doesn't care if he loses or because he wants to win so badly he plays differently trying to score instead of letting plays naturally develop?

This is the kind of take I am talking about. You can fault them for never getting it done but laughable to suggest the problem is lack of playing the right way or caring.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
This one actually makes me laugh, considering the Leafs outhit the "big bad Bruins"...

Soft? No, they're really not. But the hitters need to choose their spots better. And Keefe, can you do us all a favor and restrict pinching to the D-men who are actually fast enough to do it and get back? If I see Edmundson pinch one more time in this series...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hope Nylander is in.

The real issue is Samsonov and what version comes out to play here otherwise the rest won't matter.

He just needs to be average. Nobody expects him to be one of the best goalies in the game. I think that this is a TEAM, they need to pick each other up. Trust what worked for the whole 82 games in the regular season.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Game time decision for Nylander. Hopefully he grows a pair and suits up.
I don't want a half-sassed lazy Nylander trying to play if he can't be his effective self. He needs to heal up and not be a boat anchor.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs and Nylander f***ed up. We won’t know what happened until we’re eliminated. You don’t just wake up suddenly one morning in such discomfort that you can’t do what you just did the past 7 months unless something went seriously wrong. Either Willy has been hurting since the start of his cold streak or he hurt himself in one of the final two games. Either way, it’s a terrible f***ing look and now we’re without our best playoff scorer for a second straight game. f*** off.

In retrospect none of Matthews, Marner or Nylander should have played the last couple games. A back to back just a couple days before game 1......

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not the poster you are replying to, but Boosh made some egregious passing mistakes trying to start the transition. One or two were thrown to a Bruins player with no Leafs anywhere near the area.
Every D man did and you think Brodie wouldn't lol? He was fine imo last game.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Every D man did and you think Brodie wouldn't lol? He was fine imo last game.
Personally, I'd trust Gio in over Brodie at this point. He's slow, but Brodie is both slow AND good for looking like he's doing a Justin Holl impression every couple of minutes...

Reactions: DarkKnight

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Tend to agree but what is puzzling is that they never sat him out.
It was also the last game of the season. If he did in fact get hurt on that hit, the real pain most likely wouldn't have started until the next day

If it's anything that shows up later, back spasms is the one thing I can think of...but who knows
my thought was sternum/rib cage just because the hit was dead center of his body but could very well be back just by how gingerly he looked skating around

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Only 2 players came close to living up to expectations last game. AM and Reaves. It cannot get worse. Sammy was bad, and could repeat but no one else. Domi, Bert, JT, Reilly, were at their least effective.
So, I support a Leaf win, 4--3....
Blind for 56 years, what is one more game

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

What's not a hot take is the Marner and Matthews not being able to carry this team come playoff time. They play the same as they do during the regular season.

Watch Florida, Tampa, Colorado and Edmonton their top guys have that next level.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This one actually makes me laugh, considering the Leafs outhit the "big bad Bruins"...

Soft? No, they're really not. But the hitters need to choose their spots better. And Keefe, can you do us all a favor and restrict pinching to the D-men who are actually fast enough to do it and get back? If I see Edmundson pinch one more time in this series...
Some of the fans are soft.

Reactions: egd27

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I get that you have very little time for Nylander, which of course is your right, but I have never understood the constant calling out of his character.

Hating his style of play is one thing, but you don't know him or really anything about him like most of us.

Plus he is a Leaf. It benefits us as fans when he plays well. The charcter assassination of so many players is kind of foreign to me.

No one has answers to why we lose in the playoffs so they have to attack things that no one can prove...

It's why it is Keefe's fault for everything right now.

2 days ago people were speculating that he was being disciplined.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No one has answers to why we lose in the playoffs so they have to attack things that no one can prove...

It's why it is Keefe's fault for everything right now.

2 days ago people were speculating that he was being disciplined.

Nylander is also the reason I stubbed my toe on my coffee table this morning, and why I was rained on yesterday without a coat

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Leafs started him vs Boston back to back and he lost by identical scores of 4-1 that played out just like Game 1. He shows lapses in mental concentration allowing the opening goal in multiple games. And he did the same in the Florida game last Tuesday that imploded a great 1st period.

Woll is not a saviour. Put him in if you want, I don’t think it matters but this Samsonov Woll back and forth produces the same mediocre goaltending both ways. Each guy sucks long enough for fans to want to try the other one.

Only “risk” here is once you move on from Sammy there is virtually no chance he’s going to bounce back and be the good version of himself that he was building up to.
'Lapses in mental concentration'. Think you might be referring to Sammy here. You then reference two regular season games to bolster argument. Up until the injury was looking far and away the better goalie. But it's not about then it's about now obviously.

I am not sure he is the savior but he is our 1B at the moment, and if Sammy was better on Saturday I'm not suggesting this. But to go right back to Sammy, I question that more than I question going to Woll for Game 2. To be honest the goals against flatter Samsanov he was clueless on an number of close calls.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Being scared is my favorite. Who choses to play pro hockey and is scared? There is enough to be scared in some beer leagues I've played.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Being scared is my favorite. Who choses to play pro hockey and is scared? There is enough to be scared in some beer leagues I've played.

Another good one. Like sure the guy is scared but scores 60 goals in his sleep every year. As if when playoffs come, only then do team play him hard lol

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In retrospect none of Matthews, Marner or Nylander should have played the last couple games. A back to back just a couple days before game 1......

It's not just playing them, but the managing of their minutes / usage as well.

They didn't have the luxury of giving them time off due to injuries and availability to others, but then you simply squeeze them into 12-14 minutes a night territory and hope for the best.

Think they all got caught up way too much in the quest for 70

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad