Proposal: Leafs-Blues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Big no thank you on trading Parayko. Very little chance be organization goes into a full blown scorched earth rebuild right now IMO, and you don’t trade a guy like Parayko unless that is the plan.
Yes, this thread seems like its hypothetical or fantasy in nature.

Recent comments from GM Armstrong doesn't leave an impression that the Blues will be embarking on a rebuild.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We have a goalie with a .920 s% and are top 10 in most defensive stats. There is always room for improvement but why do we need him to fix those things?
And if we only have him for 1 more year like some of you think shouldn’t we do everything we can to win while we do?
All of this seems tangental or without purpose if the Blues are not thinking of moving Parayko or rebuilding, no? That's the actual relevant subject to discuss rather than the per usual, senseless quibbling.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
While the Leafs need the exact player Parayko was, he is showing signs of slowing down and is approaching the wrong side of 30. Can he still be that player? Probably, but by the end of his current deal he likely isn’t and that is a lot of risk to take.

The amount it would cost to get Parayko isn’t worth the risk IMO, and I’d try to target more of a middle pairing guy of the same ilk for cheaper, or target younger for slightly more.

Reactions: Fogelhund

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Parayko isn’t as good as you think he is. Go look into his underlying stats. They are troubling.
Lol weren’t you loudly declaring Tarasenko would cost assets to move?

Go look at Parayko’s usage. He eats some of the toughest minutes of any dman in the entire NHL. Seriously, his usage is absurd and provides vital context when analyzing his advanced stats. Parayko plays big minutes on the PK and 5v5 against top quality of competition with dramatically slanted zone starts.

He is an absolute beast and there is very little chance he will be traded.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I like Parayko but huge over payment

Niemela is essentially a mid 1st, given how he's progressed.

I'd consider 1st + Niemela + 2nd + Holl (Cap dump). Parayko has a very long contract but a good player

Leafs cannot or should not trade the 2024 pick.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Oh hell NO!

Unless Matthews, Marner and Nylander are under contract for at least the next 6 years no way am I throwing away 1st round picks. NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Go look at Parayko’s usage. He eats some of the toughest minutes of any dman in the entire NHL. Seriously, his usage is absurd and provides vital context when analyzing his advanced stats. Parayko plays big minutes on the PK and 5v5 against top quality of competition with dramatically slanted zone starts.

Might have missed that window to trade tarasenko again. His value is big down. But he gave the Blues a great 21-22 season.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
For Parayko I’d offer:

Sandin
2023 1st
Justin Holl
Prospect (other than Knies, Minten, Niemela) or a later year 2nd rounder.

Muzzin to retire.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Might have missed that window to trade tarasenko again. His value is big down. But he gave the Blues a great 21-22 season.
Tarasenko is one of the few Blues who looks good this year. His value is not down.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Parayko isn’t as good as you think he is. Go look into his underlying stats. They are troubling.
I didn't say he was makar. Regardless he is a vast improvement. Sometimes those numbers are skewed by a bad team or even a bad D partner

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Parayko was a beast. Back injuries can be a terrible thing, and one of the reasons we are looking to replace Muzzin.

With the back injuries, Parayko isn’t the beast he once was, and to trade for him given not only the decline in current play, but the risk he gets worse or retires is problematic.

Maybe he returns to form, and that’s great, but at nearly 30, and the toll physical hockey takes, that isn’t a risk the Leafs should be taking. To give up that kind of assets, the target should be healthier, and ideally younger.

I understand your hesitancy to give up a player who has been beastly for your org, but if someone offers you a pile of asset for a player in decline.. run with it.

Reactions: EK392000

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
While the Leafs need the exact player Parayko was, he is showing signs of slowing down and is approaching the wrong side of 30. Can he still be that player? Probably, but by the end of his current deal he likely isn’t and that is a lot of risk to take.

The amount it would cost to get Parayko isn’t worth the risk IMO, and I’d try to target more of a middle pairing guy of the same ilk for cheaper, or target younger for slightly more.
Wrong side of 30? He's 29 lol. Anyway, I feel like someone like Connor Murphy would be a better fit for the Leafs (similar age, lower cap hit, shorter term).

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Anyway, I feel like someone like Connor Murphy would be a better fit for the Leafs (similar age, lower cap hit, shorter term).
Agreed.

My current dream scenario is bringing in ROR and Murphy, but I don't think Dubas will have the greenlight to spend that kind of draft and prospect capital (multiple 1sts, likely).

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Wrong side of 30? He's 29 lol. Anyway, I feel like someone like Connor Murphy would be a better fit for the Leafs (similar age, lower cap hit, shorter term).
I said approaching the wrong side of 30. He’s 30 in a few months and is signed until 37

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I said approaching the wrong side of 30. He’s 30 in a few months and is signed until 37
Typically when someone says wrong side of thirty, they mean 35+ which he will be by the end of his contract but not approaching it

Agreed.

My current dream scenario is bringing in ROR and Murphy, but I don't think Dubas will have the greenlight to spend that kind of draft and prospect capital (multiple 1sts, likely).
Bertuzzi would be a nice alternative to ROR as well

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Parayko was a beast. Back injuries can be a terrible thing, and one of the reasons we are looking to replace Muzzin.

With the back injuries, Parayko isn’t the beast he once was, and to trade for him given not only the decline in current play, but the risk he gets worse or retires is problematic.

Maybe he returns to form, and that’s great, but at nearly 30, and the toll physical hockey takes, that isn’t a risk the Leafs should be taking. To give up that kind of assets, the target should be healthier, and ideally younger.

I understand your hesitancy to give up a player who has been beastly for your org, but if someone offers you a pile of asset for a player in decline.. run with it.

This is an odd statement. Parayko has had a back injury in which he was out for a while back in 21 I believe. He hasn’t really missed games since returning and is fairly durable.

He also isn’t an overly physical defender. That’s most of the knock a lot of Blues fans have on him. Everybody wants him to be Chris Pronger due to frame and mobility. But he never will be, he plays a much more suffocating stick game as opposed to physical game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad