Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blowout Kings 6-2

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander himself says he has chemistry with Tavares. Nylander enjoyed his best seasons with Tavares. Domi had like 6 goals last year.
First, I wouldn't put too much stock in what players say in public about each other, especially current teammates. It's virtually always 'nice noises'.

Except for his first couple of seasons, Nylander has always played mainly with Tavares - not a surprise they have been his best. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have been better away from JT then, or in the future.

I'm not sure what Domi only having 9 goals has to do with the line's chemistry. Domi had exactly the same number of points as JT at ES last year, in almost 20% less ES ice time. He's also clearly more of a set-up man than JT, which is likely better for the second-best shooter and scorer on the team.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Matthews-Marner are starting to get going a little bit.

Domi-Nylander are magic together and McMann complimented them well with the 2 goals. Although I will say, I wouldn't want Domi playing center in the playoffs.

I thought that Tavares and Robertson were brutal together. No chemistry, looked out of sorts. Just a bad line right now.

Defence, coaching and goaltending has been great.

If offense is our biggest concern we are set up well.

I'd bet secretly Berube is glad for that little let down they had so he could have that moment.
IMO, it's a good thing when the Coach is the toughest guy on the team. Brings lots of memories of Quinn and Burns.

Other then the Reaver I’d take the coach in a square down at centre over anyone on the roster lol..

Like you said it's only 4 games, so the sample is way too small to really make any conclusions but the directness and power we're playing with is far greater than before. Way less messing around with the puck in the neutral zone, way less curling back and holding possession at all costs. Just fast north-south, get pucks in deep, forecheck and wear the opposing teams defence down and get pucks to the net. I think this playstyle is far more sustainable to winning in the playoffs and it's one where if you can master, teams hate having to deal with this type of opponent.

We haven't played any of NYR, BOS, DAL, EDM, TB, CAR yet, so we will have to prove we can play this way against the leagues elite and consistently.

Let’s be reality. When’s the first Bruins game?

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224 and weems

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It has been like 4 games, and the Leafs don't make the schedule. Here is the schedule so you can see how long it will be till the Leafs play a team that you think is a contender: Toronto Maple Leafs Schedule | Toronto Maple Leafs

That's actually the first time I looked at the full schedule this year.

The first half looks like a bit of a cake walk. But after New Years the chickens come home to roost and the schedule looks harder. I just hope they are able to get a big enough lead the first half they can glide to a playoffs spot the rest of the year.

Seems like almost every year after the all-star game they go on a brutal skid that leaves fans questioning their motives.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Wait..pound heads? Who? We still need something that can play top 9 before they make Reeves assistant press box cheerleader.

McMann and Knies can definitely bring the pain.

So can Benoit. I was surprised to see OEL has a bit of a mean streak in him. I also think we could see a few more of the other grunts try to impress Berube by throwing down a lot more this year.

And I expect pretty much everyone on the team including OEL, and possibly even Benoit, will score more goals than Reaves this year.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
McMann and Knies can definitely bring the pain.

So can Benoit. I was surprised to see OEL has a bit of a mean streak in him. I also think we could see a few more of the other grunts try to impress Berube by throwing down a lot more this year.

And I expect pretty much everyone on the team including OEL, and possibly even Benoit, will score more goals than Reaves this year.
I was talking in the top 9 forwards. To drop Reeves you need more than Knies and McCann. We are notorious for not having a Clark, Kadri, Domi who will respond when our guys are targeted. Thus Reeves continues to get ice time. I don't know who that guy is....

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Against New York I’d sit Holmberg and put Pacioretty on that third line. And as far as I’m concerned McMann should never see the fourth line again.
Depends, anyone not carrying yheir weight should be sat imo………

Like you said it's only 4 games, so the sample is way too small to really make any conclusions but the directness and power we're playing with is far greater than before. Way less messing around with the puck in the neutral zone, way less curling back and holding possession at all costs. Just fast north-south, get pucks in deep, forecheck and wear the opposing teams defence down and get pucks to the net. I think this playstyle is far more sustainable to winning in the playoffs and it's one where if you can master, teams hate having to deal with this type of opponent.

We haven't played any of NYR, BOS, DAL, EDM, TB, CAR yet, so we will have to prove we can play this way against the leagues elite and consistently.
Stules did s loop de loop play on the first goal, I’ll bet Berube would of disliked that if they hadn’t of scored, I hate that fancy cutie shit…….

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
First, I wouldn't put too much stock in what players say in public about each other, especially current teammates. It's virtually always 'nice noises'.
it wasn't a nice-guy answer. And Nylander has brought up chemistry more than once. A tank in front of the net who can finish is auto-chemistry for any winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad