Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Swiss decided not to honour KHL contracts.

They don't really have to since the KHL is not part of the IIHF.

This follows Ivan Ryabkin who is under contract with Dynamo Moscow but will join the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the USHL, simply not honouring his KHL deal.

NHL, your move.

Isn't that the risk of the player/agent? KHL decided years ago to not take part of the transfer agreement so what are the legal impacts they can take if players decide not to stay and honor their KHL contract?

What liabilities does the other league have if they allow a signing like that?

I'm not sure but my hunch says the liabilities falls on the player/agent.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I guess the plan was to neg him, wreck his confidence to the point where he believes he actually needs more time with SKA to succeed as a player??

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Isn't that the risk of the player/agent? KHL decided years ago to not take part of the transfer agreement so what are the legal impacts they can take if players decide not to stay and honor their KHL contract?

What liabilities does the other league have if they allow a signing like that?

I'm not sure but my hunch says the liabilities falls on the player/agent.
The KHL was still part of the IIHF until last July (when they broke up with the Russian Hockey Federation). As long as they were part of the IIHF, contractual dispute, like this one, could be appealed to the IIHF and they would punish the guilty parties (see Flyers- Ivan Federov stuff from a few years ago). Now the KHL has no power (or voice) to enforce their contract outside of Russia.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
The KHL was still part of the IIHF until last July (when they broke up with the Russian Hockey Federation). As long as they were part of the IIHF, contractual dispute, like this one, could be appealed to the IIHF and they would punish the guilty parties (see Flyers- Ivan Federov stuff from a few years ago). Now the KHL has no power (or voice) to enforce their contract outside of Russia.
Exactly, they have to use KHL rules only to enforce it and honestly who gives a shit. Kristof is slovakian, when is he going back to Russia?

Its a dangerous precedent for the KHL and non-russian players. Zero leverage.

BTW, the fact that they parted with the Russian Hockey Federation, also means that the Canadiens can at ANY time negotiate directly with SKA compensation to release Demidov.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
BTW, the fact that they parted with the Russian Hockey Federation, also means that the Canadiens can at ANY time negotiate directly with SKA compensation to release Demidov.
They can't, the NHL CBA forbids it (old rule that forbid dealing players with any leagues that aren't under a NHL transferer agreement).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly, they have to use KHL rules only to enforce it and honestly who gives a shit. Kristof is slovakian, when is he going back to Russia?

Its a dangerous precedent for the KHL and non-russian players. Zero leverage.

With the Habs using Price to get well under the cap, we should have a few dollars kicking around to pay SKA and get Demidov over here? :sarcasm:

They can't, the NHL CBA forbids it (old rule that forbid dealing players with any leagues that aren't under a NHL transferer agreement).

Good luck proving anything with a behind the scenes deal. I'm pretty sure the Flyers pulled that off with Michkov

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Good luck proving anything with a behind the scenes deal. I'm pretty sure the Flyers pulled that off with Michkov
Michkov is technically loaned this season (SKA are the ones who decide where he plays if he can't stay in the NHL) and he bought back the last year of his contract which is allowed by KHL rules.

The Flyers didn't have to advance money to anyone to make this happen.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Fair to them to offer 1m 1yr.

Fair to Demidov to say no as it delays his post ELC pay-day.

If it was a deal like Kapanen where 25-26 is either NHL or KHL and elc year 1 is burned maybe he would take it?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Michkov is technically loaned this season (SKA are the ones who decide where he plays if he can't stay in the NHL) and he bought back the last year of his contract which is allowed by KHL rules.

The Flyers didn't have to advance money to anyone to make this happen.

That's the face value of this. We don't know what happened or agreed behind the scenes. That's the point.

Let me ask you this? What is the incentive for the loan from SKA? Why would they all of a sudden allow it? I have to believe that SKA got some sort of incentive

Reactions: 1909

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
That's the face value of this. We don't know what happened or agreed behind the scenes. That's the point.

Let me ask you this? What is the incentive for the loan from SKA? Why would they all of a sudden allow it? I have to believe that SKA got some sort of incentive
They knew for sure they couldn’t break Michkov and wanted to focus all their energies in breaking the bigger fish, Demidov?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They knew for sure they couldn’t break Michkov and wanted to focus all their energies in breaking the bigger fish, Demidov?

I guess they can try but money talks. $1M is not comparable or any kind of incentive to convince him to stay for one more year. All they are doing is messing around with young players development by reducing his ice time because he don't want to back himself in a corner.

They are playing poker as the low stack and trying to double up with two pairs. Good luck! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad