Sportsnet: Leafs are Shopping Phaneuf - MOD WARNING #394

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Trading Phaneuf for a future #1C is the only thing that makes sense.

Anything less would be a step backward to me. Dion is still a good defencman. The bad seed accusations are silly. He is not. A media member who was in the room with him privately tweeted me, Dion is a good teammate, he just isn't a Captain for this team.

If we are going to part with Dion, a high draft pick is the only thing that makes sense.

Unless a team deals a top 6C to us, but given how scarce they are, drafting may be the only way to get one.

When the Dion deal comes down, I just hope a Center in one form or the other is part of the deal. To trade him for a winger or another D man is a waste IMO.

lol. Maybe we can trade him to Phily for Giroux:laugh:

Steal a 2nd good player from them.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Anything less would be a step backward to me. Dion is still a good defencman. The bad seed accusations are silly. He is not. A media member who was in the room with him privately tweeted me, Dion is a good teammate, he just isn't a Captain for this team.

If we are going to part with Dion, a high draft pick is the only thing that makes sense.

Unless a team deals a top 6C to us, but given how scarce they are, drafting may be the only way to get one.

When the Dion deal comes down, I just hope a Center in one form or the other is part of the deal. To trade him for a winger or another D man is a waste IMO.

Please post this tweet......

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

It seems like you still don't understand what ails the Leafs. Defense was the biggest problem this season. If we get a good defender back and it is good value why not make the trade.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

In my opinion, it's very unlikely the Leafs receive what you are looking for.

I think the only way a Phaneuf trade happens is if what Kypreos said is true, and the man in your avatar decides he wants to change the direction and he's not sold on Phaneuf.

Most likely, the return would end up as a package of young players and/or futures. My opinion, anyway.

I'm not under any illusion that trading Phaneuf is somehow better for the Leafs short term, but I'll admit I'm scared what that contract will look like in a few years if Phaneuf starts showing wear and tear.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
It seems like you still don't understand what ails the Leafs. Defense was the biggest problem this season. If we get a good defender back and it is good value why not make the trade.

Does it really matter if we get a centre or defense? We get a centre and Kadri probably gets traded for a defensemen.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
We have to add in my opinion. Or take a contract they don't want back.

yeah probably. when the pens put him on the market they'll probably get offered something outstanding. would have to put in JVR to even get a look

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Good defensive teams are a product of all 5 players on the ice being defensively responsible . It's not the sole responsibility of the d while the forwards float around looking to score .

Acquring a quality C that can maintain possession and is solid defensively is just as important as finding a solid blue liner .

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Inter division deals dont happen often but a lot of people in the forum have been speculating a Pheanuf trade to Detroit.

:leafs
Tatar or Franzen
Oulette
Kindl
Det 2nd 2015

:wings
Pheanuf
Gauthier
Tor 6th 2014

Perhaps change that 6th rounder to a 7th or 5th. Good trade.Depends on who has the leverage. I say a 5th since Toronto is shopping him.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Good defensive teams are a product of all 5 players on the ice being defensively responsible . It's not the sole responsibility of the d while the forwards float around looking to score .

Acquring a quality C that can maintain possession and is solid defensively is just as important as finding a solid blue liner .

Possession game is a huge problem for the Leafs. Way to much run and gun.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Possession game is a huge problem for the Leafs. Way to much run and gun.

LOL! These past 2 years hasn't been anywhere near run & gun it was rope & dope.... They would have been a better team if they played more of an offensive game;)

Puck possession isn't regarded by the good old Canadian dump & grind game. In fact your giving up possession to play that game and grind the wall.

Detroit was the first team to go away from this game and have adopted the old SOVIET PUCK POSSESION GAME that's based around skill & skating to open up passes... That's why they've been EURO HEAVY for the past 20 + years and extremely successful.

More & more teams especially with the rules that were implicated to rid the clutch & grab skill killing hockey are playing more of the EUROPEAN puck possession game to control and dictate a game rather than dump & chase play defense first game that Carlyle seems to believe he 's watching in the playoffs.

The game has changed... Defensive hockey of the past has gone the way of the doo doo bird. It's now an offensive zone puck control game spend more time in the O zone than the D zone and the way that starts is by having puck possession through the neutral zone and into the O zone... Dump & chase is the last resort that really only teams with no talent play and that's what Carlyle has deployed for his last 4 seasons going back to his days in Anaheim... He's the one that needs to change and get with the times.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
LOL! These past 2 years hasn't been anywhere near run & gun it was rope & dope.... They would have been a better team if they played more of an offensive game;)

Puck possession isn't regarded by the good old Canadian dump & grind game. In fact your giving up possession to play that game and grind the wall.

Detroit was the first team to go away from this game and have adopted the old SOVIET PUCK POSSESION GAME that's based around skill & skating to open up passes... That's why they've been EURO HEAVY for the past 20 + years and extremely successful.

More & more teams especially with the rules that were implicated to rid the clutch & grab skill killing hockey are playing more of the EUROPEAN puck possession game to control and dictate a game rather than dump & chase play defense first game that Carlyle seems to believe he 's watching in the playoffs.

The game has changed... Defensive hockey of the past has gone the way of the doo doo bird. It's now an offensive zone puck control game spend more time in the O zone than the D zone and the way that starts is by having puck possession through the neutral zone and into the O zone... Dump & chase is the last resort that really only teams with no talent play and that's what Carlyle has deployed for his last 4 seasons going back to his days in Anaheim... He's the one that needs to change and get with the times.

Never mentioned dump and chase. What we often do is spend five minutes hemmed in our end holding on for dear life. Then get the puck, skate down the ice, shoot the puck, get a chance or two, and if we don't score.....repeat the process. Wish we had more guys that were better at the possession game like you described.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Never mentioned dump and chase. What we often do is spend five minutes hemmed in our end holding on for dear life. Then get the puck, skate down the ice, shoot the puck, get a chance or two, and if we don't score.....repeat the process. Wish we had more guys that were better at the possession game like you described.

We have those and don't use them right and if some people had there way we be trading 2 of the best we have at that in Gardiner and Kadri.

There's a lot of negativity thrown out at the players right now. They're not perfect and can certainly all improve as individuals but as a rule in team sports individual players are products of the environment they're in. The environment of team hockey the coaches are responsible for and we not only retained but extended the head coach :help: responsible for the team game we seen for 2 straight years of rope & dope, shackles on PMD a big proponent of puck possession, long stretch pass , dump & chase Defensive first hockey.

My buddy said it best if your looking to improve the roster start by up grading your weakest link to add depth. If your looking to improve a poor team game fire the coach.... Looks like we're going backwards;)

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
We have those and don't use them right and if some people had there way we be trading 2 of the best we have at that in Gardiner and Kadri.

There's a lot of negativity thrown out at the players right now. They're not perfect and can certainly all improve as individuals but as a rule in team sports individual players are products of the environment they're in. The environment of team hockey the coaches are responsible for and we not only retained but extended the head coach :help: responsible for the team game we seen for 2 straight years of rope & dope, shackles on PMD a big proponent of puck possession, long stretch pass , dump & chase Defensive first hockey.

My buddy said it best if your looking to improve the roster start by up grading your weakest link to add depth. If your looking to improve a poor team game fire the coach.... Looks like we're going backwards;)

Absolutely agree with you

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Kessel, Rielly, 2014 1st, Kadri. Yeah this is what it would take, and yeah we wouldn't do it. And probably shouldn't. You have to consider that teams will be lining up with offers.

lmao wtf. That's a horrible overpayment.

so 8th overall(top 6 great prospect) Kessel(who's had the same amount of points in last 200 games or so)+Blue Chip D-man+2nd line C

I think Malkin is one of the Top C's in the league, but this is a team sport, and he hasnt done anything with Pitty in a while, not to mention he is very much a 60 game per season kind of player these days.

Personally I think it would take something like Kessel+Kadri+2nd for Malkin at most, that's a fair trade and improves both teams. Either way not worth it though IMO, rather just hope we draft a C or get one in UFA.

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City
Malkin? Haha brutal, not a chance.

Yakupov was mentioned earlier, he'd be a good target. Kid has 40/40 potential. Elite talent is always welcome, especially at 20 years old. Yak-kadri would be nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad