Sportsnet: Leafs are Shopping Phaneuf - MOD WARNING #394

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I personally would trade Dion for ROR 1 for 1, without eating any of Dions cap.

Sign Ryan long-term, potientially 8 years at 6mil or soemthing.

If a deal like this happened, i'd suspect Kadri would be moved for a dman to replace Dion.

I would make that deal too, I think It's fair value. I wouldn't add anything. Kadri would essentially be gone if we get a top two centre for Phaneuf.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I personally would trade Dion for ROR 1 for 1, without eating any of Dions cap.

Sign Ryan long-term, potientially 8 years at 6mil or soemthing.

If a deal like this happened, i'd suspect Kadri would be moved for a dman to replace Dion.

Literally impossible.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That wasn't the point though as players get traded all the time even good ones. .The point is the reason behind and the intent towards improvement.

When Pronger was traded from Edmonton he wanted out.. When Anaheim acquired him they thought they were going to get better through trade. Edmonton receive a bounty that included Lupul, Smid, and even the 1st that they picked Jordan Eberle with + more.

I was asking why do people think Toronto is trying to trade Phaneuf? If you are shopping a player it goes to reason that keeping him is not your first choice.

So are Toronto trying to trade him to get better, or are they simply trying to get rid of him and go in another direction.. We know Phaneuf is not the one forcing the issue like your Pronger example.

If you are trying to rebuild your team in a substantial way, are you going to do it by trading valuable assets or average assets ? ... What gives you more value Dion trade or and Ashton trade? Kessel trade or D'Amigo?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you are trying to rebuild your team in a substantial way, are you going to do it by trading valuable assets or average assets ? ... What gives you more value Dion trade or and Ashton trade? Kessel trade or D'Amigo?

Agreed no question, by attaching greater value you are suggesting greater potential return, which is fine. But are the Leafs trying to trade Phaneuf to get better, or just changing the team dynamics, or its cap structure, or its leadership. all of the above or something else?

The removal of Phaneuf has to have a purpose that Leafs feel they can get by trading him as opposed to keeping him. What they get in return must be relevant to the reason behind trading him.

Tyler Biggs*

To me letting people know you will entertain offers is the same as shopping players.

I won't go shopping if I know certain items are not available - but I will if I think they might be available . Semantics - the reality is Leafs are looking for dance partners for a trade for some or all of these players.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Agreed no question, by attaching greater value you are suggesting greater potential return, which is fine. But are the Leafs trying to trade Phaneuf to get better, or just changing the team dynamics, or its cap structure, or its leadership. all of the above or something else?

The removal of Phaneuf has to have a purpose that Leafs feel they can get by trading him as opposed to keeping him. What they get in return must be relevant to the reason behind trading him.

The return will explain everything.....I do not see us getting a high return for him unless we add a prospect to the deal and or take back salary! Calgary did not make a hockey trade and I do not think we will as well.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
We dont need a ROR. we have one named Tyler Bozak. The avs dont go with ROR, they go with Duchenne/Mackinnon. Those are players we need to get (and those top level talent players usually found in the top 5 of the draft, but we shouldn't tank amirite?)

member 147413

I honestly have no idea of Phaneufs value. If it's on the higher end, I suggest we eat 25% of his contract and package him with something else to EDM for 3rd Overall plus something small.

To Edmonton:

Phaneuf @ 5.25mil per year
Bolland/Kulemin rights (whichever they prefer)
Ashton (Doesn't seem like Carlyle is willing to give him a chance)

To Toronto:

3rd Overall
Mitch Moroz (similar to Ashton, but yet to play in AHL)

Jacob8hockey*

Just a random thought but would Phaneuf be the best D man traded since he got traded to Toronto?

I can't recall any better D men moving since then.

EDIT: Forgot Jaybo who as a pending UFA returned 1st + Reto Berra (2nd COL) + Mark Cundari (B Prospect?)

Last edited by a moderator:

member 147413

Just a random thought but would Phaneuf be the best D man traded since he got traded to Toronto?

EDIT: Forgot Jaybo who as a pending UFA returned 1st + Reto Berra (2nd COL) + Mark Cundari (B Prospect?)

Erik Johnson potentially. Ryan McDonagh sort of. But none in their primes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Edmonton is interested (which all commentators seem to indicate they are), I think i'd love to get Yakupov - he seems to be on the outs with management, and this may make facilitating the trade a little bit easier since Phaneuf's NMC expires on July 1st (after this year's draft).

I know Yakupov may not be the most popular choice around here given everyone's newfound obsession with "two way play" and "grit" - but he's a former recent 1st overall, has TONS of untapped potential, and is at a super low value right now, and is on an amazing cap-controllable contract. If he develops as he should, he could make one of our other expensive wingers (ie Kessel) expendable in a trade to grab another vital piece.

Edit: ROR would be another great piece too. The Avs need to upgrade their defence, and ROR is already on an expensive contract - however, I have a feeling that Yak is more available.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well if Phaneuf is still here next season, it will mean Nonis couldn't even get a bag of pucks for him.

Obviously. It's also true for every player on every Team that has ever been rumoured to move but wasn't.

Lots of worthless Players in the League.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
If Edmonton is interested (which all commentators seem to indicate they are), I think i'd love to get Yakupov - he seems to be on the outs with management, and this may make facilitating the trade a little bit easier since Phaneuf's NMC expires on July 1st (after this year's draft).

I know Yakupov may not be the most popular choice around here given everyone's newfound obsession with "two way play" and "grit" - but he's a former recent 1st overall, has TONS of untapped potential, and is at a super low value right now, and is on an amazing cap-controllable contract. If he develops as he should, he could make one of our other expensive wingers (ie Kessel) expendable in a trade to grab another vital piece.

Edit: ROR would be another great piece too. The Avs need to upgrade their defence, and ROR is already on an expensive contract - however, I have a feeling that Yak is more available.

Honestly can't see Brendan or Nonis remotely interested in trading Dion for Yak. And I can't blame them.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

If there's anyway to get Yakupov I take it and run.

His reputation has gone totally to **** this year, and like you said, people seem to all have their panties wet about "2 way" and "grit."

Yakupov can absolutely explode as soon as next year. People seem to be forgetting about the ridiculous offensive skillset he possess.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We dont need a ROR. we have one named Tyler Bozak. The avs dont go with ROR, they go with Duchenne/Mackinnon. Those are players we need to get (and those top level talent players usually found in the top 5 of the draft, but we shouldn't tank amirite?)

ROR for Phaneuf would be a dream and would be a solid C option

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
What about Couture... The only way i see eating some of Phaneufs salary in a trade as something i would do is if it for a player like Logan. Phaneuf would be stellar on San Joses blue line. Think about him and Vlasic together...

Maybe Phaneuf 1 mil retained plus 8th overall for 19th overall and Couture.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
What about Couture... The only way i see eating some of Phaneufs salary in a trade as something i would do is if it for a player like Logan. Phaneuf would be stellar on San Joses blue line. Think about him and Vlasic together...

Maybe Phaneuf 1 mil retained plus 8th overall for 19th overall and Couture.

He'd be a great fit for the Sharks, but the Sharks wouldn't be interested in trading a core piece like Logon. They probably do something like their 1st and a couple average prospects

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

McDonagh?

Erick Johnson

Jack Johnson

I would put those 3 close to DP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trading Phaneuf for a future #1C is the only thing that makes sense.

Anything less would be a step backward to me. Dion is still a good defencman. The bad seed accusations are silly. He is not. A media member who was in the room with him privately tweeted me, Dion is a good teammate, he just isn't a Captain for this team.

If we are going to part with Dion, a high draft pick is the only thing that makes sense.

Unless a team deals a top 6C to us, but given how scarce they are, drafting may be the only way to get one.

When the Dion deal comes down, I just hope a Center in one form or the other is part of the deal. To trade him for a winger or another D man is a waste IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad