Sportsnet: Leafs are Shopping Phaneuf - MOD WARNING #394

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
People have to ask them selves why was Dion traded from Calgary for the package they got....it was not a salary dump.

Now again ask yourselves.....why are we rumored to be looking to move him now....as we were rumored to be last summer?

Sometimes you just have to cut bait!

You get the sense that that's where the organization finds themselves right now - that they aren't looking for a hockey deal, but to cut bait, as long as they get a semi-reasonable piece coming back the other way.

Best guess is that at some point during the evaluation of the organization, management has identified that Phaneuf at 7 x 7 isn't a good investment into the future. Maybe arriving at that determination is down to Shanahan. Who knows.

But I think the Leafs would much rather have $2-3 million of Phaneuf on their books in a half-decent trade with retained salary, than have Phaneuf back in October.

His time his up, and it's not entirely his fault. But that's the price you pay in this city.

Whether he's warranted it or not, he's become the face of failure and losing for this organization.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
There's not a coach in the league that could go into Edmonton and do a half decent job at this point in their development.

For a team that was better on paper than last year's and supposed to improve, they regressed badly. I agree, but given how highly Eakins was touted, you'd hope he brought at least one positive thing there but he hasn't just go see how Oiler fans all view him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People have to ask them selves why was Dion traded from Calgary for the package they got....it was not a salary dump.

Now again ask yourselves.....why are we rumored to be looking to move him now....as we were rumored to be last summer?

At the time of the trade to Toronto Phaneuf was just entering his prime at age 25, was putting up 50+60 point seasons. He was being traded from a reason.

At that point Burke claimed he would only make the Phanuef trade if the Flames added one of their top prospects Keith Aulie to the trade for Stajan, Hagman and Ian White. Without Aulie no deal as the price was considered too high.

Now 4 years later Phaneuf is on the market again this time 29 and his contract bigger and longer and his point production down significantly to only 31 points.

Wonder what a similar trade would look like today Phaneuf + a top D prospect (Percy, Granberg, Finn) for the equivalent of Stajan, Hagman and White. I don't think a lot of fans would be happy even if the return was equal to the original one today despite the decline of Phaneuf over time.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
At the time of the trade to Toronto Phaneuf was just entering his prime at age 25, was putting up 50+60 point seasons. He was being traded from a reason.

At that point Burke claimed he would only make the Phanuef trade if the Flames added one of their top prospects Keith Aulie to the trade for Stajan, Hagman and Ian White. Without Aulie no deal as the price was considered too high.

Now 4 years later Phaneuf is on the market again this time 29 and his contract bigger and longer and his point production down significantly to only 31 points.

Wonder what a similar trade would look like today Phaneuf + a top D prospect (Percy, Granberg, Finn) for the equivalent of Stajan, Hagman and White. I don't think a lot of fans would be happy even if the return was equal to the original one today despite the decline of Phaneuf over time.

Phaneuf is a much better all around player now, better puck mover, good QB on the PP and at times very stellar defensively.. He can play against other teams top lines, hes proven that.. In calgary he was just a point shot and an open ice hitter.. Hes developed into a fine defenseman all around... Teams will be willing to give up quality to get him. Especially if we cut down his salary by 1 mil.. the Western teams will be lined up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You get the sense that that's where the organization finds themselves right now - that they aren't looking for a hockey deal, but to cut bait, as long as they get a semi-reasonable piece coming back the other way.

Best guess is that at some point during the evaluation of the organization, management has identified that Phaneuf at 7 x 7 isn't a good investment into the future. Maybe arriving at that determination is down to Shanahan. Who knows.

But I think the Leafs would much rather have $2-3 million of Phaneuf on their books in a half-decent trade with retained salary, than have Phaneuf back in October.

His time his up, and it's not entirely his fault. But that's the price you pay in this city.

Whether he's warranted it or not, he's become the face of failure and losing for this organization.

Reimer Biggs Dion Lupul to Calgary. Return unknown but wouldn't that be a doozy

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Who would you rather have Dion Phaneuf or Jay Bouwmeester?

2013-14 stats
Phaneuf... 80 games 8-23-31 points +2
Jay Bow .. 82 games 4-33-37 points +26

- Jay Bow age 30, Phaneuf age 29
- Jay Bow on Team Canada, Phaneuf not on team Canada.

New contracts beginning 2014-15 season
Phaneuf contract 7 years @ $7.0 mil cap
Jay Bow contract 5 years @ $5.4 mil cap (-$2.6 mil dif)

For reference in trade value:
Jay Bouwmeester traded to Blues for Mark Cundari (defense - Age 24, 5-9 185lbs, undrafted), rights to unsigned goalie Reto Berra, and 2013 first round pick (#22-Emile Poirier) on 2013-04-01

If that was the return for Jay Bow and you think Bouwmeester has the better contract and better player then would you be happy if the Leafs could get a similar return for Phaneuf?

Let Phaneuf play with Pietrangelo and the St. Louis Blues and see how well he does, and at the same time reverse the situations for J-bo. He was junk in Calgary and when put in a much better situation he played better, wow some extremely ground-breaking info their.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
As crappy of a season Yak has had, I doubt Phaneuf returns that kind of price even if we wind up keeping $14 million over 7 years. Yak has a lot to prove this year, Edmonton would be selling at an all time low.
Thank goodness Gms are not posters here. It is not like teams don't view Dion as an effective all-round defences who can produce 40 points while shutting down the best. You just don't post a goals against per 60 that is lower under a "slump" year and somehow aren't more than a mid pairing defenceman.

Btw, moving Phaneuf means that Edmonton needs to add a project forward, low pick as well. I don't view Yakupov as an all around threat, he's our next Kessel.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let Phaneuf play with Pietrangelo and the St. Louis Blues and see how well he does, and at the same time reverse the situations for J-bo. He was junk in Calgary and when put in a much better situation he played better, wow some extremely ground-breaking info their.

That's why when trading it's good to get the second best players on the worst teams. They are victims of circumstance.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
If Phaneuf is such a good player then why are Toronto willing to trade him when they themselves are trying to get better?

Why would the Leafs not likely get anything near in value in return when trading a top-20 Dman? Something must be a factor !!

Pronger was traded 3 times in what, 5 years? I guess he isn't as good as most think.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Do you see what everyone is saying though? Let Phaneuf play somewhere else and see how good he is. Bring J-Bo in here and he will struggle? Why, why is that? Because this team is not very good. If the Leafs were a house you'd be standing in a hole with no roof and 4 walls. That's how we've been built.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do you see what everyone is saying though? Let Phaneuf play somewhere else and see how good he is. Bring J-Bo in here and he will struggle? Why, why is that? Because this team is not very good. If the Leafs were a house you'd be standing in a hole with no roof and 4 walls. That's how we've been built.

Good analogy lol, the problems are positional too but certainly stemming from the defensive play of the forwards.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

People have to ask themselves why was Doug Gilmour traded from Calgary and why subsequently Toronto traded him away to NJ?

People have to ask themselves why Seguin was traded away from Boston?

People have to ask themselves why Jake Gardnier was traded away from Anaheim?

People have to ask themselves why Joe Thornton was traded from Boston in the prime of his career?

Sometimes you just have to accept the fact MOST players are traded because of their value not because they fit a persons negative biased view of a particular player.

Sometimes ya just gotta stop the hatin' ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Watched that video in the link. Kyper says its a possibility that Phaneuf is back in Toronto next season, but the way he said it sounded like he thinks Phaneuf is going to be traded.

Also said it's the preference of the Leafs (and the Sens with Spezza) to move Phaneuf out West, but it's not a strict limitation.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Not sure if anyone has seen this or it has been discussed, but Sportsnet put together some potential Phaneuf suitors as well as some trade chips from said teams.

Theres some good names as possible trade bait...

Most of those names are terrible and/or not what would we need. Majority of them definitely don't fit our timeline to win or their contract controllable years don't at least.

The only names that interested me were ROR and Evander Kane.

From Edmonton Darnell Nurse or their 3rd overall interest me a lot more than any of the names they mentioned. Reports of the pick that landed Nurse last year was that it was being shopped for Schneider or Coburn.

Carolina is one team not noted their that I could see a deal with:

Jordan Staal or Elias Lindholm would help us down the middle + we could take on the terrible Cam Ward contract to offset the first 2 years of Phaneufs deal.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
I see that the main board seem to see O'Rielly as much more valuable than Dion and I don't see it that way.

I personally would trade Dion for ROR 1 for 1, without eating any of Dions cap.

Sign Ryan long-term, potientially 8 years at 6mil or soemthing.

If a deal like this happened, i'd suspect Kadri would be moved for a dman to replace Dion.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pronger was traded 3 times in what, 5 years? I guess he isn't as good as most think.

That wasn't the point though as players get traded all the time even good ones. .The point is the reason behind and the intent towards improvement.

When Pronger was traded from Edmonton he wanted out.. When Anaheim acquired him they thought they were going to get better through trade. Edmonton receive a bounty that included Lupul, Smid, and even the 1st that they picked Jordan Eberle with + more.

I was asking why do people think Toronto is trying to trade Phaneuf? If you are shopping a player it goes to reason that keeping him is not your first choice.

So are Toronto trying to trade him to get better, or are they simply trying to get rid of him and go in another direction.. We know Phaneuf is not the one forcing the issue like your Pronger example.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Nick Kypreos:

Nick Kypreos:

Nick Kypreos:

He's a first line D man. He just breaks down without the help because he gets played in all of the tough situations because our other D pairings aren't pure defensive partnerships either. Again, cut back on some of that and let him get back and all of the sudden you'll see some improvement.

At least give him more O-zone starts. It's a wonder that Randy doesn't use his best Dman in the O-zone to try and keep possession. It's even more ridiculous when he says he doesn't know why we can't keep possession. :facepalm:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well if Phaneuf is still here next season, it will mean Nonis couldn't even get a bag of pucks for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad