Rumor: Leafs and Oilers will not be looking for a Goalie at the Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If you're the Leafs you have 2 goalies who have a history of being average/above-average. Gotta figure one will start playing well come playoff time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Everybody can make all the jokes they want but who exactly that's realistically available is a CLEAR upgrade on the Toronto and Edmonton goalies?

Teams generally make big goalie moves in the offseason.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
If you're the Leafs you have 2 goalies who have a history of being average/above-average. Gotta figure one will start playing well come playoff time.

…and if you are Oilers you are aware that you have 2 goalies that have a history of not being average/below even average…

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So does this mean a big upgrade on defense is coming? Because that is the only thing that helps the Oilers goaltending without getting another goaltender.

8477499.jpg

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Most Ducks fans speculate that he will want out if the Ducks lose/trade Lindholm. He has has a pretty shitty attitude whenever the Ducks have been bad over the past like 3 seasons.

Also, if the Ducks lose/trade Lindholm that sets their rebuild back a few years.
hmm, that makes sense. Is Lindolm going to sign or does he want to test UFA?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
All the people laughing (regarding Toronto), who’s available that would be an improvement?

Everybody can make all the jokes they want but who exactly that's realistically available is a CLEAR upgrade on the Toronto and Edmonton goalies?

Teams generally make big goalie moves in the offseason.

I have no doubt that fans would turn around and laugh at the idea of Halak or Korpisalo, and their sub-.900 SV%s, being the answer to either team's goalie question mark.

Fleury is a unique case. He needs to want to leave Chicago.

Reactions: Just a Fan

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Oilers will definitely be after an upgrade if one is available. That said I’m pretty sure we ride with Koskinen as 1 of our goalies. If any goalie is moved in a deal for an upgrade it will be Mike Smith. He’s only got 1 year left but we need the cap off the books. Koskinen is going to be off the books at seasons end and we won’t be paying assets to move him. You either pay up for a 1a goalie and have Koskinen be backup while Skinner gets heavy mins on the Condors or you. Or you keep the status quo. That would suck but so too would be paying assets for the likes of Georgiev, Korpisalo, Greiss, Halak, Holtby or any similar tier backup goalie.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
…and if you are Oilers you are aware that you have 2 goalies that have a history of not being average/below even average…
Its clearly been an issue in Edmonton for years. Not sure why Holland went into this season with Koskinen and an aging Smith.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There is a chance we do nothing as it doesn't appear there are a lot of clear cut upgrades, but who knows what becomes available and how our current goalies play over the next couple weeks.

We get lit up by Chicago and Montreal the next two games and things could change

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't believe Chris Johnson's expectations are rooted in anything but getting more clicks.

It's been reported that Holland has been making offers on goalies, so I'm not sure I believe this

I never heard he made any offers . He inquired about a few cast offs like Jones in Philly but the price was too high for us to down grade .

Maybe Holland needs glass I can not see for the life of me inquiring about the Jones of the world . It would be like trying to plug the hole in the Titanic with a tire plug .

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Its clearly been an issue in Edmonton for years. Not sure why Holland went into this season with Koskinen and an aging Smith.

Even worse he gave him a 2 year deal. Holland didn’t have a good off season. Still hoping he can salvage this. Team needs 2 big issues addressed.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So they've committed to not improving their teams in the way that would have the most impact. Makes sense.

What goalies are realistically available, that are good enough and reliable enough to make a meaningful improvement?

The trade market for goalies is pretty thin. Guys like Khudobin, Korpisalo, Holtby, Greiss, Jones, etc. aren't exactly surefire upgrades (if at all).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have no doubt that fans would turn around and laugh at the idea of Halak or Korpisalo, and their sub-.900 SV%s, being the answer to either team's goalie question mark.

Fleury is a unique case. He needs to want to leave Chicago.

That's exactly it. Fleury and Varlamov too, if you want to throw him in there, have this thing called a No Trade Clause and usually players who have those things, usually have Edmonton especially on their No Trade list. Maybe Toronto has a shot.

I see a lot of lolz in this thread but very few actually presenting any realistic options that would be a clear and obvious upgrade for either team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad