Friedman: Leafs and Knies talking extension

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Then he'll be going somewhere else, I guess.
Possibly. But he's not worth it anymore and I'm still a fan of JT's.

Could see a Stammer situation again, but I'm leaning towards JT preferring to stay in Toronto rather than relocate given hes made a lot of $ the last 7 years. If he wants to chase the bank again, I'll wish him good luck!

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Possibly. But he's not worth it anymore and I'm still a fan of JT's.

Could see a Stammer situation again, but I'm leaning towards JT preferring to stay in Toronto rather than relocate given hes made a lot of $ the last 7 years. If he wants to chase the bank again, I'll wish him good luck!

The comparable I'd look at is Pavelski's 3 x $7M in 2019.

Roughly the same age. Roughly the same production. It'd inflate to about $7.95M under a $92.5M cap.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The comparable I'd look at is Pavelski's 3 x $7M in 2019.

Roughly the same age. Roughly the same production. It'd inflate to about $7.95M under a $92.5M cap.

Not a good comparison at all...

Pavelski wasn't re-signing with his team so he likely went to the highest bidder. JT also had made a lot more during his career at this point whereas this was Pavelski's highest contract aav.

He was also coming off a 38g season and JT's last season was 29g in a higher scoring season.

I'm not making an argument that JT can't get more $ from a desperate team in UFA compared to the Leafs... I'm saying he's not worth that anymore and he shouldn't touch anything close to that if he stays with the Leafs.

I'm a big JT fan.

His real value right now (we'll see how this season goes) is probably around 2x6.5m/yr and goes down if he prefers more years.

For the Leafs, Id expect something around 5m/yr. As a UFA, im sure he gets a bid at 7m+.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Pavelski wasn't re-signing with his team so he likely went to the highest bidder. JT also had made a lot more during his career at this point whereas this was Pavelski's highest contract aav.

He was also coming off a 38g season and JT's last season was 29g in a higher scoring season.

I'm not making an argument that JT can't get more $ from a desperate team in UFA compared to the Leafs... I'm saying he's not worth that anymore and he shouldn't touch anything close to that if he stays with the Leafs.

I'm a big JT fan.

His real value right now (we'll see how this season goes) is probably around 2x6.5m/yr and goes down if he prefers more years.

For the Leafs, Id expect something around 5m/yr. As a UFA, im sure he gets a bid at 7m+.

Their production is relatively similar even if one is weighted toward goals. Fair point that he was UFA, but I don't see there being a $3M difference between JT being on the UFA market or re-signing in Toronto.

He'd essentially have to take a home town discount, which is always possible... But he certainly didn't do it the first time.

EDIT: If you want a non-UFA extension, you could also look at Kane. 1 x $5.5M (Potentially $6.5M) and while Kane produced at a better rate than JT, he's also older and has the circumstances of his hip surgery.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I'm a big JT fan.

Giroux could be a comparison

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
If his agent is any good at all he easily secure's $5 million a year .With Marner most likely leaving ), he'll take 5 years at least .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad