Friedman: Leafs and Knies talking extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
No one thinks Knies is a double digit player in his prime, so on a 5M AAV how much is he potentially shortchanging himself? 3M? And likely he was overpaid his first year or two at 5M to balance that out.
Do you really think he's going to sign a long-term deal at a sweetheart number when he's poised to be stapled to Matthews' wing for a year? He could flirt with 60 points this season

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Shane Pinto signed a 2 year bridge at $3.5M and was reportedly seeking $5M AAV on a 4-6 year deal.

I'd expect a similar bridge or mid-term extension for Knies (maybe slightly higher with a rising cap).

2x3.75M
4/5x5.25M
7/8x6M

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I can't see him taking a long term deal, since he hasn't earned a high cap hit yet. I think they'll bridge him. The Leafs would be lucky to get him at a 4-4.5m cap hit long term, but I don't see it working.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
No, everyone knew the cap would be around 88 when the deal was being negotiated 8 months ago.

There's still multiple a BOG meeting between January when Nylander was signed and when the cap was set, but again, you keep trying.

Even if you want to take your pathetic argument into consideration, it means f*** all when you consider that, inflated, Pasta only makes $350K more than Nylander. So uhh... Good one I guess? :laugh:

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
My reasoning is pretty similar to yours

The risk of an 8 year deal is that Matthews leaves/isnt a capable best player to lead a team to a cup(which despite his repeated playoff failures so far, he still is good enough to win with, he needs to find a way to put it together come spring)

6 year deal is best case, as if Knies is a 55-65 pt PWF we can sell him off for a lot with 2 years left is Matthews walks to kickstart the rebuild. Teams may not want him at 8 year term (4 years left) as its a lot of term and risk of his next deal being one where PWFs fall of in year 2 or 3 of

It also works if Matthews extends, nd the team has won or is close to winning by then as 2 super cheap years at 4.5M before we can extend him to a bigger deal at only 28 years of age vs 30 (2 years could be huge if he falls of at 32/33 and we give him 7-8 years his next deal)

I don't think you get 6 years out of Knies at $4.5m.

Everyone knows the cap is going to jump immensely. Auston Matthews is the epitome of doing that with the 4 year deal so he can get another hit at it.

If he's listening to Auston Matthews (probably, given that probably idolized Matthews growing up), he'll likely want a much higher premium for giving up years 5 and 6.

Personally, I can see a world where you can get Knies at $4.5m x 4.

To get 6 years out of him, it probably needs to be a $5.5 to $6m deal... just based on what Kaiden Guhle ($5.5x6) and Guenther ($7.15x8).

If you're the Leafs, does it make sense to pay an extra $1 - $1.5m for another 2 years? I guess that comes down to whether you think you think that extra bit of cap space might be the difference between winning and losing over the next 4 years.

Personally, looking at where the Leafs are at in contract situations and ages with Matthews & Nylander, I'm a bit more inclined to go 4 years.... especially if he's subscribing to the Matthews school of thought and is adverse to doing an 8-year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad