Post-Game Talk: Leafs 2 Rangers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You really should be more afraid of Panthers than Bruins. Boston isn't 2016-2019 Boston anymore. They're older and bled assets for years. In the playoffs time they probably will give run for your money, but I think they'll have battle to get there. Panthers have been built for this season and utilized all possible cap space and assets for this season. Goaltending was question mark for both teams, but it seems that Bobrovsky is playing like he should with that contract. Quenneville situation was unfortunate for Panthers and might give them trouble, if they hit rough patch during the latter part of the season. Boston has steady coach, but their goaltending is bit of a enigma since Rask is coming from injury and Swayman being the starter and Ullmark paid the starter money.

At this point I'm still giving the benefit of the doubt to proven teams that have done it in the past, particularly when this debate originated based off of pre-season final Atlantic standings predictions. Opinions can certainly evolve as more evidence comes in throughout the season. At this point Boston has only played 13 games total the least in the NHL to date, can we really tell where they will end up in the Atlantic at 82 games? TB has won 2 straight Cups so we know they're for real and they have played all but 3 games this year without Kucherov and still nipping at the heels of our Leafs with 3 games in hand.

Our Leafs were 7-5-1 after their 1st 13 games for 15 points, Boston currently has 8-5-0 for 16 points and actually running ahead of our Leafs at the same point, yet some are already declaring victory for the Leafs. What is misleading at present is Leafs have played 5 more games and because we won those games banked 10 points so it appears there is a much larger gap, but that is simply explained by games in hand. Bruins are still running at a 101 pace for the season, and if you played out those 5 games in hand at their current pace they would have 22 points after 18 games, so I think it way to early to be declaring Leafs are guaranteed to finish ahead of the Bruins. IMO

I was afraid of the upstart Panthers from the start, seeing this as a team on the rise and one that will be battling our Leafs all year long for a playoff spot in the Atlantic Div. :)

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Except when it comes to the Leafs of course.

OK, name me the last time the Leafs finished ahead of the Bruins in the Atlantic Div?

When you discover that answer its never happened yet, that giving the benefit of the doubt to the proven team is not slighting our Leafs, its actually projecting based on past history of taking the favourite. That doesn't even include the fact the Bruins have already beaten our Leafs 2 X in the past 5 years in the playoffs to cement status as being the better team.

The last time we had an Atlantic Div was 2019-20 when the season was cut short to 70 games, and Boston won the President's trophy with 100 points and our Leafs had 81 points after 70 games and in 3rd in the Atlantic behind TB who had 91 points.

I also know Bruins starting goalie is on the way ... From a few days ago - Tuukka Rask: Outlines return timetable

Rask, who underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip in late July, believes that he'll be ready to return to action late this year or early in 2022, NHL.com reports. "I'll be ready to go probably around Christmastime, January," Rask noted Wednesday.

Can our Leafs finish ahead of the Bruins sure, but with over 3/4's of the season left to play, I'd say its way too early to declare a winner based on only stats in evidence today, and should it happen it will be the 1st time ever. So giving the benefit of the doubt to an event that has never happened is not the safe bet, and is not based on evidence its based on hope. :wg:

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
OK, name me the last time the Leafs finished ahead of the Bruins in the Atlantic Div?

When you discover that answer its never happened yet, that giving the benefit of the doubt to the proven team is not slighting our Leafs, its actually projecting based on past history of taking the favourite.

The last time we had an Atlantic Div was 2019-20 when the season was cut short to 70 games, and Boston won the President's trophy with 100 points and our Leafs had 81 points after 70 games and in 3rd in the Atlantic behind TB who has 91 points.

I also know Bruins starting goalie is on the way ... From a few days ago - Tuukka Rask: Outlines return timetable

Rask, who underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip in late July, believes that he'll be ready to return to action late this year or early in 2022, NHL.com reports. "I'll be ready to go probably around Christmastime, January," Rask noted Wednesday.

Can our Leafs finish ahead of the Bruins sure, but with over 3/4's of the season left to play, I'd say it way too early to declare a winner based on only stats in evidence today, and should it happen it will be the 1st time ever.
Some felt Florida wouldn’t be very good either. Their opinions are quite often incorrect.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

When you discover that answer its never happened yet, that giving the benefit of the doubt to the proven team is not slighting our Leafs, its actually projecting based on past history of taking the favourite. That doesn't even include the fact the Bruins have already beaten our Leafs 2 X in the past 5 years in the playoffs to cement status as being the better team.

The last time we had an Atlantic Div was 2019-20 when the season was cut short to 70 games, and Boston won the President's trophy with 100 points and our Leafs had 81 points after 70 games and in 3rd in the Atlantic behind TB who has 91 points.

Can our Leafs finish ahead of the Bruins sure, but with over 3/4's of the season left to play, I'd say its way too early to declare a winner based on only stats in evidence today, and should it happen it will be the 1st time ever. Giving the benefit of the doubt to an event that has never happened is not based on evidence it based on hope. :wg:
Why do you say 'our Leafs'?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Screenshot_20211120-104942_Sheets.jpg

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, things change. You should know this because you've been going on for a while about how decimated the Leafs have been by their minor losses that pale in comparison to the changes that Boston has seen since their peak years. We also finished above them in league standings last year.

Name me the last time the Leafs finished behind the Panthers in the Atlantic division? So why aren't we defaulted above them, like you have with other teams based on past results and ignoring an entire season?
with over 3/4's of the season left to play, I'd say its way too early to declare a winner based on only stats in evidence today
Nobody is declaring a winner. We're just also not needlessly downplaying the Leaf's success thus far and assuming that every team behind us will win every single game in hand. We're not assuming that we're just getting lucky, despite every single metric showing us to be wildly unlucky thus far.

I'm not sure why it's okay to make declarations and predictions with 90%+ of the season left to play, when the Leafs were off to a slow start, despite strong underlying metrics and a strong history of results, but it's not okay to reasonably discuss how things are developing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad