News Article: Leaf fans come 3rd in Survey

Oct 18, 2010
It's so weird that we're not allowed to talk about the reason why this team is a mess. :laugh: Hey guys just talk about the mess but don't ask too many questions. They tried to reinvent the sport and thought they were smarter than the game. In some ways it's cathartic to see selfish arrogant ego maniacs get destroyed like this, but why did it happen in Toronto of all places? Because we're not allowed to talk about it.

I said years ago. The amount of damage we did in such a short period of time will haunt the Leafs for years and years. It was irreversible.

Whoever it was that made those decisions. They had it on a plate and made pretty much every single wrong decision they possibly could.

MLSE allowed Shanahan to do this. Shanahan said last year that he had all intentions to extend Kyle Dubas and that Kyle Dubas did "an excellent job." Shanahan still has his job but his role in the organization will be eliminated after his contract expires in a year. He should be fired. Just like Dubas should've been fired. Why they get to "walk away" with their heads held up high after disrespecting Leaf fans is beyond me.

MLSE is too greedy to fire him. What's another year? It's not like Leaf fans are going anywhere. Why win? It's not like Leaf fans are going anywhere.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't think we're actually that miserable. That the team is synonymous with choking is deeply miserable, but we are competitive and have good players. That makes the games somewhat fun to watch, even if we know how the story ends every year.

On my own, I'm post-misery and into the "having a grand old time bitching about it" phase of things. I'd suspect that after the Montreal loss we were right at the top of misery levels, but that actually lead to transcendence and now they can't hurt me any more! These days I dunk harder on the Leafs than any of my Habs-loving in-laws or coworkers.

And sadly, a lot of my Leafs fans friends were miserable for long enough that they've just tuned out. You need to be freshly screwed for people to still be invested enough to feel some sort of upset.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Team has had success. We have witnessed some great regular seasons with shabby goaltending and all the while your top D isn’t very good defensively.

Playoffs are different because like no other sport ….the rules change.

Open the ice like olympic size and you will see a better game.
More goals and less interference and clutch and grabbing. Let the stars shine instead.

Trade deadline deals will no longer be about picking up big slow D

Enjoy the ride…..could be a lot worse spending decades to find talent like we have currently.

Sun is shining :)
You can keep complaining about the rules in the playoffs, but its always been the same and will remain the same..... so .......I get that the leafs would be better off but personally Im not interested in ice capades style during the playoffs.

Olympic ice would make it a better game? The playoffs were awesome this year...I guess if you want perimeter hockey, the olympic size ice would be good. Our core would love it. No thanks.

Reactions: ToneDog

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Since Dubas signed Tavares, playoff round wins in the East:

Tampa: 11
Florida: 8
Carolina: 8
Boston: 6
NYI: 6
Montreal: 4
NYR: 4
Columbus: 2
Toronto: 1
Philly: 1
Jersey: 1
Washington: 0
Pittsburgh: 0
Detroit: 0
Buffalo: 0
Ottawa: 0

Wow, that's sure as hell not a "top team"...

Quite the opposite! :laugh:

I don’t think there is another GM that has wasted more draft capital as much as Dubas with virtually zero results in the playoffs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2010
Team has had success. We have witnessed some great regular seasons with shabby goaltending and all the while your top D isn’t very good defensively.

Playoffs are different because like no other sport ….the rules change.

Open the ice like olympic size and you will see a better game. More goals and less interference and clutch and grabbing. Let the stars shine instead.

Trade deadline deals will no longer be about picking up big slow D

Enjoy the ride…..could be a lot worse spending decades to find talent like we have currently.

Sun is shining :)

Why not watch the Swiss league? It's better hockey according to you.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1720800892608.png

2018-2019 Tavares first playoffs with Leafs.
38 games 12 + 12 = 24 points

Last edited:

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Why not watch the Swiss league? It's better hockey according to you.

Who said it’s a better league. If you don’t enjoy our stars playing in the Olympics and not think it’s great hockey then that’s on you..

Name me another sport that changes rules in playoffs? There isn’t any

The only excuse this happens it’s because “it’s always beeen like that”
I witnessed the leafs win the cup. Playoffs back then didn’t change the rules in playoffs like today

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Even Kyle has realized the biggest mistake a lot of us said, in an upcoming book. He now realizes the Tavares signing screwed everything up and had an unstoppable cascading affect on everything else. And then mistake after mistake was made trying to slow the snowball down. A snowball that couldn't be stopped.

Reactions: Racer88

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
You can keep complaining about the rules in the playoffs, but its always been the same and will remain the same..... so .......I get that the leafs would be better off but personally Im not interested in ice capades style during the playoffs.

Olympic ice would make it a better game? The playoffs were awesome this year...I guess if you want perimeter hockey, the olympic size ice would be good. Our core would love it. No thanks.
Players are bigger and faster. They wear armour instead of cloth pads and no helmets

The game has changed. Why do rules change in playoffs?

Why don’t keep the rules the same all year? Is it because players would have sore backs and necks from all the crosschecking? Goals would be down because the game would be played in the middle of a the rink? because D can interfere with dumps ins and they play a step up to challenge?

only sport that does this and you excuse is….its always been like this

Imagine if baseball didn’t allow players from the negro league in.

I mean they could easily say….”well it’s the way the game has always been played” Or MLB shortens the fields …I wonder why they did that?

Reactions: Menzinger

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Heard a stat on the Leaf report. No team in NHL history has had a worse playoff record compared to regular season record over an 8 year span than our boys.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Heard a stat on the Leaf report. No team in NHL history has had a worse playoff record compared to regular season record over an 8 year span than our boys.

It’s a dumb stat because playoff formats have changed a lot . Leafs division has been tough too and teams can have an easier path.

It is what it is…but that stats means very little IMHO

Even Kyle has realized the biggest mistake a lot of us said, in an upcoming book. He now realizes the Tavares signing screwed everything up and had an unstoppable cascading affect on everything else. And then mistake after mistake was made trying to slow the snowball down. A snowball that couldn't be stopped.

Well I hope he also says the covid pandemic and the cap being frozen was also an excuse.

And San Jose offered a lot more money

Reactions: Sypher04

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Players are bigger and faster. They wear armour instead of cloth pads and no helmets

The game has changed. Why do rules change in playoffs?

Why don’t keep the rules the same all year? Is it because players would have sore backs and necks from all the crosschecking? Goals would be down because the game would be played in the middle of a the rink? because D can interfere with dumps ins and they play a step up to challenge?

only sport that does this and you excuse is….its always been like this

Imagine if baseball didn’t allow players from the negro league in.

I mean they could easily say….”well it’s the way the game has always been played” Or MLB shortens the fields …I wonder why they did that?
While I hear what you are saying, you keep saying it and its not going to change, sooooo......other teams don't seem to have a problem with the way the playoffs are played. Comparing baseball and the intergration of black players into the game is not the same discussion, not even close to the same point you are trying to make. Weird take imo.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Playoff hockey = hockey. What they play in the regular season is watered down hockey because nobody could sustain playing at a playoff level for 82 games.

Reactions: LiseL and myleafs

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
While I hear what you are saying, you keep saying it and its not going to change, sooooo......other teams don't seem to have a problem with the way the playoffs are played. Comparing baseball and the intergration of black players into the game is not the same discussion, not even close to the same point you are trying to make. Weird take imo.

The excuse is ….”it’s always been like that”

So I used an example that could have easily said back then.

Just like baseball moving the walls in . Babe Ruth and the likes had to hit in much bigger fields.

It’s no difference than the NHL making the rink bigger. Both help the stars .

And it’s a sad excuse that other teams don’t have issues ….so it must be ok then?

Why change the rules? if teams can play with playoff rules then why not have the same rules in regular season?

Will the excuse be they can’t play all with those rules all year? Why not then? Intensity increased in playoffs because they are playing for Lord Stanley.

No other sport does this and all I keep on hearing is …. “it’s always been like that”

Imagine if we live our lives with that excuse.

Funny part is….ever since I joined here I asked this question and not once have I had a response say …

“The rules don’t change”

We all know it does…we have witnessed it for decades and at my age and trying to remember back when the leafs won the cup I don’t remember the drastic change from the rules from regular season and playoffs so for me it “hasnt been always like that “

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Playoff hockey = hockey. What they play in the regular season is watered down hockey because nobody could sustain playing at a playoff level for 82 games.
Who said they are playing at a playoff level during the regular season?

The level changes because players want to win the cup not because the rules change. Thats. just an excuse for the goons to get away with more infractions.

Does the NBA playoffs change level of play? Is it more intense?
Sure is….and their rules are the same

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Obviously, there are issues with the top players.
Compare regular season and playoffs between two team's top players last 5 years.
Leafs have not drafted players who excel in the post season.

View attachment 894414

View attachment 894412

View attachment 894410
View attachment 894411

Hyman's PPG over that timeframe is lower because he spent time with the Leafs and sucked, it is 0.82 over that timeframe.

In the playoffs, Matthews is 15th, Nylander is 23rd, Marner is 32nd.

Over that timeframe, some players who did worse than all our players were:
Barkov, Guentzal, Robertson, Hyman, Malkin, Stamkos, Schiefele, Pettersson, Kopitar, Verhaeghe, Connor, Panarin, Stone, Hintz, Bergeron, Bennett, Marchessault, Lindholm, Kaprizov, Giroux, Rienhart, etc...

There are a lot.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The excuse is ….”it’s always been like that”

So I used an example that could have easily said back then.

Just like baseball moving the walls in . Babe Ruth and the likes had to hit in much bigger fields.

It’s no difference than the NHL making the rink bigger. Both help the stars .

And it’s a sad excuse that other teams don’t have issues ….so it must be ok then?

Why change the rules? if teams can play with playoff rules then why not have the same rules in regular season?

Will the excuse be they can’t play all with those rules all year? Why not then? Intensity increased in playoffs because they are playing for Lord Stanley.

No other sport does this and all I keep on hearing is …. “it’s always been like that”

Imagine if we live our lives with that excuse.

Funny part is….ever since I joined here I asked this question and not once have I had a response say …

“The rules don’t change”

We all know it does…we have witnessed it for decades and at my age and trying to remember back when the leafs won the cup I don’t remember the drastic change from the rules from regular season and playoffs so for me it “hasnt been always like that “
Complaining about it isn't going to change anything so I don't get the going around and around in circles wishing it were different. Players and teams don't complain about it so i don't get the obsession you have with it. I mean I get it as you think our soft core will have more success, but for me I love the way the playoffs are and always have. Bringing up babe Ruth or Black players has nothing to do with what we are talking about no matter how much you try to tell me it does. Your comparing racism with how the playoffs are reffed in the nhl. Not the same conversation. Millions marched and fought for equal rights....I don't hear anyone from any team or player complaining about how the playoffs are conducted except for you. See the difference? It doesn't mean I don't understand what you are saying...I do, I just disagree with your assessment.

Who said they are playing at a playoff level during the regular season?

The level changes because players want to win the cup not because the rules change. Thats. just an excuse for the goons to get away with more infractions.

Does the NBA playoffs change level of play? Is it more intense?
Sure is
….and their rules are the same
Agree to disagree

Reactions: Da Mash

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
001_THN_7113_LR_800x_3557ec3c-6641-4a0a-ac24-1220786c0bae_580x.jpg

.....then win a single playoff round over the next 6 seasons primarily due to Dubas' brutal tenure here.

It's no surprise people are jaded at this point, the damage he did is near irreversible at this point.

Yeah, this joke never gets old.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
They need to read the Marner thread(s). We'll be 1st in a matter of minutes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
001_THN_7113_LR_800x_3557ec3c-6641-4a0a-ac24-1220786c0bae_580x.jpg

.....then win a single playoff round over the next 6 seasons primarily due to Dubas' brutal tenure here.

It's no surprise people are jaded at this point, the damage he did is near irreversible at this point.

The damage Dubas and Shanahan did is irreversible. There is no coming back from it anymore. The only thing they have left is luck and exceptional trades.

I doubt BT will pull exceptional trades or have the level of luck required. When AM moves on for lack of success there will be some other we can and we will shill.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Complaining about it isn't going to change anything so I don't get the going around and around in circles wishing it were different. Players and teams don't complain about it so i don't get the obsession you have with it. I mean I get it as you think our soft core will have more success, but for me I love the way the playoffs are and always have. Bringing up babe Ruth or Black players has nothing to do with what we are talking about no matter how much you try to tell me it does. Your comparing racism with how the playoffs are reffed in the nhl. Not the same conversation. Millions marched and fought for equal rights....I don't hear anyone from any team or player complaining about how the playoffs are conducted except for you. See the difference? It doesn't mean I don't understand what you are saying...I do, I just disagree with your assessment.

Agree to disagree

Complaining ? I was asking because it makes no sense as no other sport does this.

That’s all…it’s a legit question and the only answer I get is

“it’s the way it is”

We have no idea how the playoffs would look if the rules were consistent throughout the season and playoffs.

Also the rinks will never get bigger not because it will ruin the game …in fact IMHO it would be great to see a 7 game series in a bigger ice.

The reason is money and the seats lost.

It’s not hard to enforce rules the same all year long

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad