Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
You know who has not a single bad player? Florida.

Edmonton definitely beats them if not for the fact that Edmonton is running a defense pair that they can't afford to put on the ice.

This story plays out every year and people won't accept it because "well the Rangers tried their best and hockey is hard." It's not hard. You put good players on your roster and you win. It's a two step process. These f***ing morons have every resource in the world to analyze everyone from McDavid to guys you've never heard of.

Florida was able to turn bad/below average players into positives because of overall buy-in/team dynamic and having high end players ahead of them on the depth chart.

Not a single person here, you included, would have thought signing Dimitry Kulikov, Ekman Larsson, or Mikkola would have improved Rangers D corps or made any difference in the team's path to a cup for example, since we keep harping on the defense.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Not a single person here, you included, would have thought signing Dimitry Kulikov, Ekman Larsson, or Mikkola would have improved Rangers D corps or made any difference in the team's path to a cup for example, since we keep harping on the defense.

Imma call cap on this.

OEL is ridiculously underrated. He's old now and had some injuries, but people apparently ignore that he was the Yotes anchor, international gem. Just a good defenseman. You know, the thing we apparently know nothing about.

Kulikov imo always was a solid two-way type D. He was drafted by Florida and had a promising start.
That is to say, tools were always there.

Even Mikkola, I liked him during his NYR stint. Soft as charmin, but he held his own.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Florida was able to turn bad/below average players into positives because of overall buy-in/team dynamic and having high end players ahead of them on the depth chart.

They're all players who can take an NHL shift. I'm not talking about "bad players" as a binary with good players. 75% of the league is in between those two things.

Lindgren isn't a passenger. He's a detriment that makes everyone worse when he's on the ice.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
They're all players who can take an NHL shift. I'm not talking about "bad players" as a binary with good players. 75% of the league is in between those two things.

Lindgren isn't a passenger. He's a detriment that makes everyone worse when he's on the ice.
He doesn't make everyone worse...the opponents do great when he's on the ice!

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He doesn't make everyone worse...the opponents do great when he's on the ice!
I feel like this whole thing is being framed as "well not everyone can be great." Everyone can, and should, be a capable player.

Ryan Lindgren in 2023-24 shouldn't be starting on an NHL team. Simple as.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I feel like this whole thing is being framed as "well not everyone can be great." Everyone can, and should, be a capable player.

Ryan Lindgren in 2023-24 shouldn't be starting on an NHL team. Simple as.
10% xGF away from Fox is still an all-time stat lmao

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Lindgren isnt elite but he isn't even close to the biggest issue on this team. In the playoffs there were 2 other d men that were grotesquely worst playing soft matchups, yet people want to play word gymnastics shitting on Lindgren.
Come on man. He was/is awful. He's absolutely like top 2 biggest issues on this team. And its not even close.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Come on man. He was/is awful. He's absolutely like top 2 biggest issues on this team. And its not even close.

Well he’s a ufa so if the plan is rent a LD and bunp Lindgren to 3rd pair that’s a good playoff roster

This team was 1st over with Lindgren getting top minutes

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm on board with bumping Lindgren to the 3rd pair because that means less time for him to drag people down but I also think people are drastically underselling how bad he will be in that role unless he is playing with someone who can really carry him in getting the puck up ice.

He also needs to PK less (him and Trouba.) The other duo is better at it.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
It feels disingenuous when people say "well if you get rid of Lindgren who exactly replaces him?"

Who here had us trading for Reilly Smith in particular?

That's a meaningless topic. Replace him. Period. There's 600 players in the league.
jones-umass-WEB-775-12.4.20-DC.jpg
It's time.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Just seems like a year of place holders……
Trouba likely gone at end of season
This Lindgren contract seems to indicate the same….
If NYR has a down/awful year full of injuries, maybe both get moved at the TDL……
Thing is, you are likely wasting another season of panarin( only 2yrs left) playing his best.
Shesty at the lowest contract he’s ever going to have.
A year of Tro ( not end of the world)
A year of Laf ( cheap deal)
Kakko remains locked on 3rd line with tons of ????

I get that he’s hamstrung by being unable to move Trouba.
It just sucks that we only added smith ( another 1 yr place holder) and carrick

And moved the Goodrow contract…..
This FO/Drury better have a strong blueprint for next offseason…….
Money is shifting, and guys need raises.
I expect a huge add or 2 when Panarin/Trouba money is gone….
I in no way expect this team to be as good as last season.
I doubt Panarin/Tro put up career years.
Laf should do better.
Zibby is a coin flip if he runs hot or cold
Kreider will give you around 30-35 g. 55-70pts as usual.
Health will be a main factor….. but with Trouba and Lindgren knowing they are here for short term, I don’t know what to expect tbh.

The only silver lining is getting development/looks from Berard/othmann/Edstrom/Rempe on the big club at diff points of the year

And guys like Perrault/Sykora/chmelar/laba/fortescue/mancinni another year of development

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
It feels disingenuous when people say "well if you get rid of Lindgren who exactly replaces him?"

That's a meaningless topic. Replace him. Period. There's 600 players in the league.
I wouldn't be surprised if we gave his minutes to Scanlin this year that he wouldn't outplay him compared to last year. Lindgren is a replacement level player. He's a number 6 and maybe even a number 7 at this point.

I get he's heart and soul, but to me it's incredibly telling if someone values him as a Ranger as to their knowledge of the sport.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Don't like the cap hit, but I think the term is fine.

What I don't understand is why we haven't also picked up a reclamation project D on the cheap. Someone like Kylington or Addison. They're sitting out there for nothing other than (I'm assuming) a cheap one or two year deal. There's going to be opportunity.
Yeah, of course there were options. Some we know of, some we don't. But have to believe that Drury is "biding time". 1 year, right? Hmmmm, sounds similar to KK. I think Drury is prepping for TDL deals and possibly a blockbuster. Possibly the both of them gone with one fell swoop. You heard it here first, lol.
Anyway, on the other side of the coin, that half season gives huge opportunity for newbies to either make the team or be ready to step in at deadline "if deemed ready", if they part with Lindy.

I still cannot fathom the hate for this man, but you guys do you. Tell me that Lindy wouldn't have "fit right in" had Boston not traded him to us as part of Nash trade. Let's face it, we won that deal big time. What MORE do you want?
His time is probably coming soon in NY, (cap scrunch) if we had any semblance of a good d corps, he would be on the 3rd pairing, I suppose. But NOT for 4.5 mil. Even I know that.

Reactions: majordomo

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

This summer there were no answers because the Rangers are really thin at D organizationally and had a cap crunch. Next summer there will be changes.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There were answers. They just chose to ignore them.
What answers? Who would you have targeted and at what cost? They literally tried to trade Trouba and Kakko. The first made it difficult and the second were lowball $.25 on the dollar.

By the time they sorted it out, all the UFAs were scooped up, some to ridiculous contracts. Some of the budget D maybe didn't want to come here. We don't know if Drury offered Kylington anything or offered Klingberg a deal.

They also have no real D prospects who are close other than the hope Mancini continues to improve with a full summer of training and man strength. Scanlin is a fringe prospect. Fortescue 2-3 years away, Emery 3-4 years away.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
What answers? Who would you have targeted and at what cost? They literally tried to trade Trouba and Kakko. The first made it difficult and the second were lowball $.25 on the dollar.

By the time they sorted it out, all the UFAs were scooped up, some to ridiculous contracts. Some of the budget D maybe didn't want to come here. We don't know if Drury offered Kylington anything or offered Klingberg a deal.

They also have no real D prospects who are close other than the hope Mancini continues to improve with a full summer of training and man strength. Scanlin is a fringe prospect. Fortescue 2-3 years away, Emery 3-4 years away.
not to single you out but this idea that GMs should be spared criticism because they can't get creative is outrageous. it's literally their job.

Reactions: tiggles

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
not to single you out but this idea that GMs should be spared criticism because they can't get creative is outrageous. it's literally their job.
It’s not as straightforward as you assess. When one is in established narrow tunnel of an industry it’s almost impossible to operate outside of these established boundaries no matter how much one wants to.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
It’s not as straightforward as you assess. When one is in established narrow tunnel of an industry it’s almost impossible to operate outside of these established boundaries no matter how much one wants to.
literally every other month we see GMs do each other favors getting out of bad situations

and, to address lindgren, his replacement is not relevant because he is a massive net negative right now. we made the exact same excuses for G/Staal and then they proceeded to drag us out of contention as soon as the damn ink dried on their war crime extensions. not playing is better than this "devil you know" stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00