LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024, 12th, MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In 4 years all the teams after Montreal are going to look like clowns for passing on this kid, especially Philly who had him fall into their laps at 12 and decided to trade the pick to Minny. I still feel he will end up one of the top-5 players in the draft, if not top-3, when we look back in 5 years or so.
You could be right, but if PHI decided they didn't want a moderately sized, offensive LHD, i get it. I really like Luchanko, and him being measured at 5'11", and close to 190 at the Combine further added to his rise in the rankings. Smart, fast, two way player with good playmaking ability.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scary to think SJS could have had Celebrini and Buium in the same draft. Arguably the best 2 players in the draft.

I'm not a fan of Dickinson as much as other posters seem to be lets see
Dickinson is a different type of player, though he's no slouch with the puck. It's hard not to get seduced by great size, skating, and athleticism(he scored really well at the Combine, even though he was exhausted from a longer, more grueling season than most).

I'm happy to get Buium, but would have been very happy with Dickinson, too. Dickinson is less risky, IMO.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
2 reasons I think Buium dropped in the draft...

He has the same agent as Cutter Gauthier, and as he's in the NCAA, some teams may have feared he'd force a trade at some point.

Really solid player, does everything well. More of a finished product than the more raw guys with unusual talents. High floor, he'll be a solid NHLer, but low ceiling, nothing jumps off the chart like skating, shot, size, strength. A long time solid 3-4. Looked good on a great team with great teammates like Dickinson also did.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Dickinson is a different type of player, though he's no slouch with the puck. It's hard not to get seduced by great size, skating, and athleticism(he scored really well at the Combine, even though he was exhausted from a longer, more grueling season than most).

I'm happy to get Buium, but would have been very happy with Dickinson, too. Dickinson is less risky, IMO.
I think if Dickonson is on the board, Flyers pick him at 12. SJ sniped him from the Flyers, IMO. Lunhanko was their backup.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

He has the same agent as Cutter Gauthier, and as he's in the NCAA, some teams may have feared he'd force a trade at some point.

Really solid player, does everything well. More of a finished product than the more raw guys with unusual talents. High floor, he'll be a solid NHLer, but low ceiling, nothing jumps off the chart like skating, shot, size, strength. A long time solid 3-4. Looked good on a great team with great teammates like Dickinson also did.
I hope you're right as a Flyers fan. Was really lamenting that selection

However, Luchanko was extremely impressive in the dev camp - showcasing his positives, and also where to go. The fact that he's the youngest player in the draft screams long term upside and why he wasn't scouted much either, because on that team, it was crap, his production didn't pop so it warrants dismissal from scouts.

Even Flyers scouts admit his discovery was an accident; as they noted him early in the season when London (they were there to watch Barkey/Bonk's progress) and they noticed Luchanko in that game, and then proceeded to heavily scout him throughout the year - hoping he didn't improve his production all that much to not get noticed. They were hoping he'd stay quite and draft him with their 2nd first, so I guess their hope was Dickinson + Luchanko with their 2 firsts; they were never in on Buium.

I think once Dickonson was gone, they went to plan B, drafted Luchanko, and punted their 2nd 1st. Which is a plan - that Flyers fans hate to admit the management had - whether you agree with its merit or not is a different discussion.

Either way, all the best to Buium - I hope he does well (but not too well.) :)

Reactions: TheKingPin

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Couldn't agree less. He's not a boom/bust, but he has a very high upside, though there are some doubts about his defense in his own zone, though not as many as Parekh. His ability so see and process the game is very high, as is his offensive ability. His production was better than Levshunov's, and at near historic levels for a college level, draft eligible, Dman. And the last sentence got it somewhat backwards. He looked great, and elevated a very good college team into a great one. I don't see how anyone can characterize the season he had last year as merely, "good".

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Low ceiling for Buium? lol...

Dude just had the greatest freshmen season by a D man in the past 30+ years, and 2nd best of all time.

His greatest trait is his brain and processing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Yep, plus combined with Canadian teams scared to take a non-Canadian for fear they won't want to play in CA long term.

I hope you're right as a Flyers fan. Was really lamenting that selection

However, Luchanko was extremely impressive in the dev camp - showcasing his positives, and also where to go. The fact that he's the youngest player in the draft screams long term upside and why he wasn't scouted much either, because on that team, it was crap, his production didn't pop so it warrants dismissal from scouts.

Even Flyers scouts admit his discovery was an accident; as they noted him early in the season when London (they were there to watch Barkey/Bonk's progress) and they noticed Luchanko in that game, and then proceeded to heavily scout him throughout the year - hoping he didn't improve his production all that much to not get noticed. They were hoping he'd stay quite and draft him with their 2nd first, so I guess their hope was Dickinson + Luchanko with their 2 firsts; they were never in on Buium.

I think once Dickonson was gone, they went to plan B, drafted Luchanko, and punted their 2nd 1st. Which is a plan - that Flyers fans hate to admit the management had - whether you agree with its merit or not is a different discussion.

Either way, all the best to Buium - I hope he does well (but not too well.) :)
Where did you read that about the flyers

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yep, plus combined with Canadian teams scared to take a non-Canadian for fear they won't want to play in CA long term.

Where did you read that about the flyers
If I recall correctly, it was in either in Briere or Flahr's post draft comments (or maybe at Dev camp). I'll try and dig up a link.

Correction: it was Armstrong, a link that references it is here: Flyers sign first-round pick Jett Luchanko, who has a 'mature game for a young player'

Armstrong mentioned earlier in the week that he noticed Luchanko in a game last season against London, which he attended to watch Flyers prospects Oliver Bonk and Denver Barkey. Luchanko’s skating was what stood out right away, but Luchanko could be a little more assertive in Armstrong’s view, too.

And I think Briere is the one who mentioned they tried to sneak him in w/ their 2nd pick post draft. So I deduce they were hoping to get one of the 'big' dmen and Lunchanko, and when all the big ones were gone, they took their guy and punted the other pick.

That's my theory of course, as they would never reveal their plan, but IMO that's what happened. I just don't think they were enamored with Buium (and whether that decision is correct or not merits discussion - but I doubt he was ever on their board). And as an org, you have to sorta trust your scouts on it - otherwise, what's the point?

For all the hate Flahr got for reaching on Guathier, he was right - CG did warrant a top 5 pick at the time, even though most drafts had him in the early teens. So, your position of trust on the Flyers' management will determine whether you think they made the right choice here or not.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Buium was 2nd on his team in scoring; Dickinson was 5th. Buium also had a higher P/G in the NCAA against men (all but 1 of whom were older than him) then Dickinson did in the CHL. He absolutely has a high ceiling.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I firmly believe that Buium fell because of his size. As stupid as it sounds, 6’0” is genuinely undersized for a defenseman these days.

Reactions: credulous

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I firmly believe that Buium fell because of his size. As stupid as it sounds, 6’0” is genuinely undersized for a defenseman these days.
Size, handedness, and being American/already playing 1 NCAA year (i really believe this is why Calgary went with Parekh over him)

Reactions: FlyguyOX

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

I am now biased but I don’t really agree with the high floor low ceiling whatsoever

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I'm not sure I agree with that. Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Adam Fox, and Josh Morrissey are all examples of defensemen that are 6' or shorter.

I think it comes down to more what a team thinks they need organizationally, in addition to the NCAA thing.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm not sure I agree with that. Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Adam Fox, and Josh Morrissey are all examples of defensemen that are 6' or shorter.

I think it comes down to more what a team thinks they need organizationally.
Yes, you did name four defensemen who are 6’0”. They are undersized relative to most defensemen in the NHL.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yes, you did name four defensemen who are 6’0”. They are undersized relative to most defensemen in the NHL.

Sure, if you are comparing all NHL defensemen, including the stay-at-home variety. But I think you will concede that many of the top scoring defensemen are not all that big.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
+Spurgeon, Dunn, Montour, Letang, Weegar, Faulk, Forsling, Gostisbehere, Hronek, Faber, Durzi, Krug, Pionk, York etc.

There are plenty of 6’0” and under defenders in the NHL, in all sort of different roles.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sure, if you are comparing all NHL defensemen, including the stay-at-home variety. But I think you will concede that many of the top scoring defensemen are not all that big.
Indeed, many top scoring defensemen are undersized, yes.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. Buium is undersized by NHL defensemen standards. So if a team does not believe that Buium has the talent to be Makar, Hughes, Fox, or Morrissey, then they probably won’t have any time for him at all because if you aren’t one of those guys and you’re 6’0” then teams don’t want you. That’s why he fell. I don’t think that’s the right way to assess Buium, I’m just making a statement about why he fell that I personally believe to be true.

+Spurgeon, Dunn, Montour, Letang, Weegar, Faulk, Forsling, Gostisbehere, Hronek, Faber, Durzi, Krug, Pionk, York etc.

There are plenty of 6’0” and under defenders in the NHL, in all sort of different roles.
Come on, half those guys are bottom pairing journeymen or past their primes. The trend right now in the NHL is 6’2”+ defensemen. I don’t think it’s a good trend, but it’s objectively the truth.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Parekh looked solid at the dev camp. Clearly has more potential than any current Flames prospect

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Indeed, many top scoring defensemen are undersized, yes.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. Buium is undersized by NHL defensemen standards. So if a team does not believe that Buium has the talent to be Makar, Hughes, Fox, or Morrissey, then they probably won’t have any time for him at all because if you aren’t one of those guys and you’re 6’0” then teams don’t want you. That’s why he fell. I don’t think that’s the right way to assess Buium, I’m just making a statement about why he fell that I personally believe to be true.

Come on, half those guys are bottom pairing journeymen or past their primes. The trend right now in the NHL is 6’2”+ defensemen. I don’t think it’s a good trend, but it’s objectively the truth.
Lol, half of those players have received Norris votes in the last 3 seasons?

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Parekh looked solid at the dev camp. Clearly has more potential than any current Flames prospect
It was at this moment that I realize Parekh and Buium will always be compared. Makes sense given their similar styles, but I’m just not looking forward to the d measuring that’s going to happen

Reactions: BagHead

Bond

May 10, 2012
It was at this moment that I realize Parekh and Buium will always be compared. Makes sense given their similar styles, but I’m just not looking forward to the d measuring that’s going to happen
Yup, Dickinson isn't going to get the comparisons because he is so different but I had Catton>Buium>Parekh as picks going into the draft. Hopefully they both turn out to be top pairing dman. I'd be fine if the Wild went deep.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Yup, Dickinson isn't going to get the comparisons because he is so different but I had Catton>Buium>Parekh as picks going into the draft. Hopefully they both turn out to be top pairing dman. I'd be fine if the Wild went deep.
Sharks fans will always be annoyed with the Dickinson pick because Buium will put up lofty offensive numbers, and early in his career too, but they shouldn’t be. He’s a stud.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Lol, half of those players have received Norris votes in the last 3 seasons?
Name them.

Maybe but the 3 best dmen in the league are 6’0” foot and shorter
Cool, that does not run contrary to my point. If a team does not see #1D potential in Zeev Buium, then they will not draft him high because NHL teams value size in non-elite defensemen.

I personally do believe in Buium. He was ranked #3 on my 2024 board. I am merely explaining why I think he fell based on current NHL trends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad