LD Mikhail Gulyayev - Avangard Omsk, KHL (2023, 31st, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kase

May 1, 2016
He actually plays in all situations for his team: on PP, kills PP and has a lot of ES time. And they let SKA-1946 with Demidov, Buchelnikov and a lot of VHL guys score just 2 goals in 2 games.
But he is small, so he must be an offensive defense man.

When I watched him in VHL, I was more impressed with his defensive game and transition ability. Such a smart player. Offensively though, I was left a bit underwhelmed, but VHL is a pretty tough low scoring league. Need to check more of his MHL games to get a better read on his offensive ability.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
For me the most intriguing player in terms of “where is he going to get picked in the draft”. He’s not big but plays a modern game and his U18 production from a defenseman in the MHL is so far ahead of any prospect in that league ever. In a draft that has plenty of solid but potentially not many high, high end blueline talents. Contract with Omsk runs through 2025 I believe?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
For me the most intriguing player in terms of “where is he going to get picked in the draft”. He’s not big but plays a modern game and his U18 production from a defenseman in the MHL is so far ahead of any prospect in that league ever. In a draft that has plenty of solid but potentially not many high, high end blueline talents. Contract with Omsk runs through 2025 I believe?

Yeah, signed for 2 more years.

Reactions: barriers

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
So is this guy 5'10" or 5'11"? I saw on Buttons list as 5'11", but everywhere else he is 5'10". It is actually a pretty big difference for defenders as dumb as it sounds.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No idea. If he is close to 6 feet, teams need to reassess their rankings. Kid can really fly
I doubt an inch (which could be less than an inch and just a result of which direction you round) is gonna make a big difference. It's hockey, not basketball.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You root for the kid but the big question is, will he ever be able to be strong enough? He’s very lanky and his measurables came in small. But as for skill? He was likely the most skilled player left. So they went for it.

There’s a lot of people who never thought Sandis Ozolinsh was going to play in the NHL for the same reason. Nor Letang. Ozolinsh a very comparable player btw.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Entered the draft with this guy as the defenseman I liked most this year. Finished the season #3 on my list, after Reinbacher and Simashev through no fault of his but sheer progression/more exposure by the other two.

I like Gulyayev's skating, his ++ skill with the puck on his stick, his ability to manipulate defenders with fakes, his pugnacity, his arsenal of shots is pretty damned good, his release is more than fine, he takes some risks offensively but generally executes well and often on his gambles/cross-ice passes, and his ability to transition the puck both as a rusher and passer are very good.

So yeah, Gulyayev's potential upside is very high. If all goes well for him, he could be a Lubomir Visnovsky type of offensive defenseman.

But there is definite bust factor there too as Gulyayev's decision-making in the defensive zone can be a bit slow, he struggles to separate more physical players from the puck, he could stand to improve his angling and steering of players along the boards to more reliably gain/conserve possession, his pokechecks/hand-eye coordination are okay but not at the level required from smaller players for them to be very successful defensively, his gap control and anticipation could stand to be improved, and more.

Overall, I think Colorado did very well in the late first-round with both Ritchie and Gulyayev.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You root for the kid but the big question is, will he ever be able to be strong enough? He’s very lanky and his measurables came in small. But as for skill? He was likely the most skilled player left. So they went for it.

There’s a lot of people who never thought Sandis Ozolinsh was going to play in the NHL for the same reason. Nor Letang. Ozolinsh a very comparable player btw.
Not saying you’re wrong, but Ozolinsh was 6’5”, Gulyayev is 5’10”. I see him more as Zdilicky personally, with the worst case of him busting to a Marc-Andre Bergeron Type of player.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not saying you’re wrong, but Ozolinsh was 6’5”, Gulyayev is 5’10”. I see him more as Zdilicky personally, with the worst case of him busting to a Marc-Andre Bergeron Type of player.

This is stretching my memory but Ozolinsh wasn't super tall.

But you're right, Gulyayev is closer in size to Girard / MAB types. I think faster than they ever were though, he has rockets on his skates. Like as fast as Makar can go.

Reactions: Astyanax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad