LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL) - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
it's pretty crazy to see how quick and slow some of his plays are, he slows down his movement to open up the play/possibilities then picks it up instantly to catch opponents off guard, hockey Neo?

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Incredible talent and IQ, but below average skating. Still think he has a shot at the Calder this year

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Incredible talent and IQ, but below average skating. Still think he has a shot at the Calder this year
ya top speed isn't really close to where it "should" be (for similar players at his size) but that's his game

bit similar to Subban, great edgework but average top speed, his acceleration is where the issue comes from

his edgework is beyond elite tho, when you combine it with his hands it kinda feels like you're watching Kovalev again even tho they're not exactly the same (Kovalev was much much slower and his cut style was different)

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't really understand why the entire league passed on this player.

south-park-so-small.gif

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I thought we were beyond that. There have been multiple stars in the league that have been small in stature.

Also, it's not like Hutson's talent was hard to see.
Not a lot of small statured d-men tho. I understand the hesitation.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We will see very soon how he does VS full NHL rosters… I hope he excels and lives up to this hype but I’ve seen many high scoring young players not hit what they were hoped to do…especially when they are smaller dmen

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I thought we were beyond that. There have been multiple stars in the league that have been small in stature.
Like the other poster said, not really for defenseman. I don't think he has a comparable, and that's why a lot of teams didn't/still don't know what he will become.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, you can see the logic from both approaches. That said, the goal of the draft is to pick up elite cost-controlled talent you can't get anywhere else (or have to massively overpay in a trade / FA), so if you have the chance at a possible homerun, percentages be damned, feels like you want to take that swing.

Homeboy also hasn't played an NHL season yet either, so.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Really? Nikita Kucherov, Kiril Kaprizov, Adam Fox, Jamie Benn, etc. All were passed by most NHL teams... all talented but...?
But they are the exception. There are far more small statured players that have not been successful in the pros. Defensemen in particular.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
But they are the exception. There are far more small statured players that have not been successful in the pros. Defensemen in particular.
well ya of course they are the exception. Or else there would be no consideration on size when drafting.

Thats the point. We're hoping that Hutson continues to be the exception. If he wasn't an exception he wouldn't have lasted till almost the third round.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
well ya of course they are the exception. Or else there would be no consideration on size when drafting.

Thats the point. We're hoping that Hutson continues to be the exception. If he wasn't an exception he wouldn't have lasted till almost the third round.
Okay. Has nothing to do with what I said or what the person I responded to said.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I'm not trying to hate on Hutson in particular, but man I don't get the people that leap to yell "I TOLD YOU SO" on guys like this.

Like, clearly everyone agrees that he has unique talent and that he does special things against lower levels of competition. And some people question if that will translate to sustained success against NHLers due to some of his limitations.

Say "I told you so" when he's actually made it in the NHL. Not when he does good in the NCAA or a couple of scrimmages.

(Arthur Kaliyev is an example of this. Different limitations, people tried to dunk on NHL scouts for passing on the 50 goal scorer, and well, here we are)

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad