LD Aron Kiviharju - TPS, FIN JRS (2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
At least did well in terms of advanced stats. And certainly among the team's top 4 defensemen.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
I went to this Tappara-TPS game and while I was rooting for home team I also closely watched each Aron's shift.
There was nothing highlights worthy as such but on the other hand nothing alarming either. Just smart and safe defending. Simple but effective plays out of his own zone. Didn't look like "rookie" really..

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
I went to this Tappara-TPS game and while I was rooting for home team I also closely watched each Aron's shift.
There was nothing highlights worthy as such but on the other hand nothing alarming either. Just smart and safe defending. Simple but effective plays out of his own zone. Didn't look like "rookie" really..
That’s what I love about him. Even last year at U20 level he wasn’t doing too much. Just smart and effective decisions in every aspect of the game, yet he still put up an insane amount of points for his age. Let’s see how he progresses this year, could easily be the next great Finn dman, atleast since Heiskanen.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
This is really all one should want out of Aron at this point. To me that's a better sign than flashy plays complimented with errors. You know the skill is there but if the kid can show poise, patience and high iq at this level it will say a lot about the mental part of his game which to me will forecast, as much as anything else, elite NHL potential.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
The more reliably he plays in his own end against men, the more ice time he's likely to receive with which to work on other aspects of his game.

Playing smart and somewhat conservative at first until you have the trust of your teammates and coaches is never a bad thing.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I don't really understand this talk about Kiviharju "playing it safe". Based on what I've seen of him over the years, that's how he usually plays. You should probably remember that he's played against players much older than him pretty much his whole life.

Reactions: Torspo21

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I don't really understand this talk about Kiviharju "playing it safe". Based on what I've seen of him over the years, that's how he usually plays. You should probably remember that he's played against players much older than him pretty much his whole life.
More like playing it smart and not forcing things. Yes, that has been his m.o. but kids have a tendency to do too much and not completely acknowledge the limits of their abilities in face of a major jump in competition and added pressure. One would not have been surprised to see him trying too much and making mistakes as he adapts. Showing a simple and smart game right away at this level, even for him, is eye opening and a very important indicator of his mental game, in my opinion.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Just listened podcast where Ismo Lehkonen talked about Kiviharju, he told a story that Kiviharju asked marker pens for bday present so he can write down tactics and things how he can improve his game. He also said that Aron is not a product of TPS junior path, he's rather found his own path to develop as being extremely smart and passionate about hockey.

Lehkonen has been in contact with pretty much all of these recent Finnish NHL players and he says that Kiviharju has exceptional understanding of the game and he doesn't say these things lightly. And he's correct, we can talk about semantics like skating or whatever, but he's got that exceptional understanding what's happening on the ice all the time. Instinct is something you can't teach, he's never in a hurry even when playing against men.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Just listened podcast where Ismo Lehkonen talked about Kiviharju, he told a story that Kiviharju asked marker pens for bday present so he can write down tactics and things how he can improve his game. He also said that Aron is not a product of TPS junior path, he's rather found his own path to develop as being extremely smart and passionate about hockey.

Lehkonen has been in contact with pretty much all of these recent Finnish NHL players and he says that Kiviharju has exceptional understanding of the game and he doesn't say these things lightly. And he's correct, we can talk about semantics like skating or whatever, but he's got that exceptional understanding what's happening on the ice all the time. Instinct is something you can't teach, he's never in a hurry even when playing against men.
awesome, do you mind sharing the podcast, please?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
The concern for me is whether playing in Liiga too much might stifle his offense a bit?

Why? Because Brad Lambert struggled in the Liiga?

From what I’ve read by different posters over the years, the Liiga is the closest in terms of ‘play’ and ‘physicality’ like the NHL. (Not sure if that’s the correct way of describing it - maybe structure is better?)

ijuka

May 14, 2016

From what I’ve read by different posters over the years, the Liiga is the closest in terms of ‘play’ and ‘physicality’ like the NHL. (Not sure if that’s the correct way of describing it - maybe structure is better?)
Liiga just is pretty physical and grindy. But it's honestly not that much like today's NHL. Maybe NHL of early 00s.

They allow pretty ridiculous stick play which definitely wouldn't fly in NHL right now. There are no fast counter attacks, the play's pretty slow.

Average goals per game is under 5 this season.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland

Play and physicality is pretty far from the north american style of play. It's puck control and minimizing mistakes. Almost every team plays neutral zone trap. Liiga it's on really bad tactical trend right now. SHL and NLA are faster and more physical leagues than Liiga.

Reactions: Jukurit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad