LD Aron Kiviharju - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2024, 122nd, MIN) Part2

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He most certainly isn't ready for the AHL.

People under estimate how difficult that league is.
Couldn't agree more. I've lost count of how many good, 4 year college players come into the AHL and fizzle out. Thinking that an injury prone, small, average skating, 18 yo D is going to come into the AHL and excel, or even survive, is bizarre.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I mean I would still count them as developing Addison and Faber, and considering their blueline has pretty much been Dumba, Brodin, Suter, and Spurgeon for a vast majority of their time I think they did pretty damn well. Time will see if they've hit on anyone recently but I mean...that was an extremely solid top 4 for years.
I'm not sure that first one is a compliment. o_O Even though it is true.

In any case, I agree with you about the old guard, I just don't think the Wild's drafting and development of defensemen has been all that great for about a decade now, and they've taken lots (maybe too many!) of cracks at it. I think it's telling that the two guys you mentioned were both traded for, not drafted by, the Wild.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm not sure that first one is a compliment. o_O Even though it is true.

In any case, I agree with you about the old guard, I just don't think the Wild's drafting and development of defensemen has been all that great for about a decade now, and they've taken lots (maybe too many!) of cracks at it. I think it's telling that the two guys you mentioned were both traded for, not drafted by, the Wild.
I disagree. In the last 10 seasons, minus 2024 and since 2014, we have drafted:

2 D in the first (24th, 26th)
2 D in the 2nd
2 D in the 3rd
15 in the lower rounds

Out of 67 total picks in the last decade, only 6 were in the top 3 rounds. Thats 31% of all our picks were dmen. Or 30% out of all the top 3 round picks. And the ones picked in the 1st were very very tail end of the first. Highest D was picked at #24. Only once in that decade did the Wild selected with their first pick. It always forward or once a goalie.

So for defense to take up 40% of skaters on the ice (2 out of 5), we select them less than 1/3 of the time and rarely prioritze them, and never with any picks above 20.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

2 D in the 2nd
2 D in the 3rd
15 in the lower rounds

Out of 67 total picks in the last decade, only 6 were in the top 3 rounds. Thats 31% of our picks were dmen. Or 30% out of all the top 3 round picks. And the ones picked in the 1st were very very tail end of the first. Highest D was picked at #24. Only once in that decade did the Wild selected with their first pick. It always forward or once a goalie.

So for defense to take up 40% of skaters on the ice (2 out of 5), we select them less than 1/3 of the time and rarely prioritze them, and never with any picks above 20.
Yeah, ok. I think you're right that it hasn't been too many, I was just thinking of the logjam of mediocrity in the AHL at the moment when I said that.

I think they've selected plenty, not too many, but what I will say is that not enough of them have been in the early rounds. Since I'm talking about development and drafting, I still think it's fair to say the Wild haven't been good at drafting them. If you don't take defensemen, it doesn't matter how good you are at developing them, anything times zero is zero.

It's a little too early for certainty, but it appears the few the Wild have selected in the first two rounds have been selected poorly, which compounds the issue.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Has there ever been any prospect that has dropped and then became a top 5 prospect/player? Off the top of my head, Rossi was seen as a top 5 guy, but dropped. He's been pretty good. Peyton Krebs is meh. Martin Frk never developed. Maybe Shane Wright? Went from top pick to 4th, but does that really count?

First one that comes to mind is Lambert in Winnipeg. I'm sure there are more.

Another Finn, Aatu Raty, was thought to be a possible first overall the year prior to his draft - ended up going in the second round.

Two others that fell because of off-ice concerns - Montreal defenseman Logan Maillioux and in this year's draft Vegas' Trevor Connelly - look like steals.

Last edited:

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Has there ever been any prospect that has dropped and then became a top 5 prospect/player? Off the top of my head, Rossi was seen as a top 5 guy, but dropped. He's been pretty good. Peyton Krebs is meh. Martin Frk never developed. Maybe Shane Wright? Went from top pick to 4th, but does that really count?

It kind of reminds me of Toni Rajala in 2009, who definitely did not become a top player. But he did end up being a much better hockey player than the three coke machines we drafted ahead of him that year.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I'm not the one saying/suggesting they're always right.
I never said, or suggested im right all the time.

Do I like to shout my victories? Absolutely. Do I have a lot of them? Absolutely. I know if I don’t shout them, no one will. People like yourself will shout my failures, yet not a peep when I’m right. But that’s okay, that’s the way your generation is.

I also own up to when the things I’ve stated in the past is wrong, but you wouldn’t have know that since you would rather say “gotcha”, even though you didn’t. I understand I’m cocky, and arrogant. But that doesn’t make my opinion any less valid.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

2 D in the 2nd
2 D in the 3rd
15 in the lower rounds

Out of 67 total picks in the last decade, only 6 were in the top 3 rounds. Thats 31% of all our picks were dmen. Or 30% out of all the top 3 round picks. And the ones picked in the 1st were very very tail end of the first. Highest D was picked at #24. Only once in that decade did the Wild selected with their first pick. It always forward or once a goalie.

It hasn't been too many but their track record isn't that great in even developing decent AHL Dmen from those lesser touted one where once in a while most teams get a big pleasant surprise..

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
First one that comes to mind is Lambert in Winnipeg. I'm sure there are more.

Another Finn, Aatu Raty, was thought to be a possible first overall the year prior to his draft - ended up going in the second round.
2 years before the draft he was in the mix, mostly due to a strong Hlinka showing , one year before the draft his stock had slipped considerably.

I know as I remember being quite high on him and there wasn't a clear frontrunner 2 years out then guys started to separate from the pack and Raty just didn't develop.
Two others that fell because of off-ice concerns - Montreal defenseman Logan Maillioux and in this year's draft Vegas' Trevor Connelly - look like steals.
Maillioux only looks like a steal if you stat count, defensiely he is still a hug mess.

he has a good physical spackage and a very good RHS but IMO he really lacks in hockey IQ and that will hinder him greatly in the NHL if he even makes it for any substantial length of time.

Of course, no one else is going to do it.
Well if you need the ego boost I'll try to help out then.

You ever heard of the saying “They shout your failures, but whisper your successes?”
Maybe it's just me but I'm here for discussions not validation of my opinions.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
2 years before the draft he was in the mix, mostly due to a strong Hlinka showing , one year before the draft his stock had slipped considerably.

I know as I remember being quite high on him and there wasn't a clear frontrunner 2 years out then guys started to separate from the pack and Raty just didn't develop.

Maillioux only looks like a steal if you stat count, defensiely he is still a hug mess.

he has a good physical spackage and a very good RHS but IMO he really lacks in hockey IQ and that will hinder him greatly in the NHL if he even makes it for any substantial length of time.

Well if you need the ego boost I'll try to help out then.

Maybe it's just me but I'm here for discussions not validation of my opinions.
Sometimes, we all need ego boost’s.

Second criticism is fair, I’ll refrain from derailing the thread even further. Kiviharju can still turn out to be a good player, but it’s safe to assume he’s up there now with some of the more over hyped pre draft prospects in recent memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad