LD Andong "Misha" Song - Madison Capitols, USHL (2015, 173rd, NYI)

JA

You must mean Rudi Ying, a kid from Connecticut with Chinese ancestry.

Better prospect than Song at this point but maybe a college career not much more at this point.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=229667
I don't think he would create a buzz for the Chinese market, though. Vancouver's Zach Yuen was drafted a few years ago in the fourth round. It received far less attention than Song Andong has received.

Hong Kong film star Daniel Wu sums up the discriminatory view of Western Chinese people by those who grew up in the East.

http://www.easternkicks.com/features/daniel-wu-interview
Hi Daniel,

1) As someone who grew up in the US, did you face any discrimination in Hong Kong before your success?
2) What do you think are the biggest challenges facing Hong Kong media right now?
3) Question from my mom: Do you enjoy living in the US more or living in Hong Kong?

– burntfirex

A bit. People called me whiteboy and were surprised I knew how to use chopsticks.
Figuring out where they stand compared to the rest of the world.
I like both, both have good points and both have crappy points
In Vancouver, for instance, there are major cultural differences between Canadian-born/Western-raised Chinese people, immigrants from Hong Kong, and immigrants from Mainland China. I'm not sure that a Canadian-born Chinese kid in the NHL would resonate with Eastern-thinking Chinese people, especially half a world away.

The only way that people from China will care is if a China-raised kid ends up in the NHL. The barrier needs to be broken by a player from China.

In the NBA, it was Yao Ming who made basketball popular. After that, Chinese audiences start to take basketball more seriously and started to admire other athletes. Yao made it easier for an American-born Chinese player like Jeremy Lin to gain attention there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think he create a buzz for the Chinese market, though. Vancouver's Zach Yuen was drafted a few years ago in the fourth round.

Hong Kong film star Daniel Wu sums up the discriminatory view of Western Chinese people by those who grew up in the East.

In Vancouver, there are major cultural differences between Canadian-born/Western-raised Chinese people, immigrants from Hong Kong, and immigrants from Mainland China. I'm not sure that a Canadian-born Chinese kid in the NHL would resonate with Eastern-thinking Chinese people.

You are probably right and China is a very long ways from even developing decent top junior level players at this point.

Maybe a perfect storm of a player of Chinese descent playing for the Canucks...but then again basketball is more popular among Vancouver's new Chinese population and the divide form the first wave to the 2nd is there are the first generational was more working class when this generation is far more affluent (perception).

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Dennis yan round 3 last year, cliff pu this year, you're probably talking about cliff pu. The phenomenon described with students coming over to study at 18-25 and picking up hockey and getting drafted at 28? No. Significantly fewer students come to the US for high school, still too late to pick up hockey. Clear mix up of asian American and asian. Not many, as they're generally descended from academics but some asian americans have gotten drafted and other things like that. Andong was the first chinese national drafted, a large difference. It's not really about discrimination, it's like how the effect of Yao Ming on chinese basketball was much much larger than that of say Jeremy Lin, who would've represented the US if he was good.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Dennis yan round 3 last year, cliff pu this year, you're probably talking about cliff pu. The phenomenon described with students coming over to study at 18-25 and picking up hockey and getting drafted at 28? No. Significantly fewer students come to the US for high school, still too late to pick up hockey. Clear mix up of asian American and asian. Not many, as they're generally descended from academics but some asian americans have gotten drafted and other things like that. Andong was the first chinese national drafted, a large difference. It's not really about discrimination, it's like how the effect of Yao Ming on chinese basketball was much much larger than that of say Jeremy Lin, who would've represented the US if he was good.

Dennis Yan is Russian if I'm not mistaken. He's as asian as Kovalchuk.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
I don't think he would create a buzz for the Chinese market, though. Vancouver's Zach Yuen was drafted a few years ago in the fourth round. It received far less attention than Song Andong has received.

In Vancouver, for instance, there are major cultural differences between Canadian-born/Western-raised Chinese people, immigrants from Hong Kong, and immigrants from Mainland China. I'm not sure that a Canadian-born Chinese kid in the NHL would resonate with Eastern-thinking Chinese people, especially half a world away.

The only way that people from China will care is if a China-raised kid ends up in the NHL. The barrier needs to be broken by a player from China.

In the NBA, it was Yao Ming who made basketball popular. After that, Chinese audiences start to take basketball more seriously and started to admire other athletes. Yao made it easier for an American-born Chinese player like Jeremy Lin to gain attention there.

To make this point short, Mainland China wouldn't care at all about a player like Zach Yuen and Hongkongers or American-Canadian Chinese wouldn't care much about a Mainland Chinese player like Song.

JA

To make this point short, Mainland China wouldn't care at all about a player like Zach Yuen and Hongkongers or American-Canadian Chinese wouldn't care much about a Mainland Chinese player like Song.
Exactly.

They don't respect each other. There's a dynamic of discrimination between Chinese people of differing national identities. They hold different cultural and social values and are unafraid to put each other down for thinking differently.

This probably borders on territory for HF Politics, but it is relevant to the topic of which players Chinese nationals will care for.

Two years ago, the U.S. ambassador to China (and former Governor of Washington), third-generation Chinese-American Gary Locke, was called a "banana" by one of China's state news services. That's a pretty standard example of the tensions between these groups. They might be of the same ethnic background, but if their social and cultural values are different, they are viewed as inferior by the others. This has become increasingly common in Vancouver, where Mainland immigrants, Hong Kong immigrants, and Chinese-born Canadians all live in the same geographical space.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/rotten-banana-chinese-news-service-uses-racist-slur-in-shameless-editorial-on-departing-u-s-ambassador
BEIJING — A major Chinese government news service used a racist slur to describe the departing U.S. ambassador in a mean-spirited editorial Friday that drew widespread public condemnation in China.

The column — which called Gary Locke a “rotten banana,” a guide dog for the blind, and a plague — reflected Chinese nationalists’ acute loathing of the first Chinese-American to have been Washington’s top envoy to Beijing.

Mr. Locke’s ethnic background interested the Chinese government and people. He won public applause for carrying his own bag and flying economy class, but drew criticism from Beijing as his demeanour was an unwelcome contrast to Chinese officials’ privileges and entitlements.

The editorial “Farewell, Gary Locke” referred to the ambassador’s identity as a third-generation Chinese-American, calling him a “banana,” a racial term for Asians who identify with Western values.

“But when a banana sits out for long, its yellow peels will always rot, not only revealing its white core but also turning into the stomach-churning colour of black,” it read.

http://audreymagazine.com/students-fight-back-against-banana-slur-with-mybananastory/
To some Asian Americans, the word banana represents more than just a piece of fruit. Instead, it is a slur that means “yellow on the outside, white on the inside.” I encountered the term in my high school and early college days, usually by international students who would laugh when I would identify myself as Chinese or Indonesian. “No, you’re just an American,” they would say. “You’re a banana.” As it turns out, plenty of Asian Americans were called a “banana” back in their youth, and were heavily influenced because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DudeAbides2*

Yes. That would be him. Good player, but you are probably correct!

Will need to adjust to playing at a higher level.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Yan was born in Portland is is a Russia/USA listing here.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183259

JA

Yan was born in Portland is is a Russia/USA listing here.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183259
He's probably more Chinese than Josh Ho-Sang, but he's definitely more Russian than Chinese.

Yan.jpg

Dennis+Yan+2015+NHL+Draft+Rounds+2+7+9cUDCLYtn-Ox.jpg

DudeAbides2*

What I have seen is that the Asians seem to be naturally fluid skaters, but have yet to develop many of the other aspects of the game. I do maintain that in a few generations they will be developing some excellent players.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Given that players like Paigin and Huska were picked after this guy, the joke is on the Islanders. They literally wasted a pick because he has the same heritage as the owner. If I was an Islanders fan, I'd be fuming.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Given that players like Paigin and Huska were picked after this guy, the joke is on the Islanders. They literally wasted a pick because he has the same heritage as the owner. If I was an Islanders fan, I'd be fuming.

We aren't happy with it, but not much fumes you as an Islanders fan these days. We're a galvinzed bunch

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Two guys that might have made the back end of our top twenty, with a high likelihood of never making the NHL team because they're already blocked.

The Islanders have done well in late rounds and have added a lot of picks in higher rounds over the years. I'm not going to complain about taking a novelty pick in one of the last two rounds when the team already has a stacked system.

The Islanders are forced to cast away very good prospects (Spurgeon, Russo) because they have too many. How's the Rangers system looking?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two guys that might have made the back end of our top twenty, with a high likelihood of never making the NHL team because they're already blocked.

The Islanders have done well in late rounds and have added a lot of picks in higher rounds over the years. I'm not going to complain about taking a novelty pick in one of the last two rounds when the team already has a stacked system.

The Islanders are forced to cast away very good prospects (Spurgeon, Russo) because they have too many. How's the Rangers system looking?

There was no reason to get so defensive.

You guys flat-out just passed on drafting a player. Picks in the NHL are valuable, even if its the 6th round, you never know who becomes what. There have been plenty of 6th and 7th rounders to have good careers. If I was an Isles fan, I'd be mad at that specific pick.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
People are way too dramatic about "wasting" this pick.

Picks are partially currency in the NHL. Nobody turns a head at a late pick bundled with a bad contract, so what is so bad about "wasting" a late pick in order to get free marketing?

Statistically, the positive marketing for the Islanders in China is probably more beneficial to the team than the impact that your average 6th round pick would make.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
There was no reason to get so defensive.

You guys flat-out just passed on drafting a player. Picks in the NHL are valuable, even if its the 6th round, you never know who becomes what. There have been plenty of 6th and 7th rounders to have good careers. If I was an Isles fan, I'd be mad at that specific pick.

They've had five first round draft picks in the last 3 years on top of many hits in the later rounds. They're in a spot where they're losing and/or in danger of losing older draft picks due to lack of spots. They flat out gave away Spurgeon and Russo, and next year might lose Scott Mayfield.

When you draft well and stockpile high picks, you can punt a pick in the 6th or 7th round once in awhile. They did it because they're trying to expand their brand to the Asian market. If the Islanders had a farm system rated in the 20-30 range it would be a different story.

Find me one analyst that said the Islanders lost in that draft. There were a handful that had the Islanders as big time winners. Their 3rd and 4th rounders from that year are doing tremendous, and there's still hope that Pilon (5th rounder) decides to come back to hockey.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Besides the fact that the Islanders have a ridiculous amount of goaltenders already, including at the very least two/three very highly rated ones in Sorokin, Soderstrom and McAdam. There is little to no room for a Huska in the system who would be behind at least all three of the G's listed.

whlscowt

People are way too dramatic about "wasting" this pick.

Picks are partially currency in the NHL. Nobody turns a head at a late pick bundled with a bad contract, so what is so bad about "wasting" a late pick in order to get free marketing?

Statistically, the positive marketing for the Islanders in China is probably more beneficial to the team than the impact that your average 6th round pick would make.

It's a great business move. And a poor hockey one, that's going to open up more opportunities down the road to create great hockey moves.

I'm honestly surprised that with the growth of hockey in Asian countries (last I checked it was the fastest growing hockey market) that more teams aren't looking to get their foot in the door -- from a business and developmental standpoint it's a very smart play. I'd blow a 6th every time if it opened up those kind of doors.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00