LD Étienne Morin - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2023, 48th, CGY)

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Thomas Chabot is a stylistic comparison I've liked.

Really? Not a name I was expecting, but dang, I can get behind that and I hope it's not overly optimistic. A Chabot lite on the second pairing would be very nice.

If Chabot is indeed the comparison, it makes sense to me that the Flames scouts liked him. Rumors are were that we would have drafted Chabot had we not traded the 2015 pick for Hamilton.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
So what are your thoughts on an NHL level comparable? It's just so strange that many who viewed him have a lot of excitement for him, agree he sticks out in a good way, but don't have a style comparable to describe him.

Improved Poirier is just as hard for me to understand even though I have an idea how Poirier plays.
In the NHL? Him and Thomas Chabot are extremely similar. Which is funny because apparently we were taking Chabot if we didn’t trade for Hamilton with the pick.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
In the NHL? Him and Thomas Chabot are extremely similar. Which is funny because apparently we were taking Chabot if we didn’t trade for Hamilton with the pick.

Another vote for Chabot style eh? Neat! I like it.

I was saying in a different thread I think our scouts have a specific type of dman profile or skillset they love in the Chabot/Gio/Brodie vein.

Brodie/Kulak/Kylington are smooth skating skilled guys.
Gio/Valimaki (pre-injury) are all rounder types.
Chabot (rumored the guy we take in 2015)/Morin are more well rounded, but offense first type guys.

We've had success developing these type of dmen, so I look forward to Morin in Flames silks in a few seasons. :) A 2nd line calibre Chabot in Morin isn't bad at all.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Another vote for Chabot style eh? Neat! I like it.

I was saying in a different thread I think our scouts have a specific type of dman profile or skillset they love in the Chabot/Gio/Brodie vein.

Brodie/Kulak/Kylington are smooth skating skilled guys.
Gio/Valimaki (pre-injury) are all rounder types.
Chabot (rumored the guy we take in 2015)/Morin are more well rounded, but offense first type guys.

We've had success developing these type of dmen, so I look forward to Morin in Flames silks in a few seasons. :) A 2nd line calibre Chabot in Morin isn't bad at all.
I live in PEI, so I get to see all the maritime teams at least 10 times a year so that was my first thought even in junior comparisons, and Chabot translated very well to the NHL. That’s why I was ecstatic when they picked Pelletier, I was saying his name a lot before we drafted him. He’s so highly skilled and his engine never stops. Him and Morin are buddies too so even more motivation for them! Chabot also played on a stacked junior team and had worse numbers in his draft year, obviously taking off after that though. I think Morin will follow in similar footsteps watching him. He took huge strides this last season and Moncton is trending up.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He’s got the size, the skating, he’s very strong defensively, he’s excellent offensively. I have no idea why he was projected late first - early second. A decade from now, he’ll be universally seen as the best defenseman in this draft. Flames fans should be ecstatic.
I don’t see this at all. Decent size and excellent offensively, but mediocre skating and struggles defensively. Not saying he can’t put it together because those can be improved, but if he really had package you described he woulda been picked in top 25 this draft.

Reactions: Realgud

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Good pick. Thought this kid would be a first rounder.

Anyone else find early career Phaneuf to be a decent comp?

¿
Of all stylistic comparisons, Phaneuf I'd say doesn't seem close. Phaneuf was a shotgun sniper who like blowing players up with huge hits. He was more similar to Weber in his early career. I'm pretty sure Morin is the opposite of this.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don’t see this at all. Decent size and excellent offensively, but mediocre skating and struggles defensively. Not saying he can’t put it together because those can be improved, but if he really had package you described he woulda been picked in top 25 this draft.
Many thought he would be a first rounder. He does need to improve skating, but it isn't Matthew Wood or Andrew Cristall levels either. His defense is actually good. Great gap control.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Many thought he would be a first rounder. He does need to improve skating, but it isn't Matthew Wood or Andrew Cristall levels either. His defense is actually good. Great gap control.
i agree on skating and think he can improve it. i like his gap control and active stick, but he tends to get lost in his zone coverage and take some weird routes. again, not saying he is hopeless. his offensive instincts are top notch. the defense i think he can get better. i actually like him as a prospect- i had him as 8th best d in the draft and 31st overall- but i just think we need to tap brakes on notion that he is really good in both zones and a strong skater. he isn't reinbacher or willander or ASP. but no reason he can't become really good NHLer.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
i agree on skating and think he can improve it. i like his gap control and active stick, but he tends to get lost in his zone coverage and take some weird routes. again, not saying he is hopeless. his offensive instincts are top notch. the defense i think he can get better. i actually like him as a prospect- i had him as 8th best d in the draft and 31st overall- but i just think we need to tap brakes on notion that he is really good in both zones and a strong skater. he isn't reinbacher or willander or ASP. but no reason he can't become really good NHLer.
I honestly think zone coverage is the easiest defense to teach. Gap control can be taught, but I think is harder to perfect from a development coach imho.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
¿
Of all stylistic comparisons, Phaneuf I'd say doesn't seem close. Phaneuf was a shotgun sniper who like blowing players up with huge hits. He was more similar to Weber in his early career. I'm pretty sure Morin is the opposite of this.
His hitting is what reminds me of Phaneuf. This kid definitely likes to lay open ice hits no?

He looks to have the Kronwall all but mastered.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Lane Hutson last year as a direct comparison he didn’t get picked in the top 25 last year but he has that exact package? Would you say he deserves where he went today? The draft doesn’t go in exact order of skill. Teams reach based on their own list.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
His hitting is what reminds me of Phaneuf. This kid definitely likes to lay open ice hits no?

He looks to have the Kronwall all but mastered.

That's not a Phaneuf styled hit. Phaneuf faces forward and either tackles or shoves the player down. He's approached hits most of his career like a linebacker.

I'm excited to hear Morin doesn't shy from contact. I'm just saying it's not similar to Phaneuf at all and we saw lots of Phaneuf as a Calgary fan.

Kronwall, sure. And those were nice hip checks :) but Kronwall was a little more of the back and butt than a true hip check?

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
In the brief highlight videos that I’ve watched I don’t see any standout skill that led him to be the 9th highest scoring u18 dman in the CHL this century.

Everything just seems like solid skills, not super dangly or many precision passes. Just quiet offense. Not much flash to his game as far as I’ve seen.

Reactions: Figgy44

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Lane Hutson last year as a direct comparison he didn’t get picked in the top 25 last year but he has that exact package? Would you say he deserves where he went today? The draft doesn’t go in exact order of skill. Teams reach based on their own list.
hutson went later bc he was like 5'8". if he was morin's size he would have been lottery pick.

Reactions: Realgud

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Good pick. Thought this kid would be a first rounder.

Anyone else find early career Phaneuf to be a decent comp?
Morin isn’t like Phaneuf. If you are looking for a Phaneuf comparison from this draft it’s Dylan Mackinnon

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Love this pick. I’ve watched him live a ton, he’s insane offensively. Kind of like Poirier.

Agreed
This is a great pick. I’ve watch him live a bunch as well. The difference between him and Poirier is that Poirier was a terrible defender on really bad SJ teams but even worse when the team got better in the Memorial Cup year. Morin is a really smart hockey player and lead Moncton to an impressive playoff win over Baie Comeau. He also was impressive in the series loss to Halifax. Sky is the limit for this kid if developed properly.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Nobody in the Q plays defense anyway.
Poirier took a gigantic step off the puck this year in a pro setting. Stuff like zone coverage and gap control is about the last thing I look for in a dman coming out of junior. That gets taught at the pro level.

The stuff I look for in a junior dman is IQ, vision, athleticism, and skill. From what I've seen this kid has all that in spades, happy the Flames could get him @48

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Nobody in the Q plays defense anyway.
Poirier took a gigantic step off the puck this year in a pro setting. Stuff like zone coverage and gap control is about the last thing I look for in a dman coming out of junior. That gets taught at the pro level.

The stuff I look for in a junior dman is IQ, vision, athleticism, and skill. From what I've seen this kid has all that in spades, happy the Flames could get him @48
Even then his gap control is already strong. Improving zone coverage and sluggish skating isn't difficult with the right attitude and coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad