LD Étienne Morin - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2023, 48th, CGY)

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Hmmm I took a misconduct penalty in the McKeens thread for implying he should be higher on peoples radar. I’m interested where he lands now.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Morin was basically monctons entire offense since he was 16. I don’t think he’s the best dman in the draft but he should be a top 32 pick without a doubt.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Love this pick. I’ve watched him live a ton, he’s insane offensively. Kind of like Poirier.

He’s got the size, the skating, he’s very strong defensively, he’s excellent offensively. I have no idea why he was projected late first - early second. A decade from now, he’ll be universally seen as the best defenseman in this draft. Flames fans should be ecstatic.
Agreed

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So pumped we got him. I was hoping the Flames would get a late first for Toffoli so we could pick him! The Q has become so underrated lately

Love this pick. I’ve watched him live a ton, he’s insane offensively. Kind of like Poirier.

Agreed
Not nearly the same skating but a lot more solid all around. Reminds of Rasmus in his draft year. Fits the Flames draft profile. Oodles of skill and IQ just needs to get faster and stronger.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Can I ask which player is a decent style comparable to him? Many write ups aren't offering a style comparable. The write ups do sorta excitedly mention a decently well rounded and defensively responsible dman with an extra little offensive flair.

That sounds a little bit like a Gio/Ekholm type of dman, but I dunno. I saw Girard mentioned, but I don't know how Girard played in the Q. I also assume Girard had to modify his game to survive in the NHL, so how he currently plays isn't as good of a comparable to Morin?

It seems we must have left a scout watching Moncton after Pelletier left. I like it! :)

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Can I ask which player is a decent style comparable to him? Many write ups aren't offering a style comparable. The write ups do sorta excitedly mention a decently well rounded and defensively responsible dman with an extra little offensive flair.

That sounds a little bit like a Gio/Ekholm type of dman, but I dunno. I saw Girard mentioned, but I don't know how Girard played in the Q. I also assume Girard had to modify his game to survive in the NHL, so how he currently plays isn't as good of a comparable to Morin?

It seems we must have left a scout watching Moncton after Pelletier left. I like it! :)

I find Vince Dunn an interesting comparable.

Reactions: Figgy44

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

He played very similar to how Girard did in the Q, but better defensively and Girard was on a stacked team so his numbers may have been slightly inflated.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
MacKenzie Weegar is a decent comp. Probably a little more skill with Morin. Similar where he's not the biggest guy and his skating needs real work. I see similar upside in Morin. There's a floor where he's an AHL player and that's why he was a day 2 pick, but like the value at 48.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Was hoping CBJ would take this guy. High octane offensive defenseman who also plays well in his own zone? What’s not to love?

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
He played very similar to how Girard did in the Q, but better defensively and Girard was on a stacked team so his numbers may have been slightly inflated.

So what are your thoughts on an NHL level comparable? It's just so strange that many who viewed him have a lot of excitement for him, agree he sticks out in a good way, but don't have a style comparable to describe him.

Improved Poirier is just as hard for me to understand even though I have an idea how Poirier plays.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
So what are your thoughts on an NHL level comparable? It's just so strange that many who viewed him have a lot of excitement for him, agree he sticks out in a good way, but don't have a style comparable to describe him.

Improved Poirier is just as hard for me to understand even though I have an idea how Poirier plays.
Thomas Chabot is a stylistic comparison I've liked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad