LD Étienne Morin - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2023, 48th, CGY)

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Through 5 playoff games he has 10 points and 4 more points than his closest teammate as Moncton is up 3-2 against Baie Comeau. Has anyone been watching? Has his play been as dominant as his stat line?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He has been a kid I’ve been becoming more fond of as the year has progressed.

He isn’t a one trick pony, he is actually a quite good two-way defender. Strong gaps, with a strong and active stick. Also strong in front of the net when battling for position.

Skating is probably the most impressive attribute about his game. He has excellent lateral agility and is able to change directions on a dime. He uses this to his advantage in the offensive zone often. He‘s quite deceptive from the blueline because of it.
As you would expect from a kid that put up as much offence as he did this year, he has an excellent first pass and is great through transition. Vision in the offensive zone is among the best in the QMJHL among blue liners.

Honestly he is probably the best player from the QMJHL this season, and deserves to be a first rounder. Reminds me a bit of Sam Girard in his draft year.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Finishes the first round of playoffs with 3 assists for a total of 13 points in 7 games. He's been driving the bus in terms of offensive output for his team in the postseason as a draft eligible, participating in more than 50% of his teams goals.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA

This French website briefly describes Morin's play in the playoffs. "Besides points, Morin has been a true general from the blue line. He's in such control of the game that he sometimes gives the impression that he's the only player on the ice."

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What a ripper.

He isn’t a one trick pony, he is actually a quite good two-way defender. Strong gaps, with a strong and active stick. Also strong in front of the net when battling for position.

Skating is probably the most impressive attribute about his game. He has excellent lateral agility and is able to change directions on a dime. He uses this to his advantage in the offensive zone often. He‘s quite deceptive from the blueline because of it.
As you would expect from a kid that put up as much offence as he did this year, he has an excellent first pass and is great through transition. Vision in the offensive zone is among the best in the QMJHL among blue liners.

Honestly he is probably the best player from the QMJHL this season, and deserves to be a first rounder. Reminds me a bit of Sam Girard in his draft year.
He's better than Girard was, IMO. Much better shot and he's just a tad bigger.

While he's not bad defensively, it is clearly a weakness of his and his reads are off a lot, but Im sure that's gonna get better with time and coaching. Even so, he's gonna be a player for sure.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

I think his skating is his biggest weakness. His first step in particular is pretty bad, has a bit of an awkward stride and has pretty heavy feet. That's my only hesitation with Morin, but I'm still a pretty big fan. Reminds me a lot of John Carlson. Lot to like - missle of a shot, hard crisp first pass, and he's physical too. There are definite NHL tools here. He's been a 1st rounder for me since January - currently 20 on my board.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think his skating is his biggest weakness. His first step in particular is pretty bad, has a bit of an awkward stride and has pretty heavy feet. That's my only hesitation with Morin, but I'm still a pretty big fan. Reminds me a lot of John Carlson. Lot to like - missle of a shot, hard crisp first pass, and he's physical too. There are definite NHL tools here. He's been a 1st rounder for me since January - currently 20 on my board.
I can see where you would think this, reminds you a bit of Lane Hutson from last year, no?
Excellent lateral agility and shiftiness but maybe not the best north-south skater.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I can see where you would think this, reminds you a bit of Lane Hutson from last year, no?
Excellent lateral agility and shiftiness but maybe not the best north-south skater.
I can see what you're getting at, but I'd say Hutson is fair bit more elusive than Morin is. Morin is bigger and has the much better shot, where Hutson is better at creating space and opening seems with his feet.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I can see what you're getting at, but I'd say Hutson is fair bit more elusive than Morin is. Morin is bigger and has the much better shot, where Hutson is better at creating space and opening seems with his feet.
Smaller Evan Bouchard with better lateral agility be a better comp for you?

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County

I have Triston Luneau just ahead of him. Both great players

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hutsons not a good skater, really. Still havent seen him pivot effectivelt and his backwards stride is a joke.

Morin definitely is a better skater, Hutsons super elusive but that comes from his brain and hands more than his feet, IMO.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
>Morrisey was a great skater in his draft year.
>Morin is a poor skater in his draft year.
>They are same player.
Morin doesn’t look like a poor skater at all. The biggest difference for me is that Morrisey showed flashes of being a big open ice hitter. Both can shoot and move the puck very well, same size… and the skating to me looks close.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
This is something I agree with. While I have Reinbacher a few places ahead of him, Morin is my 9th ranked player in the draft this year. My rankings will be out soon!
agreed - I know it’s a “down” year for the Q, but it seems like people are writing off the league entirely this year. Morin is amazing, and came in as my 15th ranked player in the draft. Only behind Reinbacher and Willander for defenders. He has very high upside.

Maybe Marr meant first for North American defencemen?

This would make a lot more sense to me, and makes me want to find a clip for full context. Because he is my #1 N/A D as well.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad