Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I read the story twice to see if I had missed a little blurb about Delorme being fired as well. I have no idea how you fire Crawford but not Delorme. :shakehead Mindboggling. He must have pictures of Aquilini or something.

But hey, at least you don't have Sweeney! :laugh:

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Too awesome... I was casually looking into placing ads publicly calling out the Benning regime when I found this site:

http://www.creativeoutdoor.com/ad-browse-ad-sites

Burnaby is on the list and they have a ton of locations to choose from.
$110 buys you a month of adspace. It's not massive, but it's a statement. The kind of thing you can stand in front of and snap a photo of and retweet.

I may just buy a month-long ad myself. Lord knows the Team1040 would reference it at some point.

For the price of a cup of coffee a day, you too, can stick it to Lindenning! :)

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I read the story twice to see if I had missed a little blurb about Delorme being fired as well. I have no idea how you fire Crawford but not Delorme. :shakehead Mindboggling. He must have pictures of Aquilini or something.

But hey, at least you don't have Sweeney! :laugh:

At least Sweeney won a trade with Martin Jones! :laugh:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
We're a little over a year removed from the 'fire Gillis' chant at Rogers arena.

Does a 'fire Benning' chant put Benning in danger? :laugh:

Or does ownership just think this is a crappy fan base if that happens?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
This is the 5th move I haven't liked since the end of the season-

Stewart signing- No justification for giving him a contract

Which Stewart signing?

Sbisa extension- abhorrent all the way around

I agree with you on this so far, but Sbisa does have potential. His decision making needs a lot of work, but Sbisa does skate fairly well and is willing to play physical. The talent is definitely there.

Lack trade- pick wasn't high enough to justify the deal

The market wasn't there for Lack. Comparable goalies such as Talbot and Niemi also received similar value. If you don't move Lack, then you risk losing him for nothing at season's end. Benning didn't want another goaltending controversy/sideshow to develop as we saw with Luongo/Schneider, and so he made the move.

Kassian- nowhere near enough in return to move the guy 7 years younger

Again - what type of return do you think an underachieving injury prone man-child with a questionable work ethic was going to fetch? Three different coaches had issues with Kassian for his unwillingness to compete and play defensive hockey when being used as a bottom 6 forward. Next season - Kassian was going to be an RFA and I highly doubt that him and Canuck management were going to agree on contractual terms.

If Benning/WD's goal is to foster an environment which is conducive to up-coming prospects, then Kassian absolutely had to go

For me, drafting and development is what it's all about in the next handful of years.

And Benning seems to be doing a great job so far. Virtanen, McCann, and Demko should all be key players at some point. As far as development goes, Utica went to the finals this year and our prospects definitely benefitted from that. Guys like Horvat, Baertschi, etc. will be surrounded by current/former elite players in the Sedins', Miller, and Hamhuis (if he counts), along with character guys (i.e. Prust, Hansen, Dorsett, etc.).

BuzzBuzz

Apr 7, 2011
I agree with you on this so far, but Sbisa does have potential. His decision making needs a lot of work, but Sbisa does skate fairly well and is willing to play physical. The talent is definitely there.

You can train to get faster and stronger. You can't train to get smarter.

The market wasn't there for Lack. Comparable goalies such as Talbot and Niemi also received similar value.

Talbot got a far better return.
Niemi was a UFA

If you don't move Lack, then you risk losing him for nothing at season's end. Benning didn't want another goaltending controversy/sideshow to develop as we saw with Luongo/Schneider, and so he made the move.

Lack was willing to sign a $4M contract long term

Again - what type of return do you think an underachieving injury prone man-child with a questionable work ethic was going to fetch? Three different coaches had issues with Kassian for his unwillingness to compete and play defensive hockey when being used as a bottom 6 forward. Next season - Kassian was going to be an RFA and I highly doubt that him and Canuck management were going to agree on contractual terms.

If you can't get value then don't trade him

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Talent? Yeah! - Toolbox? No!

The guy has played 342 NHL games by now, if he hasnt figured it out by now, he most likely never will.

The market wasn't there for Lack. Comparable goalies such as Talbot and Niemi also received similar value. If you don't move Lack, then you risk losing him for nothing at season's end. Benning didn't want another goaltending controversy/sideshow to develop as we saw with Luongo/Schneider, and so he made the move.

Agree that there was no market but then why deal him now? A 3rd and a 7th are nothing to write home about, if you cant get fair value for him now, take a chance and keep him for the moment and try your luck later. If it doesnt work out you can still deal him for a crap return.

Again, its not the deal itself. If nobody really want him, keep him. You can still sign a guy like Prust via FA and you dont have to give up a 5th for that. Just sign a depth forward via Free Agency and see how training camp turns out, you can still waive Kassian then. To me this screams "deal Prust at deadline for some picks and have caproom to get Lucic". After all its a waste of an asset

If Benning/WD's goal is to foster an environment which is conducive to up-coming prospects, then Kassian absolutely had to go

And Benning seems to be doing a great job so far. Virtanen, McCann, and Demko should all be key players at some point. As far as development goes, Utica went to the finals this year and our prospects definitely benefitted from that. Guys like Horvat, Baertschi, etc. will be surrounded by current/former elite players in the Sedins', Miller, and Hamhuis (if he counts), along with character guys (i.e. Prust, Hansen, Dorsett, etc.).

Not denying that. Its just the "mishandlings" mentioned above that scare me.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Which Stewart signing?

I believe it was some underwhelming 7th round pick. The question, I'm guessing, is why waste a contract spot on him.

Sbisa is getting to the point where we shouldn't be overlooking his results in favor of discussing his potential. Did you know he's been in the league for 7 years now?

Now, defensemen do tend to emerge much later than forwards, so there's always that hope that Sbisa puts it all together one year and blossoms into a top 4 defenseman. The criticism of the contract is why pay him as if he's already done it?

The market wasn't there for Lack.

No, it wasn't. The sadness over Lack has a lot to do with his personality, and lingering resentment over the Miller contract. In terms of asset management, the deal was actually fine. Goalies are worth very little, and it's not difficult to go and get one if you feel you need one.

Again - what type of return do you think an underachieving injury prone man-child with a questionable work ethic was going to fetch?

You are speculating, and you are reaching. Prust is a valuable player, but he's also an aging player who is beginning to break down physically. The team needs to rebuild. Even if you speculate Kassian was a toxic element and the trade is addition via subtraction, why target a 31 year old winger who is going to take time and development away from one of the FLOTILLA of young wingers in the system? Trade him for a low pick, if you MUST be rid of him. Which is to say nothing of how poor the trade looks if Kassian finds himself in Montreal and finally delivers on potential.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
The Canucks want his roster spot open to give Virtanen a chance to earn it. Otherwise the right side looks like Burrows/Vrbata/Hansen/Dorsett/Kassian.

Let him earn it first. If he earns it, you can trade players afterwards. I doubt the returns then would be any worse than what we got now.

RudyRudiger

Mar 24, 2010
Sbisa got completely emasculated in the Flames series. I don't recall him having any push back or physical presence on the ice. I do recall Ferland absolutely steam rolling him on one of his vintage charges and Sbisa playing like a neutered squirrel afterwards.

Could have traded Lack at the deadline after he padded his resume with another solid season. A high 3rd in a strong draft is a fine piece but not worthy of a panic trade.

I kind of agree about the culture thing if Kassian was indeed a knucklehead. That said he, unlike Sbisa, is legitimately talented and Benning seemed to either be oblivious to this or not care. Thus we traded one of the only promising young talents for a 31 year old 4th liner who presumably is only going to get worse. I actually saw some hints that Kassian was trying to mature. He seemed pretty contrite at the end of his season media interview. Almost like he was trying to project a more professionable image.

Which Stewart signing?

If Benning/WD's goal is to foster an environment which is conducive to up-coming prospects, then Kassian absolutely had to go.

member 202355

Just fire the other -enning and we're all happy. Except for the plants.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
So I'm guessing Gilman must have continually ripped into Benning for the circus he is running and Gilman finally had it after the last week. Benning makes the call to fire him. The only person in that management team that was worth something. Oh well, I'm kind of glad Gilman is out of this mess now. He can go manage a proper team without useless people like Benning around. I really did wish it said Gilman QUITS the Canucks, but I'm sure Benning beat him to it.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Sbisa got completely emasculated in the Flames series. I don't recall him having any push back or physical presence on the ice. I do recall Ferland absolutely steam rolling him on one of his vintage charges and Sbisa playing like a neutered squirrel afterwards.

Could have traded Lack at the deadline after he padded his resume with another solid season. A high 3rd in a strong draft is a fine piece but not worthy of a panic trade.

I kind of agree about the culture thing if Kassian was indeed a knucklehead. That said he, unlike Sbisa, is legitimately talented and Benning seemed to either be oblivious to this or not care. Thus we traded one of the only promising young talents for a 31 year old 4th liner who presumably is only going to get worse. I actually saw some hints that Kassian was trying to mature. He seemed pretty contrite at the end of his season media interview. Almost like he was trying to project a more professionable image.

The amount of goals that Sbisa was on the ice for during that Flames' series was too damn high.

3telm5.jpg

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I believe it was some underwhelming 7th round pick. The question, I'm guessing, is why waste a contract spot on him.

Sbisa is getting to the point where we shouldn't be overlooking his results in favor of discussing his potential. Did you know he's been in the league for 7 years now?

Now, defensemen do tend to emerge much later than forwards, so there's always that hope that Sbisa puts it all together one year and blossoms into a top 4 defenseman. The criticism of the contract is why pay him as if he's already done it?

No, it wasn't. The sadness over Lack has a lot to do with his personality, and lingering resentment over the Miller contract. In terms of asset management, the deal was actually fine. Goalies are worth very little, and it's not difficult to go and get one if you feel you need one.

You are speculating, and you are reaching. Prust is a valuable player, but he's also an aging player who is beginning to break down physically. The team needs to rebuild. Even if you speculate Kassian was a toxic element and the trade is addition via subtraction, why target a 31 year old winger who is going to take time and development away from one of the FLOTILLA of young wingers in the system? Trade him for a low pick, if you MUST be rid of him. Which is to say nothing of how poor the trade looks if Kassian finds himself in Montreal and finally delivers on potential.

Stewart started hockey at 12 more room to grow than 99.999% of prospects.

Sbisa was rushed into the league and is rebuilding his game to claim no potential is hilarious.

Lack most overrated goalie of all time 65th is fair and decent.

Kassian trade makes sense as his injury was beyond repair, rw is choked with virtanen and boesser. As well his attitude was getting tiresome. Ur 24 go to bed at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad