Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not sad to see Henning go - pro scouting never seemed good to me. Picked up too many players like Phalsson and Roy at the deadline that provided nothing. Don't know if we are any better now however.

Crawford's record spotty as well

Gillman seemed excellent in handling the cap and will seemingly be missed.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Pure conjecture, but I suspect Gilman has been vocally critical of the decisions being made, given how wonderfully brilliant his cap management was until Benning waltzed and destroyed it all. So that meant he had to go. The idiocy of our management has reached the point of comical. We really are becoming Edmonton; employ only friends and relatives.

Lets fan those flames....

member 202355

Don't worry everyone, just wait until I join the Billionaire Boys Club. I'll buy this team, make myself GM and you'll all have something to cheer about again! #saynotomeatandtaters

:shakehead

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
It's hard to say we've been spoiled when the Canucks have never won a cup.

I actually said COLORADO fans were spoiled, but yes...Canucks fans have been a bit spoiled by success. Team has been extremely competitive for over a decade now. Played meaningful playoff hockey. Had huge regular season finishes. Won some hardware. Had a bitter rivalry with the closest thing to a modern day dynasty. People who jumped in around the point of the West Coast Express will literally have no idea what a rebuild actually feels like. It's cute to say "Let's rebuild" but actually witnessing the transitional period tends to be rather grim.

None of that is to say current management is pulling off a clinical rebuild, just a commentary on how we're going to be shedding fans for a good year or two, whether the rebuild goes well or not.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Not sad to see Henning go - pro scouting never seemed good to me. Picked up too many players like Phalsson and Roy at the deadline that provided nothing. Don't know if we are any better now however.

Crawford's record spotty as well

Gillman seemed excellent in handling the cap and will seemingly be missed.

I was under the impression that after Crawford was brought on, our OHL scouting improved leaps and bounds

And the reason I say leaps and bounds is because our scouting is brutal.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Whats the point of racing to the bottom with incompetent management? So we can be the new Oilers?

Whos going rebuild once we hit rock bottom?

Don't forget that Weisbrod is the new assistant GM.

- he was the one who gambled on high school prospect Mark Jankowski with a 1st rounder (prepared to take him 14th overall)

"I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.â€
“Weis thinks this guy, if he’s not the most talented guy coming out of this draft, he’s going to be one of them,â€
"That felt like a gift," Weisbrod said of landing Sieloff in the middle of the second round. "I was particularly tickled with that one. This is a tough, tough, tough kid, and the kind of time-and-space-eliminating defenceman that we’re starving for. And demeanour-wise, he’s one of us, not to make it seem cultish. We were particularly pleased with that pick."

Weisbrod came in after the Johnny Gaudreau pick.

When Brian Burke came into the Flames org he said he had no idea what Weisbrod did there. :laugh:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Agreed, and we're going to go through the process of shedding some bandwagon fans who (whether they're aware of it or not) were weaned on success and don't know how to handle crap years.

Why is it a "true fan" has to sit through garbage years, or be labeled a bandwagoner? I watch hockey to be entertained, not waste three hours every other night to watch a team I've supported get its teeth kicked in. Choosing not to watch games with any degree of regularity is not renouncing ones' fandom. They're just finding better things to do with their time.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
It was Sekeres and Price opinion. IE they felt that Linden and Benning have shown exasperation this week with the fans opinions of their moves.

Shows you how little they actually know if they couldn't predict fan upheaval at trading 3 fan favorites within 2 days. Talk about surrounding yourself with yes men.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
My exact first thought.

Unfortunately its happening in my real life with with teenage son the past two months.

Something new every day; sex, pot, alcohol, sneaking friends in at night, sneaking out at night.....

My family and team are falling apart all at the same time.

Something new every day.

Sorry to hear man, hope it gets better.

I like that debate better than the nonsense about us not having analytics.

We do have a department for that stuff, the only question is whether they apply it or not. So far, it looks like they don't.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Don't forget that Weisbrod is the new assistant GM.

- he was the one who gambled on high school prospect Mark Jankowski with a 1st rounder (prepared to take him 14th overall)

"I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.â€
“Weis thinks this guy, if he’s not the most talented guy coming out of this draft, he’s going to be one of them,â€
"That felt like a gift," Weisbrod said of landing Sieloff in the middle of the second round. "I was particularly tickled with that one. This is a tough, tough, tough kid, and the kind of time-and-space-eliminating defenceman that we’re starving for. And demeanour-wise, he’s one of us, not to make it seem cultish. We were particularly pleased with that pick."

Weisbrod came in after the Johnny Gaudreau pick.

When Brian Burke came into the Flames org he said he had no idea what Weisbrod did there. :laugh:

When did weisbrod get announced as assistant gm?

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Agreed, and we're going to go through the process of shedding some bandwagon fans who (whether they're aware of it or not) were weaned on success and don't know how to handle crap years.

I've spent a lot of time on other teams forums for uh...schadenfreude reasons. Just reading. You know who were the most rancorous, the most bitter? Not the Oiler fans of recent years, or the Leafs, or the Flames fans during their long playoff drought. Not San Jose after yet another playoff implosion. Or a team like Columbus mired in perpetual futility.

No it was Colorado Avalanche fans after Minnesota eliminated their star stacked team. The bitterness and bile pouring out of that fanbase was off the scale. Everyone in the organization was scum. The players were heartless, the management was inept, you name it. The fans were spoiled. Doing poorly didn't even register for them. It was like they were cheated of their birthrights.

In a couple of years, when we've spent some time getting kicked around the league and drafting high, the boards should be a lot more chill.

The Canucks have had more crap years and heartache than any other franchise in existence. I don't blame anyone for taking it out on this team. The fans deserve something good after everything they have been through. It is sick and cruel torture to have Linden and Benning come in and send this franchise back to the 80's.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Why is it a "true fan" has to sit through garbage years, or be labeled a bandwagoner? I watch hockey to be entertained, not waste three hours every other night to watch a team I've supported get its teeth kicked in. Choosing not to watch games with any degree of regularity is not renouncing ones' fandom. They're just finding better things to do with their time.

Oh shush. I said nothing about "true fans". And I probably won't be paying much attention while they suck. I've got better things to do with my evening than watch 3 hours of tedium with an unhappy ending.

Are you denying the existence of bandwagon fans? People enjoy success. There are plenty of sports fans who are in like Flynn for the winning seasons and then evaporate like mist when things take a downturn. They're not BAD PEOPLE. They just...cease to be fans.

The Canucks have had more crap years and heartache than any other franchise in existence. I don't blame anyone for taking it out on this team. The fans deserve something good after everything they have been through. It is sick and cruel torture to have Linden and Benning come in and send this franchise back to the 80's.

I am aware. I've been watching since the 80's. It is, however, not the TEAM'S fault that I inexplicably choose to cheer for this particular set of laundry. Any heartache I've experienced is entirely on me.

It's entertainment. It would be like getting mad at Universal Studios because a movie made you cry.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Apocalypse. As if yesterday couldn't be worse. I wanted them tk fire the scouting crew because of years of incompetence and they fire these guys. Crawford found Tanev and Gilman is good with the cap gotta go

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It was Sekeres and Price opinion. IE they felt that Linden and Benning have shown exasperation this week with the fans opinions of their moves.

If that is the case, they had better get ready. Complaints on TSN1040 will be the least of their concerns. Frankly, this only proves neither have any business in management. Fans of any sports team are vitriolic when things go poorly. Suck it up Linden. You're about to go from the most beloved Canuck to the most reviled.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Oh shush. I said nothing about "true fans". And I probably won't be paying much attention while they suck. I've got better things to do with my evening than watch 3 hours of tedium with an unhappy ending.

Are you denying the existence of bandwagon fans? People enjoy success. There are plenty of sports fans who are in like Flynn for the winning seasons and then evaporate like mist when things take a downturn. They're not BAD PEOPLE. They just...cease to be fans.

I'm not denying them, but the term and attitudes towards them passed around are profoundly negative. The almost patriotic devotion to a team just annoys me. If that wasn't what you meant, I misread. Apologies.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Terrible firings. Cleaning house of dissenting opinions if I had to guess. Best of luck to these 3 guys. I think they find jobs pretty quickly.

Worst management in the NHL now by far. Anti-analytic, anti-evidence, anti-intelligence. Faith healers are running the team and they just got rid of the only few real doctors we had left. Can't wait to see what these idiots have cooked up for the next calendar year. As long as they don't trade away any more picks it will set the table nicely for the next team.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
If that is the case, they had better get ready. Complaints on TSN1040 will be the least of their concerns. Frankly, this only proves neither have any business in management. Fans of any sports team are vitriolic when things go poorly. Suck it up Linden. You're about to go from the most beloved Canuck to the most reviled.

Linden looked and said things last year that indicated he didn't really like the job. If he thought last year was rough...

At this point I am hoping he can't handle the pressure and steps down just to save his what shred of legacy he has here. Sad to see everything go down like this.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Noone that is in touch with the rest of the league or posts here is a bandwagoner no matter if they stop watching canucks games. This is disgusting I used to watch every game but I stopped last year

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I'm still waiting to be told when weisbrod got announbced as assistant gm...I haven't seen that...

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I read on Twitter someone comparing the Canucks to Game of Thrones. All your favourite characters seem to die off or go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad