Post-Game Talk: Latvia vs Canada | Wed. Feb. 20th, 2014 | 12:00 PM EST

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
One game aside, we havent been able to muster any offense, and arguably the best offensive defenceman in the league and reigning Norris trophy winner sits and watches. 7th D-man my arse- the guy was voted the best in the league last year and he's not one of the best 6 in Canada?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
One game aside, we havent been able to muster any offense, and arguably the best offensive defenceman in the league and reigning Norris trophy winner sits and watches. 7th D-man my arse- the guy was voted the best in the league last year and he's not one of the best 6 in Canada?

Maybe if the Olympics were last year. Our D has just been too good as is tbh

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada

When did PK Subban become a forward? Last time I check our Defense has scored 7 of our 13 goals. Our defenses lack of scoring isn't the problem.

They should've taken Kunitz out and left Duchene in. Quit trying to appease Cindy we need speed. If Duchene had that puck on his stick early in the 1st you know that would be in the back of the net and off the crossbar like Kunitz shot it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

LOL, he won the Norris because 1) the PHWA is a joke 2) he scored a boat load of points, not because he was a good defender... the reality of it is he's barely average 5 on 5, horrible on the PK and dynamic on the PP. Obviously the coaching team prefers a defender that has a more well rounded game. The fact Babcock does not trust PK to play at a higher level than the other defenders speaks volumes about how PK is perceived by people who know the game better than we do.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
When did PK Subban become a forward? Last time I check our Defense has scored 7 of our 13 goals. Our defenses lack of scoring isn't the problem.

They should've taken Kunitz out and left Duchene in. Quit trying to appease Cindy we need speed. If Duchene had that puck on his stick early in the 1st you know that would be in the back of the net and off the crossbar like Kunitz shot it.

I'm going to be pissed if Duchene isn't in against USA. If you're going to put Duchene in the pressbox, well then you better pull out a seat for Kunitz right next to him. Not to say that Duchene is the game breaker that Canada needs to guarantee wins, but he gives them a better chance and the big ice is just so well suited to his style of play. It's a mismanagement of talent to have him sit and for whatever Babcock's reason were to do it, I hope he has a change of heart real quick.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm going to be pissed if Duchene isn't in against USA. If you're going to put Duchene in the pressbox, well then you better pull out a seat for Kunitz right next to him. Not to say that Duchene is the game breaker that Canada needs to guarantee wins, but he gives them a better chance and the big ice is just so well suited to his style of play. It's a mismanagement of talent to have him sit and for whatever Babcock's reason were to do it, I hope he has a change of heart real quick.

Tavares might be out, so Duchene will likely be in.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Looks like Canada only brought two players to Sochi. Weber and Doughty.

Take out all the Canadian forwards and put on the marlies forwards, we would still have the same result. Most disgreaceful performance I have seen.

Crosby, Toews all name no game.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I thought Kunitz actually had his best game of the tournament .. Was being somewhat physical, taking the puck to the net and was creating some chances with Crosby

Canada has been getting too many chances to not score - the bubble will burst eventually .. The question is do they have the work ethic to keep pressing hard

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Take out all the Canadian forwards and put on the marlies forwards, we would still have the same result. Most disgreaceful performance I have seen.

The Marlies forwards could score 3 goals against Latvia...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
LOL, he won the Norris because 1) the PHWA is a joke 2) he scored a boat load of points, not because he was a good defender... the reality of it is he's barely average 5 on 5, horrible on the PK and dynamic on the PP. Obviously the coaching team prefers a defender that has a more well rounded game. The fact Babcock does not trust PK to play at a higher level than the other defenders speaks volumes about how PK is perceived by people who know the game better than we do.

If your going to laugh at the guys comment atleast make sure you, yourself know what you are talking about.

Subban was more than barely average 5 on 5, while he didn't get many points 5 on 5, look at how little 5 on 5 scoring he gave up.

2nd to say Subban is horrible on the pk, just confirms how little you know.

Before Therrien came in and took Subban off the pk unit. In his rookie year he was 2nd on the team in SH/TOI, even tho he had the most PIM on the team, and that pk unit was ranked 7th best in the league. And in the 1st round vs the Bruins that year in the playoffs, Subban played the most minutes shorthanded on a pk unit that went a perfect 20 for 20.

In his 2nd season, Subban was again 2nd most on the team in SH/TOI even tho he had the most PIM, and that pk unit was ranked 2nd best in the league...

yuppp he sucks on the pk unit... :sarcasm:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought Kunitz actually had his best game of the tournament .. Was being somewhat physical, taking the puck to the net and was creating some chances with Crosby

Canada has been getting too many chances to not score - the bubble will burst eventually .. The question is do they have the work ethic to keep pressing hard

Americans scored 5 on 25 shots. Pavelec isn't the steadiest, 4 goals on 12 shots.

Canadians scored 2 on 57 shots.

Latvia is a good team, don't let the shots against sway your opinion. Being outshot is a sound strategy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Americans scored 5 on 25 shots. Pavelec isn't the steadiest, 4 goals on 12 shots.

Canadians scored 2 on 57 shots.

Latvia is a good team, don't let the shots against sway your opinion. Being outshot is a sound strategy.

Don't let corsi know.

Not good for the analytics.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

Toews had an assist, had a goal disallowed because of a terrible call, and had a huge blocked shot with less than a minute left.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013

Not an individual sport. Team sport.

See example: Russia

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
There's really not much to change. Just hope that these guys start clicking and burying their chances, because while you might say they played great, I'd say this simply won't do against a team like USA. They're not going to dominate the shot chart like today. They're not going to get 57 shots or whatever it was, past team USA. And the defense, along with the goal-tending, for the first time in the tournament is going to be tested in a way it hasn't been tested yet with Kessel, Kane, Backes, van Riemsdyk, Pavelski, Fowler, Shattenkirk, etc. on the other side.

I think it will be a close game, but I don't see them beating USA.

Their offense was mediocre against Russia. I watched the game they played today and Pavelec was a joke, and their defence wasn't covering anybody. People were just standing around wide open the whole time. Their puck possession is pretty bad too so it wouldn't surprise me if it was another game of domination. USA With Quick, Kessel, and JVR on USA they could get "Leafed" with great goaltending and opportunistic scoring though.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Pavelec allowed 4 goals on 12 shots, USA is great, but I think Pavelec had a bad game, we have to hop Price plays well.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

weber and doughty.....sooooooooooooooooo jealous. 2 west coast players that we dont get to see nearly enough.

i dont agree about toews though. i think he has been noticeable. the only time i notice crosby is when the announcers are talking about how he isnt doing much.

i know he is the best player in the world and yadda yadda yadda but i actually feel like the team would be better without him.

it would never happen but assuming you didnt take crosby and by extension kunitz and replaced them with giroux and someone like e staal i think the team would have more chemistry. crosby not being able to find chemistry with anyone basically ruins the other lines imo because babcock keeps tinkering to try and find someone to get crosby going.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
4 lines doesn't work.

Brent Sutter ,Tocchet and some one won the tourney that year as we crashed our way back.We have 4 lines and Crosby line sucks. Let us learn from this. Crosby needs the right wingers or else he is just another player.This is team Canada's fault but we will win anyways.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pavelec allowed 4 goals on 12 shots, USA is great, but I think Pavelec had a bad game, we have to hop Price plays well.

I watched the game and Pavelec was letting in soft goals from bad angles beside and behind the net with easy bad angle shots on net.

It should have been a 1-1 game.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

He was voted the best in the league by the media. Are you seriously placing more weight on the likes of Damien Cox and Steve Simmons than team Canada's management? Give me a break.

Also, if Subban plays one of the other RD's would have to sit - Weber, Doughty, or Pietrangelo. Which of those are you going to bench?

You've got to be joking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad