Post-Game Talk: Latvia vs Canada | Wed. Feb. 20th, 2014 | 12:00 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Kristers Gudļevskis is a Latvian ice hockey goaltender. He is currently playing with the Syracuse Crunch of the AHL. Gudlevskis was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 5th round of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

But, your point is still valid...

I heard the announcers say he was playing in the ECHL.

Regardless.

We need our offense to click, like now.

If I was babcock id seriously start banging the forwards head together.

Players only meeting, someone punch crosby.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Someone briefly edited Gudlevskis' Wikipedia bio :laugh:

Ffng28d.png

mikebel111*

I heard the announcers say he was playing in the ECHL.

Regardless.

We need our offense to click, like now.

If I was babcock id seriously start banging the forwards head together.

Players only meeting, someone punch crosby.

A guy on TSN just said that crosby is playing a good tournament despite not scoring
What game has he been watching?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Tim & Sid just said that John Tavares is out for the rest of the tournament with a knee injury. No word on his status beyond the Olympics. Boy, if he misses any NHL games, Isles can't catch a break.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
:laugh: Just catching up on this thread after watching the third period - you guys are priceless!

I was never really worried, as the game wore on Canada kept pressing, cycling and dominating .. Latvia ran out of physical pressure

I actually think this was Canada best offensive showing so far (including the Austrian game) as they had so many quality chances that they just couldn't bury .. But the passing and chemistry was improved in this game, and a good cycle effort .. Just didn't get the bounces or calls (seriously no penalty shot on the guy pulling the puck out of the net practically?)

Bring on the USA - I think it will be closer than people think IMO

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Three things:

First. Crosby also got the winning goal in the shootout victory over Switzerland in 2010, IIRC. And I was at the game, though at the other end behind Brodeur, about 16 rows up. That was a tense one too! But even when he is off, Crosby can and does come through at key moments.

Second, the absence of Stamkos, who is Canada's most natural goal scorer, is more of a loss than we had expected.

Third and most important: I think the main thing is to relax. That was a freaky game in a lot of ways and the forwards are gripping their sticks a little too tightly. Not worrying too much about the goalscoring is the best prescription, IMO.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
:laugh: Just catching up on this thread after watching the third period - you guys are priceless!

I was never really worried, as the game wore on Canada kept pressing, cycling and dominating .. Latvia ran out of physical pressure

I actually think this was Canada best offensive showing so far (including the Austrian game) as they had so many quality chances that they just couldn't bury .. But the passing and chemistry was improved in this game, and a good cycle effort .. Just didn't get the bounces or calls (seriously no penalty shot on the guy pulling the puck out of the net practically?)

Bring on the USA - I think it will be closer than people think IMO

hockey is a game of bounces, in a tie game with under 10 minutes to go it does not matter how dominating a team is anyone could win, you might be the only one who wasnt worrying

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Another thing - seems like Canada's forwards are just snakebit right now but I believe they're on the cusp of breaking out offensively .. Let's hope they explode out of this slump in the semi's

hockey is a game of bounces, in a tie game with under 10 minutes to go it does not matter how dominating a team is anyone could win, you might be the only one who wasnt worrying

I'm a Leafs fan, I'm used to this type of pressure ;)

Now if Team Canada had a 3 goal lead with 10 minutes left .. Yeah I might be nervous :sarcasm:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We'll look just fine if we play like this Friday. Canada is bound to have a few bounces go their way. Hopefully the goals go in this time around.

It'll be a tough one though.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
The only thing that stuck out to me as needing work for Canada is that the passing is not great; lots of passes behind the target or into the target's skates. Because these guys are so skilled they can keep possession but it really hampers the speed Canada could bring to bear with good, tape to tape passes.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't know why Crosby is taking so much heat, he's actually been playing pretty well, especially this game.

It's not showing on the scoreboard, but neither is any other of our forwards at the moment.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't know why Crosby is taking so much heat, he's actually been playing pretty well, especially this game.

It's not showing on the scoreboard, but neither is any other of our forwards at the moment.

Crosby has been fine, but I did feel like he was forcing a few passes today .. He doesn't seem too interested in taking the puck to the net himself though, that's frustrating

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Our forwards are ATROCIOUS.

Complete garbage.

We have WAY to many individual players, we need to play as a ****ing team, and score goals.

Canada played great today, but christ we cant keep blaming this on hot goaltenders.

Rask was one thing, but this latvian goaltender is young and playing in the ECHL. We should have lit him up.

I am very very very worried.

Typical hockey-arrogance of Canadians. ;) We can't admit that the OTHER team played an amazing and effective game. No, instead, the game was GARBAGE and we were ATROCIOUS!!!

We played fine. 57 shots on goal is oustanding(according to the "corsi club" anyway....) and we dominated the play in every area, except maybe in goal. if we keep playing like that, we can hold our heads up.

Besides.....all these other teams are a lot closer to us that we like to admit. This sort of "no contact", flashy, big-ice hockey is NOT the game we play and that levels things out a fair bit.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

I suppose people have a strange expectation for "the best player in hockey" to be able to score goals. He's not the only one not scoring, but as the Captain of this team he's supposed to take the heat for not producing.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It's a hard game to judge because to completely pile on Canada would be a complete discredit to the game that Latvia game. That was a heart and soul kind of performance led by an incredible performance by their goalie. The guy was ready to pass out half way through the game with how much work he did. He stuck through it and still found ways to stop the puck once Canada got the lead. If he could have allowed 5 goals in that game and no one in their right mind would have said that that loss was the goalie.

That said, the Canadian forwards just aren't clicking and getting that puck luck. They've played a really strong possession game and have gotten the chances but they haven't resulted in as many goals. On paper our offense is awesome. It was the biggest strength of our team. On the ice, our backend (including the goaltending) has been the saving grace. It's not easy for a goalie to see such little puck and keep himself in the game. Price made some huge saves late in the game after having spent far too long not even having to move in his crease. Yet again our D bails out the offense with providing some goal support. Doughty and Weber have been amazing in this tournament.

A lot of the teams have played a collapsed system against Canada. I hope that with Canada and the US being so familiar with each other's players, it will open up the game a bit more.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
We played great. Wouldn't change much if at all moving forward

There's really not much to change. Just hope that these guys start clicking and burying their chances, because while you might say they played great, I'd say this simply won't do against a team like USA. They're not going to dominate the shot chart like today. They're not going to get 57 shots or whatever it was, past team USA. And the defense, along with the goal-tending, for the first time in the tournament is going to be tested in a way it hasn't been tested yet with Kessel, Kane, Backes, van Riemsdyk, Pavelski, Fowler, Shattenkirk, etc. on the other side.

I think it will be a close game, but I don't see them beating USA.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
They played really well today. Can't complain about the effort, the puck just didn't go in. Not much luck for them in that game.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Price is going to have to be at the top of his game against the USA. Our forwards have been underwhelming thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad