Latest on the Arizona Coyotes Arena ordeal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockeynugget

Nov 25, 2023
Yes, those stats must be fake news. It does matter because it refutes your point. But beleive what you want I guess.
It doesn’t matter the population of the city or state. Do you think if you stuck in team in Delhi, India where there’s a population of 32 + million, hockey would thrive? Arizona just isn’t a hockey market. It’s great for nfl and lower levels of football, mlb and baseball. Sure they’ve got some die hard fans but if you go to a bar in downtown Scottsdale on a Saturday night, say it’s the cup final….how many TVs do you think will have a Yotes game on? Probably 0. It’s an afterthought for most of the population there, those are facts.

Reactions: HolyCrap

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yes, those stats must be fake news. It does matter because it refutes your point. But beleive what you want I guess.
It is obviously a big city lmao it is a small market team in the context of the nhl. Which is what matters here and it isn’t going to change there anytime soon.

So instead of admitting you were wrong you'd rather just pretend you said something else and expect everyone else to just pretend as well?
I’m not going to admit I’m wrong because I wasn’t. Arizona is a small market NHL city. Maybe if they had competent ownership at some point in the last 2 decades they could have built something but ya know…they didn’t so they are what they are.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It is obviously a big city lmao it is a small market team in the context of the nhl. Which is what matters here and it isn’t going to change there anytime soon.

I’m not going to admit I’m wrong because I wasn’t. Arizona is a small market NHL city. Maybe if they had competent ownership at some point in the last 2 decades they could have built something but ya know…they didn’t so they are what they are.
Arizona such a massive hockey market they got owners wanting to purchase them lining up out the door!

Oh wait... The best they could find was a complete grifter.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Canadian* hockey media. Big difference. You quoted me in the last thread. Do some homework and look at how the Canadian media speaks on this topic. You’ll connect the dots sooner or later.
And what does the bought and paid-for American media have to say about this? Probably nothing because the American media cares about the coyotes just as much as their fans.

Reactions: dukeofjive

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It doesn’t matter the population of the city or state. Do you think if you stuck in team in Delhi, India where there’s a population of 32 + million, hockey would thrive? Arizona just isn’t a hockey market. It’s great for nfl and lower levels of football, mlb and baseball. Sure they’ve got some die hard fans but if you go to a bar in downtown Scottsdale on a Saturday night, say it’s the cup final….how many TVs do you think will have a Yotes game on? Probably 0. It’s an afterthought for most of the population there, those are facts.
If you read the post I responded to, the OP said it’s a small city, full stop. I simply posted stats showing otherwise.

Whether it’s a hockey market or has been handled properly as a market for hockey are entirely different discussions than whether Phx is a small city.

Not much else to be chatted about on this by me.

I just think the NHL could do more. It is a small city, …

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
And what does the bought and paid-for American media have to say about this? Probably nothing because the American media cares about the coyotes just as much as their fans.
It is funny there are Yotes fans crying about Canadian media coverage. If there weren't Canadian media covering them, there wouldn't be any!

It's fine if they would report it from on the actual ground instead of from 80,000 feet.
The ground level of a Meruelo operation? That's far, far worse. Meruelo certainly doesn't want that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm pretty sure the reason other owners aren't on full steam relocate Arizona is simply because they'd rather get that expansion revenue than to lose a potential new suitor without receiving any money.

If the expansion fee is 1.5 billion that's 46M+ per team that's not shared with the players. This has nothing to do with the owners liking Arizona or wanting to keep a team there.

NHL owners perspective:
New expansion team costing 1.5B+ spread among the owners
OR
Arizona relocated - losing a potential expansion spot and receiving no money?

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Interesting....

As of yesterday morning the appraisal wasn't ready.

(And I have reservations about anything Richard Rodier says since he was the person to engineer all of Jim Balsillie's attempts to wedge his way into the league)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

It is funny there are Yotes fans crying about Canadian media coverage. If there weren't Canadian media covering them, there wouldn't be any!

The ground level of a Meruelo operation? That's far, far worse. Meruelo certainly doesn't want that.

Think it's been pointed out a few times in this thread already, but the the American hockey media's been pretty vocal on the never-ending troubles in Arizona.

Hard for anyone to ignore a professional hockey team playing out of a glorified rec center, with no exit strategy in sight.

So it's not just "Canadian media are bullying us :scared:", as some folks in here seem to think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad