Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
It was so effortless that it immediately made me want them to drop the Predator in other historic and geographic settings. It's an idea that seems kinda bonkers when you think about it, but seeing it executed, it's a bit of a "duh, of course."
I legitimately just shared that thought with a friend after seeing it :laugh:. Hell, make it like a 6-episode limited series, episodes around an hour+ or so. All self-contained stories. All unique approaches to the fighting. Sometimes the Predator wins too, so you never know what you're gonna get.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I legitimately just shared that thought with a friend after seeing it :laugh:. Hell, make it like a 6-episode limited series, episodes around an hour+ or so. All self-contained stories. All unique approaches to the fighting. Sometimes the Predator wins too, so you never know what you're gonna get.
The Roanoke colony was destroyed by a Predator. As was Atlantis.

King Arthur lost a duel to the Predator and Excalibur was one of their weapons that he used.

A Predator destroyed the Roman Legions that invaded Teutonberg (whatever) Forest.

This has legs.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

We joke but the problem is that at some point someone will decide to retcon it so that one character in every movie was actually related and Predators are hunting them over space and time because of some beef that dates back to Mesopotamia or some shit.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Pretty mediocre summer for Blockbusters so far eh, doesn't help Marvel didn't deliver and looks like nothing else coming out in August will end up being very memorable. When a cheesy Top Gun remake is the highlight then that's pretty disappointing. No summer World Cup to console either.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
They/Them, worse then I could have ever imagined. I couldn’t tell if this was supposed to be a serious movie or satire

The fact both fans and critics are bashing it on RT gives me hope for humanity

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) - 4/10

One year after the events of the previous film, Jason Voorhees stalks a group of graduating high school students on the SS Lazarus, a ship bound for New York City.

If Part VI was the first Friday that "feels like a real movie", Part VIII feels like a made-for-TV movie. The acting is the worst in a series that wasn't exactly getting Meryl Streep-level performances before, and the special effects are practically non-existent. Many of the kills are off screen, or we see Jason swinging something at the camera, and then see a bloody body. Compared to his awesome look in Part VII, Jason looks like crap. His face without a mask on looks like raw hamburger meat.

Part VIII's lightning is really bizarre. That's a weird complaint maybe, but if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about. I'm vaguely aware that other countries have different lighting techniques than Hollywood, and I know a lot of the movie was filmed in British Columbia, so that could be the explanation. Or it could just be that the film overall is pretty bad, and the lighting is no exception. Either way, it looks "off".

As for the plot, most people hate how much of this movie doesn't actually take place in Manhattan; the characters don't make it there until the final 30 minutes. Personally, I don't mind because I think a ship is an interesting setting for a horror movie.

Unfortunately, the execution of that setting is poor. It's a big ship, with not a ton of people aboard. Done right, Jason should've continued picking off most of the students until the remaining few noticed people are missing and eventually realized they're surrounded by water on a big ship with a killer onboard. Instead, Part VIII drowns us in boring subplots that go nowhere, and once evidence of Jason's crimes are discovered, there are still 10+ people left. There's no claustrophobia or tension.

Also worth noting there's a Crazy Ralph rip-off character who keeps saying the ship is "doomed". Advice to writer-director Rob Hedden: you don't need a red herring when it's not a mystery who the killer is.

Once the film moves to New York, the movie picks up a little bit. It does have two kills that I think are decent; Julius getting his head punched off, and Charles - the asshole principle who is probably the only character with any common sense - getting drown in a barrel. Great utilization of New York by the way; Jason visits all of the major land marks: Times Square, the subway, a random diner, the alleys, and the sewers. Seeing as he can apparently teleport in this movie, he should've caught a Rangers game.

This movie also has some comedy, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly unintentional.
  • The first moment is when one of character, after losing his glasses, shoots a fellow student in the chest with a shotgun thinking it's Jason.
  • Later, as a group of the characters prepare to escape the ship, useless teacher Colleen mentions how she left several students in the ship's restaurant. Sean, the son of the slain ship's captain who is leading the escape in the only lifeboat, replies "there is no more restaurant!" Is he implying Jason killed them? He has no way of knowing that. If he implying the restaurant has already been engulfed by the spreading fire? The fire didn't start there and we literally just saw the characters in the restaurant less than two minutes of screen time ago. Either way, airhead Colleen just goes along with it and they don't go back for those students. Enjoy your fiery, watery, or Jason-y deaths, ya poor bastards.
  • Finally, once in New York City, Rennie - the bland main character, by the way - drives a car directly into wall (in a horribly directed scene featuring slow motion). Rennie and the other characters flee the burning vehicle; Colleen does not, and is killed as the car completely explodes. It is hysterical.
The ending of the movie is the final nail in the coffin: Jason is submerged in toxic sewer waste and reverts back to being a child. Who writes this crap?

Jason Takes Manhattan was the final Friday film produced by Paramount, and the studio went out with a whimper. It's a shame because the first 7 films are all pretty decent, and Part VIII gives us a really crappy ending to the "Friday the 13th" story line.

Financially, most of the films in the series had a budget of $2M-$3M, and took in roughly $20M at the box office ($30M+ for some of the earlier films). Friday VIII had the highest budget of any of the movies (estimated $5M-$5.5M), but only made around $15M. As a result, Paramount decided to stop making Friday movies, and loaned the Jason character - but not the Friday the 13th name - to New Line Cinema, who produced the next few movies in the series.

Not sure if you have book "Crystal Lake Memories" covers a lot of stuff including the back story of development on this and other FT13 films

To be fair to filmmakers and others they were under impression they would have more expansive films and resources and had to make do with what they had and also meddling by studio execs (Especially the fathers look in part 7) and other stuff that contributed to some of the "WTF are you serious" stuff

Frank Mancuso Jr makes no secret he had checked out on actually controlling/overseeing films at that point with his desire to do other things and move on from franchise and Paramount despite $ made by films for studio despised being associated with them and wanted to move on

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Nope (Jordan Peele, 2022)

OJ and Em (Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer) take over their recently deceased father’s ranch when some chilling and strange events start happening from the clouds. Not going to spoil what happens because I went in blind and I was better for it, but I’ll vaguely say that this is a nice genre throwback to Spielberg style sci-fi films. Peele in his three films has a knack at gripping onto a genre and making it feel fresh again (although I was less high on Us than I was with Get Out). An isolated ranch is a great setting for a film and Peele uses it to its full effect. Also, some great sound design in the film with muffled screams, psycho chimps, and warped radio helping build atmosphere and thrills. I do think the film runs like 20mins too long, like most blockbuster films these days, but it hardly detracts from the film, which is overall pretty solid and fun.

Reactions: OzzyFan and kihei

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Compartment No 6 (2021) - 5/10

Typical Eurosad stuff. Tries to rely heavily on what's unsaid rather than what's said but it isn't exactly In The Mood For Love. Actually in terms of how it looks it definitely isn't, a really ugly looking film not helped by the Russian setting and a shitty train. Theme itself isn't bad, really could not care less about either character though.

Basic Instinct (1992) - 6/10

It's a bit too much isn't it? Like really bombastic and I couldn't tell if it was trying to be a parody at times. Sharon Stone is pretty fun to watch though, the suspense is stupid but well done, and it still has some 90s smoothness despite the chaotic back and forth between scenes and the unbelievably bad dialogue. Also I'm not someone who can usually spot the killer in a book or film but it felt a bit obvious here.

Reactions: OzzyFan

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Not sure if you have book "Crystal Lake Memories" covers a lot of stuff including the back story of development on this and other FT13 films

To be fair to filmmakers and others they were under impression they would have more expansive films and resources and had to make do with what they had and also meddling by studio execs (Especially the fathers look in part 7) and other stuff that contributed to some of the "WTF are you serious" stuff

Frank Mancuso Jr makes no secret he had checked out on actually controlling/overseeing films at that point with his desire to do other things and move on from franchise and Paramount despite $ made by films for studio despised being associated with them and wanted to move on

I have seen part of it over the years on Youtube, but I just checked more of it out based on your recommendation. Specifically the Part VIII stuff, but I'll watch more.

The Part 8 it sounds like they went in with the good intentions of taking Jason out of Crystal Lake, but choosing New York was their pitfall because they couldn't afford to film there. Also sounds like the director didn't care too much when things didn't make sense; he mentioned once or twice to just let the fans figure it out (i.e. how did the ship get from Crystal Lake to New York, how to Jason get from the Ship to New York).

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) - 2/10

After his body is destroyed, Jason Voorhees possesses Crystal Lake residents and searches for his only remaining relatives in order resurrect himself.

Let's flashback to Blockbuster Video, late 1990's. Adolescent me is perusing the horror section, eventually coming across the most badass VHS cover imaginable: Jason's hockey mask - now in chrome - engulfed in flames, with a snake slithering out of one of the eyes holes. "Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday. This must be the ultimate horror movie!" I probably thought to myself, being too young and dumb not to realize movie series generally get worse over time, not better.

I was allowed to watch the Halloween series at the time (they were on TV constantly), but my parents thought the Friday the 13th movies were too much, so I had to wait until I reached my teenage years before I was allowed to rent those. The fateful day eventually arrived and 13-year-old me popped Jason Goes to Hell in my VHS player... and what I saw scarred me for life.

Not much can prepare you for how bad this movie is. Within the first 15 minutes, Jason is killed, a coroner eats his heart and goes on a killing spree, and a bounty hunter (who has never appeared in any other movies) is giving late night TV interviews proclaiming only he knows how to kill Jason, but he has a price. A little while after that, a nude middle aged man is forcibly shaven by the possessed coroner, who then spits/transfers a slug down his throat; shaved man is now "Jason". Did I mention the Necronomicon from Evil Dead makes an appearance?

You can't make this stuff up.

Jason Goes to Hell was the first movie produced by New Line Cinema. Original Friday director Sean S. Cunningham had been working with New Line on various horror projects, and championed for the studio to bring in the Jason character in order to set up a crossover movie with Freddy Krueger. As a producer on this film, Cunningham gave the directive to get the Jason hockey mask out of this movie as much as possible, as he never intended for Jason to be the killer of the franchise when making part 1.

The result? A bunch of killers who look like people you'd see at the grocery store. The hero in this movie is a character named Steven; he wears glasses with coke bottles for lenses, and reminds me of the main character of the Super Nintendo game "Lester the Unlikely". What happened to the sexy young 20-somethings this series is known for?

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll cram it in here because it needs to be said: the opening credits and music are horrible, just horrible. You just know you're in for a stinker when you hear that terrible music.

I clearly hate this film, but is there anything good about it?

The first 5-10 minutes are pretty solid and suspenseful; it's possible the filmmakers would've done a good job had they made a traditional "Jason" movie. There is also one great kill in a tent; it's the only scene at Camp Crystal lake. The acting isn't bad for a Friday movie, despite the performers not having anything to work with; Stephen Williams as Creighton Duke is a fan favorite.

Also, the movie is fairly well paced; even though what you're watching is crap, it feels like a real movie and doesn't drag or stall. That sounds like feint praise, but there's one movie in the 'Big 3' horror franchises that literally makes my head watching it, and it's not Jason Goes to Hell.

At the end of the day, the only thing this movie is ultimately memorable for is the final five seconds, in which Freddy Krueger's glove emerges from the ground to pull down Jason's hockey mask. Little did fans know at the time they'd have to wait another 10 years.

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) - 7/10

I took the day off yesterday to catch a matinee showing of this movie.

Thor: Love and Thunder is clearly not as good as Thor: Ragnarok, so I can see why fans were disappointed. Additionally, in the grand scheme of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it's about inconsequential as they come. It is a completely self contained film; think Iron Man 3.

However, I still enjoyed the heck out of it. The comedy landed for me and the action was decent enough; Christian Bale's performance as Gorr was good, though he's a small potatoes villain. Overall I thought it was a fun popcorn movie and I look forward to rewatching it in the future. Maybe it won't hold up over time, but I'm going with a light 7 for now.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) - 2/10

After his body is destroyed, Jason Voorhees possesses Crystal Lake residents and searches for his only remaining relatives in order resurrect himself.

Let's flashback to Blockbuster Video, late 1990's. Adolescent me is perusing the horror section, eventually coming across the most badass VHS cover imaginable: Jason's hockey mask - now in chrome - engulfed in flames, with a snake slithering out of one of the eyes holes. "Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday. This must be the ultimate horror movie!" I probably thought to myself, being too young and dumb not to realize movie series generally get worse over time, not better.

I was allowed to watch the Halloween series at the time (they were on TV constantly), but my parents thought the Friday the 13th movies were too much, so I had to wait until I reached my teenage years before I was allowed to rent those. The fateful day eventually arrived and 13-year-old me popped Jason Goes to Hell in my VHS player... and what I saw scarred me for life.

Not much can prepare you for how bad this movie is. Within the first 15 minutes, Jason is killed, a coroner eats his heart and goes on a killing spree, and a bounty hunter (who has never appeared in any other movies) is giving late night TV interviews proclaiming only he knows how to kill Jason, but he has a price. A little while after that, a nude middle aged man is forcibly shaven by the possessed coroner, who then spits/transfers a slug down his throat; shaved man is now "Jason". Did I mention the Necronomicon from Evil Dead makes an appearance?

You can't make this stuff up.

Jason Goes to Hell was the first movie produced by New Line Cinema. Original Friday director Sean S. Cunningham had been working with New Line on various horror projects, and championed for the studio to bring in the Jason character in order to set up a crossover movie with Freddy Krueger. As a producer on this film, Cunningham gave the directive to get the Jason hockey mask out of this movie as much as possible, as he never intended for Jason to be the killer of the franchise when making part 1.

The result? A bunch of killers who look like people you'd see at the grocery store. The hero in this movie is a character named Steven; he wears glasses with coke bottles for lenses, and reminds me of the main character of the Super Nintendo game "Lester the Unlikely". What happened to the sexy young 20-somethings this series is known for?

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll cram it in here because it needs to be said: the opening credits and music are horrible, just horrible. You just know you're in for a stinker when you hear that terrible music.

I clearly hate this film, but is there anything good about it?

The first 5-10 minutes are pretty solid and suspenseful; it's possible the filmmakers would've done a good job had they made a traditional "Jason" movie. There is also one great kill in a tent; it's the only scene at Camp Crystal lake. The acting isn't bad for a Friday movie, despite the performers not having anything to work with; Stephen Williams as Creighton Duke is a fan favorite.

Also, the movie is fairly well paced; even though what you're watching is crap, it feels like a real movie and doesn't drag or stall. That sounds like feint praise, but there's one movie in the 'Big 3' horror franchises that literally makes my head watching it, and it's not Jason Goes to Hell.

At the end of the day, the only thing this movie is ultimately memorable for is the final five seconds, in which Freddy Krueger's glove emerges from the ground to pull down Jason's hockey mask. Little did fans know at the time they'd have to wait another 10 years.

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) - 7/10

I took the day off yesterday to catch a matinee showing of this movie.

Thor: Love and Thunder is clearly not as good as Thor: Ragnarok, so I can see why fans were disappointed. Additionally, in the grand scheme of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it's about inconsequential as they come. It is a completely self contained film; think Iron Man 3.

However, I still enjoyed the heck out of it. The comedy landed for me and the action was decent enough; Christian Bale's performance as Gorr was good, though he's a small potatoes villain. Overall I thought it was a fun popcorn movie and I look forward to rewatching it in the future. Maybe it won't hold up over time, but I'm going with a light 7 for now.
The intro sequence is pretty cool (in continuity of the previous movies), but the cheap sci-fi rip-off of The Hidden that follows is something I never could understand. And my brain REFUSES that film. I've seen it 3-4 times, I absolutely can't remember any of it past Jason's death. I read your comments like it was brand new stuff, and can't even remember the characters or the kills you refer to. I only remember that "Jason" goes from one body to the other, à la Horace Pinker (but without being cool), and that the whole thing was straight up from The Hidden (which was also pretty cool). 100% caca.

• Haha
Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The intro sequence is pretty cool (in continuity of the previous movies), but the cheap sci-fi rip-off of The Hidden that follows is something I never could understand. And my brain REFUSES that film. I've seen it 3-4 times, I absolutely can't remember any of it past Jason's death. I read your comments like it was brand new stuff, and can't even remember the characters or the kills you refer to. I only remember that "Jason" goes from one body to the other, à la Horace Pinker (but without being cool), and that the whole thing was straight up from The Hidden (which was also pretty cool). 100% caca.

You are very lucky. I should've stopped watching after that part, but apparently I wanted to punish myself. :skull:

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Watched Alien Predator from 2018 its gotto be one of the worst films ever. Not even a good bad flick.
You're wrong on only one thing here, there is no Alien in that movie (well technically yes, but you get what I mean). Absolute shit there too. I rewatched both franchises about a year ago, and the 2018 one is the worst of them all.

Reactions: shadow1

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Man With One Red Shoe (Dragoti, 1985) – I wanted to watch a Pierre Richard film but had to settle for “the next best thing”, this remake. It's really no fun and not funny, kind of terrible. It's by the director who made Mr. Mom, for which I have (or had) some kind of respect for some reason (I don't remember the film) – this made me think I could be completely off. Pierre Richard's comedy, like Peter Sellers, works mostly on performance, and Tom Hanks just can't fill his shoe (yes, that joke was funnier than the whole movie). 2/10

Mr. Destiny
(Orr, 1990) – A Disney+ suggestion following the one red shoe thing. It's a bland moralizer tale for unhappy men. It has a few moments, but otherwise boring. 2.5/10

Shark Side of the Moon
(Campbell & Klein, 2022) – The Russians create super-shark creatures that's actually some extremely poor CGI rip-off of The Flash's King Shark. The creatures get away and kill everybody in their secret base, except some dude who sacrifices himself to get rid of them by shooting them on the moon. That's how far I got with this film, about 10 minutes in. Later on, Americans will have to square against the sharks, on the moon. If someone could please watch it and report, I'd appreciate it, but I just couldn't – and everybody knows I can enjoy smelly crap. This type of films aren't “so bad they're good”, they're consciously bad, which makes them absolutely worthless (it's like 20x worst than the fake garage band sound of Weezer). I obviously can't rate it as I haven't seen it, but on a scale from 1 to 10, this is unwatchable.

Cannibal Apocalypse (aka Cannibal In the Streets, aka Invasion of the Flesh Hunters, Margheriti, 1980) – Now that's the real deal. From the grainy and blurry helicopter stock shots that don't match the movie in the Viet-Nam prologue, to the room tone nightmare that comes later, without forgetting the confounding spatial construction of the mall scene and shootout, this cannibal-virus nonsense is pure and true film incompetence. Add to that a little gore and a scene where (real) rats are set on fire and you've got everything you need to turn this into a cult movie. It surprisingly never reached that status. Even more surprisingly, it's not completely devoid of interest. It's clearly influenced by Cronenberg's Shivers and Rabid, it explores (even if timidly) lust and transgression, kind of goes for a PTSD metaphor, and even dares one of those bleak Cronenberg ending. It ultimately fell in the so-bad-it's-good category for me, because there's just too much ridiculous stuff going on, but it's one of the better ones. 1/10

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Man With One Red Shoe (Dragoti, 1985) – I wanted to watch a Pierre Richard film but had to settle for “the next best thing”, this remake. It's really no fun and not funny, kind of terrible. It's by the director who made Mr. Mom, for which I have (or had) some kind of respect for some reason (I don't remember the film) – this made me think I could be completely off. Pierre Richard's comedy, like Peter Sellers, works mostly on performance, and Tom Hanks just can't fill his shoe (yes, that joke was funnier than the whole movie). 2/10

Mr. Destiny
(Orr, 1990) – A Disney+ suggestion following the one red shoe thing. It's a bland moralizer tale for unhappy men. It has a few moments, but otherwise boring. 2.5/10

Shark Side of the Moon
(Campbell & Klein, 2022) – The Russians create super-shark creatures that's actually some extremely poor CGI rip-off of The Flash's King Shark. The creatures get away and kill everybody in their secret base, except some dude who sacrifices himself to get rid of them by shooting them on the moon. That's how far I got with this film, about 10 minutes in. Later on, Americans will have to square against the sharks, on the moon. If someone could please watch it and report, I'd appreciate it, but I just couldn't – and everybody knows I can enjoy smelly crap. This type of films aren't “so bad they're good”, they're consciously bad, which makes them absolutely worthless (it's like 20x worst than the fake garage band sound of Weezer). I obviously can't rate it as I haven't seen it, but on a scale from 1 to 10, this is unwatchable.

Cannibal Apocalypse (aka Cannibal In the Streets, aka Invasion of the Flesh Hunters, Margheriti, 1980) – Now that's the real deal. From the grainy and blurry helicopter stock shots that don't match the movie in the Viet-Nam prologue, to the room tone nightmare that comes later, without forgetting the confounding spatial construction of the mall scene and shootout, this cannibal-virus nonsense is pure and true film incompetence. Add to that a little gore and a scene where (real) rats are set on fire and you've got everything you need to turn this into a cult movie. It surprisingly never reached that status. Even more surprisingly, it's not completely devoid of interest. It's clearly influenced by Cronenberg's Shivers and Rabid, it explores (even if timidly) lust and transgression, kind of goes for a PTSD metaphor, and even dares one of those bleak Cronenberg ending. It ultimately fell in the so-bad-it's-good category for me, because there's just too much ridiculous stuff going on, but it's one of the better ones. 1/10

I hadn’t heard of Cannibal Apocalypse, I just looked it up on IMDB. The cover is pretty hysterical; it looks like there’s an ape on it but I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be a man in a brown jacket…

I think I’ll skip it based on your review.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You're wrong on only one thing here, there is no Alien in that movie (well technically yes, but you get what I mean). Absolute shit there too. I rewatched both franchises about a year ago, and the 2018 one is the worst of them all.
There's actually a 2018 movie called Alien Predator that he may have watched. It's unrelated to either franchise and was likely made to sponge off of the hype for the new, real Predator movie. It has an impressive 1.7/10 at IMDb.com. Based on that, it might be even worse than The Predator, if that's possible.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Long Day Closes (1992) - 5/10

Eugh got tricked into watching what's a light-musical. Somewhat similar in theme to Brannagh's recent Belfast but while I was critical of Brannagh cos his direction is obvious and shit as usual, it did feature some fun conversational dialogue and also dealt a bit more with what was going on in the background and not just the child protagonist. This film on the other hand just has every scene in a hazy snippet and nothing is formed. Tbh I also hate movies like this or Spirit of The Beehive or Cria Cuervos.

@Pranzo Oltranzista needs a Criticker account or something man it's hard to watch you go through so many shit films.

Reactions: OzzyFan

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
There's actually a 2018 movie called Alien Predator that he may have watched. It's unrelated to either franchise and was likely made to sponge off of the hype for the new, real Predator movie. It has an impressive 1.7/10 at IMDb.com. Based on that, it might be even worse than The Predator, if that's possible.
You must be right! Damn...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Spotlight (2015) -

original.jpg

Not going to get too much into a review of the film itself, but essentially Spotlight is based on the groundbreaking expose that revealed decades of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, and the shameful coverups that went straight to the Vatican.

This wasn’t my first go around with this film, but in the years since I first watched it, it’s upsetting how much the real life events have touched my own life.

My father had been a brother, but decided to leave the order before taking his final vows.

I was sent to a Catholic high school as a teen, and one of the brothers who taught me was a good friend of my fathers from the order.

A year after first watching this film, I found out this particular brother, who has passed, was accused by multiple people I went to school with of sexual abuse.

Not only did this devastate my father and me, but it forced me to confront all the times this individual would rub my shoulders and act strange - but I always passed it off as him being eccentric - and things never progressed beyond that thankfully.

Shortly after this news broke, my wife who also was Catholic, discovered the priest she grew up with in her small Canadian hometown, was convicted of sexual abuse.

Despite my own personal break from the Catholic faith after learning of all this, my father convinced me to send my daughter to a Catholic school, and I reluctantly agreed.

In 2019, one of the priests at my daughter’s school was removed when it was discovered he had been involved in decades of abusing children.

This was the most difficult situation for me personally, as I had to explain to my daughter the circumstances of why this man was removed.

Her telling me how much she loved this particular priest and how he would offer them candy all the time turned my stomach in knots.

Suffice to say, as I re-watched this movie, it hit a nerve that was even more raw than the initial viewing.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Frighteners (1996)
3.00 out of 4stars

“After a tragic car accident that killed his wife, a man discovers he can communicate with the dead to con people. However, when a demonic spirit appears, he may be the only one who can stop it from killing the living and the dead.”
A great supernatural comedy horror with a lot of humor, eye grabbing visual effects, and a lot of fun from good old Peter Jackson. Very well paced and never boring. And while the mysteries aren’t too hard to figure out, the movie is still very entertaining. Jackson’s dark humor is just the right kind of twisted. The special effects, top notch at the time, are nostalgic but realistic and just have this endearing kinetic cool vibe to them. I understand the complaints a tiny bit about the tone and story, but at the end of the day it’s still great popcorn entertainment at minimum. Minus maybe a scene or 2, I think this easily would have gotten a sought after PG-13 rating today. And I can’t knock Michael J Fox for anything in this role given that he was already dealing with early on-set Parkinson’s for a few years prior to even filming this.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
2.90 out of 4stars

“The next great psycho horror slasher killer in the making has given a documentary crew exclusive access to his life as he plans his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo.”
A great faux-documentary/satire dark comedy with obvious horror elements about the slasher genre from a killer’s perspective. Fun, and quite often on point and very funny, but I must say that you need a decent amount of slasher genre knowledge to enjoy the movie for what it is. Cleverly humanizes the slasher killer as psychotic, smart, and lucky with the occurrences within the genre. And Baesel’s turn as the killer is so so on point as he carries the movie. It does make some good points along the way with its humor, albeit nothing is super heady or revelatory. Surprisingly, there is nearly no real “horror horror” in the film. I was kind of expecting some to come but really nothing more than a couple scenes of minimal tension and a 15minutes or so ending of purposely mock-meta slasher stuff. Definitely not a horror movie, but one that gleefully finds the comedy of all of it in tribute-like fashion.

The Monster Squad (1987)
2.70 out of 4stars

“A young group of monster fanatics attempt to save their hometown from Count Dracula and his band of monsters.”
A good to great family-tween comedy adventure horror that is often funny and harmless light fun. It’s a little cheesy at times, but isn’t trying to be overly serious anyway. The dialogue and child antics are great. The dialogue from the kids is witty, sometimes fanboy-y, and “good childish”. The thrills and chills are of a PG to mildly PG-13 level. And the Universal monsters are traditionally rooted, albeit I wish were better utilized, but that’s minor especially when considering how the kids are the heart and blood of the story at hand and easily the film’s biggest high note. Some of it isn’t politically correct, but that’s minor, especially when we are talking about what comes out of “middle school aged” kids mouth’s.

Resurrection (2022)
2.65 out of 4stars

“Margaret’s life is in order. She is capable, disciplined, and successful. Everything is under control. That is, untold David returns, carrying with him the horrors of Margaret’s past that occurred 22years prior.”
A good psychological thriller horror that’s most notable for another strong Rebecca Hall performance. I’m very surprised to see Hall’s resume now in lead actress performances and not having even 1 oscar nomination (and also supposed great work behind the camera with Passing), one of the most underappreciated and unnoticed woman actresses currently. Here’s to wishing she gets a super meaty role worthy of her talents that the academy will notice. Now the movie, it’s heart is in the right place, but the script is a bit lacking and its major twist(s) a bit too unbelievable. Not ruining anything, but I would have preferred they go “loony supernatural” with the twist(s) and follow through or not make the twist the idea they did and still have a very effective believable film. The film is a tale about toxic relationships, how they harm their victims, and the after effects on victim’s once they’ve “escaped” said people/relationships. It delves into the tactics abusers use to manipulate and the psychological damage the victim’s deal with. It’s a scary whirlwind of control, guilt, destruction, paranoia/fear, bipolar interaction/feedback, need, and dysfunction all that never truly ever goes away and often fuels the way one lives their life post-traumatic relationship.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

Mr. Destiny

Shark Side of the Moon

Someone is deep in the Tubi mines. 🤣

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I went the other way and found the movie very overrated. I was not charmed. I thought she was a creep.

I did find it sweet myself, but I thought it was pretty overrated too. A lot of critics have this on a great list, but it is quite possibly the worst example of a great French film.

I am with you on the creep factor too. This movie always reminds me of the song "Every Breath You Take". Whenever people mention that they love the song, I always just pull out the lyrics, and tell them that it is about a stalker. That usually ruins the song for them.
:D

Reactions: Pink Mist

Ad

Ad

Ad