Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I definitely agree (as stated) that the killer's motivations are really illogical, but it doesn't ruin the movie for me. I like the look of "Jason" and enjoy a lot of the kills. But I also like Halloween 6, which has the most insane plot ever.
Do the Halloween films after!! I already did all of them in that thread:

Movies: - The Halloween Franchise

Edit: oh I see you commented there already with a ranking that is so far away from mine!! :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Do the Halloween films after!! I already did all of them in that thread:

Movies: - The Halloween Franchise

Edit: oh I see you commented there already with a ranking that is so far away from mine!! :)

I'm definitely going to rewatch them in the next couple months in anticipation of H: Ends.

Even without re-watching them, I need to change that list of mine (specifically need to move up the Zombie movies, especially 2; not sure what I was thinking there).

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I really enjoyed Prey, the Predator prequel on Hulu. For a franchise that's gotten so bloated and complicated this was a great return to basics. Stripped down, simple, mean and well executed. Amazing performances by Amber Midthunder and Dakota Beavers in what I hope becomes a consistent trend of native american actors playing native characters.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Angel Heart (1987)
3.15 out of 4stars

“A private investigator, Harry Angel, is hired by a mysterious man to track down a singer named Johnny Favorite. The investigation takes unexpected turns and brings Harry down a dark and spiraly road.”
A great neo-noir psychological horror that is a moody slow burn as it takes us through its twisty mystery tale with shocking turns. Mickey Rourke carries the film well through an often frantic dark journey. The ride takes us through some savage and supernatural bits as it cooks from New York to New Orleans. Whether you see the payoff coming or not, it still hits hard just because how excellent all the preceding is. Don’t read below if you haven’t seen it or don’t want to ruin this well done movie.

It’s ultimately about not being able to escape or hide from one’s past, one’s sins, or one’s evil/darkness inside (or one’s fate). No matter how hard one tries to act and behave normal or civilized or “good”, we all have some sort of darkness lingering in our subconscious or even spilling through in our “sinful” actions or words to a lesser extent. Everything catches up with you. And you always know who you truly are when you look in the mirror, even if others can’t or don’t see it. Some people scarily, that is their true self no matter what “tricky” facade they put on in public. But no one is ever as normal as they show on the surface, “all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God” (for a pertinent biblical line here). Self-image usually doesn’t match reality.

Huh, can’t believe this is a pre-Oldboy/Oldboy twist with more darkness to it. He not only screwed his daughter/raped on at least 1 level, but murdered her as well. And his past life he’s been “blinded from” was not only dark, but pure satanically spiritual evil and he still created trauma to this day in his new soul, self-recognized or real living fever dreams. Killing everyone he loved or had any connection to in his life. Even if De Niro’s name was too on the nose, the storytelling, elements, and acting mixed together made this a real treat. Man, the Devil held a major grudge and will drag you through Hell on Earth to get what he wants and make you feel truly deep mental agony.

Kiss of Death (1947)
3.05 out of 4stars

“Nick Bianco is caught during a botched jewelry heist. The prosecution offers him a more lenient sentence if he squeals on his accomplices, but he doesn’t roll over on them. Three years into his sentence, an event changes his mind.”
A great noir about fate that is best known for Richard Widmark’s debut Oscar nominated turn as Tommy Udo. Widmark’s giggly unpredictable fierce psychopathic role is the most memorable part of the film, but Mature is also good as a criminal with a family and his back against the wall. The movie is ultimately a sad commentary on how many convicted criminals are stuck in a black hole of life circumstances once released or even after squealing on other criminals to get a lesser sentence. The inability to get any or quality jobs forces many attempting to turn straight ex-cons back into a life of crime or other shady practices to earn a living for themselves and/or their families. That return to a life of crime is further enticed by the fact that the friends of ex-cons prior to their jailing were usually criminals also. And plea bargaining through squealing on other criminals puts a target on one’s back, possibly even to the lengths of a complete witness protection program “new life” far away from one’s present location and lifestyle. Or arguably worse, having a target on their back from their old criminal ties leading to assaults or death. It’s a bleak no win situation for these people regardless of the circumstances, whether they committed their crime out of “necessity”, desperation, repetitive choices, premeditation, or compulsion. Nor whether they did it as an “immature youth” or “ignorant child”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this film promotes crime, in fact it’s a huge message board to refrain from any thought of it. But, it does portray a picture of how hard it can be for one to make something of themself after committing any sort of jail-incarcerated crime.

Green Room (2015)
3.00 out of 4stars

“A traveling punk rock band is forced to fight for survival after witnessing a murder at a neo-Nazi skinhead bar and being locked in a green room.”
A great horror thriller that is cleverly written, suspenseful, and well balanced with its use of brutal graphic violence. It delivers on a smart enough scale, a “slasher gore” scale, and an adrenaline pumping ride scale. I’m surprised and not surprised that this isn’t more popular/known than it is (not surprised because the niche on paper that it is, and niche-r story it and story elements it has). That said, all the elements play so well into each other and create a fun and different kind of mix for the genre. All of it is also very well done. Not to mention, I’m sure the irony in a lot of this is all purposeful.

Prey (2022)
3.00 out of 4stars

“The origin story of the Predator in the world of the Comanche Nation 300 years ago/1719. Naru, a skilled female warrior, fights to protect her tribe against one of the first highly-evolved Predators to land on Earth.”
A great sci fi action thriller horror whose story may quite easily be the best of the franchise, while still keeping to the traditional roots of the original movie of the franchise. I’d argue it’s easily the 2nd best movie behind the original. Interesting, suspenseful, well orchestrated action, bloodily violent, and thoughtful. It’s also part coming of age story/period piece that is well done all around and even includes some commentary on gender roles. It does great justice to everything it touches on, especially the Native Americans. The other heart of the story is all about hunting and predators vs predators vs prey, so to speak. One may hunt for sport or survival (food or protection). One may even hunt out of bloodlust, “alpha maleness”, or even self testing I’d say. The mindsets are definitely different between the 2 shown here, along with obvious other technical advantages. Hunting with advanced technology/weaponry is advantageous, but a possible get out of jail free card at times, and ultimately weakens one's true tactical thinking and combative skillset. Not to mention, resiliency and respect given for one’s “enemies” in this department are on completely different levels too. There’s some quite interesting in-depth subtext going on around the topic of hunting here also.

Shot in the Dark (1964)
3.10 out of 4stars

“The pink panther, inspector Jacques Clouseau, investigates the murder of Mr. Benjamin Ballon’s driver at a country estate.”
A great comedy mystery that contains a lot of silly fun slapstick hi-jinks a la Peter Sellers in the main role. The story turns and dialogue is mostly humorous and even the things that are a touch repetitive always up the ante or become even more laughable in slightly different ways. Sellers of course is the main interest, but all his counterparts are well up to the task here too.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Angel Heart (1987)
3.15 out of 4stars

“A private investigator, Harry Angel, is hired by a mysterious man to track down a singer named Johnny Favorite. The investigation takes unexpected turns and brings Harry down a dark and spiraly road.”
A great neo-noir psychological horror that is a moody slow burn as it takes us through its twisty mystery tale with shocking turns. Mickey Rourke carries the film well through an often frantic dark journey. The ride takes us through some savage and supernatural bits as it cooks from New York to New Orleans. Whether you see the payoff coming or not, it still hits hard just because how excellent all the preceding is. Don’t read below if you haven’t seen it or don’t want to ruin this well done movie.

It’s ultimately about not being able to escape or hide from one’s past, one’s sins, or one’s evil/darkness inside (or one’s fate). No matter how hard one tries to act and behave normal or civilized or “good”, we all have some sort of darkness lingering in our subconscious or even spilling through in our “sinful” actions or words to a lesser extent. Everything catches up with you. And you always know who you truly are when you look in the mirror, even if others can’t or don’t see it. Some people scarily, that is their true self no matter what “tricky” facade they put on in public. But no one is ever as normal as they show on the surface, “all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God” (for a pertinent biblical line here). Self-image usually doesn’t match reality.

Huh, can’t believe this is a pre-Oldboy/Oldboy twist with more darkness to it. He not only screwed his daughter/raped on at least 1 level, but murdered her as well. And his past life he’s been “blinded from” was not only dark, but pure satanically spiritual evil and he still created trauma to this day in his new soul, self-recognized or real living fever dreams. Killing everyone he loved or had any connection to in his life. Even if De Niro’s name was too on the nose, the storytelling, elements, and acting mixed together made this a real treat. Man, the Devil held a major grudge and will drag you through Hell on Earth to get what he wants and make you feel truly deep mental agony.

Kiss of Death (1947)
3.05 out of 4stars

“Nick Bianco is caught during a botched jewelry heist. The prosecution offers him a more lenient sentence if he squeals on his accomplices, but he doesn’t roll over on them. Three years into his sentence, an event changes his mind.”
A great noir about fate that is best known for Richard Widmark’s debut Oscar nominated turn as Tommy Udo. Widmark’s giggly unpredictable fierce psychopathic role is the most memorable part of the film, but Mature is also good as a criminal with a family and his back against the wall. The movie is ultimately a sad commentary on how many convicted criminals are stuck in a black hole of life circumstances once released or even after squealing on other criminals to get a lesser sentence. The inability to get any or quality jobs forces many attempting to turn straight ex-cons back into a life of crime or other shady practices to earn a living for themselves and/or their families. That return to a life of crime is further enticed by the fact that the friends of ex-cons prior to their jailing were usually criminals also. And plea bargaining through squealing on other criminals puts a target on one’s back, possibly even to the lengths of a complete witness protection program “new life” far away from one’s present location and lifestyle. Or arguably worse, having a target on their back from their old criminal ties leading to assaults or death. It’s a bleak no win situation for these people regardless of the circumstances, whether they committed their crime out of “necessity”, desperation, repetitive choices, premeditation, or compulsion. Nor whether they did it as an “immature youth” or “ignorant child”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this film promotes crime, in fact it’s a huge message board to refrain from any thought of it. But, it does portray a picture of how hard it can be for one to make something of themself after committing any sort of jail-incarcerated crime.

Green Room (2015)
3.00 out of 4stars

“A traveling punk rock band is forced to fight for survival after witnessing a murder at a neo-Nazi skinhead bar and being locked in a green room.”
A great horror thriller that is cleverly written, suspenseful, and well balanced with its use of brutal graphic violence. It delivers on a smart enough scale, a “slasher gore” scale, and an adrenaline pumping ride scale. I’m surprised and not surprised that this isn’t more popular/known than it is (not surprised because the niche on paper that it is, and niche-r story it and story elements it has). That said, all the elements play so well into each other and create a fun and different kind of mix for the genre. All of it is also very well done. Not to mention, I’m sure the irony in a lot of this is all purposeful.

Prey (2022)
3.00 out of 4stars

“The origin story of the Predator in the world of the Comanche Nation 300 years ago/1719. Naru, a skilled female warrior, fights to protect her tribe against one of the first highly-evolved Predators to land on Earth.”
A great sci fi action thriller horror whose story may quite easily be the best of the franchise, while still keeping to the traditional roots of the original movie of the franchise. I’d argue it’s easily the 2nd best movie behind the original. Interesting, suspenseful, well orchestrated action, bloodily violent, and thoughtful. It’s also part coming of age story/period piece that is well done all around and even includes some commentary on gender roles. It does great justice to everything it touches on, especially the Native Americans. The other heart of the story is all about hunting and predators vs predators vs prey, so to speak. One may hunt for sport or survival (food or protection). One may even hunt out of bloodlust, “alpha maleness”, or even self testing I’d say. The mindsets are definitely different between the 2 shown here, along with obvious other technical advantages. Hunting with advanced technology/weaponry is advantageous, but a possible get out of jail free card at times, and ultimately weakens one's true tactical thinking and combative skillset. Not to mention, resiliency and respect given for one’s “enemies” in this department are on completely different levels too. There’s some quite interesting in-depth subtext going on around the topic of hunting here also.

Shot in the Dark (1964)
3.10 out of 4stars

“The pink panther, inspector Jacques Clouseau, investigates the murder of Mr. Benjamin Ballon’s driver at a country estate.”
A great comedy mystery that contains a lot of silly fun slapstick hi-jinks a la Peter Sellers in the main role. The story turns and dialogue is mostly humorous and even the things that are a touch repetitive always up the ante or become even more laughable in slightly different ways. Sellers of course is the main interest, but all his counterparts are well up to the task here too.
I just love A Shot In the Dark and Angel Heart! I also watched Prey last night - and while I agree it's probably the second best film in the franchise (not too hard to get there), I'm not as high on it as most people... I guess I'll comment a little later.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
281c-81876b916f001118b4fba8a36d352cdc.jpg

Prey (Tratchenberg, 2022) – This could have easily been the best Predator film. Sadly, it's watered down by compromises. From the little things I could read, I think the original project was supposed to be shot in Comanche (now there's a Comanche dub that I couldn't seem to find in the audio options, but that Osprey watched, still interesting, but it really should have been the mandatory option, and I don't like dubs) and, more importantly, I think it was supposed to emulate the original film's genre bending structure, with no mention of the Predator in its marketing. I don't know if I got any of that right, but that would have been a pretty interesting movie. As it is, the coming-of-age pseudo feminist first half of the movie works pretty well, but it's tainted with Predator inserts that remind the viewer he's only waiting for the real problems to get there. Anyway, it almost gets through its first hour without getting dumb. The tone and pace were right, I was ready to like this thing a lot. I had a big trouble with the language (why would they speak to each other in English with a few lines in Comanche? Why would they even know English if the French are the ones on their grounds?) but I was really appreciating that they were doing without the self-referential idiocy that was ruining the sequels (no ugly motherf***er in sight, and well, no predadogs, super-preds and all the other ridiculous stuff that went down in the sequels). But then... “If it bleeds, we can kill it”... Why? Why not “Get to the chopper!” too? And the French trappers, oh please no... what terrible actors, what terrible French too (most of the actors are from Québec, couldn't anybody tell them most of the lines didn't work? I guess Mike Paterson got them to believe he could speak French because he's from Montreal and they let it fly). I think the trappers are also a huge missed opportunity to say something more interesting about predation. I didn't really mind the final confrontation, and I thought the brother's effort against the creature was pretty cool, but the film was kind of ruined for me then. It still stands out through the terrible, terrible Predator films and is certainly top-3, behind the original, and probably ahead of Predators (the only 3 that are actually watchable). And one last not really important thing, the original creature is the sexiest beast ever, why change it? 4/10

Also...

The Marksman (Lorenz, 2021) – At least Neeson is a little more believable in this role than in most of his action films of the last 10 years. It's really formulaic and kind of boring. I really disliked the kid and I would have preferred that the dog survived over him. 3/10

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
281c-81876b916f001118b4fba8a36d352cdc.jpg

Prey (Tratchenberg, 2022) – This could have easily been the best Predator film. Sadly, it's watered down by compromises. From the little things I could read, I think the original project was supposed to be shot in Comanche (now there's a Comanche dub that I couldn't seem to find in the audio options, but that Osprey watched, still interesting, but it really should have been the mandatory option, and I don't like dubs) and, more importantly, I think it was supposed to emulate the original film's genre bending structure, with no mention of the Predator in its marketing. I don't know if I got any of that right, but that would have been a pretty interesting movie. As it is, the coming-of-age pseudo feminist first half of the movie works pretty well, but it's tainted with Predator inserts that remind the viewer he's only waiting for the real problems to get there. Anyway, it almost gets through its first hour without getting dumb. The tone and pace were right, I was ready to like this thing a lot. I had a big trouble with the language (why would they speak to each other in English with a few lines in Comanche? Why would they even know English if the French are the ones on their grounds?) but I was really appreciating that they were doing without the self-referential idiocy that was ruining the sequels (no ugly motherf***er in sight, and well, no predadogs, super-preds and all the other ridiculous stuff that went down in the sequels). But then... “If it bleeds, we can kill it”... Why? Why not “Get to the chopper!” too? And the French trappers, oh please no... what terrible actors, what terrible French too (most of the actors are from Québec, couldn't anybody tell them most of the lines didn't work? I guess Mike Paterson got them to believe he could speak French because he's from Montreal and they let it fly). I think the trappers are also a huge missed opportunity to say something more interesting about predation. I didn't really mind the final confrontation, and I thought the brother's effort against the creature was pretty cool, but the film was kind of ruined for me then. It still stands out through the terrible, terrible Predator films and is certainly top-3, behind the original, and probably ahead of Predators (the only 3 that are actually watchable). And one last not really important thing, the original creature is the sexiest beast ever, why change it? 4/10

Also...

The Marksman (Lorenz, 2021) – At least Neeson is a little more believable in this role than in most of his action films of the last 10 years. It's really formulaic and kind of boring. I really disliked the kid and I would have preferred that the dog survived over him. 3/10

Welcome back to crap town!

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
broderick-crawford.jpg

All the King's Men-1949

'Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts... perhaps the fear of a loss of power.' -John Steinbeck

An honest farmer see corruption in local politics and decides to run for office. Despite intimidation he's undaunted but loses his election. He then is convinced to run for governor and loses again but learns why he lost and what it takes to win. Loosely based on a real life figure (Huey Long in Louisiana). Don't know if even someone like Orson Welles could have given the performance of Broderick Crawford. Crawford gives an off the cuff speech at one point which is powerful and dynamic, convincing that he could inspire and motivate a crowd. John Ireland is very good as the reporter turned aide and Mercedes McCambridge in her first film won an academy award. Strong political film.

c482d047.jpg

The New World-2005

In 1607 an English ships lands on the coast of Virginia. They come across a band of Algonquin who are more inquisitive then hostile. The ship heads back to England leaving behind a group of men to start a settlement, one of them is tasked with going up river to make contact with the natives there. He is captured and this is where Pocohontas story takes over. I read up on her and the story is based on the facts known. Terrence Mallick apparently started preparing this film in the 1970's. It's beautifully shot like his film The Thin Red Line. It is long though and very spiritual (saw the 165 minute release).As a student of history, I enjoyed it.

ladykillers.jpg

The Ladykillers-2004

Another search for a great remake, this one of the 1955 classic. The plot is pretty much the same as the original, a kind elderly lady (Irma Hall) has a room to rent. (Tom Hanks) visits and enquires about the room. Under the guise of rehearsing with his musical friends he talks her into using the basement. And of course there are alterior motives. Even if someone was a Tom Hanks fan or maybe especially if they are would skip this one. It's a different film from the original, Hanks southern accent is grating and the best acting in the film was probably by Pickles (the cat). Liked the ending though.

f5ef5ca9-6979-46b9-a8d6-e7b345417417-2060x1236.jpeg

The Last Station-2009

Biopic of Leo Tolstoy near the end of his life and the struggle over his will. Interesting film, from reading up on him came across as based on fact. Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer have nice chemistry in the film.

As%2BGood%2Bas%2BIt%2BGets%2B%25281997%2529.jpg

As Good As It Gets-1997

Melvin (Jack Nicholson) lives in an apartment and is a writer who doesn't seem to like people. He has a sharp wit and tongue. His neighbour is a gay man (Greg Kinnear), who Melvin is especially nasty to verbally. Melvin likes to eat at a nearby café and be served by the same waitress, Carol (Helen Hunt). She has a son with some health problems. A pretty unlikely relationship evolves between the three as they deal with their lives. Well written, superb cast including Shirley Knight who I remember from Dutchman and Harold Ramis another director who can act. Three leads are great, Jack is really on his game, one of my favorites of his films.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I had started to watch Tenet thinking it would be my "serious movie" of the night when I understood Prey was available - so like the little nerd I am, I dropped it to go see the monster movie (anyway, wasn't much more serious).
I was planning to watch the first thing in weeks that wasn't a popcorn or horror movie. Then, Prey dropped and I ended up watching a popcorn horror movie. :help:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
FZGYVWhWAAAOo7P.jpg

Nope (2022) Directed by Jordan Peele 7A

The problem for me with Jordan Peele movies (Us; Get Out) is I spend more time concentrating on their often razor sharp social commentary than I do on the plot. Not a problem here. Yeah, some of that stuff is floating around, but you can worry about it later. Nope focuses on a brother and sister team of horse wranglers whose ranch provides horses for Hollywood film productions. The movie starts with their elderly father being killed by a coin that inexplicably falls from the sky. Where that coin came from is at the heart of the movie. Basically, Nope is an alien invasion movie with several very clever and fresh twists on some familiar material. The stakes are refreshingly modest--our heroes initially just want to get a picture of the damn thing on film. There is probably too much character development and exposition for some (roughly a third of this two hour movie). However, the characters are sufficiently interesting that I would have been okay if the movie had never gotten around to the science fiction at all. Nonetheless, Peele just has a very creative way of looking at established sci-fi genre beats, and it kept me hookedd throughout. Maybe not quite as much fun as Tremors, but in that same general ballpark.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Amélie / Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

Amélie (Audrey Tautou) is a pretty and shy Parisian barista who occupies her time by subtly intruding in other people’s lives. Your prototypical manic pixie dream girl. Through her interventions she catches feels for another Parisian weirdo and plays a cat and mouse game where she tries to intervene in his life without him knowing and evade him knowing her identity or her love for him. For a certain generation of cinephiles a couple of years older than me Amélie was a great hit and was for many their first foray into French/international film. Its not hard to see why. Although the film is certainly different than your typical Hollywood fare, it isn’t too different than say a Wes Anderson film. Once you get over the subtitles you’re basically watching a Wes Anderson film so it makes a pretty good “baby’s first foreign film”. This was my first time watching it and I don’t hold it in as high regard as others. The film is fine, but I think it is a little too sweet and quirky for its own good at times and Jeunet utilizes closeups of a coy smile from Tautou far too often. I do love the colour design of the film though with the pastel green, red, and yellows and I can see why it was a huge hit for people. Its sugar sweet charm just isn’t really for me though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Licorice Pizza - 2/10

Just a terrible movie. Some decent acting gets it one point and because it's Paul Thomas Anderson it looks good enough to garner one more point. Terrible plot that manages to be both extremely boring and annoyingly constructed. Things, that aren't very interesting, just happen with no explanation or consequence, and then it moves on to the next boring vignette and repeats the process. I really can't believe how bad it was. I'd guess that PTA's going for the vibe of that part of California in the 1970s, but I just couldn't care because that's all that the movie had to offer and he, and others, have done pretty much the same thing before and so much better.

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Amélie (Audrey Tautou) is a pretty and shy Parisian barista who occupies her time by subtly intruding in other people’s lives. Your prototypical manic pixie dream girl. Through her interventions she catches feels for another Parisian weirdo and plays a cat and mouse game where she tries to intervene in his life without him knowing and evade him knowing her identity or her love for him. For a certain generation of cinephiles a couple of years older than me Amélie was a great hit and was for many their first foray into French/international film. Its not hard to see why. Although the film is certainly different than your typical Hollywood fare, it isn’t too different than say a Wes Anderson film. Once you get over the subtitles you’re basically watching a Wes Anderson film so it makes a pretty good “baby’s first foreign film”. This was my first time watching it and I don’t hold it in as high regard as others. The film is fine, but I think it is a little too sweet and quirky for its own good at times and Jeunet utilizes closeups of a coy smile from Tautou far too often. I do love the colour design of the film though with the pastel green, red, and yellows and I can see why it was a huge hit for people. Its sugar sweet charm just isn’t really for me though.

The gf is a huge fan. I don't mind the film, it's light and fun and very well made. It just borrows too much from Sacha Guitry for me to really credit Jeunet with the great tone and quirkiness of his film. I still have it at 8/10, it's certainly worth a watch but people should seek Le roman d'un tricheur first.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
5472.jpg

13 Lives (2022) Directed by Ron Howard 6A

In 2018, a soccer team of 12 boys and their coach got trapped deep in a cave in Thailand when torrential rains hit. It took a long time, a week and a half, to realize that they had actually survived and more time trying to figure out what to do next because there was seemingly no way imaginable to get the boys and their coach to safety from the water-filled crave. Thai Navy Seals, considered by some the toughest Seals from any country, tried and failed. Two amateur divers from Great Britain were asked to help as no one else had their particular expertise. They thought the task was insurmountable as well, but then they called a friend back home, another cave diver, who was an aenesthetist of all things. 13 Lives details this true story and what happened next.

13 Lives takes longer to do what was done more succinctly and more powerfully in one of last year's finest documentaries, The Cave. But 13 Lives is still worth seeing. Howard uses the extra time to flesh out details in ways that the documentary couldn't. There are some amazing underwater sequences in the tight caves; in fact, too many of them as they get repetitive after awhile. Still the movie does justice to this story, has a gripping final act and is graced by two "everyman" performances by Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrell who present their heroes as down to earth and divorced from any hint of glamour. In all seventeen countries contributed to the rescue efforts. Despite all of this impressive cooperation, in the end luck or karma, take your pick; played the biggest role; if a guy didn't know a guy who knew a guy....there wouldn't be a movie.

Prime Video

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The gf is a huge fan. I don't mind the film, it's light and fun and very well made. It just borrows too much from Sacha Guitry for me to really credit Jeunet with the great tone and quirkiness of his film. I still have it at 8/10, it's certainly worth a watch but people should seek Le roman d'un tricheur first.
I went the other way and found the movie very overrated. I was not charmed. I thought she was a creep.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I was a freshman in the dorms in 03-04. This was basically what the females watched in their rooms over and over while the guys rooms were Donnie Darko and Boondock Saints.

I saw it and don't remember it having much of an impression on me at the time, but the Wes Anderson connection makes a ton of sense to me. Felt like it leaned heavily on charm but the substance did not last with me at all.

What is it the kids say? This movie was all vibes.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - 7/10

Jason Voorhees stalks the camp counselors at Camp Crystal Lake.

If you ask the Average Joe to give a synopsis of the Friday the 13th series, what I just wrote is likely how they'll respond. However, it's not until the sixth entry in the series that it's actually true. And that's with me stretching the truth a bit - Camp Crystal Lake has been renamed to Camp Forest Green in this film. Also - for the first and only time in series history - there are actually campers there!

To quote the Youtube channel Dead Meat, this is "the first Friday film that feels like a real movie." Compared to its predecessors, Part VI has stronger cinematography, direction, and seemingly production values, even though the budget is more or less the same with previous entires. It definitely stands out from the rest of the series, especially when you're watching them all in a row (like a certain someone is).

In addition to the step up in visual quality, there are a couple of other big changes. The first is that Part VI is loaded with comedy; they beat you over the head with it to the point the movie borders on parody. Because it's so tongue-in-cheek, the movie feels like a series reboot, and honestly feels like something you'd see coming out in 2022 - not 1986, only a year after Part V.

The other big change is this is the first movie with a supernatural element in the form of the unkillable "Zombie" Jason. He was tough to deal with before, but he could be wounded. In this movie, Jason absorbs multiple .357 Magnum rounds to the chest from point blank range and it doesn't do anything. He's unstoppable.

Because of the added comedy and supernatural element, I've always seen Part VI has the Metallica "Black" Album of the series. Though it's high in quality (in my opinion at least; and many probably wouldn't agree that the Black Album is high in quality), it's so different from the previous entries that it changes the direction of the rest of the series, and not in a good way. More on that later.

Personally part VI is one of my favorites. Though I generally prefer my Friday movies with the raw, more serious feel of the earlier entries, I still enjoy this one a lot. I love the look of utility belt Jason (a controversial opinion), and Part VI has some of my favorite kills; specifically the RV sequence. Additionally, the film features my favorite protagonist, Sheriff Garris. He definitely starts off as an asshole and you think they're setting him up to be an antagonist, but he turns out to be the heartbeat of the movie, IMO.

It's not all sunshines and rainbows though. Aside from the divisive comedy element, this movie also has character issues. As mentioned, I love Sheriff Garris, and for the most part the side characters are okay. The problem is Tommy Jarvis sucks; it's an extremely ham performance by Thom Matthews, and his acting is distractingly bad in some scenes. "Final girl" Megan is pretty mediocre too, though I chalk this up as a writing issue more than an acting one. Jennifer Cooke's performance is pretty good, she just doesn't have much to work with.

Either way, I could pretty much have cared less if either character lived or died. Obviously, not ideal that the two main characters are duds, but the rest of the movie is strong enough to overcome it.

Also, not sure where to throw this in, but according to the sources I've read, this movie takes place roughly 1 year after Part V.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) - 6/10

Almost 10 years after the events of Part VI, Jason re-emerges to stalk a group of Crystal Lake vacationers holding a surprise birthday party. However, he may have met his match in the clairvoyant supernatural Tina.

Part VII is the first movie with Kane Hodder portraying Jason; ironic because his first turn playing the slasher villain is so late in the series, even though he's the actor most synonymous with playing the slasher villain. Though Hodder isn't my personal favorite Jason, he unquestionably adds a ton of swagger to the character. Jason also visually looks outstanding in this movie; the battle damaged make-up is one of his most iconic looks.

Though Jason is a stand out, Part VII has issues. The first of which is the plot; it's pretty bad. I can live with Tina having supernatural powers, but the subplot of her doctor trying to manipulate her for personal gain takes up a ton of the screen time and doesn't really go anywhere. Her doctor, Dr. Crews, and one of the party goers, Melissa, are the first two non-serial killer antagonists in the series, by the way.

Famously, of all the movies in the series, this is the one that got watered down the most by the MPAA; Part VII cuts away jarringly quick from most kills. There is even a kill where Jason mauls someone with a tree trimmer, but we don't see a drop of blood.

My biggest issue with this movie is the direction though. Aside from being a step down from Part VI in general, we get a ton - a ton - of POV shots of Jason, which look like someone walking while holding a camcorder. With only a couple exceptions, every kill goes like this: a character is distracted looking at something. Cut to a POV shot of Jason stumbling towards their oblivious ass. Character turn at the last second and Jason kills them.

It's very lame and it happens at least five times in Part VII. There is a very cool moment where a character is walking through a dark kitchen; lightning strikes and we see Jason standing in the corner. They don't even beat you over the head with it either; it's possible to miss Jason hiding in the corner, which makes it somewhat creepier. However, the character then starts rummaging through the refrigerator and you can guess what happens next. POV shot of Jason approaching, character turns at the last second, dead. I think the scene would've been a lot more effective if lightning had struck again, we see Jason is now missing, and then said character is stalked for a minute or two before meeting their demise. Speaking of which, lightning strikes three or four times in this movie, but it's one of the rare Friday movies where it doesn't rain.

Part VII isn't all bad though. The final 15 minutes, the battle between Jason and Tina, is one of the most iconic moments of the series. Great stunt work by Kane Hodder, who takes a beating - including falling through a staircase and being set on fire. Also, even after the MPAA forced edits, this movie does have some kills I really enjoy; specifically the famous sleeping bag kill, and another kill where a character gets axed in the face.

I also love the intro, narrated by Walt Gorney, who played Crazy Ralph in the first two films. It shows clips from Parts IV & VI and it set to very dark and foreboding music, informing the audience that the comedy of the previous entry won't be found in this movie.

Part VII is the last Friday entry for a while that takes place in the familiar Crystal Lake area. I give it a light 6 (6 = average/okay for me). It has its problems, but it's still a decent entry into the series.

A couple other random notes I don't know where to cram in...
  • For all of the LGBTQ fans, Friday the 13th Part VII is apparently often referred to as FriGay the 13th, due to the fact five of the actors in the film are gay. Jason doesn't discriminate with who he kills.
  • The Friday movies have always messed around with time. I've been trying to add timeline information in my reviews because some movies take place years apart, whereas others take place literally the following day. Part VII is the most egregious though, taking place close to a decade after Part VI. According to the sources I've read, that places this film somewhere between 1997 and 2001, which is hilarious because this movie could not visually look anymore like the 1980's.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I went the other way and found the movie very overrated. I was not charmed. I thought she was a creep.
One of my colleagues used to crap on the film saying it was just the quest of an unfulfilled young lady needing to get laid, and that it could have been done with in the first 20 minutes had she stopped blabling a second.

I was a freshman in the dorms in 03-04. This was basically what the females watched in their rooms over and over while the guys rooms were Donnie Darko and Boondock Saints.

I saw it and don't remember it having much of an impression on me at the time, but the Wes Anderson connection makes a ton of sense to me. Felt like it leaned heavily on charm but the substance did not last with me at all.

What is it the kids say? This movie was all vibes.
This is mucho ironic. Haven't seen Boondock, but DD's vibes were of another level.

(and I don't think it's fair to Amélie!)

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

If you ask the Average Joe to give a synopsis of the Friday the 13th series, what I just wrote is likely how they'll respond. However, it's not until the sixth entry in the series that it's actually true. And that's with me stretching the truth a bit - Camp Crystal Lake has been renamed to Camp Forest Green in this film. Also - for the first and only time in series history - there are actually campers there!

To quote the Youtube channel Dead Meat, this is "the first Friday film that feels like a real movie." Compared to its predecessors, Part VI has stronger cinematography, direction, and seemingly production values, even though the budget is more or less the same with previous entires. It definitely stands out from the rest of the series, especially when you're watching them all in a row (like a certain someone is).

In addition to the step up in visual quality, there are a couple of other big changes. The first is that Part VI is loaded with comedy; they beat you over the head with it to the point the movie borders on parody. Because it's so tongue-in-cheek, the movie feels like a series reboot, and honestly feels like something you'd see coming out in 2022 - not 1986, only a year after Part V.

The other big change is this is the first movie with a supernatural element in the form of the unkillable "Zombie" Jason. He was tough to deal with before, but he could be wounded. In this movie, Jason absorbs multiple .357 Magnum rounds to the chest from point blank range and it doesn't do anything. He's unstoppable.

Because of the added comedy and supernatural element, I've always seen Part VI has the Metallica "Black" Album of the series. Though it's high in quality (in my opinion at least; and many probably wouldn't agree that the Black Album is high in quality), it's so different from the previous entries that it changes the direction of the rest of the series, and not in a good way. More on that later.

Personally part VI is one of my favorites. Though I generally prefer my Friday movies with the raw, more serious feel of the earlier entries, I still enjoy this one a lot. I love the look of utility belt Jason (a controversial opinion), and Part VI has some of my favorite kills; specifically the RV sequence. Additionally, the film features my favorite protagonist, Sheriff Garris. He definitely starts off as an asshole and you think they're setting him up to be an antagonist, but he turns out to be the heartbeat of the movie, IMO.

It's not all sunshines and rainbows though. Aside from the divisive comedy element, this movie also has character issues. As mentioned, I love Sheriff Garris, and for the most part the side characters are okay. The problem is Tommy Jarvis sucks; it's an extremely ham performance by Thom Matthews, and his acting is distractingly bad in some scenes. "Final girl" Megan is pretty mediocre too, though I chalk this up as a writing issue more than an acting one. Jennifer Cooke's performance is pretty good, she just doesn't have much to work with.

Either way, I could pretty much have cared less if either character lived or died. Obviously, not ideal that the two main characters are duds, but the rest of the movie is strong enough to overcome it.

Also, not sure where to throw this in, but according to the sources I've read, this movie takes place roughly 1 year after Part V.

Almost 10 years after the events of Part VI, Jason re-emerges to stalk a group of Crystal Lake vacationers holding a surprise birthday party. However, he may have met his match in the clairvoyant supernatural Tina.

Part VII is the first movie with Kane Hodder portraying Jason; ironic because his first turn playing the slasher villain is so late in the series, even though he's the actor most synonymous with playing the slasher villain. Though Hodder isn't my personal favorite Jason, he unquestionably adds a ton of swagger to the character. Jason also visually looks outstanding in this movie; the battle damaged make-up is one of his most iconic looks.

Though Jason is a stand out, Part VII has issues. The first of which is the plot; it's pretty bad. I can live with Tina having supernatural powers, but the subplot of her doctor trying to manipulate her for personal gain takes up a ton of the screen time and doesn't really go anywhere. Her doctor, Dr. Crews, and one of the party goers, Melissa, are the first two non-serial killer antagonists in the series, by the way.

Famously, of all the movies in the series, this is the one that got watered down the most by the MPAA; Part VII cuts away jarringly quick from most kills. There is even a kill where Jason mauls someone with a tree trimmer, but we don't see a drop of blood.

My biggest issue with this movie is the direction though. Aside from being a step down from Part VI in general, we get a ton - a ton - of POV shots of Jason, which look like someone walking while holding a camcorder. With only a couple exceptions, every kill goes like this: a character is distracted looking at something. Cut to a POV shot of Jason stumbling towards their oblivious ass. Character turn at the last second and Jason kills them.

It's very lame and it happens at least five times in Part VII. There is a very cool moment where a character is walking through a dark kitchen; lightning strikes and we see Jason standing in the corner. They don't even beat you over the head with it either; it's possible to miss Jason hiding in the corner, which makes it somewhat creepier. However, the character then starts rummaging through the refrigerator and you can guess what happens next. POV shot of Jason approaching, character turns at the last second, dead. I think the scene would've been a lot more effective if lightning had struck again, we see Jason is now missing, and then said character is stalked for a minute or two before meeting their demise. Speaking of which, lightning strikes three or four times in this movie, but it's one of the rare Friday movies where it doesn't rain.

Part VII isn't all bad though. The final 15 minutes, the battle between Jason and Tina, is one of the most iconic moments of the series. Great stunt work by Kane Hodder, who takes a beating - including falling through a staircase and being set on fire. Also, even after the MPAA forced edits, this movie does have some kills I really enjoy; specifically the famous sleeping bag kill, and another kill where a character gets axed in the face.

I also love the intro, narrated by Walt Gorney, who played Crazy Ralph in the first two films. It shows clips from Parts IV & VI and it set to very dark and foreboding music, informing the audience that the comedy of the previous entry won't be found in this movie.

Part VII is the last Friday entry for a while that takes place in the familiar Crystal Lake area. I give it a light 6 (6 = average/okay for me). It has its problems, but it's still a decent entry into the series.

• For all of the LGBTQ fans, Friday the 13th Part VII is apparently often referred to as FriGay the 13th, due to the fact five of the actors in the film are gay. Jason doesn't discriminate with who he kills.
  • The Friday movies have always messed around with time. I've been trying to add timeline information in my reviews because some movies take place years apart, whereas others take place literally the following day. Part VII is the most egregious though, taking place close to a decade after Part VI. According to the sources I've read, that places this film somewhere between 1997 and 2001, which is hilarious because this movie could not visually look anymore like the 1980's.
There's some wild grade inflation going on here.

I agree with VI being kinda good though. And yeah the RV scene rules. I'm enjoying reading your reviews but I just can't *love* this series much. Not the biggest fan of slashers but I just can't escape thinking Halloween did all of this better when I watch Jason.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
One of my colleagues used to crap on the film saying it was just the quest of an unfulfilled young lady needing to get laid, and that it could have been done with in the first 20 minutes had she stopped blabling a second.

This is mucho ironic. Haven't seen Boondock, but DD's vibes were of another level.

(and I don't think it's fair to Amélie!)
Oh I was saying I don't really remember Amelie. I saw it, remember the vibes but not really anything else. Wasn't a critique, just saying it didn't stick with me personally.

You're missing nothing with Boondock Saints. It's a very adolescent movie and I was an adolescent around a bunch of other adolescents. I think I re-watched it about five years ago and couldn't make it halfway through before I turned it off. Just not a good movie but 18 year old me had shit taste.

I remember not really digging DD much - felt very... tryhard? But yeah it was like "do you like Tim Burton but can't wait for the next Tim Burton movie (or maybe Burton was making shit movies by now I don't remember) - watch this!" But that's another movie I haven't seen in 20 years so maybe it's better than I remember.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

I agree with everything - especially your reading of part VI as parody and that it now feels ahead of its time - but I can't agree with your appreciation of them. To me, the parody angle takes a lot away from part VI (that and Jarvis, who is as you said, a terrible protagonist), and I preferred part VII, even though you are again absolutely right about all of its flaws (and I'm curious, who was your favorite Jason? CJ Graham? I like Hodder a lot). As for the parody angle, it only comes back in part 10, and we know the results...

Edit: oh, and no mention of Alice Cooper's music?! ;-)

I agree with VI being kinda good though. And yeah the RV scene rules. I'm enjoying reading your reviews but I just can't *love* this series much. Not the biggest fan of slashers but I just can't escape thinking Halloween did all of this better when I watch Jason.
Depends what Halloween films you look at. Part 1 and 2 are good to great slashers, but after that, the original series is very poor. I like Zombie's remakes, but I really dislike the new reboot. There's very few Halloween movies that I'd take over F13 part 4-3-2-1, and even 7. As a whole, I think the F13 franchise is more consistent.

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

For me, a 6 = average/okay, a 7 = above average. I know the Friday series isn't high art, but for the most part they're decent horror movies.

The Halloween series is my favorite and has higher highs than the Friday the 13th movies. I do find the Friday movies to be more consistently decent from movie to movie though; the Halloween series has a lot of variability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad