Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Sing 2 (2021) - 7/10

A rag tag group of animal thespians (koala, gorilla, pig, etc.) try to open a show in Vegas-equivalent Red Shore City, but to do so are forced to work with a maniacal producer.

I've never seen the original Sing and it wasn't my choice to watch this movie, but I'm glad I did. It's a solid movie with a A-List cast, and really outstanding animation. It was a fun popcorn flick to start my Friday night doubleheader with the next piece of trash I watched...

Friday the 13th Part 3 [3D] (1982) - 6/10

One day after the events at Packanack Lodge in Part 2, a group of young adults vacation at nearby lakefront property Higgins Haven are stalked by Jason.

This movie has issues, and most of them are technical. Part 3 was the first movie to be shot in anamorphic widescreen (2.39.1), and it just doesn't work with this type of film; everything feels crunched down. Because it was shot in 3D, director Steve Miner (returning from Part 2) used a series of special lenses for this entry. The result is a movie in which 90% of the scenes are extremely grainy, have dirt or film artifacts, have soft focus around the edges, and/or are completely out of focus (in the case of a couple longer scenes). It's distractingly bad.

The first 10 minutes of the movie is footage from the ending of the previous movie, and I swear they just pointed the camera at a screen that was playing Part 2. It looks extremely soft and there are lens/film artifacts that do not change position at all throughout the lengthy sequence.

As for the movie itself, it's an okay Friday entry. The Higgins Haven property is one of the more iconic in the series, and this is the first movie where Jason wears the iconic hockey mask (a Detroit Red Wings mask). The kills are pretty solid too, my favorite being the spear gun kill, which probably looked great in 3D.

The characters are a mixed bag. Shelly and Vera are both well acted and have some depth; meanwhile the biker gang and stoners (Chill and Chuck) are complete window dressing. The male lead Rick is completely useless and spends most of the moving whining. Main character Christine has a rocky first hour of the movie too, but is pretty solid in the film's climax. Personally I wish Vera was the final girl here.

Plot wise, you don't get a lot of from these movies, but Part 3 still manages to underwhelm. There's a subplot with a biker gang that is pointless, and another subplot in which the character Christine had a run in with Jason between Parts 1 & 2, but "can't remember" the details; it's just bizarre. I also have to point out while all this is going on, characters are throwing baseballs and yo-yos at the screen the entire time to maximize the 3D effects, which isn't helping matters.

Fortunately, after a rocky first hour, the movie really picks up in the final 30 minutes and gives fans exactly what they want. It barely scrapes by at a 6 for me as a result. Despite its flaws, I think it overall Part 3 does its job as a slasher movie.

One final thought to end this ramble: the opening credits do away with the classic black and white logo in favor of some cheesy 3D titles, which are accompanied by a theme that can only be described as "spooky disco". Hilariously, this theme appears once in the movie, during a confrontation between Shelly, Vera, and the biker gang at a liquor store. It does not work well at all.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) - 7/10

Picking up moments after the events at Higgins Haven in Part 3, Jason re-emerges to stalk a group of young adults vacationing in rural Crystal Lake. Meanwhile, a family at the house next door - along with a new friend that has a personal connection to Jason - track down the serial killer.

Definitely one of the best in the series. Whereas Part 3 had a very slow first hour, The Final Chapter grabs the audience's attention early and never lets go. Jason is at his all-time most ruthless, making quick, brutal work of anyone he comes across. Tom Savini returns as make-up effects guru and the gore is ramped back up, rivaling the violence level of the original movie.

This movie also has a strong collection of characters; most notably the first appearance of Tommy Jarvis, played by Corey Feldman. Jimmy, Teddy, and Trish are also memorable.

There are a couple cheesy moments - the Crispin Glover dance scene and the "he's killing me!" death scene - but they add to the campiness of the movie. Mostly it's an extremely solid entry and would've been a perfect ending to the series had it actually been the "final" chapter. Spoiler alert: it was not.
Great comments on the F13 films. I have a soft spot for part 3 because I had the chance to catch a rerun in 3D and it truly was a fun experience, but in the end, the film does have lots of problems. I too would probably rank part 4 as the better one (and of the whole thing).

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Great comments on the F13 films. I have a soft spot for part 3 because I had the chance to catch a rerun in 3D and it truly was a fun experience, but in the end, the film does have lots of problems. I too would probably rank part 4 as the better one (and of the whole thing).

Part 3 is a movie that has warmed on me over time. I didn't care for it so much when I first saw it as a kid, but I appreciate it more now (despite my comments about the visual quality). Would love to check it out in 3D some time.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Part 3 is a movie that has warmed on me over time. I didn't care for it so much when I first saw it as a kid, but I appreciate it more now (despite my comments about the visual quality). Would love to check it out in 3D some time.

I'm pretty sure it's the first horror film I've seen, so I might be a little biased on that too! It's the only movie from the 80s 3D that I had the chance to see. I'd really want a chance to catch the Amityville one too.

Reactions: shadow1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Planet Terror (2007) - 6/10

Survivors of a biochemical outbreak (Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Josh Brolin, Michael Biehn, et al.) battle zombies and the Army. This is one ridiculous, trashy gorefest. I thought that Tarantino's Death Proof was over the top, but Robert Rodriguez' contribution to their "Grindhouse" double bill is even more so. It's darkly funny and extremely gory. Heads and bodies explode all over the place. There's also a one-legged stripper, a restaurant owner who can't stop talking about BBQ while people are being eaten, a doctor who's more upset that his wife cheated on him than with all of the mangled bodies coming into the hospital and a flattering cameo by Tarantino as "Rapist #1," according to the credits. There's even a fake trailer at the start for a Danny Trejo movie and the whole thing has the look of a low-budget 70s exploitation flick. If you didn't like the soft picture and visual artifacts of Friday the 13th Part III, shadow1, you'll hate how this movie looks, hah. It's often distracting, but also gives the film a drive-in feel that adds to the pulpiness, so I learned to sort of appreciate it. I thought that Death Proof was only OK, and Tarantino is considered the superior filmmaker, so I wasn't expecting to like this more. It could've been better, but so could any 'B' movie. It's exactly what it tries to be: trashy, never boring, bloody entertainment.

Southern Comfort (1981) - 5/10

A squad of National Guard soldiers (Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe, Fred Ward, et al.) become hunted by Cajun locals while on a training exercise in the Louisiana swamps. It's like Deliverance, but the prey are soldiers who almost deserve what they get. I can't decide if this film is more unflattering toward backwoods people or the military. It felt rather strongly like an allegory for Vietnam, even though writer/director Walter Hill seemingly dismissed the notion. These are some of the most disorganized, uncooperative and clumsy soldiers that I've ever seen. They mouth off to one another, violate orders, walk right into poorly concealed traps and are as loud as possible when they move and talk. If there's a way to make themselves targets and get killed, they find it. Most of them die because of their own stupidity. It was almost amusing, to the point that it was a little hard for me to take the film seriously. I kept thinking of Tucker and Dale vs Evil in how the trespassers are more of a danger to themselves than the locals are. It hurt the suspense for me, and this is a movie that's mostly suspense. It also has an ending that was confusing and unsatisfying. That said, it's pretty well paced and watchable enough, and the fact that most of it was filmed in real swamps in a foot of water was impressive. It appears to be a well regarded film, but it just didn't quite work for me.

Last edited:

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I saw Scream (2022) last night.

It was okay.. I wish these horror franchises would scrap the idea of needing to bring back old characters into it.

Even the new Texas Chainsaw movie did it. Like noo

Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - 6/10

While trying to create a peacekeeping program to counteract massive threats like the chitarui, The Avengers unwittingly create the murderous robot Ultron.

I do enjoy Age of Ultron; this was probably my third or fourth time watching it. Objectively though, I feel like this movie is "Exhibit A" for people who don't like super hero movies.

Lots of explosions, fight scenes, special effects; not enough plot. There is a big fight scene in South Korea towards the end of the movie that is literally forgettable; I always forget about it until I watch the movie. Even though significant portions of the city are destroyed, it's of no consequence (it's not even mentioned in Captain America: Civil War).

Huge battles aside, the plot is pretty messy and a lot characters feel paper thin, even though we have a lot of previous character development. Bruce Banner and Hawkeye get a little more depth, but not a ton. There is good character development for Wanda Maximoff in her debut movie, though.

Director Joss Whedon, who did a great job in the original Avengers film, goes too big and bombastic with this entry. Even though this film introduces three heroes and one villain, Whedon apparently fought to shoehorn in another hero - Captain Marvel - at the end of the film. It was close enough to happening that they shot a scene with a stand-in for her character, footage which is available on Youtube. Marvel Studios smartly said no.

On a comics related note, The Age of Ultron comic book, which came out not long before this film, is superb. Unlike this movie, which is sunshine and rainbows by comparison, the graphic novel sees the end of the world. Think post- judgement day in The Terminator series. A small group of hero are still alive, but are forced underground because Ultron has hacked into every system on the planet. It's extremely grim, and if you ask me, Age of Ultron should've been an entire saga; think Infinity War-Endgame level.

Even with all the complaints I listed, it's not like the movie isn't enjoyable. At worst, it's fun popcorn entertainment. It's just that the expectation is so high because it's an Avengers movie.

Fortunately, Age of Ultron was a rare misstep for Marvel around that time. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, a great espionage film, had just come out; Ant-Man, a quirky heist movie, directly preceded this movie. Age of Ultron can best be described as a "superhero" movie, which is its problem.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The Gray Man

I'm kind of torn - either a 9/10 or 8/10. Not a perfect best-ever action movie but I still thought it was good to very good. I really like Gosling and he delivers. From good hand-to-hand combat scenes to crazy city-block destroying gun-battle/car/bus/train destruction scenes. Some touching moments. Intriguing characters acted by Billy Bob Thornton, Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling. Not as good as John Wick, but in that next tier I'd say.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Elevator to the Gallows / Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Louis Malle, 1958)

A businessman (Maurice Ronet) with ties to the French Legion is sleeping with his boss’ wife (Jeanne Moreau) and comes up with a clever way to kill his boss. However, on the way out he leaves behind a big clue and returns to the scene of the crime only to get stuck in the elevator. So, sets off a series of wild events, murders, and police investigations. Elevator to the Gallows is a cool film, probably not officially considered a French New Wave film since the movement was only in its infancy at the time, but it definitely has the energy of the movement. Paired with the influence of American noir films, this is a dark and stylistic film and amazing that it was directed when Malle was 24. Don’t ask me what I was doing when I was 24, but it certainly wasn’t directing a minor masterpiece. Both Ronet and Moreau put in very subtle performances within the shifty screenplay that jumps from various storylines involved in the disastrous landslide of events. Also did I mention that Miles Davis composed the music for the film? Not sure how the young director pulled that off (likely a ton of begging) but it sure is cool and fits the film like a glove.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Hit The Road (2021) - 7/10

Always in admiration of 90 minute films that do it well and especially road films that don't feel the need to drag on past 90 mins. Still relies a bit too heavily on emotional music scenes for its short runtime. The complete lack of background with the story and really a lack of closure leaves it feeling a bit unsatisfying like it's missing a beginning and end but the other ingredients are all there....good acting, good family dynamic, funny kid, good scenery, etc.

Now to watch some proper probably 9/10 cinema, I downloaded The Gray Man.

Reactions: Chili and OzzyFan

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A Doug Kenney trilogy. Inspired by a recent reading of a behind the scenes book about Caddyshack.

A comedy legend, Kenney was one of the co-founders of the National Lampoon magazine, which not only set the tone of comedy for decades to come, but also begat a murder's row of talent either directly or indirectly including much of the original SNL cast and writing team. Beyond that he was co-writer of a pair of stone-cold comedy classics ... Animal House and Caddyshack.

What more is to be said about these two movies? Both still work for the most part to me even after seeing them countless times. My only real note of interest regarding Animal House is that I've never really found Belushi to be that funny. He's not unfunny, but his mugging tazmanian devil schtick doesn't register with me quite as high as it does with the general fans of the film. I think other elements of the movie are much funnier. Tim Matheson's Otter (among others) is a much funnier character to me and villains are top notch. The climax is among the gold standards for comedic chaos. (If you didn't know Kenney actually plays the Delta who takes over the marching band and leads them down an alley -- one of the best, absurd gags in the movie)

Caddyshack still works in full for me. It's sloppy and borderline incoherent but none of that really matters. The book explains all the issues pretty clearly. Funny stuff. What I always find fascinating with this movie is how your appreciation for different characters evolves over time — particularly if you first watched it when you were you. This isn't an original thought to me. I can't remember the source but I think it sums things up nicely. When you're young Bill Murray and the Gopher are the funniest things ever. Then you gradually shift to Rodney Dangerfield. Then to Chevy Chase and finally, the ultimate enlightenment, is how hilarious Ted Knight is. Some god tier comedic villainy there. I'd add special mention for Spaulding Smails too. The actor never acted again, but kills every single moment he's in the movie whether he's in the foreground or background.

Revisiting these was all in advance of rewatching A Futile and Stupid Gesture, the Netflix biopic about Kenney that came out a few years ago. I watched it the weekend it premiered but remember walking away thinking it was just fine. Sorta forgetable. Revisiting after the book and rewatching his two key movies, I was much more impressed and entertained. It's an incredibly winky and self-aware affair with constant breaking of the fourth wall and jokes embedded in jokes embedded in jokes. I was lukewarm to that on first viewing, but it all worked much better this time. Partially that's due to how many more references and easter eggs I caught. It's a dense film written and made by folks with a clear affinity for Kenney's comedy. There is an "Oh that's Chevy Chase" and "Oh that's Bill Murray," etc. way to enjoy it. (The celebrity portrayals and reenactments are solid), but the emotional core works as well, Will Forte plays Kenney as a workaholic plagued by low self esteem and substance abuse problems. It's a familiar, tragic, biopic arc but one whose absurdity and randomness are the ultimate tribute to its subject.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Ok well, I did this thing where I watch a real movie for a change... Went with the one that was talked about then.

image-w1280.jpg

Scenes From A Marriage (Bergman, Movie version, 1974) – There's quite a few many films by Bergman that I've never seen and that I have no intention of seeing, for some reasons. Others I've watched multiple times, and none that I really disliked (though stuff like Winter Light doesn't speak to me much). This is one of those I've seen a few times (never seen the longer TV version though, maybe some of these comments would need reconsideration if I did). The film itself might appear as subpar for the Bergman crowd. It comes after cinematic feats – pretty much right after Cries and Whispers – and is far away from previous works by the masters (both Bergman and Nykvist). I think this is conscientiously so and has nothing to do with it originally being a TV miniseries. No aesthetic achievement, just a “realistic” autopsy of a marriage, a realism that will serve as a counterpoint to the film's discourse on marriage. The movie retained the episodic TV structure, which emphasizes the idea of these vignettes being “scenes” - they're technically sequences, but I think the significance here lies in their scenic aspect: they are “representations” - both as performance and as image. There's an important critic of marriage in the film that is brought forth by its association to representation, performance and fiction. Marriage is a contract (and shouldn't exceed 5 years says the husband), but in Bergman's film, marriage is - first of all - theater. It comes in subtle reminders, but it's always present: it's all a show. The husband names it quite clearly when exposing his disdain for the relation: it's always been about appearances, how they should act in accordance of the idea of a healthy relationship, how they would look in the eyes of people looking at them and at their relation, always putting on an act, etc. There's quite a few direct allusions to theater throughout the film (I'll come back to those), but it also comes in more clever reflexive manners. The most exhaustive (and interesting) of these occurrences comes when they are put in the spectator chairs for the representation of another couple's meltdown. Their friends drank a little too much and are having some fight at the end of the evening, and it's pure theater – they know how the scene is going to play out (the wife says it's always the same thing, “next will come the insults”), they execute it with drama and showmanship (he recites Abide With Me), and she gets out of stage, framed between two curtains. He then says they'll finish the scene at home, and that the ending is usually not suitable for spectators. As for direct allusions, there's plenty: they met while they were both part of a drama group at school, she later says she really wanted to be an actress, and they often go to the theater, and after the divorce, they reconnect by chance, seeing each other at the theater. At some point they come home after seeing Ibsen's The Doll House, in which a couple divorces after they realize that even though they were together for a long time, they don't understand and respect each other (I guess the TV version doesn't show the representation either, which would make for an interesting mise en abyme). The husband also uses theater to lie to his new lover when the wife tells him about the notebooks (“I'll sit here and you can read to me. Then I'll go home and tell Paula I went to the theater” - not only associating theater to lying, but also linking his wife's reading to a play). The notebook is also a reflexive element that echoes Bergman's own creative process: “In the autobiographical book Images (1995) he also continuously refers to his notebooks in the description of the process of filmmaking.” [The playfulness of Ingmar Bergman - Rossholm, 2018 - p. 28] The film opens on an interview of the couple, making clear right from the start that they are a representation. It then goes on to explain that it is marriage itself that is a representation, and that it cannot sustain this contradiction: being at the same time false, a representation, and true, an honest bond based on true love (the characters long for their truth throughout the film). It's a brilliant film, but I think it's been outdone by some of its offspring: Baumbach's Marriage Story, or Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives (among others, it's probably the Bergman film that had the most influence on Woody Allen, starting with Anny Hall), films that manage to add emotional impact to their intellectualization of the couple. 8.5/10

Also had to watch crap, because I can't fall asleep on a Bergman (I guess that's a little ironic).

Invaders-From-Mars-5.jpg

Invaders From Mars (Hooper, 1986) – This film proves two things that didn't need to be proven: 1) Hooper was a terrible director and his first Texas film was lightning in a bottle and 2) Spielberg directed Poltergeist. The film itself is very ambitious, it aims at being a remake, an homage, it's tongue-in-cheek without being comedy, and it's voluntarily cheesy but tries to remain respectful of the material. It's close to The Stuff, or TerrorVision, without being a comedy, and without being overly self-consciously campy. The result is, if not efficient, pretty unique. If you aren't familiar with the tone of some of the 50s sci-fi films it pastiches, you'll think it's very clumsy, and you'll think the sets and creatures are ridiculous (the way to “behind the hill” is a very nice allusion to the sets of the original Invaders From Mars). Problem is, in my opinion, that if you're not familiar with the 50s films, you might just end up thinking they were all a pile of fuming shit, because that's pretty much what Hooper's film make them feel like. Its an homage that is a way lesser film than the many films it alludes to. Burton did a similar essay with Mars Attacks!, with much better results. Luckily, it was all just a dream. 3/10 (for effort)

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ok well, I did this thing where I watch a real movie for a change... Went with the one that was talked about then.

image-w1280.jpg

Scenes From A Marriage (Bergman, Movie version, 1974) – There's quite a few many films by Bergman that I've never seen and that I have no intention of seeing, for some reasons. Others I've watched multiple times, and none that I really disliked (though stuff like Winter Light doesn't speak to me much). This is one of those I've seen a few times (never seen the longer TV version though, maybe some of these comments would need reconsideration if I did). The film itself might appear as subpar for the Bergman crowd. It comes after cinematic feats – pretty much right after Cries and Whispers – and is far away from previous works by the masters (both Bergman and Nykvist). I think this is conscientiously so and has nothing to do with it originally being a TV miniseries. No aesthetic achievement, just a “realistic” autopsy of a marriage, a realism that will serve as a counterpoint to the film's discourse on marriage. The movie retained the episodic TV structure, which emphasizes the idea of these vignettes being “scenes” - they're technically sequences, but I think the significance here lies in their scenic aspect: they are “representations” - both as performance and as image. There's an important critic of marriage in the film that is brought forth by its association to representation, performance and fiction. Marriage is a contract (and shouldn't exceed 5 years says the husband), but in Bergman's film, marriage is - first of all - theater. It comes in subtle reminders, but it's always present: it's all a show. The husband names it quite clearly when exposing his disdain for the relation: it's always been about appearances, how they should act in accordance of the idea of a healthy relationship, how they would look in the eyes of people looking at them and at their relation, always putting on an act, etc. There's quite a few direct allusions to theater throughout the film (I'll come back to those), but it also comes in more clever reflexive manners. The most exhaustive (and interesting) of these occurrences comes when they are put in the spectator chairs for the representation of another couple's meltdown. Their friends drank a little too much and are having some fight at the end of the evening, and it's pure theater – they know how the scene is going to play out (the wife says it's always the same thing, “next will come the insults”), they execute it with drama and showmanship (he recites Abide With Me), and she gets out of stage, framed between two curtains. He then says they'll finish the scene at home, and that the ending is usually not suitable for spectators. As for direct allusions, there's plenty: they met while they were both part of a drama group at school, she later says she really wanted to be an actress, and they often go to the theater, and after the divorce, they reconnect by chance, seeing each other at the theater. At some point they come home after seeing Ibsen's The Doll House, in which a couple divorces after they realize that even though they were together for a long time, they don't understand and respect each other (I guess the TV version doesn't show the representation either, which would make for an interesting mise en abyme). The husband also uses theater to lie to his new lover when the wife tells him about the notebooks (“I'll sit here and you can read to me. Then I'll go home and tell Paula I went to the theater” - not only associating theater to lying, but also linking his wife's reading to a play). The notebook is also a reflexive element that echoes Bergman's own creative process: “In the autobiographical book Images (1995) he also continuously refers to his notebooks in the description of the process of filmmaking.” [The playfulness of Ingmar Bergman - Rossholm, 2018 - p. 28] The film opens on an interview of the couple, making clear right from the start that they are a representation. It then goes on to explain that it is marriage itself that is a representation, and that it cannot sustain this contradiction: being at the same time false, a representation, and true, an honest bond based on true love (the characters long for their truth throughout the film). It's a brilliant film, but I think it's been outdone by some of its offspring: Baumbach's Marriage Story, or Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives (among others, it's probably the Bergman film that had the most influence on Woody Allen, starting with Anny Hall), films that manage to add emotional impact to their intellectualization of the couple. 8.5/10
That marriage as performance insight is a dandy. More reviews of "real" movies, please.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sing 2 (2021) - 7/10

A rag tag group of animal thespians (koala, gorilla, pig, etc.) try to open a show in Vegas-equivalent Red Shore City, but to do so are forced to work with a maniacal producer.

I've never seen the original Sing and it wasn't my choice to watch this movie, but I'm glad I did. It's a solid movie with a A-List cast, and really outstanding animation. It was a fun popcorn flick to start my Friday night doubleheader with the next piece of trash I watched...
So I've been in the hospital with my sick kid for like 6 days and saw this movie about 8 times. I'm going to give a counter-review.

Sing 2

Calling this a film is giving it a lot of credit that isn't exactly earned. There is barely a plot here - it's more of a jukebox musical with some thin narrative between covers. There aren't really any laughs to be had here, but I don't think they're really going for any so that's fine. It's just... so thin. Also there are two U2 songs and I'm not crazy about U2 but that's fine.

I think it's watchable for adults just because at least the music is recognizable and not kids songs, but as a narrative there just isn't one. I'm trying to use this as a way to trick my 4 year old into liking Prince, so if that works, my rating will change upward.

3/10

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
So I've been in the hospital with my sick kid for like 6 days and saw this movie about 8 times. I'm going to give a counter-review.

Sing 2

Calling this a film is giving it a lot of credit that isn't exactly earned. There is barely a plot here - it's more of a jukebox musical with some thin narrative between covers. There aren't really any laughs to be had here, but I don't think they're really going for any so that's fine. It's just... so thin. Also there are two U2 songs and I'm not crazy about U2 but that's fine.

I think it's watchable for adults just because at least the music is recognizable and not kids songs, but as a narrative there just isn't one. I'm trying to use this as a way to trick my 4 year old into liking Prince, so if that works, my rating will change upward.

3/10
Sorry about the kid, hope everything's gonna be fine.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985) - 6/10

Five years after the events of The Final Chapter, following a brutal act of violence, a group of trouble teens at Pinehurst Youth Development Center are stalked by an unknown killer.

A New Beginning is the "Halloween III" of the franchise, in that both movies have been unfairly maligned largely because neither movie features the main killer of the series. The movie does have issues (I'll get to those later), but not to the extent this film's reputation would lead you to believe.

For whatever reason, I feel I've seen this movie more than any of the others. It was one of the few I owned on physical media, and seemed to be on AMC a lot back in the day. I think it's a decent little slasher. The kills are pretty good, the ending is solid, and the characters are decent; my favorites are Demon and Reggie the Reckless.

That's not to say there aren't problems though. Most of the films in the series take place over one day, but this one takes place over a handful of days. The result is that much of the movie sees the killer picking off random people we just met, before making their way to the Development Center at the very end of the movie. In that sense, some scenes feels like filler.

One additional note on the characters: I want to point out that like half the teens at Pinehurst have absolutely nothing wrong with them. Some characters are clearly troubled, while others are just random attractive teenagers. Nearby neighbors Ethel and Junior's are so over the top that they feel like they belong in a different movie.

The mystery is handled better than the original movie, but that's not saying much. A New Beginning does give us a decent red herring, but that's only after they beat us over the head with who the killer is early in the film. Even though the original did a terrible job setting up the mystery, it was still shocking that the killer was an older woman.

As for the killer, I love the physical appearance, but their motivation is as full of holes as their victims. Yes, Roy Burns son Joey was brutally killed and he, a paramedic, had to collect the body. However, earlier in the film it was established that Joey had no known family. In other words, Roy just left his son to rot in this halfway house, not knowing of his dad's existence, even though he worked nearby? And somehow no one this incredibly small town knew Joey was his son, yet seeing him dead was enough to send Roy on a crazy murder spree? The logic blows my mind.

Regardless of me thinking it's a decent entry, it's unquestionably the most irrelevant entry thus far. The events in this movie don't matter much in the overall canon, and the follow up film completely ignores the cliffhanger ending.

Sing 2

3/10

Hope all is well.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Five years after the events of The Final Chapter, following a brutal act of violence, a group of trouble teens at Pinehurst Youth Development Center are stalked by an unknown killer.

A New Beginning is the "Halloween III" of the franchise, in that both movies have been unfairly maligned largely because neither movie features the main killer of the series. The movie does have issues (I'll get to those later), but not to the extent this film's reputation would lead you to believe.

For whatever reason, I feel I've seen this movie more than any of the others. It was one of the few I owned on physical media, and seemed to be on AMC a lot back in the day. I think it's a decent little slasher. The kills are pretty good, the ending is solid, and the characters are decent; my favorites are Demon and Reggie the Reckless.

That's not to say there aren't problems though. Most of the films in the series take place over one day, but this one takes place over a handful of days. The result is that much of the movie sees the killer picking off random people we just met, before making their way to the Development Center at the very end of the movie. In that sense, some scenes feels like filler.

One additional note on the characters: I want to point out that like half the teens at Pinehurst have absolutely nothing wrong with them. Some characters are clearly troubled, while others are just random attractive teenagers. Nearby neighbors Ethel and Junior's are so over the top that they feel like they belong in a different movie.

The mystery is handled better than the original movie, but that's not saying much. A New Beginning does give us a decent red herring, but that's only after they beat us over the head with who the killer is early in the film. Even though the original did a terrible job setting up the mystery, it was still shocking that the killer was an older woman.

As for the killer, I love the physical appearance, but their motivation is as full of holes as their victims. Yes, Roy Burns son Joey was brutally killed and he, a paramedic, had to collect the body. However, earlier in the film it was established that Joey had no known family. In other words, Roy just left his son to rot in this halfway house, not knowing of his dad's existence, even though he worked nearby? And somehow no one this incredibly small town knew Joey was his son, yet seeing him dead was enough to send Roy on a crazy murder spree? The logic blows my mind.

Regardless of me thinking it's a decent entry, it's unquestionably the most irrelevant entry thus far. The events in this movie don't matter much in the overall canon, and the follow up film completely ignores the cliffhanger ending.

Hope all is well.

As I think the first 4 films only get better from one to the other (something that is just never the case in film franchises), the fifth one was a real disappointment to me. Not only on plot and suspense, it also feels a lot less brutal than the previous ones, but that might be because of some of the lesser material (the neighbors being the main problem for sure).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

A New Beginning is not good (I hate it honestly but because I am fan of series, I still watch it from time to time when it comes on)

The director being a porn director ends up showing thru in material and it has some of the worst characters (As hard as that is to believe) in the series

And the stupid f***ing Roy crap was dumb and obvious from moment he came onto screen and was just awful

Also, the movie has been out for 37 years, you don't really need to put in spoiler tags IMO

There is a reason so many fans enjoy Jason Lives not only does it not take itself seriously, but it brought back Jason and gave fans a much better Tommy Jarvis as his character in A New Beginning was not very good or even necessary in it. And Sheppard acting was well mediocre

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
A New Beginning is not good (I hate it honestly but because I am fan of series, I still watch it from time to time when it comes on)

The director being a porn director ends up showing thru in material and it has some of the worst characters (As hard as that is to believe) in the series

And the stupid f***ing Roy crap was dumb and obvious from moment he came onto screen and was just awful

Also, the movie has been out for 37 years, you don't really need to put in spoiler tags IMO

There is a reason so many fans enjoy Jason Lives not only does it not take itself seriously, but it brought back Jason and gave fans a much better Tommy Jarvis as his character in A New Beginning was not very good or even necessary in it. And Sheppard acting was well mediocre
I have just as much problem with the 6th entry honestly. Not taking itself seriously was not a good idea (and following the 4th film's conclusion, Jarvis makes a lot more sense in 5 than in 6).

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
X-Ti-West-Scene-1000x563.jpeg

X (2022) Directed by Ti West 6A

An interesting mix of grindhouse, porn and slasher flick, X is the kind of movie that Quentin Tarentino probably teethed on in his early teens. A crew of six, three women, three men, rent a remote cabin in the Texas outback for the purpose of shooting a porn movie. Everything goes just fine for awhile, but then the old coot owners who live in the nearby house, begin to not take kindly to their visitors from the city. Yes, this ends badly; yes, there is much gore. But what I didn't expect was the smarts this film has. Except for a couple of good jump scares. X is not really scary. However, it makes up for that by being clever and throwing a lot of curve balls into its genre revisionism. For instance, it is interesting how the movie begins with the conventional approach to male gaze but finds a hilarious way to subvert it later in the movie. Likewise there is a romantic interlude like no other in horror movies. Quite often the movie's twists and turns lead to unexpected surprises, not to mention to some wonderful touches of humour. I don't want to oversell this flick, but if you enjoy the genre(s), X is well worth a look.

Prime Video
Probably my favorite movie of the year so far. Perfect combination of weird, horror, and silly entertainment.

Reactions: OzzyFan

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Gray Man (2022) - 7/10

Not bad tbh, gotta admire the solid usage of drone cameras advancing modern action film-making. Very flawed in terms of relying on some action tropes and the characters themselves but Ryan Gosling is pretty entertaining to watch destroy stuff, not much more to add than that. We really gotta slow down on this amount of films doing bus/train fights though. This one was mostly gun violence rather than the close-contact fights from Nobody or Shang-Chi.

Reactions: OzzyFan

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
A real film...

images-w1280.jpg

Paris, Texas (Wenders, 1984) – This film does a lot of things right, even brilliantly, but they're all difficult to piece together into a global meaning or intention. Travis – the main character, the faux-amnesic quasi-mute wanderer – tells a few times a story about his dad who'd tell people his wife was from Paris, and then he'd pause for effect. That's pretty much the whole film: that story, the film's title, underlining that things are not what they appear to be (and it's pretty much how I feel about this film too: Paris is an empty lot on a photograph, it's neither exactly an origin – the story about being conceived there is most likely another fantasy from his father – nor exactly a destination, as nobody will ever get there / it's clearly a great and important idea, a metaphor or a symbol, something whirring with signifiance, but it just remains on the edge of undecipherableness, you feel you can read it, but you can't). Contrarily to that lot, the film is all but empty, it is filled with that type of ideas, quasi-metaphors or emblems. Here's a quasi-reading of some of them... The American man, Travis, starts up in the desert in wide empty spaces. He wears a baseball cap, has no memory of who he is and walks towards Paris – the only thing he seems to remember is that he comes from that place and longs to go back (this is all coming from an European director). He has no apparent language, and won't speak for a while – not until he gets to more urban settings, more clustered places – places where they make the billboards. He slowly evolves into a more normal being: found language, and finds his memories too, through film (he is a real asshole too, but I don't think it's part of the allegory). He then will take his son – who he has never cared for – on a road trip to his own origins. It's a mirrored journey back to Texas, but they sadly don't make it to the desert (I don't think the son's language was meant to be disappearing with that last scene with the mother, but that might have been a nice touch). The American woman (played by an European actress) is captive of fake tiny common places where she is objectified, bound to please the men who come to her, and where she can only look at herself. Now there's clearly a portrait of America in there, not a very flattering one, and the attentive spectator is constantly reading something in that tale. In that, the film can be enjoyed for the ride - and it remains a truly beautiful one. The contrast between the opened shots of Travis in Texas, and the confined spaces in which we find Jane, between the bleak moroseness of his world and her faked but astonishing beauty, is a wonder in itself. The mise en scène of the peepshow parlor scenes, their mannerism and the ultimate play with the reflections of the characters being one (again, almost readable) belongs with the grand masterpieces of filmmaking. I think the film achieves the impossible in being both very frustrating and extremely rewarding. 8/10

And crap...

uncharted-film-07.jpg

Uncharted (Fleischer, 2022) – What can be said? It's treasure-hunting-intellectual-ninjas double-crossing each other, with terribly flat humor (too bad, I thought the line “little too old for prom” in the trailer was actually funny, but it didn't make it into the movie). I've never played the game, so I probably missed all of the interesting stuff. 2.5/10

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I definitely agree (as stated) that the killer's motivations are really illogical, but it doesn't ruin the movie for me. I like the look of "Jason" and enjoy a lot of the kills. But I also like Halloween 6, which has the most insane plot ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad