Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I’m in the minority I’m sure, but Tokyo Drift is the only one I go back and rewatch again and again.

Just an enjoyable movie for me… straight fwd plot with likable characters, good action and a cool setting.

Doesn’t get into all of the insane heists and way over the top shit.

Always felt TD never got the love it deserved.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, because it actually turned me off the franchise.
:laugh:

I understand your stance though, because that movie followed the theme and is actually about drag racing. There is some purity in that, and I can somewhat respect that, even if I find the movie to be unwatchable.

Now that I think about it, this whole franchise really is an accident. Initially, the people in charge probably just wanted to do a one-off movie about drag racing to capture the young crowd, but when it became a big financial hit, as it made back over 5 times the production cost, the studio quickly churned out a sequel. That was why the cast varied wildly in the first three, as Vin Diesel did not return in the second, and there was even a brand new cast in the third, save for a Vin Diesel cameo at the end to link it to the other movies, and the directors were different too, each with his own vision and idea. As a result, the plot was all over the place, and the connection between the movies was tenuous.

I think I may re-watch the whole franchise, even though I have pretty much hated every one of the ones I have watched. I am actually curious to see when the franchise settled into its current formula, and the exact jump the shark point. At least it will not be boring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, because it actually turned me off the franchise.

I understand your stance though, because that movie actually followed the theme and is actually about drag racing. There is some purity in that, and I can somewhat respect that, even if I find the movie to be unwatchable.

Now that I think about it, this whole franchise really is an accident. Initially, the people in charge probably just wanted to do a one-off movie about drag racing to capture the young crowd, but when it became a big financial hit, as it made back over 5 times the production cost, the studio quickly churned out a sequel. That was why the cast varied wildly in the first three, as Vin Diesel did not return in the second, and it was even a brand new cast in the third, save for a Vin Diesel cameo at the end to link it to the other movies, and the directors were different too, each with his own vision and idea. As a result, the plot was all over the place, and the connection between the movies was tenuous.

I think I may re-watch the whole franchise, even though I have pretty much hated every one of the ones I have watched. I am actually curious to see when the franchise settled into its current formula, and the exact jump the shark point. At least it will not be boring.
I just enjoy a lot about TD…

I love the beginning when he’s back in the states. The whole “white trash, tire iron scene, the drag race through the subdivision, the slow mo crash with the McDonald’s bags and beer cans slowly rolling past him.

Cracks me up every time.

When he goes to Tokyo it’s even more enjoyable.

- DK is a well executed/acted antagonist.
- Han is a very subtle zero cool character
- The scene where Twinkie is waiting for his ride in that vending machine shit and what it looks like is hilarious
- When Sean tries to race DK the first time and turns Han’s car into boneyard material
- The drifting is dope
- Music is the best in the series

Just a fun watch every time.

Reactions: OzzyFan

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The Night House (2021): a psychological horror film that follows a young widow after her husband’s unexpected suicide. Even if I’m not sure I fully got it, I still got more than enough out of it to really enjoy it. A strong, creepy atmosphere, Rebecca Hall, and a killer song all while running well under 2 hours is a winning formula for me.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1250-9fa5562bdad5a48f0c6fde558a0c717c.jpg

After Yang (2021) Directed by Kogonada 6B

In the not too distance future, Jake and Kyra have adopted a young Chinese girl. To help her feel at home, they have purchased Yang, an adult artificial intelligence Chinese brother for her, to help introduce her to the roots of her native culture. The two bond and a crisis occurs in the family when Yang breaks down and cannot be fixed. Jake seeks ways to resuscitate him and in the process learns more about the inner feelings of the machine he had purchased for his daughter.

After Lang is a slow elegiac work that gets one thinking about a lot of things regarding what it means to be human and how heartfelt connections between sentient beings can be. The movie also gently hints at the notion that we biological humans may not be so unique after all--that artificial intelligence creations could end up being more humane than we are in the long run. So After Lang is a lovely little film.

You may sense a "but" coming here and you would be right. Led by Colin Farrell and Jodie Turner-Smith the acting is excellent throughout the movie. But why is everybody so morose and down in the dumps all the time, especially Jake? Why the sad piano music, tasteful in the worst kind of way to the point of intrusiveness? These people are gloomy when we meet them, well before it is certain that their robot can't be fixed. Yes, the marriage seems to be a little on shaky ground, but not to the point of this heavily mournful vibe. In terms of tone, director Kogonada overplays his hand, slightly diminishing his work in the process.

TIFF.net

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)
3.75 out of 4stars

"An aging Chinese immigrant is swept up in an insane adventure, where she alone can save the world by exploring other universes connecting with the lives she could have led."
An endlessly imaginative, conglomeration of genres, tale of existentialism and humanity on a large and intimate scale. Wow, regardless of how much you enjoy or absorb or connect with the movie and it's crazy all over the place delivery and story, far and away one must acknowledge the amazing accomplish of the Daniels here. The mixing of everything here, styles-tones-forms-topics-themes-story layers-absurdities-etc, into a coherent connective smooth product is nothing short of astounding. It's entertaining in so many ways and reasons, on the surface and intellectually. It's funny, it's fun, it's a manageable sensory overlord, it's thoughtful, and it's popcorn-ish joy. One can probably right a vast essay on this movie easily and need multiple viewings to take in everything. At it's most broad definement, it's a sci-fi drama comedy action film about a woman going through a mid-life crisis and at the same time thrown into a multiverse battle for world salvation against her own daughter. Themes explored but not limited to are life, family, virtues, possibility/potential, and time. I know nothing of the Daniels, but if they imagined this and brought this to life without any use of drugs or mind altering substances/techniques, many many applauses to them.
I really liked Everything Everywhere All at Once. At first it seemed like Stephen Chow overload on steroids, but then the movie uses the multiverse concept to explore some very clever ideas and create some very imaginative mayhem. And ultimately all the chaos leads to some interesting ruminations about the people we might have become and about the necessity to look beyond the familiar ruts and vexations in one's own life. Michelle Yeoh's performance is wonderful; I doubt many will top it this year. It's almost a shock to remember that she co-starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with Chow Yun-fat all those years ago, but her performance here has heart, depth and power galore. 8B for me.

Later note: I agree some judicious trimming would have helped make the movie even better, not the ideas, though, but maybe one less fight scene.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Death of Superman Lives. Pretty good for a doc that leans a little more toward cheap fanboy production than a more professional affair. The biggest positive is the access. Nearly everyone involved including big names Jon Peters and Tim Burton (not counting Kevin Smith because he'll talk to anyone) gave the movie a lot of time and insights. No Nic Cage, but there's access to a lot of test footage so he's still present throughout. Could've been shorter. Gets really lost in the weeds on some minor aspects of the various versions of the movie that were never to be. It's a pet peeve of mine that the director shoots himself interviewing everyone rather than being off camera. Adds to the cheap fanboyness of it. There are some HORRIBLE animations and reenactments of scenes from the scripts that underline and circle the cheap fanboyness. All that said, it's an informative enough treatment of the subject. And it's hard to be amused by Jon Peters in all his arrogant glory (especially after seeing Bradley Cooper play him in Licorice Pizza). Biggest bonus: You could tell me Tim Burton is actually Nic Cage in this and I'd believe you.

The Last Temptation of Christ. Martin Scorsese's controversial passion project. I admire the earnestness with which he tackles the topic of Christ's dual nature. How anyone could see this story as anything other than AFFIRMING Christ and the sacrifice is beyond me. There's some power in that (punctuated with a really lovely piece of music by Peter Gabriel over the closing credits). The movie is at its most engaging in the multiple moments of discussion and debate between Jesus and various others (often Judas) about God and love and sacrifice and other heady topics. But still all that a great movie does not make. I understand the choice to just let everyone speak in their normal voices and with a more modern tone and dialogue (as opposed to like making everyone British or something), but it also ultimately doesn't work for me (this is my third viewing over the years). As committed as Harvey Keitel is his unshakeable New Yorkness is a distracting presence. And it's not just him. A lot of the acting is oddly flat. The mix of old and modern extends to the editing and the Gabriel score too. I don't for a second think Scorsese set out to make a "cool" Jesus movie but it definitely plays like a cool/modern/80s Jesus movie. To it's detriment. That whole vibe has aged oddly too. Powerful ideas, but an execution that undermines more than it enhances.

Hard Boiled. If there is a heaven, this is on the DVD shelf. Those oh so comforting 80s/90s buddy cop action sensibilities (though with a much more violent edge than most American counterparts) melded exquisitely with John Woo's Hong Kong flash. An absolute masterpiece of mayhem, especially its closing 40 minutes which are a near non-stop barrage of flying bodies and flying bullets. I feel like The Killer is probably considered Woo's best, but my vote would be for this. Woo's whole bag of tricks is on display here — lots of blood splatter and blood spray. But the touch I love best is how fluid all the movements are -- a motorcycle killer skids on his side and seemlessly twirls up onto his feet firing his endless spray of bullets. Heroic cops dive out of morgue fridges sliding off those tables onto wheeled gurneys firing nonstop. To compare it to something like dance doesn't feel right. They're more like water flowing. Just absolutely riveting stuff.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Everything Everywhere All At Once 8/10

I really loved this movie. I was enamored by the trailers and went in with an expectation of it being kind of a crazy action flick. And... it kind of was, but ultimately was something else? I love the concept and the balls of using big ideas to tell such a small and personal story. Yeoh was amazing. I really loved her husband, and while I've seen some criticism of it, I also really loved her daughter.

It could probably be trimmed *a bit* (last fight scene maybe went a tad long?), but ultimately that is a bit of a nit. It's not a perfect movie, but even though it maybe stays in the doorway a tad long before it leaves, it doesn't rise to the point of being a problem. Definitely recommend this - I feel like this movie should have some pretty broad appeal.

Reactions: kihei and OzzyFan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

I understand your stance though, because that movie followed the theme and is actually about drag racing. There is some purity in that, and I can somewhat respect that, even if I find the movie to be unwatchable.

Now that I think about it, this whole franchise really is an accident. Initially, the people in charge probably just wanted to do a one-off movie about drag racing to capture the young crowd, but when it became a big financial hit, as it made back over 5 times the production cost, the studio quickly churned out a sequel. That was why the cast varied wildly in the first three, as Vin Diesel did not return in the second, and it was even a brand new cast in the third, save for a Vin Diesel cameo at the end to link it to the other movies, and the directors were different too, each with his own vision and idea. As a result, the plot was all over the place, and the connection between the movies was tenuous.

The first 4 movies are all street racing/street crime based car movies and varying levels of good to great. IMO the 1st is still the best (call it nostalgia goggles).

They jumped to the unrealistic shark jump heist movies in Fast 5 and have gotten progressively worse since then. The true "shark jump" moment is probably the end of 6 with the now infamous "infinite runway"

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I don't often do movie reviews but had to share...

How it Ends 2018 - Please don't watch this movie. It may be one of the worst movies I've ever seen without it intending to be bad. It's so bad that I almost feel the need to rewatch it and look for clues that I missed something, or that it was intended to be a comedy.

5/10 on IMDB - How?!?!?!
17% on Rotten Tomatos

0% in my heart.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I really liked Everything Everywhere All at Once. At first it seemed like Stephen Chow overload on steroids, but then the movie uses the multiverse concept to explore some very clever ideas and create some very imaginative mayhem. And ultimately all the chaos leads to some interesting ruminations about the people we might have become and about the necessity to look beyond the familiar ruts and vexations in one's own life. Michelle Yeoh's performance is wonderful; I doubt many will top it this year. It's almost a shock to remember that she co-starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with Chow Yun-fat all those years ago, but her performance here has heart, depth and power galore. 8B for me.

Later note: I agree some judicious trimming would have helped make the movie even better, not the ideas, though, but maybe one less fight scene.
Definitely. There really is a complexity there even in the story within the story that your average person won't chew deep enough into but is very rewarding if you explore it. I still am blown away with "how" the movie said what it said too. It's a multi-faceted joy ride.

I haven't been keeping that close of track in 2022, does 8B make it tied for your highest rated movie this year or your highest rated movie this year?

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Definitely. There really is a complexity there even in the story within the story that your average person won't chew deep enough into but is very rewarding if you explore it. I still am blown away with "how" the movie said what it said too. It's a multi-faceted joy ride.

I haven't been keeping that close of track in 2022, does 8B make it tied for your highest rated movie this year or your highest rated movie this year?
First 8 of the year.

I tell a lie. I went through my notes and it turns out there is one other 8 for the year, Turning Red.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The first 4 movies are all street racing/street crime based car movies and varying levels of good to great. IMO the 1st is still the best (call it nostalgia goggles).

They jumped to the unrealistic shark jump heist movies in Fast 5 and have gotten progressively worse since then. The true "shark jump" moment is probably the end of 6 with the now infamous "infinite runway"

Ahh thanks. That saved me a lot of time.
:thumbu:

I think "best" is a relative term here, to be frank. The first 4 all had horrible reviews.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I just enjoy a lot about TD…

I love the beginning when he’s back in the states. The whole “white trash, tire iron scene, the drag race through the subdivision, the slow mo crash with the McDonald’s bags and beer cans slowly rolling past him.

Cracks me up every time.

When he goes to Tokyo it’s even more enjoyable.

- DK is a well executed/acted antagonist.
- Han is a very subtle zero cool character
- The scene where Twinkie is waiting for his ride in that vending machine shit and what it looks like is hilarious
- When Sean tries to race DK the first time and turns Han’s car into boneyard material
- The drifting is dope
- Music is the best in the series

Just a fun watch every time.

Yeah, that is fair. I think I was mainly turned off by how aimless the movie was, since the franchise has not figure out its identity yet, so it was Fast & Furious in name only, and how tedious and generic the plot was. The reviews were also horrible too, which I agree with.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I think I have to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once now. I am still reluctant to return to the theatres, so I will just wait for the stream service.

I am surprised by the praise for Yeoh's acting though. I spent my childhood in Hong Kong, so I am very familiar with her work, but I have never been that impressed with her acting abilities, to be honest. She gets the emotions across, but that is about it, and it had been like that even now. That is another reason to check it out.

Reactions: OzzyFan and Osprey

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2400x1600-963884754591.jpg

Nitram (2021) Directed by Justin Kurzel 7A

Nitram
is about young man who killed 35 people at a national park in Tasmania, wounding a couple of dozen others--the worst mass murder in Australian history. There is nothing sensationalist about this movie; in fact, we never see any violence directly perpetrated. Rather Nitram is a cool detached look at how its central character arrived at that particula place on that particular afternoon. The film is not the least sentimental, yet all of the characters have a sympathetic side as well as darker demons with which to contend. Judy Davis, 65 going on 90, is a study in repressed anger--its an incredibly intense performance--but she is no typical bad mom villain figure. She is not evil--she's just has been ground down by life to a nub. Anthony LaPaglia plays Nitram's dad, a good man in deep depression whose dreams have come to nothing. And, most memorably, Essie Davis plays Helen, the rich lonely 50-something woman, an oddball in her own right, who more or less adopts Nitram....until tragedy strikes.

But the movie belongs to Caleb Landry Jones as NItram who provides a prodigious performance. As a child Nitram suffered frequent burns, not because of any cruelty towards him, but because he just liked to play with fire....and didn't stop. He has little self-control and is deeply mentally challenged. But he takes his meds and it helps a little. He manages just barely to socially function, but, as well, he is fully aware of how throroughly and permanently the odds are stacked against him, congnizant of the cage in which he is trapped. While he may appear like a ticking time bomb, he's also one that doesn't necessarily have to go off--in many respects he is not an evil figure either. One of the achievements of the movie is that for all the characters, we understand exactly just how they got to where they eventually end up. Avoiding cliches and stereotypes entirely, Nitram manages to present a uniquely thoughtful perspective on a terrible act of violence.

TIFF.net

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I am surprised by the praise for Yeoh's acting though. I spent my childhood in Hong Kong, so I am very familiar with her work, but I have never been that impressed with her acting abilities, to be honest. She gets the emotions across, but that is about it, and it had been like that even now. That is another reason to check it out.

I'm surprised, as well. I've never been impressed by her and in what I'm most familiar with her, the recent series Star Trek: Discovery over multiple seasons, she was awful, hamming it up like an 80s villain. I'm curious to see if she's really better in this because that would say a lot about her character and dialogue in that (i.e. that it wasn't so much her fault).

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm surprised, as well. I've never been impressed by her and in what I'm most familiar with her, the recent series Star Trek: Discovery over multiple seasons, she was awful, hamming it up like an 80s villain. I'm curious to see if she's really better in this because that would say a lot about her character and dialogue in that (i.e. that it wasn't so much her fault).
I think acting in something like Star Trek (especially nu-Trek) and her Hong Kong movies is a different sort of skillset than what she's doing in EEAAO. IDK - my wife is Asian so a lot of the generational family tension I've experienced second-hand, and as far as that goes, I think she nailed it.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa

I haven't seen it yet but just wanted to add a sidebar that I've been impressed with A24 films, a new, small production company that seems to hit more than it's share out-of-the-park with interesting movies. Just started in 2012, it already has produced, Hereditary, Lady Bird, Moonlight, Uncut Gems, Midsommar, The Room, Ex-Machina, The Florida Project, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, First Cow, Minari, The Tragedy of Macbeth etc.. I can't say this for other new film companies (even Majors), but when I see the label produced by A24 films, it's just enough to pique my interest.

p.s. part of the secret to its success seems attributable to its unique management style that allows more collaboration between writers, technical staff, artists and directors etc., on different projects. Innovative management style (compared to top/down approach by Majors) seems to attract top talent.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think acting in something like Star Trek (especially nu-Trek) and her Hong Kong movies is a different sort of skillset than what she's doing in EEAAO. IDK - my wife is Asian so a lot of the generational family tension I've experienced second-hand, and as far as that goes, I think she nailed it.
Yeah, I hope so. I don't know anything about EEAAO, except that that's a lot of vowels. If she isn't an intimidating, smart-mouth action figure, which is the type of character that I keep seeing her play, I'll welcome that.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Choose Or Die (Meakins, 2022) - It manages to create a few cool atmospheric moments, but it's overall a pretty boring flick. And it's so dumb, it pushes the notion of suspension of disbelief to its further limits. 2/10

American Ninja 2: The Confrontation
(Fistenberg, 1987) - Nothing short of amazing. That's the most fun I've had with a bad film in some time. The sequence where a ninja grapples himself to a pickup truck, and the ultimate solution to get rid of him, are pure movie magic (Creepshow II also came out in 1987, but this could have been inspiration for the hitchhiker sketch). A very well deserved SoBIG 1/10

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I haven't seen it yet but just wanted to add a sidebar that I've been impressed with A24 films, a new, small production company that seems to hit more than it's share out-of-the-park with interesting movies. Just started in 2012, it already has produced, Hereditary, Lady Bird, Moonlight, Uncut Gems, Midsommar, The Room, Ex-Machina, The Florida Project, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, First Cow, Minari, The Tragedy of Macbeth etc.. I can't say this for other new film companies (even Majors), but when I see the label produced by A24 films, it's just enough to pique my interest.

p.s. part of the secret to its success seems attributable to its unique management style that allows more collaboration between writers, technical staff, artists and directors etc., on different projects. Innovative management style (compared to top/down approach by Majors) seems to attract top talent.

Agreed. A24 is by my books the best distributor/production company in America right now

Edit: Neon probably also deserves an honourary mention too

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyFan and Puck

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Choose Or Die (Meakins, 2022) - It manages to create a few cool atmospheric moments, but it's overall a pretty boring flick. And it's so dumb, it pushes the notion of suspension of disbelief to its further limits. 2/10

American Ninja 2: The Confrontation
(Fistenberg, 1987) - Nothing short of amazing. That's the most fun I've had with a bad film in some time. The sequence where a ninja grapples himself to a pickup truck, and the ultimate solution to get rid of him, are pure movie magic (Creepshow II also came out in 1987, but this could have been inspiration for the hitchhiker sketch). A very well deserved SoBIG 1/10

If you haven't seen Ninja III: The Domination yet you should. Everyone should.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just ruminating some more on Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Ke Huy Quan as the husband really was fantastic. So sweet and charming and heartfelt. I remember seeing the trailer for this movie and thinking to myself "that's Shortround from Indiana Jones!"

Really neat little interview the cast here where he talks about how he had retired from acting due to a lack of opportunity. This was was the first role he'd acted in in nearly 20 years.

What a way to come back.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Ace in the Hole (1951)
3.25 out of 4stars

"A frustrated former big-city journalist now stuck working for an Albuquerque newspaper exploits a story about a man trapped in a cave to rekindle his career, but things get complicated as the story broadens."
A great noir about the media industry's alarmingly grimey and cynical side, headed by a strong Kirk Douglas performance. It's truly scary how manipulative and powerful the media can be to the public masses, especially in pre-television/pre-internet days. Their word too often can be taken as gospel, even if the story told and characters involved aren't as they are told to or appear to be. This 'tainted tale' causes feelings, opinions, and physical reactions from their audience rather than being met with sincere skepticism or beyond as it should. This movie piles on that with a journalist controlling everything and everyone important around a serious situation occurring in the middle of nowhere, through manipulation by 'ironic' 'selfish' affection, bribe, threat, forcibly taking, physical abuse, or hospitality. In this situation, not only is the media 'controlling' the public's view on the situation, but they are also intimately involved in the police, rescue, doctor, family, and the right of being sole interviewer departments here. It's almost like playing God. All that said, Douglas isn't the only one taking advantage of the situation at hand, albeit he is the brains and putting things into motion man, nearly everyone but the man locked in the cave is profiting financially, politically, and/or with fame/attention here. The notion of even the public doing and saying anything for self-promotion when a camera or mic is present even shows this theme trickle down to the lowest common denominator. Ironically, there are a number of meta-vibes and commentary here that also fit the film industry, especially on but not limited to biographical pictures. Not to mention, the movie's title is a brilliant literal and metaphorical play on the situation at hand.

He Walked By Night (1948)
2.75 out of 4stars

"Based on real life 1940's Machine Gun Walker in Los Angeles, the police hunt for an evasive intelligent criminal whom killed a cop."
A great police crime noir that feels and is based on facts about the investigation of a notorious criminal in 1940's LA. The highlights of this film are some excellent noir cinematography, the 'behind the scenes' look at police procedure during this time and event, and Basehart's turn as the villain. The noir lighting, especially in the scenes with Basehart, are jump off the screen mood setting at sequences. It was also fun to see the way the police operated and see how developed their forensics teams were at this time. This was a deserved groundbreaking role for Basehart, who oozed the cold calm calculated sociopathic genius that this role asked for. Knowledge, experience, and situational awareness are incredibly powerful tools on both sides of this story. And it's all finished off with a memorable climactic chase scene.

Witchfinder General/The Conqueror Worm (1968)
2.60 out of 4stars

"During the English Civil War in 1645, Matthew Hopkins is appointed Witchfinder General by the Puritans under Cromwell, he is empowered to travel the countryside with his henchmen and collect a fee for each witch he finds guilty or extracts a confession from."
A good historical horror about the darkness of humanity in mid-17th century Britain. Religious extremism backed by government support here is true horror incarnate shown here. Matthew Hopkins was shown as an endlessly powerful and fearless man from having both God and the government on his side with the power of life and death bestowed at his hands. Giving this power of judge, jury, and indirectly executioner to one man led to the horrific deaths of over 100 people in a couple years' time. Manipulation, lies, physical and emotional torture, superstitious testing, and infamous hangings and burnings were all tools Hopkins used to condemn innocent people to pain and murder, which is dually notes from the plethora of cries and screams throughout this movie. An odd form of legal terrorism that was all too present during that time and even trickled over to New England territory.

The Northman (2022)
3.00 out of 4stars

"From visionary director Robert Eggers comes The Northman, an action-filled epic that follows a young Viking prince, in 895 AD, on his quest to avenge his father's murder by his uncle and rescue his mother."
A historical Viking action drama revenge epic full of surprises and storytelling based on the pre-Hamlet Norse tale. First, the trailers make this appear to be a revenge war epic in the vein of say Platoon, that is not this film. Yes, there are sequences of violence and gore, but not at all constant or repetitively. This film is a story unfolding and building as we see our protagonist on his journey for revenge in a calculated undermining fashion. And with Eggers at the helm, it's uses lots of historical accuracy of the time period and traditions involved while being filmed in a spellbinding moody fashion. The audience gets soaked into a bizarre world of Norse religious folklore/tradition as a man tries to fulfill his sole meaning of life as revenge. Notable themes here seem to be toxic masculinity, blind honor, vindication, consuming rage, and arguably love.

Reactions: kihei and Chili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad