Player Discussion Lane Hutson Part 2

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was worried about his size given his flamboyant style of play, dancing around guys and thought he would get lit up when he hit the NHL - but so far that hasn't been the case at all. The way he made Tavares look like a pylon was gorgeous. Took a big (and late) hit from Bwaady Tkschmuck and was fine. So far, Hutson has been pure dynamite.
Someone is going to break their ankles trying to keep up with him.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Suzuki was right when he said he looks like Quinn Hughes. I thought he was exaggerating at first but he's clearly a unique talent. Something happens every time he touches the puck and he's very good at dodging hits. Wouldn't be surprised if he has the most points on the team by the end of the season.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Jury is still out for Mesar and Beck too. I feel like people bust Mesar way too soon.

I admit I'm one of those, for Mesar
I hope I'm dead wrong

As for Beck, I'm hopeful he'll be part of the team at some point
But right now, I don't even know where I'd fit him lol
I don't think he's better than Evans or Newhook (as of now)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I admit I'm one of those, for Mesar
I hope I'm dead wrong

As for Beck, I'm hopeful he'll be part of the team at some point
But right now, I don't even know where I'd fit him lol
I don't think he's better than Evans or Newhook (as of now)
As of now no but Evans will be 29 next season and will likely cost close to 3 millions for about 4 years. Not sure i'd sign that contract personally.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Jul 6, 2016
As of now no but Evans will be 29 next season and will likely cost close to 3 millions for about 4 years. Not sure i'd sign that contract personally.
We all like Ev ans. He is a hard working bottom-six center. But at some point, Habs have to make space for Kapanen, Beck… and Hage in a not too far future.

The hockey world is not prepared for Lane Hutson.
He is indeed a very different type of player - forward or D-man.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's starting as of this year. Maybe I'm overly excited but I'm thinking rationally how does he not get a point every single game? With what he's capable of doing and the state of our defense he's on an island. Maybe a few games he won't get points because 82 games is a marathon and tough grind, but in others he will get 2-3 like yesterday... if he stays healthy he might even be above ppg this year.
It’s entirely possible. Christ he could do it without being on the first PP he’s that good.

Dude looks about as close as you can get to being generational without being generational

Most entertaining player on the team so far this season.
Most entertaining Hab I’ve seen don the uniform since 88-89. Man I don’t even think it’s close.

Reactions: Andrei79

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Generational hater schtick aside,

I've never seen a player on the habs possess the puck more than him. Not even Subban, Markov nor Kovalev.

Kovalev had the puck all the time, but I don't think to the extent of Hutson. His hockey sense is astronomical. Like probably with the likes of Makar, Malkin-Crosby, McDavid, Hughes etc.

Absolute game changer if he can keep that up throughout the season + playoffs to a certain extent.

Edit :

I forgot Demidov is coming next year. Holy shlit, what have we done.

Last edited:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Generational hater schtick aside,

I've never seen a player on the habs possess the puck more than him. Not even Subban, Markov nor Kovalev.

Kovalev had the puck all the time, but I don't think to the extent of Hutson. His hockey sense is astronomical. Like probably with the likes of Makar, Malkin-Crosby, McDavid, Hughes etc.

Absolute game changer if he can keep that up throughout the season + playoffs to a certain extent.
The puck is also safer on his stick than it is on anyone else's. Maybe 10% of the time he does it for too long and panic clears it, where that's 75% of our other defensemen's strategy.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What is nice when Gorton decide to hire Brobov from NY. Gorton took the best scout from his entire group of scout in New York. I mean, I know scouting isnt a perfect science, but certainly there is scout with better flair than other.. brobov seem to be that one.

It's funny because they used a similar strategy in 2024 as the Rangers did in 2017.

Habs were high on Hage and so they moved up to try and have a chance to get him, which they did.

In 2017, the Rangers were sky high on Pettersson. They traded Stepan to get the 7th pick, hoping for a chance to draft him, but came away with Andersson as we all know. I do wonder which scout was that high on Pettersson.

Reactions: Redux91

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Lane Hutson is leading the entire nhl in offensive zone time of possession. Behind him are McDavid, nylander, Jack Hughes and Clayton Keller. That’s the top 5, but he is 30s ahead of second place
That’s insane but not even that surprising.

I swear he looks better as a pro than he did in the ncaa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad