Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
As good as Hutson is now and the hype being real, everyone should temper their expectations a bit. He’s 20 and will be playing his first NHL season. It’s a long, hard season on a mid team and he will be making mistakes and taking steps to be a better player. Doubt he gets the green light to go and do what he can until he settles down his defensive game. So I’d expect him to be a little more reserved while he takes it all in and learns the game. Anything more than 30-35 points would be exceptional for a rookie season IMO.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I'm quite sure, after watching last weekend, that Hutson will be in a Habs uniform to start the NHL season. I think we will see this to start the year:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble

Barron will be feeling the pressure, with Mailloux and Reinbacher expected to be making a case to take that spot on the right side through training camp. It's gonna be fun to watch this play out.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IMG_3093.jpeg

Per Fichaud… no Barron

Reactions: Redux91

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
As good as Hutson is now and the hype being real, everyone should temper their expectations a bit. He’s 20 and will be playing his first NHL season. It’s a long, hard season on a mid team and he will be making mistakes and taking steps to be a better player. Doubt he gets the green light to go and do what he can until he settles down his defensive game. So I’d expect him to be a little more reserved while he takes it all in and learns the game. Anything more than 30-35 points would be exceptional for a rookie season IMO.

Assuming he plays top 4 minutes all season and starts being used on pp1 at some point, then 50 pts is definitely doable.

Guhle scored at a 34-point pace in his rookie season without any pp points.
30 - 35 pts for Hutson is low considering his talent and the talent he will play with.

If we look at what other elite offensive dmen prospects did in their rookie season:
Makar scored at a 72 pts pace
Quinn Hughes scored at a 64 pts pace
Fox scored at a 49 pts pace
Luke Hughes scored 47 pts

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hutson has very limited foot speed. When Matheson steals a puck, no one catches him.
Matheson is one of the best skaters in the league, but I don't think that means Hutson has "very limited foot speed". It's definitely above average, and while it might not make him a Quinn Hughes clone, he should still be a good top 4 dman.

Reactions: Andrei79

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I love that all these TV personalities are churning out D pairings with Guhle playing on the right side, as if it’s a foregone thing that the Habs will once again play their projected #1 LD on his wrong side. This gets to me to no end.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I love that all these TV personalities are churning out D pairings with Guhle playing on the right side, as if it’s a foregone thing that the Habs will once again play their projected #1 LD on his wrong side. This gets to me to no end.
Unfortunately until the Matheson situation is dealt with..
This is what is going to be happening?
And what do you have the D pairs as by chance?

Reactions: Gustave and jaffy27

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Plus if you play Guhle on his natural side then your right side depth becomes:

Savard
Mailloux
Barron
Reinbacher

I don’t know about you but I doubt the habs go into the season with something like:

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - mailloux
Hutson - Barron

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Matheson and Guhle are the only two guys who can consistently go up against the toughest opposition and they aren't ideal either (the pairing as it is). It's all MSL has to work with. Savard would get burned too often. So either they switch it up between the two and put Matheson on the right side.

Until either Rainmaker becomes ready or we trade for a 1st pairing-ish right D, Guhle will probably remain on the right side.

I don't see a problem though, because all that experience Guhle is gaining on his offside will be useful in the future and offer more versatility to the team.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

It's not really about Matheson, but rather having no one on the right side to face the toughest opposition other than Guhle.

Trade Matheson, and unless you get a 1st pairing righty back, you're stuck with the same problem and Guhle is the only solution, for now.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I think it's a very low expectation.
He already as 2 points in 2 games in the NHL.

He won't be use against top opponent most of the time and will be out there when one of the top 2 line and will get load of PP. Will get offensive opportunities because there's not a whole lot of competition for him on this team. All of that will boost his production.

If healthy, I'm expecting 45-50pts

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's not really about Matheson, but rather having no one on the right side to face the toughest opposition other than Guhle.

Trade Matheson, and unless you get a 1st pairing righty back, you're stuck with the same problem and Guhle is the only solution, for now.
Well it is true that trading Matheson to replace LD1 with an almost ready Guhle does not fix the problem for us 'this year' at RD1 unless you get one back in the trade as you said

But it is about Matheson if they extend him in any way blocking the LD side for Guhle, Hutson, xhekaj

I love Hutson but I'm pretty skeptical he can become the LD1

For this year we can handle Guhle at RD1 one more season
But the next season after that Mailloux and Reinbacher are on the team for sure one would think, but as RD2 and RD3 most likely

So again the problem is, for the next 2 years outside of Guhle

Who is RD1?

Reactions: HomaridII

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
But it is about Matheson if they extend him in any way blocking the LD side for Guhle, Hutson, xhekaj

I doubt they will do that if both Rainmaker and the Doc pan out.

I love Hutson but I'm pretty skeptical he can become the LD1

Only time will tell, but it's inconsequential to Matheson. We have our 2 future top4 LDs. Matheson will be gone the day someone can replace Kayden on the right side.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It will be that unfortunately. You said what I didn’t want to say; “Dealing with the Matheson situation”. It’s not like he’s an elephant in the room but the writing is on the wall for him; two seasons and he’s gone. We have on the left; Guhle Hutson Xhekaj Struble Engstrom. Matheson’s age doesn’t fit and his profile is still iffy as there are more average seasons than good ones in his repertoire.

It just irks me that I think we will not get the most out of his value. And while we don’t deal with it, we have to handicap Guhle’s development to make sure our right side is even passable.

Guhle - xxxx
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

The missing piece is right there, but we don’t live in a parallel world so it will be Matheson Guhle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad