Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
It will be that unfortunately. You said what I didn’t want to say; “Dealing with the Matheson situation”. It’s not like he’s an elephant in the room but the writing is on the wall for him; two seasons and he’s gone. We have on the left; Guhle Hutson Xhekaj Struble Engstrom. Matheson’s age doesn’t fit and his profile is still iffy as there are more average seasons than good ones in his repertoire.

It just irks me that I think we will not get the most out of his value. And while we don’t deal with it, we have to handicap Guhle’s development to make sure our right side is even passable.

Guhle - xxxx
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

The missing piece is right there, but we don’t live in a parallel world so it will be Matheson Guhle.
That D is pure shit without Matheson in the line up. Guy looks meh on special teams but beyond that I have trouble understanding how little respect he gets. A goon above him at lhd makes little sense to me.

Guhle Matheson Hutson are who I figure could well be in their next playoff push on lhd. And rhd need to pan out big time if a cup ever happens. If Xjekaj is still around by then good for him and I like that type of player. Engstrom might take his spot soon.

Reactions: ZUKI and Gustave

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Matheson is one of the best skaters in the league, but I don't think that means Hutson has "very limited foot speed". It's definitely above average, and while it might not make him a Quinn Hughes clone, he should still be a good top 4 dman.
Hutson has below average straight line speed. Only Savard is as slow on the Habs. Lane was caught from behind on a promising rush TWICE in the prospects games.

The people who caught him may not have Hutson's fantastic IQ or edgework, but they snuffed out his chances anyway.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Hutson has below average straight line speed. Only Savard is as slow on the Hasbs.
Joe Sakic was “below avg straight line speed” whereas Maxim Afinogenov had “elite straight line speed”….

I would only suggest to start embracing USA Hockey foundational principle of elite edgework + hockey IQ (anticipation) trumps all for hockey prowess…the NHL game is incorporating significantly more of East-West concepts with every passing season

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave and Tyson

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
That D is pure shit without Matheson in the line up. Guy looks meh on special teams but beyond that I have trouble understanding how little respect he gets. A goon above him at lhd makes little sense to me.

Guhle Matheson Hutson are who I figure could well be in their next playoff push on lhd. And rhd need to pan out big time if a cup ever happens. If Xjekaj is still around by then good for him and I like that type of player. Engstrom might take his spot soon.
I don’t know if you meant to say that I didn’t respect what he brings. But let me assure you of the contrary; if I thought he wasn’t good, I wouldn’t even bother to mention him. I’d just let him falter and fall into oblivion like Barron might do.

I’m more of a “make sure to capture value when you can” kind of guy. We know he probably won’t stay for a long time. Thus, getting assets for him while his value is very high. We could then use those assets to secure and overpay if needed to get a RD to insulate our younger fellas.

By that point you understand that I do think Guhle Hutson Xhekaj Struble and Engstrom are to my liking on the left side. Some might disagree but to me that’s an excellent combination on left D for the next decade.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It will be that unfortunately. You said what I didn’t want to say; “Dealing with the Matheson situation”. It’s not like he’s an elephant in the room but the writing is on the wall for him; two seasons and he’s gone.
Cheese is Price.

Are we going to say the same when Suzuki is two years from the end of his contract?

How do other clubs work?

How did Detroit deal with "the Lidstrom situation"?

How did Tampa Bay deal with "the Hedman situation"?

How did Vegas deal wth "the Pietrangelo situation"?

How do other teams deal with the disaster of having a 30 year old providing production well in excess of their cap hit? Don't they know that only 25 and unders are allowed to be core players? Don't they know that you are not allowed to compete for a Hockey's Future cup with guys over 29, and therefore you can't do so in the NHL either??

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Cheese is Price.

Are we going to say the same when Suzuki is two years from the end of his contract?

How do other clubs work?

How did Detroit deal with "the Lidstrom situation"?

How did Tampa Bay deal with "the Hedman situation"?

How did Vegas deal wth "the Pietrangelo situation"?

How do other teams deal with the disaster of having a 30 year old providing production well in excess of their cap hit? Don't they know that only 25 and unders are allowed to be core players? Don't they know that you are not allowed to compete for a Hockey's Future cup with guys over 29, and therefore you can't do so in the NHL either??
Is Matheson at that grade of Dman? If he’d be, I’d agree with you that we should keep him. However, I don’t think he is and I’d prefer getting good assets for him.

I have no problem with players in their 30’s, it’s not about that.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Hutson has below average straight line speed. Only Savard is as slow on the Habs. Lane was caught from behind on a promising rush TWICE in the prospects games.

The people who caught him may not have Hutson's fantastic IQ or edgework, but they snuffed out his chances anyway.
Doesn't really bother me that he doesn't have breakaway speed like that. It would be nice but how many times are defensemen going on breakaways anyway?? His offense will mostly come from the point and weaving in the zone.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad