Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who ended up losing a big chunk of his season two years ago.
It's normal to have these worries with the smaller guys.

they collided by accident no? Guys like Caufield and Hutson rarely get smoked for a reason, but it's hockey so no one will make it throughout their career without injuries, big hits, they are going to get hit as will everyone that plays hockey no matter what size you are. But because they have been so small likely their entire careers, unlike say guys like Poehling who would keep skating with their head down, they know to keep their head up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
they collided by accident no? Guys like Caufield and Hutson rarely get smoked for a reason, but it's hockey so no one will make it throughout their career without injuries, big hits, they are going to get hit as will everyone that plays hockey no matter what size you are. But because they have been so small likely their entire careers, unlike say guys like Poehling who would keep skating with their head down, they know to keep their head up.
Yeah Caufield's injury was on the PP tracking back. His head also got dinged net front a couple of games before that.
Both are super good at remaining elusive but it's always those weird collisions that scare me most.
I still worry about Jake Evans. :laugh:

Reactions: montreal

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Who ended up losing a big chunk of his season two years ago.
It's normal to have these worries with the smaller guys.
I mean we just lost a full season from one of the biggest players on our team.

Everyone can get hurt, but guys who are small have typically learned from a young age to avoid the big hits, whereas guys who never had to worry about it (see: Lindros, Eric) will be more vulnerable at the highest level.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I mean we just lost a full season from one of the biggest players on our team.

Everyone can get hurt, but guys who are small have typically learned from a young age to avoid the big hits, whereas guys who never had to worry about it (see: Lindros, Eric) will be more vulnerable at the highest level.
And what?
It still won't prevent me from worrying about a smaller player's ability to endure the wear and tear of this league over time.
The players are getting bigger and faster every year and the collisions are inevitable.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People said the exact same thing with Caufield,
They are both good at avoiding contact and that's of real comfort. And any player can get smoked no matter what.

However, it will always be a bit more of a worry with those guys. Every player gets hit no matter how good they are at avoiding it. They don't have the same room for error that other players do. One big hit will mess them up more than other players woul be.

But that's hockey... every player has concerns and for those two it will always be size.

Reactions: montreal

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
That statement about lane Hutson for the Calder is coming from inside the habs dressing room.

He was talking about Mitchkov and a player inside the room told him that the guys inside the room think lane Hutson will win the Calder and that he is “the real deal”

If you want to listen to it its from about min 7-11 in the podcast. Very very interesting that Habs players have Lane penciled in for the Calder.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
And what?
It still won't prevent me from worrying about a smaller player's ability to endure the wear and tear of this league over time.
The players are getting bigger and faster every year and the collisions are inevitable.

I think the point is that given the history of smaller players and of Montreal specifically, if you're going to worry about something you have no control over like player's ability to endure the wear and tear, then limiting yourself to smaller players or focusing on them doesn't make sense. Fret about all the players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think the point is that given the history of smaller players and of Montreal specifically, if you're going to worry about something you have no control over like player's ability to endure the wear and tear, then limiting yourself to smaller players or focusing on them doesn't make sense. Fret about all the players.
It’s a legit concern but it’s somewhat mitigated by the fact that they are aware of the weakness and have taken steps to prevent the hits. Is that better than a big guy who skates with his head down? I don’t know but it’s the best you can hope for. Lots of smaller players have had good careers in the NHL.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Just thought I would share my opinions on here also with you Montréal Canadiens fans.

As a Vancouver Canucks fan who’s been watching Lane Hutson develop over the past few seasons, I honestly see a lot of Quinn Hughes' traits in him.

The confidence he shows on the blue line is a rare talent that only a few NHL players possess, with the ability to make significant moves under high-pressure situations across the ice.

The reason I bring this up is that I believe Lane possesses this ability.

I think he needs to focus on how to play defense as a smaller defenseman, because the best defense is maintaining puck possession, dictating the pace, and controlling the play.

Understanding positioning for board battles is also something he’ll learn over time.

From what I’ve seen, based on my eye test as an outsider, I feel he’s going to be a special player in the NHL, and Montreal should be very happy to have him. 👍

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Can't tell me he's not going to be on the opening night roster
Not only that - it’s become almost impossible Hutson doesn’t takeover PP QB responsibilities by US Thanksgiving….at the very latest

With MSL running the PP, Hutson being the QB general and Grillo coming in to establish detailed tactics the PK & 5-on-5 defensive execution will also inevitable improve - I expect Beck will play a huge part in that improvement simply w face off effectiveness.

Vastly improved PP + PK + more offensive output in 1-goal games …

Habs will be in the thick of things for the final wildcard spot..

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad