Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I can't believe it turned out this way that for Lane, of all the NHL teams and coaches he could of ended up playing for in his life

He goes to the ONE place where the Coach is a former NHL Hall of Famer who was told 'you are too small for the NHL' all his life

It is crazy to me this fortunately happened for Lane lol
(I guess Caufield too really)

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Its a bit of an interesting situation , on one hand Lane could certainly learn a few things in Laval and improve his own personal game, on the other hand he is exactly the type of player that would help Caufield Suzuki Slaf Laine Dach in the offensive zone , even at his current stage.

You can tell by his character and just his first few games manning the point that this kid is not going to get sent down if he starts with the team. He will mesh way too well with the forward core in my opinion.

Obviously they will decide whats best for him and I'll support it since management seems to look like they know what they are doing

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Based on how he has played since his draft year it is difficult to comprehend how 61 players were picked before him.
The habs were sure he was going to go higher and tried to trade up to get him.

But smoll, below average skating speed for his size in his D0 and his style is unproven at the NHL level.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Its a bit of an interesting situation , on one hand Lane could certainly learn a few things in Laval and improve his own personal game, on the other hand he is exactly the type of player that would help Caufield Suzuki Slaf Laine Dach in the offensive zone , even at his current stage.

You can tell by his character and just his first few games manning the point that this kid is not going to get sent down if he starts with the team. He will mesh way too well with the forward core in my opinion.

Obviously they will decide whats best for him and I'll support it since management seems to look like they know what they are doing
Without question he still has a lot of things he needs to improve on so the big question is whether he can improve and develop those aspects of his game at the NHL level or not. He's going to make mistakes, and sometimes they will be costly, so it's about whether he can keep his confidence up and learn the right lessons. If his mistakes cause him to play defensive hockey where he just tries to keep things simple and doesn't push the offence then he should get sent down, but if he can make those mistakes and learn why in that instance it was the wrong time/gamble to make but still continues to push the offence then the NHL is probably the best place for him.

Yeah I keep hearing about his below average skating but I haven't seen anything that resembles below average...
His straight line speed wasn't very good, especially compared to the prototypical small player who is a speedster. But he's always had great edges and shiftiness in his skating so it's more a question of how you grade skating, is it the top speed, is it the acceleration, is it how much speed you maintain while changing direction, etc...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That's because every game of Hutson is being run through an AI corrective software designed to trick you.

Are we at the point where people realize they are in the matrix yet?

ZYQlb9.gif

A déjà vu is usually a glitch in the matrix. It happens when they change Lane Hutson's quads.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Without question he still has a lot of things he needs to improve on so the big question is whether he can improve and develop those aspects of his game at the NHL level or not. He's going to make mistakes, and sometimes they will be costly, so it's about whether he can keep his confidence up and learn the right lessons. If his mistakes cause him to play defensive hockey where he just tries to keep things simple and doesn't push the offence then he should get sent down, but if he can make those mistakes and learn why in that instance it was the wrong time/gamble to make but still continues to push the offence then the NHL is probably the best place for him.

His straight line speed wasn't very good, especially compared to the prototypical small player who is a speedster. But he's always had great edges and shiftiness in his skating so it's more a question of how you grade skating, is it the top speed, is it the acceleration, is it how much speed you maintain while changing direction, etc...
IMO, edges are the hardest thing to teach. Power/speed/acceleration. A lot of that is strength training. Remember, he had delayed bone growth. Now that he has more or less stopped growing I would expect him to start filling out a bit and the gym will yield better results.

Reactions: Habaddict

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The hype got me. About 2 months ago, I felt he would not start with the Habs. Today, I think he does.

My darkhorse to win the Calder. Probably going to make the top 4 and play with Savard. 20 min a game with Savard and PP time. Pretty sure the Habs try to roll 2 PP units. Going to get a lot of offensive zone faceoffs and time with our 1st two lines.

I feel like the battles for spots on D are like this...

Matheson / Guhle
AAAA / Savard
Xhekaj / BBBB

AAAA:
Battle between Hutson, Struble, Engstrom
* Hutson with the inside track

BBBB: Battle between Mailloux, Barron, Reinbacher
* Not sure how much Reinbacher pushes for a spot but looks like a battle between Mailloux and Barron.

Last edited:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
So excited to see him play. There was a clip of him going around last year where he just smokes Barron and a couple of others in practice. I watched it about 100 times lol. I just can't picture this kid not succeeding, he's too skilled and too smart not too.

It's also very easy to dream considering the numbers he put up in the NCAA, with numbers like makar

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm 95% sure he starts in Laval.

Logan Mailloux has been an AHL all-star last season, is a needed commodity in the pro roster due to him being right-handed, has a more polished game and looked every bit as good as Hutson in his NHL debut.

He's the one I expect to start in the NHL. There's just no path for Hutson to play significant minutes in Montreal as of now.

I just don't think it's a good idea to keep playing Guhle on his off-side.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Logan Mailloux has been an AHL all-star last season, is a needed commodity in the pro roster due to him being right-handed, has a more polished game and looked every bit as good as Hutson in his NHL debut.

He's the one I expect to start in the NHL. There's just no path for Hutson to play significant minutes in Montreal as of now.

Mailloux needs more time in Laval.

Hutson will be where they think he needs to be.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

If he plays the same way he did in his first two games vs Detroit, he'll be on the roster, handedness be damned.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The habs were sure he was going to go higher and tried to trade up to get him.

But smoll, below average skating speed for his size in his D0 and his style is unproven at the NHL level.
Funny but I seem to remember Timmins querying Bergevin about if he wanted to take Hutson just before the pick.
Would he have done that if they had been ready to trade up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad