Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't think he has anything to learn in the ahl really. He's already so poised with the puck, all he needs is to play with a solid veteran.
He's gonna have to start the season in Laval if they really want him to develop there....this kid is gonna have 10 points in his first 15 games if he starts with Montreal , good luck sending him down after that. Ive never felt so sure about the offensive output of a prospect on the canadiens in my life....and he's a dman :laugh:

Reactions: Rapala

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Like everyone else it would be helpful for Hughes & MSL to detail what they mean by “concept” but here’s my take FWIW:

They don’t view style of play on the ice as needing to divide into 3-zones (O, neutral, D) but one zone with best means to play possession hockey is to play a measured chaotic game (Hutson being all over the ice vs station to station), which stresses high IQ (being able to predict where the puck will be vs presently is)

Seems very wish washy but Hutson’s brilliance is not his physical tool set: size, strength / physicality, hard shot, elite speed but his ability to process & predict the play in real time without needing processing time

To start I expect Hutson will double dip PP time as a means of gaining TOI, and I don’t see MSL playing regularly w 7D.

My philosophical soap box BS of the day is now done
IQ is a great thing, but if everyone on the ice is faster than you, you start with a big disadvantage. Guys like Guhle and Matheson can miscalculate now and then and recover with their legs. Hutson can't. He's even slower at age 20 than a declining PK Subban was at age 27-30.

The other issue is that until Hutson develops the skill to defend his own zone, we will be hemmed in a lot, and his moves at the offensive blue line will be 140 feet away from being usable.

Play three D when he’s out at even strength like Vigneault did against the Penguins in the playoffs.
So he's a forward?

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The other issue is that until Hutson develops the skill to defend his own zone, we will be hemmed in a lot, and his moves at the offensive blue line will be 140 feet away from being usable
You’re again looking through the prism of standard 3-zone game which is not Hughes / MSLs …

The more you have and keep the puck the less you need to defend - game planning when Hutson is on the ice will be all about puck ownership for that 45sec - 1min shift

We will see a good example of what the end game is supposed to be, when Hutson starts the Habs first 3-on-3 OT

Reactions: JoelWarlord

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You’re again looking through the prism of standard 3-zone game which is not Hughes / MSLs …

The more you have and keep the puck the less you need to defend - game planning when Hutson is on the ice will be all about puck ownership for that 45sec - 1min shift

We will see a good example of what the end game is supposed to be, when Hutson starts the Habs first 3-on-3 OT
The one in Detroit was not so good. Exactly what I said might happen: slight miscalculation then inability to catch up from behind becomes winning goal against!

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The one in Detroit was not so good. Exactly what I said might happen: slight miscalculation then inability to catch up from behind becomes winning goal against!
You will never teach Hutson defense.. just as Quinn Hughes 5-years into the league hasn’t got it and Paul Coffey couldn’t be taught it over his HOF career but the latter two succeeded as did their teams, because they adapted to their styles - net result of their high risk successes outweighed their deficiencies

Disclaimer - I’m not saying Hutson will become a HOF like Coffey or top end like Hughes

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Exactly what follows.

If Hutson is better than them, and i strongly believe he is by quite a margin, it would be terrible asset management to send him down over depth guys who need to prove they belong. The AHL is a double edged sword and might be a potential relationship killer with a potential superstar. Especially in the name of giving these guy a bit more value and what ifs. They are depth defenseman and we should not prioritize any shit related to them over Hutson, even if it means losing one to waivers instead of getting another 3rd RD pick.
Managing Hutson the right way will give a lot more benefits than anything we will get out of barron, harris or struble.
Barron has nothing to do with what happens to Lane Hutson.

Will you be saying the same thing if managing Hutson the right way means he starts in Laval with Reinbacher?
Some people are pencilling in Lane Hutson as a top four defender out of the gate. :ha:
That means he has to beat out and play better over all defense than all three of Xhekaj Struble and Harris who all have a leg up on him.
He also has to do it in the first season we have indicated we want to start competing in earnest in this rebuild.

If Hutson makes the team I'm fairly certain the plan will be to exploit his strengths without exposing his weaknesses.
I know some here don't think he has any but they are flat out wrong and he also needs seasoning.
Hutson will either be sheltered or he will play in Laval.
We just can't afford to have two plus minus liabilities in our top four.

Last edited:
Reactions: rahad

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Well I'd say he's looking at it through a pane of glass with a focus on one zone which is the Dzone.
You keep bringing up this positionless and now zoneless hockey which we have not been able to play with any success.
Until this team shows an ability to play at the other end of the rink it's probably a wise choice.
After Suzuki's line have we have had another line showing any ability to keep the puck?
Hopefully Dach helps in that regard but we are still a long way from being good enough to play the game you are describing.
Thinking Hutson can come in and do that on his own is very optimistic.
We are a at least a handful of skilled players away from being able to own the puck.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He's in the middle of the slot in a 3 on 3 overtime in his second game as a pro you wanted him to not shoot? So what he missed and got beat , 99% of players in that position rip it in a meaningless regular season game , was he supposed to curl back and maintain possession when he's in the middle of the slot in a prime scoring area ? Wait until you see Mike Matheson play!!

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
IQ is a great thing, but if everyone on the ice is faster than you, you start with a big disadvantage. Guys like Guhle and Matheson can miscalculate now and then and recover with their legs. Hutson can't. He's even slower at age 20 than a declining PK Subban was at age 27-30.

The other issue is that until Hutson develops the skill to defend his own zone, we will be hemmed in a lot, and his moves at the offensive blue line will be 140 feet away from being usable.

So he's a forward?
Lane’s a rover as per other posts. He was great on the power play in his two NHL games, but he was a liability when the other team had the puck. Considering how weak the habs possession game is the balance is not positive now.

Long term maybe play 7 D and shelter him if he doesn’t adapt. He played big minutes in lower leagues but his D may not work in the big leagues.

Ideally he packs on some muscle, speeds up a bit, and plays competitive defence.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You will never teach Hutson defense.. just as Quinn Hughes 5-years into the league hasn’t got it and Paul Coffey couldn’t be taught it over his HOF career but the latter two succeeded as did their teams, because they adapted to their styles - net result of their high risk successes outweighed their deficiencies

Disclaimer - I’m not saying Hutson will become a HOF like Coffey or top end like Hughes

Quinn Hughes has taken huge steps defensively although he is a much better skater than Hutson. Coffey also played a more restrained game as he aged and was quite good defensively near the end. Coffey played a style by choice where he was simply creating more offence for his team than against, when he could no longer play that way he absolutely tightened up his defensive game.To say that you can't/couldn't teach defence to Hughes and Coffey is just false. Defence is a combination of IQ and effort and any player with high IQ can play defence if they put in the effort. All of Hughes, Coffey and Hutson have IQ for days and much of their defensive prowess simply comes down to the will to actually play defence. Hutson has a huge size disadvantage as well as being slower than most forwards in a straight line. The difference between Hutson and Hughes that helps to balance the skating disparity is that Hutson is a fierce competitor and will go to the dirty areas and fight like a dog for his space.

Hutson is unique both in his strengths and his flaws and it is going to be incredibly interesting to see how everything will unfold for him.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
He's gonna have to start the season in Laval if they really want him to develop there....this kid is gonna have 10 points in his first 15 games if he starts with Montreal , good luck sending him down after that. Ive never felt so sure about the offensive output of a prospect on the canadiens in my life....and he's a dman :laugh:
I mean he's already ppg so far in his nhl career lol

• Haha
Reactions: rahad and overlords

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I don't mind if he gets sent down to start the year, as long as it's a meritocratic decision.

I bet there's a bit of an interesting dynamic this camp in terms of MSL wanting an open competition and potentially some influence from management on starting with the waivers eligible guys.

I don't mean to get worked up about something that hasn't happened yet, but I do feel like they've set themselves up for an delicate scenario if any of Reinbacher, Hutson or Mailloux really impress at camp/preseason.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Cheese is Price. Paul Coffey was the best skating defenceman in history after Bobby Orr.

Quinn Hughes is above average.

Lane Hutson is slower than average. Moreover, his shoulder fakes won't always work against top defenders.

To top it off, he has a popgun of a shot. Without being a threat to shoot like Matheson for example, PK defences can look for his passes and if they pick one off, he's done.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Cheese is Price. Paul Coffey was the best skating defenceman in history after Bobby Orr.

Lane Hutson is slower than average. Moreover, his shoulder fakes won't always work against top defenders.

To top it off, he has a popgun of a shot. Without being a threat to shoot like Matheson for example, PK defences can look for his passes and if they pick one off, he's done.
“Always” of course not even Gretzkys moves didn’t “always “ work, but in this new NHL it will work guaranteed for regular season.

My unknown about Hutson is playoff hockey… which I reserve judgement on, but regular season to me is all but a slam dunk - PP QBing + 3-on-3 OT play, will be THE major driver propelling this upcoming Habs team towards a strong push for a wildcard spot.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.

What Lane lacks in speed he makes up for in edge work. The shoulder fakes will work just like the Subban spinorama did. His popgun of a shot has eyes because he keeps his head up and finds holes.

Don’t underestimate this kids tremendous talent. I don’t think we’ve had anything like this before. He’s been my favourite player to watch… he creates magic out there.

Lane Hutson will continue to do Lane Hutson things.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

? Hughes was excellent defensively last year

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
? Hughes was excellent defensively last year
He continues to cough the puck up when pressured in his zone trying to make very high risk plays, is still weak on puck battles along boards & in front of the net, but his what +39(?) was the result of his strength … driving puck possession offense not defending

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean he's already ppg so far in his nhl career lol

A true evaluation on a D man is looking at both offensive and defensive ability. He will need to adjust to playing against men and D coverage. NHL coaches are going to target him in the D zone bud.

We should not be developing like the Leafs... Just let them run wild producing offense and don't worry about defense. That's not going to turn the player into an effective playoff performer which is the most important thing.

Offensive Ability: Top Notch. Only thing you can nit pick is his shot from the point.

Defensive Ability. Undetermined at the AHL/NHL level. This is usually a process with up/down rollercoaster. Especially for the smaller type D.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Barron has nothing to do with what happens to Lane Hutson.

Will you be saying the same thing if managing Hutson the right way means he starts in Laval with Reinbacher?
Some people are pencilling in Lane Hutson as a top four defender out of the gate. :ha:
That means he has to beat out and play better over all defense than all three of Xhekaj Struble and Harris who all have a leg up on him.
He also has to do it in the first season we have indicated we want to start competing in earnest in this rebuild.

If Hutson makes the team I'm fairly certain the plan will be to exploit his strengths without exposing his weaknesses.
I know some here don't think he has any but they are flat out wrong and he also needs seasoning.
Hutson will either be sheltered or he will play in Laval.
We just can't afford to have two plus minus liabilities in our top four.

Well we are indeed already penciling Hutson as a top 4D but that is kinda what he showed since being drafted. His 2 games from last season is just the cream of his two historical ncaa season.

This is not the type of prospect who start his D+3 in the AHL but rather have an immediate impact.

Of course, nothing is done until its done and we kinda speculate.

The main point is mainly that Hutson should not go in the AHL on the basis of what may happen with Struble or Harris or Barron.

If Hutson have to go to the AHL because he aint ready then be it. But if he is an NHL player, his place is in the NHL even if it means losing Harris to waiver.

Finally, i don't think Hutson will need sheltering. Quite the opposite. We probably want him on the ice as much as possible because he moves the puck like no one else we have. Not implying that he don't have any weakness, implying that we absolutely want to maximise his elite strenght.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
A true evaluation on a D man is looking at both offensive and defensive ability. He will need to adjust to playing against men and D coverage. NHL coaches are going to target him in the D zone bud.

I believe his defensive game is unconventional but also extremely underrated.

He is undersized and can get overpowered, its true.

On the other end, he is extremely efficient at breaking plays, cutting lane, puck retrieving and transition.

Too much focus is on the former and not enough on the latter.

NHL coaches may target him as much as they want. I think Hutson on the ice is a problem for the opposition and not the team icing him. It is what he displayed so far in his careee, constantly, at every level of competition.

JT3

May 27, 2013
I believe his defensive game is unconventional but also extremely underrated.

He is undersized and can get overpowered, its true.

On the other end, he is extremely efficient at breaking plays, cutting lane, puck retrieving and transition.

Too much focus is on the former and not enough on the latter.

NHL coaches may target him as much as they want. I think Hutson on the ice is a problem for the opposition and not the team icing him. It is what he displayed so far in his careee, constantly, at every level of competition.
Agreed, he is a smart defender and already proficient at the aspects you mentioned. I don't think sending him to the AHL (unless he is simply outplayed by other young D) does anything for him. He's already a very smart defender but he will never be able to defend all that well physically, it is what it is.

I don't think Lane is or ever will be a liability but he will probably never be a + defender either, and that's fine because we have other guys for that. What we need to do is put him into a position to succeed and maximize his strengths, and he will shine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad