NFL GDT: Week 1: The Road to Immortality Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As crazy as it might seem at first blush I am not sure which situation is more dire long term: the Browns or the Panthers

I think it’s probably the Panthers still, mostly because they seem to have the new worst owner in the league and that’s can hamstring a team for decades (see the Washington Football team under Snyder). But I don’t think you can overstate just how bad the Watson albatross is.
The Browns at least have players and reasonably good coaches.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
\ But I don’t think you can overstate just how bad the Watson albatross is.
It's a monster dead cap. They pushed $60 mill of cap charges from 2022 and 2023 into future years as they paid him $90 mill but only taken about $30 mill in cap charges.
2024, a $28 mill cap charge, but would be $173 mill in dead money if cut in the next off-season. So, they would be taking $58 mill in cap charges up to 2024, but paid him his annual $46 mill, so $138 mill. Thus, $80 mill pushed into the future where they owe him $92 mill more, which is how we get to $173 mill.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The Dolphins are the greatest offenders. Every time they wear their 70s unis & helmets they shatter the books for merch sales - but the owner refuses to change back from the "modern" dolphin look.

Falcons too - the black uniforms with red helmets are awesome. Team still sucks though.
Yeah, everyone litters social media anytime the Falcons do the throwbacks with the red helmets calling to make it permanent. I believe we can add the Patriots and Seahawks to that list as well.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, everyone litters social media anytime the Falcons do the throwbacks with the red helmets calling to make it permanent. I believe we can add the Patriots and Seahawks to that list as well.
NE - I agree, that the red uniforms are better. I'd probably touch up the logo from the full body to just the head, but think they are probably too into the success they had in blue.

SEA - never liked the prior jerseys they had in the Holmgren era. Was fine with the darker blues under Carroll, but their originals look good (save for the number font).

ATL - I think I like them red helmets and red jerseys, but they've been using black helmets since like year 2 with Deion back in the 90's. So, they likely end up keeping either helmet or jersey in black.

Chargers, took some time to get used to the yellow pants, but, I think they should limit for the road only, and wear white pants at home.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It happens with almost every team.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
For sure. I just wonder what if anything you get out of them as you’re tied to Deshaun. Flip side is maybe they eventually say “f*** it” and just hope Jameis can keep it on the rails and hope a running game and defense carries you. The Panthers are more or less a blank slate, but you can’t have any faith in anyone there to do anything with it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gotta be gut wrenching for the D to see the QB and go, dude come on.... Just move the ball enough to give us a breather. We can handle it if you score under 20, but get a first down or two so that we can rest and go back out and get you the ball back.

Watson, even in Houston, I saw a lot of hero ball. Not as good on schedule. And for top Offensive HC, it drives them nuts if a QB can't operate on schedule. Watson has 2 ACL tears, 2 years of not playing due to suspension and injuries.

Cleveland is screwed. They structured the contract to win now as they pushed so much into the future. $80 mill through the end of 2024 has been pushed into the future..... And that's on top of the $92 mill they still to take on over the next 2 seasons of cash they owe him. I don't think there is a cap solution for the Browns.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For sure. I just wonder what if anything you get out of them as you’re tied to Deshaun. Flip side is maybe they eventually say “f*** it” and just hope Jameis can keep it on the rails and hope a running game and defense carries you. The Panthers are more or less a blank slate, but you can’t have any faith in anyone there to do anything with it.
Last time we saw Jameis play a full season he went for 5000 yards. And 30 INT.

Last time we saw Jameis be a QB1, he went 5-2. Though, Watson went 5-1

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I feel they need to make a quick switch to Winston if they want to salvage the season. We had the very neutered version in New Orleans but it showed how much discipline he had and carried out what were some very dour gameplans given to him. I would like to see him in Black/Gold with Kubiak now.

Watson cannot be salvaged.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I feel they need to make a quick switch to Winston if they want to salvage the season. We had the very neutered version in New Orleans but it showed how much discipline he had and carried out what were some very dour gameplans given to him. I would like to see him in Black/Gold with Kubiak now.

Watson cannot be salvaged.

The defensive players are gonna turn on Watson soon if he repeats this again, they are playing well and they will not be thrown under the bus because he cannot play the QB position.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The defensive players are gonna turn on Watson soon if he repeats this again, they are playing well and they will not be thrown under the bus because he cannot play the QB position.
Players internally likely wanted the team to bring back Flacco and roll with him.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
It's going to be hilarious if Mayfield has a better year than Watson.
I think it’s a near certainty. It’s been 4 years since Watson has consistently shown high level play. He looks lost and/or disinterested. Baker is what he is at this point but he had a solid year in Tampa last year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he more or less does that again. I have a hard time seeing Watson getting to ~4,000 yards and 27/28 TDs, honestly.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I think it’s a near certainty. It’s been 4 years since Watson has consistently shown high level play. He looks lost and/or disinterested. Baker is what he is at this point but he had a solid year in Tampa last year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he more or less does that again. I have a hard time seeing Watson getting to ~4,000 yards and 27/28 TDs, honestly.
Baker has Mike freaking Evans...
He will crush.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Throws like this are why I can't/won't quit Lawrence. Call me an apologist but I believe it's only a matter of time.
Even Thomas changed his angle to the ball from the 3 second mark onwards when you re-watch it. Just expect more consistency out of Trev. Never felt that he's had great weapons in Jax.

Reactions: Avs_19

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Throws like this are why I can't/won't quit Lawrence. Call me an apologist but I believe it's only a matter of time.
I think he's good. Might even be great. Last season he wasn't doing really well until he got like 3 different injuries halfway through the season.

Reactions: Avs_19

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Even Thomas changed his angle to the ball from the 3 second mark onwards when you re-watch it. Just expect more consistency out of Trev. Never felt that he's had great weapons in Jax.
Christian Kirk year in and year out has been his best WR, getting BTJ was great for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad