Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Last year HuGo talked about creating internal competition even if the team is rebuilding and it's exactly that at D with only Matheson, Savard & Guhle sure they'll get to play.

Next training camp the 3 other spots are up for grab and I wouldn't bet against Hutson making the team right away. With the confidence boost from his first 2 games and his work ethic, he'll train hard this summer with that in mind.

A bunch of other D should be training hard this summer because some long-term choices will start to be made next season, not because those players can't develop more but because it's time for the Habs.

Lane was surely promised a lineup spot in order to get him to sign his ELC out of college. He's 20 and college was too easy for him, he doesn't belong in the AHL.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I feel like I'm lost. I hope I'm in the right place. I didn't see a Lane Hutson thread on the first four pages of this forum and that seemed weird to me.

Anyway, I was watching some of his extended highlights and I noticed this play which is the exact same play he made for his assist on Slafkovsky's goal.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Lane was surely promised a lineup spot in order to get him to sign his ELC out of college. He's 20 and college was too easy for him, he doesn't belong in the AHL.
He was surely promised to play his 2 NHL games last year because that knocks a year off his ELC but it's doubtful they would have promised no AHL time for him for this upcoming year.

Anyways I do think it's likely Hutson makes the team (Struble being the guy sent down unless they go with 8 D). If everyone is healthy this is how I see the D on opening night.
Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Hutson - Savard
Harris

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
He was surely promised to play his 2 NHL games last year because that knocks a year off his ELC but it's doubtful they would have promised no AHL time for him for this upcoming year.

Anyways I do think it's likely Hutson makes the team (Struble being the guy sent down unless they go with 8 D). If everyone is healthy this is how I see the D on opening night.
Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Hutson - Savard
Harris

Struble going down to Laval would be hilarious, the defense down there would be so stacked. I think we'll see one d moved out before training camp but barring that, I think your scenario is likeliest to occur.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Superstar in the making for sure. His game against Detroit in Center Bell, he was been close to score goal. I see him putting 10-15 goals per year (maybe more), with a tons of assists (55a ++).

I think his floor is 45-55 pts per year, but high chance to put 70 pts ++ per year.

His defensive game against Detroit impressive me a lot, no comparison possible with Victor Mete at defensive zone. He is very smart player, Hutson will likely to be better than expected in his own zone.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Superstar in the making for sure. His game against Detroit in Center Bell, he was been close to score goal. I see him putting 10-15 goals per year (maybe more), with a tons of assists (55a ++).

I think his floor is 45-55 pts per year, but high chance to put 70 pts ++ per year.

His defensive game against Detroit impressive me a lot, no comparison possible with Victor Mete at defensive zone. He is very smart player, Hutson will likely to be better than expected in his own zone.
As long as Lne can take away time and space he won’t be relied upon to clear the front of the net. Definitely one of the most exciting players we have! Can’t wait to see him on the power play

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Hutson - Savard
Harris

I think Harris is a goner because Struble is certainly the surprise of last year and he can play both sides.

Reactions: schwang26

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think Harris is a goner because Struble is certainly the surprise of last year and he can play both sides.
Last year we used 9 D not even counting Hutson and Mailloux, the year before we used 11 D. The reality of the NHL is that you need D that can be called up from the AHL and play 30-40 games. Struble and Barron are good examples of that. So we aren't going to move on from Harris yet, and he's not going to prevent guys from getting a good amount of NHL games even if they start the year in the AHL.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Last year we used 9 D not even counting Hutson and Mailloux, the year before we used 11 D. The reality of the NHL is that you need D that can be called up from the AHL and play 30-40 games. Struble and Barron are good examples of that. So we aren't going to move on from Harris yet, and he's not going to prevent guys from getting a good amount of NHL games even if they start the year in the AHL.

You can move on from Harris because you have Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL (and now Engstrom)

We already traded Kovacevic and I think Harris is upcoming or someone else on LD

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017

Agree with you about Assists.

However he has to improve his shot if he wants to score 15 goals

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You can move on from Harris because you have Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL (and now Engstrom)

We already traded Kovacevic and I think Harris is upcoming or someone else on LD
We'll get a better idea once training camp rolls around but as of right now my feeling is that the best thing long term for Reinbacher and Mailloux is for them to not only be in the AHL for most of the year but to also not spend it bouncing up and down between the AHL and NHL.

Things can change but right now if we are targeting a time to trade Harris I would be looking at the TDL as being the earliest/most realistic time. Gives us some real evaluation time and should help stagger their integration so we aren't bringing in multiple rookies all at once.

Reactions: rahad

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We'll get a better idea once training camp rolls around but as of right now my feeling is that the best thing long term for Reinbacher and Mailloux is for them to not only be in the AHL for most of the year but to also not spend it bouncing up and down between the AHL and NHL.

Things can change but right now if we are targeting a time to trade Harris I would be looking at the TDL as being the earliest/most realistic time. Gives us some real evaluation time and should help stagger their integration so we aren't bringing in multiple rookies all at once.
I think Struble might be #5, but they will play Barron ahead of him for now.

If Hutson sticks and it's

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj- Barron
Harris - Struble

Engstrom Reinbacher
Trudeau Mailloux

We could potentially have 12 NHL Ds by end of year.

Ultimately it depends what we do with Matheson/Savard, and how well Engstrom/Rein/Mailloux progress whether something is done with Harris.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Struble might be #5, but they will play Barron ahead of him for now.

If Hutson sticks and it's

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj- Barron
Harris - Struble

Engstrom Reinbacher
Trudeau Mailloux

We could potentially have 12 NHL Ds by end of year.

Ultimately it depends what we do with Matheson/Savard, and how well Engstrom/Rein/Mailloux progress whether something is done with Harris.

I think MSL will play whoever plays best to Xhekaj at RD. There will be a rotation and a winner will emerge. And there will be injuries.

But if there aren't too many injuries, it will be a shame for the development of whoever doesn't win the competition and is sitting as the #7 and #8.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think MSL will play whoever plays best to Xhekaj at RD. There will be a rotation and a winner will emerge. And there will be injuries.

But if there aren't too many injuries, it will be a shame for the development of whoever doesn't win the competition and is sitting as the #7 and #8.

Oh the average Ds played on any team is somewhat over 8, so it should be ok.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh the average Ds played on any team is somewhat over 8, so it should be ok.
It's not the end of the world if there are injuries. But if there aren't, it's too long for a young dman to be sitting.

It's ok if you have a guy like Kovacevic as your #8. But a young guy that is still developing isn't ideal for their development.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's not the end of the world if there are injuries. But if there aren't, it's too long for a young dman to be sitting.

It's ok if you have a guy like Kovacevic as your #8. But a young guy that is still developing isn't ideal for their development.

Harris is the new Kovacevic.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Harris is the new Kovacevic.
No he isn't, many here don't like him because he isn't huge and doesn't punch people in the face.

The truth of the matter is, he is better defensively than Xhekaj and Struble and Barron or hell Matheson. Every time he was on a pairing last year it was him babysitting his partner not the other way around.

He's versatile and plays both side and will be a solid NHL D. Now to the topic at hand, Hutson will be fire to watch this year... if he plays full time i doubt we finish last in the division.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
No he isn't, many here don't like him because he isn't huge and doesn't punch people in the face.

The truth of the matter is, he is better defensively than Xhekaj and Struble and Barron or hell Matheson. Every time he was on a pairing last year it was him babysitting his partner not the other way around.

He's versatile and plays both side and will be a solid NHL D. Now to the topic at hand, Hutson will be fire to watch this year... if he plays full time i doubt we finish last in the division.
In Hughes we trust! I like Harris a lot, thought he looked very good. Really curious to see how the D lines are formed now that Hutson is likely to be on the NHL from day 1. Have we finally found our Markov replacement?

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

He's not better defensively than Struble, Struble pretty much passed him in the hierarchy, particularly defensively. In the 2nd half of last year, many nights Struble was playing when they needed an extra and Harris was sitting.

Reactions: MtlSars

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
He's not better defensively than Struble, Struble pretty much passed him in the hierarchy, particularly defensively. In the 2nd half of last year, many nights Struble was playing when they needed an extra and Harris was sitting.
Harris consistently logged more minutes than Struble in March and April. Struble lost a step in the 2nd half of the season after being a really bright spot in the first half. i don't agree with your assessment here, and the stats don't support it either.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.

I think it’s moreso that he doesn’t have any one particular thing he is highly skilled at. Shot, skating, physicality, size, vision, creativity… just … average everywhere. Maybe skating is abit more than average… but nothing that gets you up from your seat.

Lane on the other hand. Puck on his stick… don’t blink.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Harris consistently logged more minutes than Struble in March and April. Struble lost a step in the 2nd half of the season after being a really bright spot in the first half. i don't agree with your assessment here, and the stats don't support it either.
Struble definitely dropped off in the second half. But I've never seen Harris look as good as Struble did at his best. If one goes, I prefer we hang onto Struble.

I suspect Hutson makes the team out of camp and if he does, we're going to need to make those kinds of decisions because Harris would have value for other clubs.

Reactions: SOLR

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Struble definitely dropped off in the second half. But I've never seen Harris look as good as Struble did at his best. If one goes, I prefer we hang onto Struble.

I suspect Hutson makes the team out of camp and if he does, we're going to need to make those kinds of decisions because Harris would have value for other clubs.
same here. just being realistic about Struble's season last year. he still needs to put it together over a full season.

and if Hutson makes the team and Struble sticks around, it'll probably be on his off-side, which is an added challenge for a guy still trying to prove himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00