Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
i mean he just had a crazy freshman year in the NCAA beating records and doing better then some of NHL's best prospects size might become an issue later but today hes the prospect with the highest ceilling in our system
It's great that Hutson has a high IQ, but he'll need to improve on the other things to have a good NHL career. I hope that he does but it's not guaranteed.

If you look at the list of greatest NCAA players you'll find both great NHL players and busts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not that it'll make a world of difference for you but at the Habs camp this summer Lane was measured at 5'9, not 5"10.

Couple that with issues in defensive skating, and Hutson does not look like the sure-fire superstar many are proclaiming.

I, also, have a third reservation. Many of his shake and bake moves that are so successful now will not fly in the NHL.

I don't want to be a Dwight Downer but I think the hype is getting out of hand.

1. If he can't be a dman at the NHL level, I still think he may be a good forward.

2. I would say: " Many of his shake and bake moves that are so successful now will MAY not fly in the NHL." We'll see. They may work. He's good on the halfwall so he may be able to pull them off as a forward too.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
It's great that Hutson has a high IQ, but he'll need to improve on the other things to have a good NHL career. I hope that he does but it's not guaranteed.
oh agree 100% and im sure he knows it also his skating can become better and he definitely needs to add mass but i think ( well hope ) that it will come later i think hes still 2 years away from the NHL but the potentiel is huge thats why we voted him so high but of course he can also bust because of size could be wrong but i think Lane could be a reason why we drafted Reinbacher not the only reason but one of them

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
5’10 is actually the normal height for a man. He still needs to put on some weight which I don’t see being a huge issue. People think Riley Kidney is tiny but he’s not at all he’s super wiry and still growing. I’ve seen and spoke to him at his local golf course just outside of Halifax just a couple weeks after his season ended and then again last month. He’s put on muscle. I wouldn’t say Hutson hasn’t done the same. Tiny is a little extreme for Lane
I meant tiny for a Defenceman. Normally the few guys that excel at his height are at least stalky and wide.

I'll take your word for now though. That's encouraging - should help me sleep better at night

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I think that the hype is probably out of hand ... This fandom just rated Hutson as its number one prospect. He was drafted at #62 for a reason, and for him to be rated as an elite prospect I think that he would need at least one more season of substantial progression.

Luke Hughes and Makar were drafted 4th overall, and Hutson just had as good of a season in his d+1 as those guys had in their d+2. The hype is completely warranted.

If you look at the list of greatest NCAA players you'll find both great NHL players and busts.

The main things Hutson needs to work on are getting stronger and improving his speed/skating ability. Both are some of the easiest things to improve on for a hockey player. Caufield had the same weaknesses and improved them a lot.

You won't find many busts if you look at players that had an awesome NCAA season in their d+1 players.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
I think that the hype is probably out of hand ... This fandom just rated Hutson as its number one prospect. He was drafted at #62 for a reason, and for him to be rated as an elite prospect I think that he would need at least one more season of substantial progression.
You don't need to pick in the first round to have a future star player, Bergeron, Point, Aho, Benn and so on.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You don't need to pick in the first round to have a future star player, Bergeron, Point, Aho, Benn and so on.
Obviously, but stars that came out of round 2+ we're usually late bloomers, because they needed extra work. I'm not saying that Hutson will fail (lol wtf) I'm saying that he has a lot of work to do.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
5’10 is actually the normal height for a man. He still needs to put on some weight which I don’t see being a huge issue. People think Riley Kidney is tiny but he’s not at all he’s super wiry and still growing. I’ve seen and spoke to him at his local golf course just outside of Halifax just a couple weeks after his season ended and then again last month. He’s put on muscle. I wouldn’t say Hutson hasn’t done the same. Tiny is a little extreme for Lane
Caufield is tiny. Hutson’s undersized. :)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not that it'll make a world of difference for you but at the Habs camp this summer Lane was measured at 5'9, not 5"10.

Couple that with issues in defensive skating, and Hutson does not look like the sure-fire superstar many are proclaiming.

I, also, have a third reservation. Many of his shake and bake moves that are so successful now will not fly in the NHL.

I don't want to be a Dwight Downer but I think the hype is getting out of hand.
Let’s see how he does I’m the AHL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Agreed but he's not just small - he's tiny.

For a defence too that's even worse.
When I see him on the ice he doesn’t look prohibitively small in the sense that he can’t have a goood career.

I think it can definitely be a hindrance on his D game. There are work around a but there will be times where it will hurt him. The good thing is I think he got bigger and his lower body strength seems pretty good. He absorbs hits quite well.

Size will always be a factor with D. People can’t say that it won’t. It’s more of a question of how much it will effect his game.

I’m of the opinion that it’s not a big enough deal to ruin the projection of him being a big net positive to the team

Reactions: HabzSauce

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Luke Hughes and Makar were drafted 4th overall, and Hutson just had as good of a season in his d+1 as those guys had in their d+2. The hype is completely warranted.

The main things Hutson needs to work on are getting stronger and improving his speed/skating ability. Both are some of the easiest things to improve on for a hockey player. Caufield had the same weaknesses and improved them a lot.

You won't find many busts if you look at players that had an awesome NCAA season in their d+1 players.
Those two are taller and way better skaters then Hutson and can use that to hide many inefficiencies in their game. You can't really compare them. Quinn Hughes is small but also a better skater so he's out, Hutson and Spurgeon are very different stylistically so that doesn't work.

The only comparable out of the 200-ish Defenseman in the league is Adam Fox. That fact alone should make anyone a little wary about the hype Hutson is getting.

Hutson's problems are somewhat fixable however until that happens I think Calm is the best thing for everyone here.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Those two are taller and way better skaters then Hutson and can use that to hide many inefficiencies in their game. You can't really compare them. Quinn Hughes is small but also a better skater so he's out, Hutson and Spurgeon are very different stylistically so that doesn't work.

The only comparable out of the 200-ish Defenseman in the league is Adam Fox. That fact alone should make anyone a little wary about the hype Hutson is getting.

Hutson's problems are somewhat fixable however until that happens I think Calm is the best thing for everyone here.

Luke Hughes is better than Hutson in certain areas, and Hutson is better than Hughes at other areas.

Hutson doesn't need to have Hughes skating ability to have the same nhl potential because he has other attributes that are better than his (ex: hockey iq).

There aren't many Hutson like player in the nhl, but there also aren't many players that have had as great of a d+1 season as Hutson had.

The exact same thing was said about Caufield, and based on what he's shown in the nhl so far, the hype was not mistaken.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
1690687101384.png

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

First off he is 5'9" and would be the smallest dman in the NHL right now, bringing up the average height of a male is entirely irrelevant. Does that also mean he can play center in the NBA and Sumo wrestle on the side lol.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
First off he is 5'9" and would be the smallest dman in the NHL right now, bringing up the average height of a male is entirely irrelevant. Does that also mean he can play center in the NBA and Sumo wrestle on the side lol.
No because there’s no such thing as a 5’10 center in the NBA unless you’re just trying to troll. Check your facts first though Alex Jones lol. Elite prospects is the most reliable place to check stuff like this. Also he’s still 160Lb but he’s also a child when it comes to maturing as a D man. Your point is valid but people on here seem to be the only ones worried about his size. Surprise surprise

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And Krug is built like a fire hydrant.....what is your point? You can't ignore weight when discussing size, I know you know this so why bother even throwing his name out there?
He rebutted an argument.

As for size, strength… Krug was 22 before becoming an NHLer. Lots of time for Hutson to add muscle.

I think everyone wishes he were taller and strength training is something the team will work on but talent counts for a lot too.

Looking like the steal of the draft right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad