Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Every long thread in any board on the internet is exactly the same. If people don't like, stay out of message boards. That's what message boards are, people rehashing the same arguments endlessly thinking they are saying something brilliant nobody else has said before amongst the 10000 posts on the subject.

I am sure somebody said this too.

It is inevitable when the usual suspects continue to claim that 1 + 1 = 3 which triggers the rational members to correct them but the incorrect group would rather muddy the waters with pseudo nonsense than admit that they are wrong. The real issue is that they just want the answer to be 3 and are not interested in the process......one side is completely wrong which is at the core of this cycle.

In between is where grey area exists and true discussion can take place, as both sides have to be grounded on rational thought and evidence....not tribal dogma. Just like in the real world it is dogmatic, tribal behaviour that is the mother of dissent and the enemy of social discourse.

So......can we just tone down the hyperbole and act like knowledgeable fans that should be representing the greatest hockey franchise/city in the history of the game.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The thing is that the discussion is going in circles. What would be nice would be only to have highlights of each game in this thread and discussion about that specific game. Then beginning middle and end of each season to have a discussion about the player and how he has progressed.

Now the discussion is stalling for all those good prospects and even when opinions are close it seems to divide into two camps : great vs bust :D

Slaf, Mesar and Hutson are in their D+1… let s see how they progress from now on :)

Anyone making a claim that Hutson is guaranteed to be a future star or that he is a lock to be a bust can not be taken seriously.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Easiest place to build more power and speed is NCAA..
But that having been said, Lane Hutson could still allways
wind in HOF. He is a good athlete,,whose understanding
of the game may beyond anyone that ever play it. . I lived
in Edmonton when Gretzky played there. I think that Lane
Hutson may see hockey , easier, faster, and better than Wayne.
I am not saying that can phycily do the thing that WGz could.
All I am saying, is this may be the first NHL player that was
clearly better then Gretzky.

omg we drafted Connor MakarGretzky and I wasn't aware? I'm planning the parade now.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
People need to stop comparing him to Makar and QH because he will never be even close to their skating. He's a left handed replica of Fox with a game based on deception and IQ to use available space. He actually creates more than Fox believe it or not, the kid is everywhere in the Ozone and simply sees everything.

If he learns how to defend against big boys, no doubt he will be a superstar.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
People need to stop comparing him to Makar and QH because he will never be even close to their skating. He's a left handed replica of Fox with a game based on deception and IQ to use available space. He actually creates more than Fox believe it or not, the kid is everywhere in the Ozone and simply sees everything.

I didn't watch Fox in NCAA and I'm not the best at compatibles but earlier this year I went back thru the Fox thread on the main prospect boards and the doubts about him in USNTDP, the excitement about him as a freshman, the arguments he should stay and strengthen, etc. are all following similar paths as Hutson

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I didn't watch Fox in NCAA and I'm not the best at compatibles but earlier this year I went back thru the Fox thread on the main prospect boards and the doubts about him in USNTDP, the excitement about him as a freshman, the arguments he should stay and strengthen, etc. are all following similar paths as Hutson
we all know that Hutson needs to stay in NCAA.
In pro hockey there isn''t enough recovery time
between games, for players to build power and
improve skating. That is not physicaly(sp) a possibility.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So Boston University is playing Vermont in the Quarterfinals of the Hockey East Championships on Saturday. Vermont was the last placed team in the Hockey East Standings, but they upset Maine who was the 6th placed team in the standings.

Reactions: Redux91

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Hopefully he trains like a madman and concentrates on his back skating this summer. He seems like an uber determined kid and much of his back skating issue may very well be related to the fact that he has twigs for legs. It would be so great to see him show up in the fall with significant gains in these areas. I can't imagine the carnage next year if he comes in more explosive, dynamic and stronger on his skates. His mind and hands are unquestionably elite, let's hope the physical side of his development can begin to take off.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
we all know that Hutson needs to stay in NCAA.
In pro hockey there isn''t enough recovery time
between games, for players to build power and
improve skating. That is not physicaly(sp) a possibility.
That's what they say on Elite Prospects about Hutson.
"A fantastic skater with second-gear acceleration. He possesses great vision of the ice and is reliable for a good first pass out of the zone, EPRinkside.com 2021"
So why some are still doubting his skating ? backward skating needs improvement yes, but apart that, he's a great skater.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's what they say on Elite Prospects about Hutson.
"A fantastic skater with second-gear acceleration. He possesses great vision of the ice and is reliable for a good first pass out of the zone, EPRinkside.com 2021"
So why some are still doubting his skating ? backward skating needs improvement yes, but apart that, he's a great skater.

EP rinkside is trash.

Hutson has below average straight line speed, this is blatantly obvious to real scouts unlike the pasty betas who contribute to these useless sites. Do you think his arms are flailing like they do because he can easily keep up with the play?

• Haha
Reactions: MasterD

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
EP rinkside is trash.

Hutson has below average straight line speed, this is blatantly obvious to real scouts unlike the pasty betas who contribute to these useless sites. Do you think his arms are flailing like they do because he can easily keep up with the play?
Skating straight he does looks awkward but not that bad either... What I find crazy is how he use those amplified arm movements to fake opponents. Everything goes in different direction and he's a master adapting to his coverage reaction. I've never seen anything like it, he's shifty like an octopus with both hips, shoulders, legs, arms, head and stick pointing different ways... just to retract where your not. Kid breaks ankles every other shift it's madness.

Reactions: Dick Duff

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Easiest place to build more power and speed is NCAA..
But that having been said, Lane Hutson could still allways
wind in HOF. He is a good athlete,,whose understanding
of the game may beyond anyone that ever play it. . I lived
in Edmonton when Gretzky played there. I think that Lane
Hutson may see hockey , easier, faster, and better than Wayne.
I am not saying that can phycily do the thing that WGz could.
All I am saying, is this may be the first NHL player that was
clearly better then Gretzky.
I'll have some of what you're having. 1/4 a dose should do the trick

Skating straight he does looks awkward but not that bad either... What I find crazy is how he use those amplified arm movements to fake opponents. Everything goes in different direction and he's a master adapting to his coverage reaction. I've never seen anything like it, he's shifty like an octopus with both hips, shoulders, legs, arms, head and stick pointing different ways... just to retract where your not. Kid breaks ankles every other shift it's madness.
WTF did I just read?

I've been a member of this forum for 19 years and this thread keeps delivering the craziest takes I've ever read. Way crazier than the COVID threads even. Take a chill pill bud

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

An smarter and shiftier Fox is definitely his ceiling. That's a pretty good ceiling to have.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
I'll have some of what you're having. 1/4 a dose should do the trick

WTF did I just read?

I've been a member of this forum for 19 years and this thread keeps delivering the craziest takes I've ever read. Way crazier than the COVID threads even. Take a chill pill bud
You read somebody applying an amusing animal analogy and aren't able to appreciate it at all.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anyone making a claim that Hutson is guaranteed to be a future star or that he is a lock to be a bust can not be taken seriously.

Well said. Truth is likely in the middle and it usually is.

An smarter and shiftier Fox is definitely his ceiling. That's a pretty good ceiling to have.

Imagine still having Kulak and no 2nd to draft Hutson. That's the pick we used to get Hutson right?

All I will say is I think he is a grade B+ trending very very well. Rather have that potential in our system than not have it.

I remember fighting inflated hype on Norlinder and saying, he's not better than Harris. Some fans jumped me for saying it. I said, I see the potential but the production is just not there for me to get that excited about and his defensive game is not that good in terms of him falling back on that value in projection. With Hutson, the production is there clearly. It's OK to be happy, just don't go overboard with it. When he turns pro, we will know a lot more. For now, enjoy the show!

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Well said. Truth is likely in the middle and it usually is.

Imagine still having Kulak and no 2nd to draft Hutson. That's the pick we used to get Hutson right?

All I will say is I think he is a grade B+ trending very very well. Rather have that potential in our system than not have it.

I see him as potentially being a major part of the first PP unit with no PK time and sheltered ES minutes, heavily tilted to favour O-zone starts. More heavily sheltered when we are up but used more with our top lines when we are down in the latter half of games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imagine grabbing a Quinn Hughes type of player at 62.

I have no words, seriously! WoW!

Hutson, Roy, Farrell, Dobes. We have done well with the 2nd+ darts in this case. My favorite line... That's what draft power provides. More darts to throw at the board.

Hutson does have Hughes potential. I remember watching Hughes in his draft year at the WJC. 3 assist in 7 games. Was I overly impressed? Not really but I did see his potential. I will admit, I was on the lower side with Hughes in that draft. I liked Dobson and Bouchard more. Even Boqvist. :facepalm:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I see him as potentially being a major part of the first PP unit with no PK time and sheltered ES minutes, heavily tilted to favour O-zone starts. More heavily sheltered when we are up but used more with our top lines when we are down in the latter half of games.

That’s a safe projection based on his play thus far, most likely more in line with his floor.

From what we’ve seen thus far, he could likely step into our PP#1 now and make a huge difference just with his IQ, passing and overall lateral ability to deke out players.

There’s no doubt he needs to bulk up and improve defensive play and backwards skating if he’s going to be a Top-4 D man that can be trusted to play minutes in his own zone.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hutson, Roy, Farrell, Dobes. We have done well with the 2nd+ darts in this case. My favorite line... That's what draft power provides. More darts to throw at the board.

+ RHP, Kidney, Romanov, Harris, Trudeau, Engstrom, etc.

People look at Colorado and see all the high picks they have, but ignore the fact that their drafting after the 1st round has been absolutely horrendous.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad