Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Friendly reminder that Quinn Hughes was getting manhandled every shift and was probably the worst defensive dman in the league in his sophomore year. Elite IQ/skating/skill will always make a player a successful NHLer. Obviously Hutson's skating is nowhere close to Hughes, but he does have the high end IQ and skill.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Friendly reminder that Quinn Hughes was getting manhandled every shift and was probably the worst defensive dman in the league in his sophomore year. Elite IQ/skating/skill will always make a player a successful NHLer. Obviously Hutson's skating is nowhere close to Hughes, but he does have the high end IQ and skill.
Yeah if he has that high level of awareness then he'll probably protect himself well and find ways to give himself more space/time. Having a Q Hughes would be incredible, but lets be real even a poor man's QH would move the needle for the habs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah if he has that high level of awareness then he'll probably protect himself well and find ways to give himself more space/time. Having a Q Hughes would be incredible, but lets be real even a poor man's QH would move the needle for the habs
I'm not a fan of the Hughes comparison because Hughes's skating is probably top 5 in the league whereas Hutson's will never be. He can still be a great player based off of his IQ and skill.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well without worrying about QH, what do you think about Hutson's skating?
Obviously there is room for improvement, but I don't see it being a downfall for him performing below expectations. Sometimes players with elite players will need to be exposed to more difficult competition in order to work on their flaws. Otherwise, they might develop the habit that these flaws aren't a big deal since they makeup for them with their elite skills.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It will certainly be part of the negotiations. Almost every big name NCAA prospect plays some games to burn a year of ELC.
Exactly, and it will have nothing to do with him being ready for it or not. He will negotiate an agreement to play in NHL games at the end of the season to burn one season of ELC control. Hughes already acknowledged two weeks ago that they plan to sign him at the conclusion of BU's season on his SICK podcast appearance that was hosted by Pierre McGuire and Jimmy Murphy
If he signs after the season his signing age will be 20. That contract won’t slide whether he plays or not. (Slides are for 18 and 19 yr olds) The year is burned when he signs.

Also, regarding the podcast - I believe Hughes mentioned Hutson starting his “professional career”. He’s a cagey one.

Hutson could sign an ATO (amateur try-out, like MacAvoy or Larkin did) with Laval and start there. He could also sign the ELC this season which would burn the year.

Cap nerds can feel free to correct or clarify.

When Caufield signed:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Hutson won't be ready for the AHL next year. The AHL is a more physical league than the NHL and there are bullies in this league always looking to hit young promising players. Remember KK having spleen injury because one of those idiots charged him at full speed.

Reactions: jrom

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hutson won't be ready for the AHL next year. The AHL is a more physical league than the NHL and there are bullies in this league always looking to hit young promising players. Remember KK having spleen injury because one of those idiots charged him at full speed.
KK also remembers getting rocked by Zadorov and Eller … and an other Goon clipped him with an elbow at center ice. Can’t remember that scrub’s name tho. #97, played for the oilers.

Anyway, the AHL was more physical 15 years ago. That won’t be a concern now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If he signs after the season his signing age will be 20. That contract won’t slide whether he plays or not. (Slides are for 18 and 19 yr olds) The year is burned when he signs.

Also, regarding the podcast - I believe Hughes mentioned Hutson starting his “professional career”. He’s a cagey one.

Hutson could sign an ATO (amateur try-out, like MacAvoy or Larkin did) with Laval and start there. He could also sign the ELC this season which would burn the year.

Cap nerds can feel free to correct or clarify.

When Caufield signed:
As I said, I highly doubt he plays in Montreal this year. Cc didn’t, Roy didn’t and neither will Hutson.

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
Let's take our time with him. No rush. We got many defensemen. Just don't give him to Houle.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think everybody knows he is magnificent talent. People are wondering if he can stand the physical going. Especially in playoffs when he will be run and targeted

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Struble was the best D in Laval. I am so tired of this craziness about coaches making or breaking players. If Hutson is unable to make it to the NHL, it won't be because of poor coaching, Houle or MSL or anybody else. It's true for Hutson or any other young player. Struble came to Laval last year as a plug and play D. His transition was seamless, and it was the same from Laval to Montréal. He is good and was ready, that's it.

I think Struble is doing better here than he was in laval(and I'm not saying he was bad there, he was our best D).

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
Struble was the best D in Laval. I am so tired of this craziness about coaches making or breaking players. If Hutson is unable to make it to the NHL, it won't be because of poor coaching, Houle or MSL or anybody else. It's true for Hutson or any other young player. Struble came to Laval last year as a plug and play D. His transition was seamless, and it was the same from Laval to Montréal. He is good and was ready, that's it.
so I can't have an opinion on our development in Laval? I can't say I wish we'd be more disciplined, have some players play more than others? Trudeau regressed but that may be on him and not the coach.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
No matter the burn year or not, I think Hutson will see some NHL playing time (and at the very least, training time) if he sign late in the season, if only because the brass will want to evaluate him starting from the big league. I agree that the AHL isn't the best for him giving his playstyle and limitations, so if by some "miracle" (it wouldn't be - just because of the game in each league is played some prospects are just more comfortable in the NHL) he proves to be ready for the big club, then we can skip this issue altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad