Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm a huge fan of Quinn, but his first year, he was paired with Chris Tanev- one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. His on ice numbers dropped big time the year after when Tanev left.

He's a very good defensive player now as he's continued to develop, but those numbers his rookie year were heavily inflated by his partner. Lane doesn't have anyone close to that level to insulate him and comparing their flat numbers isn't fair at all.
Sure that's fair but exactly how many sub 5'11" elite skating offensive Dman prospects get to the level defensively that Quinn has?

It's extremely unlikely that he hits even 70-90% of the defensive level Hughes has attained.

And that's not a knock on Hutson as I had defensive concerns when Quinn was drafted but his defensive progress is that of a unicorn.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Sure that's fair but exactly how many sub 5'11" elite skating offensive Dman prospects get to the level defensively that Quinn has?

It's extremely unlikely that he hits even 70-90% of the defensive level Hughes has attained.

And that's not a knock on Hutson as I had defensive concerns when Quinn was drafted but his defensive progress is that of a unicorn.
After watching the games so far, i don't dislike Hutson defensively. He puts a lot of effort into it and i believe with some more NHL reps he can be where he needs to be on that side of the ice.

I really liked seeing him paired with Mailloux tonight.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I have to imagine the people being negative about him haven't actually been watching him play. I'm a Leafs fan, not at all a Habs fan, but I throw on random NHL games all the time while doing other stuff, have caught a number of periods of his play. He's extremely impressive, very clearly so, is shifty as f*** with the puck and cuts through opposing players in a way that you don't see often. I don't see how you could watch this 20 year old kid dance through NHL defences and be like "but he's -1 though."

Is he a finished product? Of course not. But his talent level is really high, and I feel confident he's going to be a star. For now he'll be a mix of high impact plays as well as plenty of mistakes and weaknesses, but within the next few years, I'm confident he'll be very high impact in a positive way, full stop.

He deserves the comparisons to rookie Quinn Hughes, decently similar players IMO. I'd say rookie Hughes was a bit better, but it's close. Both super skilled, smart and shifty, I think Hutson has the slight edge on hands and small area elusiveness, but rookie Hughes had a big edge on skating. Hutson is very slippery but his pure speed is just solid for his size, Hughes had the slipperiness and edgework but also truly elite speed. But overall I think he's not too far off rookie Hughes, which is a huge compliment.

Over the past 30 seasons, the only dmen to hit 50 points as a rookie have been:
  • Quinn Hughes: 53 points in 68 games
  • Cale Makar: 50 points in 57 games
  • Moritz Seider: 50 points in 82 games
If Hutson stays healthy, plays 70+ games, I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he joins them.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yep. He’s been fantastic.

Whoops, I thought this was the Cole Caufield thread. Sorry, my mistake.

Yep, Hutson’s been terrific too.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He does a lot of these unnecessary extra moves at the blue line that turn out to be low percentage. If he can simplify his game more and focus on getting shots through, he will rack up assists far more.

Reactions: wetcoast

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Thats such a disingenuous statement that it’s hard to know where to start to respond. But I’ll give it the old college try:

1) He’s played SIX GAMES. In his rookie year. There’s not nearly enough games in to form any correlation between time played and team success.

So it’s disingenuous for me to mention that fact about ice time and team success after six games but it’s not disingenuous to project him as being a star after six games based on “eye test”?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Just because you havent' heard of him or watched him, doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion.
Huh? How can you have an opinion of someone you never heard of or watched? I suppose someone could throw out their opinion of someone, but I'd certainly discount that opinion heavily.

Reactions: Realgud

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Huh? How can you have an opinion of someone you never heard of or watched? I suppose someone could throw out their opinion of someone, but I'd certainly discount that opinion heavily.
Hasn't stopped a lot of posters in this thread. See below for an example.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Habs should try this kid on the wing. Less defensive responsibilities. Likely help the club with winning.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Normal Fans: 20 year-old, 160 lb d-man is one of the most exciting players in the league 8 games into his NHL career, and playing 23 minutes per game this season. Amazing!

HFB Diehard Skeptics: He's a -1.

• Love
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad