Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This guy is too much fun to watch. Yes, he makes a lot of mistakes and is very weak defensively but those two faults are easily outweighed by how electric he is with puck on stick. Sure that’s only 5% of his time on ice, but it’s a fantastic 5%.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That highlight really shows one of the biggest flaws we hockey fans and the players have to endure. Look at those nicknames. Hutty, Eisey? They can't do any better than that? Every guy named Smith is called Smitty. Every guy named Jones is called Jonesy. It's time for hockey to do something about this. Why can't Lane Hutson be carrying the puck up the Hutson River Line or something like that? This complete lack of imagination must be stifling to the players.

Maybe if he played in New York it would make sense

Reactions: My3Sons

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
yeah

guhle and 5 cones is such an upgrade
I never said it was. Guhle and Hutson are the only two D playing good hockey right now.
you know what my problem is with this story line.

last year habs fans where telling me that suzuki is a top15 bordering top10 center in the league. others claimed that dach will pass him soon as the habs #1 center. you guys told us that slafkovsky is on a way way better trajectory than lafreniere and will be the better player this or next year for sure. we had trade proposal over the summer to add more win now pieces to the habs because the rebuild is over and the contention window is about to open.

and now? all those other story lines and players get thrown under the lane hutson hype train. sacrificed for the good of the shiny new toy.

how can a reader on this board take habs fans argumentation seriously with this context? i simply can't.
Both can be true even thought they are having a bad start. Lafreniere only really started to be dominent in the back half of his +4 season while Slaf did it in the back half of his D+2 season.

I’m not sure what we’re arguing here on Suzuki. He’s a top 15 C in the league. Even if you hate the player or the team he play with, you can’t deny his accomplishments.

No one is changing narratives. Both can still be true while praising Hutson. I mean, it’s not only Habs fans that has been praising him, it’s also the media (even Toronto’s media), players, coaches and opposing team coaches.

Not many D can come into the league and dominate right away. Hughes, Faber and Makar are the only ones that comes to mind in the past decade who has been able to do that. So when someone new comes in and do it, it’s only normal that the hype machine gets going, regardless of who the player play for.

what you just said about suzuki and dach also applies to hutson. he is not guaranteed to keep his good performances of the first 5 games for the entire season.
He is not. No one said he was guaranteed. He’s 20, so bad stretches and bad games are expected but the chances that he does keep his pace through the year are much higher than the chances that he doesn’t. A player with this talent level usually doesn’t just fade away.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
This guy is too much fun to watch. Yes, he makes a lot of mistakes and is very weak defensively but those two faults are easily outweighed by how electric he is with puck on stick. Sure that’s only 5% of his time on ice, but it’s a fantastic 5%.

I think, in a way, he's a gift to the rest of the NHL. Supremely entertaining to watch and won't help the Habs actually win due him being brutal defensively. When Lane Hutson plays, there's gonna be goals. Both ways.

Reactions: Fatass

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
+6.4 rel xGF%
-1.2 rel xGA/60

The Habs have not been good, but Hutson has been one of their best players.

No argument there, but once again, being the least bad on a horrible team doesn't make you great.

Careful! This is a no fact zone

Those facts show he is absolutely brutal defensively on an absolutely brutal defensive team...

By the way, why'd you ignore my post showing you a play that you claimed never happened?

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Both can be true even thought they are having a bad start. Lafreniere only really started to be dominent in the back half of his +4 season while Slaf did it in the back half of his D+2 season.

I’m not sure what we’re arguing here on Suzuki. He’s a top 15 C in the league. Even if you hate the player or the team he play with, you can’t deny his accomplishments.

No one is changing narratives. Both can still be true while praising Hutson. I mean, it’s not only Habs fans that has been praising him, it’s also the media (even Toronto’s media), players, coaches and opposing team coaches.

Not many D can come into the league and dominate right away. Hughes, Faber and Makar are the only ones that comes to mind in the past decade who has been able to do that. So when someone new comes in and do it, it’s only normal that the hype machine gets going, regardless of who the player play for.
look i don't follow the habs closely. i don't care about them. but i have seen time and time again on hfb how your fan base uses bad teammates as an excuse for various players and their values.
in regards to hutson bad teammates i wouldn't consider a negative. if montreal had better players he might not get the same opportunities. he might still be in the ahl. casey so far looked fine in the nhl. but there is no chance he will win the calder. once pesce and luke hughes are back from injuries he will be sent down.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
look i don't follow the habs closely. i don't care about them. but i have seen time and time again on hfb how your fan base uses bad teammates as an excuse for various players and their values.
in regards to hutson bad teammates i wouldn't consider a negative. if montreal had better players he might not get the same opportunities. he might still be in the ahl. casey so far looked fine in the nhl. but there is no chance he will win the calder. once pesce and luke hughes are back from injuries he will be sent down.
The Habs are using this rebuilding time (clearly not coaching any defensive structure to promote winning) to develop their young players. The AHL used to be where young guys learned to play the defensive side of the puck. But now some teams are more interested in high draft picks.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
No argument there, but once again, being the least bad on a horrible team doesn't make you great.

Those facts show he is absolutely brutal defensively on an absolutely brutal defensive team...

By the way, why'd you ignore my post showing you a play that you claimed never happened?
Because it doesn’t show what you said and also I don’t care about your opinion because it’s stupid

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
I am a Leafs fan...and honestly, I don't mind the hype around Lane Hutson even if it's a tad overblown. It's good for the game overall and it's good for one of the most loyal fanbases in the NHL who haven't had a lot of success recently.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Because it doesn’t show what you said and also I don’t care about your opinion because it’s stupid

Try to follow this:

...right now the hype is unreal for someone who skates into the corner and loses the puck.

Not sure I’ve seen him do this even once lmao

Just admit you were wrong... there is more of this.

It must suck watching the Habs, I understand the reasons for desperately wanting him to be better than he is, and he may get there, but he is not close to it yet.

• Haha
Reactions: overlords

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Try to follow this:

It must suck watching the Habs, I understand the reasons for desperately wanting him to be better than he is, and he may get there, but he is not close to it yet.
Cuts through the middle to the top of the circle and puts a shot on goal that gets blocked

How is that skating into the corner and losing the puck? Are you actually mentally challenged or what?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Try to follow this:

You seem confused about the definition of "corner". Then again, you were also schizophrenically imagining Bobby Orr comparisons earlier so maybe it's best we stop piling on the mentally ill.

He's also still maintaining a positive takeaway:giveaway ratio so I'm not exactly worried about him taking a shot that gets blocked lol.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No one is using his teammates as an excuse. The entirety of the top 6 right now is either injured (Laine) or has an xGF% of 30 or less. The only three players so far who have played well are Hutson, Guhle and Montembeault. This isn't an excuse, it's a fact.

It is not that Hutson has bad teammates, it's simply that the players that are supposed to carry this team are currently all playing very, very bad hockey are all at the same time.

As for Casey, I haven't seen any of of games yet so I can't say but I heard he's been pretty good. What's not playing in his favor is NJ already has 2 Offensive dynamo in Hamilton and Hughes. Montreal doesn't have anyone with the offensive capabilities that Hutson has.

The Habs are using this rebuilding time (clearly not coaching any defensive structure to promote winning) to develop their young players. The AHL used to be where young guys learned to play the defensive side of the puck. But now some teams are more interested in high draft picks.
Habs management and even MSL have said multiple times that they want to take a step forward this year. MSL even before the beginning of the season that they will be much more focused on the D and the margin for error will be thinner. They expect(ed) to be at least in the mix for a playoff spot this year.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
+6.4 rel xGF%
-1.2 rel xGA/60

The Habs have not been good, but Hutson has been one of their best players.

Here's the Habs bottom 5 in rel xGF%

1. Nick Suzuki -14.5%
2. David Savard -14.17%
3. Mike Matheson -9.48%
4. Cole Caufield -6.77%
5. Alex Newhook -5.53%

Do you think those have been the worst 5 players on Montreal this year?

Follow up, here are the Habs top 5

1. Emil Heineman +22.68%
2. Brendan Gallagher +18.82%
3. Christian Dvorak +17.43%
4. Jake Evans +9.84%
5. Arber Xhekaj +7.79%

Would you say those have been the 5 best Habs?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Here's the Habs bottom 4 in rel xGF%

1. Nick Suzuki -14.5%
2. David Savard -14.17%
3. Mike Matheson -9.48%
4. Cole Caufield -6.77%

Do you think those have been the worst 4 players on Montreal this year?
At even strength? They've been up there. They're playing tougher competition obviously (although Hutson has been anything but insulated this last little bit), but yeah Montreal's top players have been terrible so far. I assume you, like seemingly most people in this thread, haven't been watching their games so far. Like I said before, about a million things to criticize Montreal about this year from their defensive structure (man to man is terrible) to coaching, to the performance of their top players. Hutson has been one of few bright spots so far.
Minus 6 in his last 2 games but who cares as long as he is doing spinaramas all is good
>player has a bad +/- in games where their team plays terribly

Whoda thunk it

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
At even strength? They've been up there. They're playing tougher competition obviously (although Hutson has been anything but insulated this last little bit), but yeah Montreal's top players have been terrible so far. I assume you, like seemingly most people in this thread, haven't been watching their games so far. Like I said before, about a million things to criticize Montreal about this year from their defensive structure (man to man is terrible) to coaching, to the performance of their top players. Hutson has been one of few bright spots so far.

Well yeah it's obvious and yet never accounted for when someone mic drops a xGF% without that context.

I'm not even criticizing Huston, just the process that leads someone to think they can properly assess a players performance by taking 15 seconds to sort by xFG% without any other context. Xhekaj is ahead of him in that metric and he should probably be in the press box.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

They do not in fact show that.
Here's the Habs bottom 5 in rel xGF%

1. Nick Suzuki -14.5%
2. David Savard -14.17%
3. Mike Matheson -9.48%
4. Cole Caufield -6.77%
5. Alex Newhook -5.53%

Do you think those have been the worst 5 players on Montreal this year?

Follow up, here are the Habs top 5

1. Emil Heineman +22.68%
2. Brendan Gallagher +18.82%
3. Christian Dvorak +17.43%
4. Jake Evans +9.84%
5. Arber Xhekaj +7.79%

Would you say those have been the 5 best Habs?
I'm not the one who brought up xG% through a 5 game sample. Just pointing out that if you did want to use those numbers, they'd suggest that Hutson has been pretty good.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
this is some top tier delulu

It is embarrassing for a man over the age of 12 to say "delulu".

You seem confused about the definition of "corner". Then again, you were also schizophrenically imagining Bobby Orr comparisons earlier so maybe it's best we stop piling on the mentally ill.

He's also still maintaining a positive takeaway:giveaway ratio so I'm not exactly worried about him taking a shot that gets blocked lol.

You seem to be confused about what an effective player is.

His only going to the hashmark in this instance instead of the corner is your takeaway from this post...

This is embarrassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad