Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Haven't seen him play yet, but man Habs fans sure are hyping this kid up like he's the next Bobby Orr. It'll be interesting to see just how good of a rookie season he puts together when its all said and done. Who knows maybe he really is the real deal.
Proof? Let’s see some posts.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yep, I like what I see with Lane but Hab fans need to slow down.

Shit, he touches the puck and people start hyperventilating, lol. It’s a lot over the top.
What do fans have to cheer for? The big star they got in the off season got injured in a preseason game, Their hope for having more then one good forward line faded after that.

Let then have their hopeful cheers for Hutson.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hutson is the later round pick that makes up for the miss with Reinbacher. Excellent job by Habs’ scouts to make up for their mistake.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hutson is the later round pick that makes up for the miss with Reinbacher. Excellent job by Habs’ scouts to make up for their mistake.
Michkov was the miss, Reinbacher is still trending as a very useful player and perhaps the more important one in the playoffs.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves with Hutson. He's got plenty of potential for sure, but projecting him to have a similar development path as Hughes at this level is a bit far.

Just because Hughes figured out how to defend doesn't mean every other prospect on the earth can figure out how to defend. The deck was stacked up against Hughes as well on learning to defend well. That's why defenders like that are so rare and the best in the league.

For Hutson to get in the same category he needs to figure out how to defend.

Hughes' rookie year he was 29th in xGF% amongst defenders played more than 1000 ES minutes
Hutson's first few games this year he is 128th out of 149th in xGF% amongst defenders with 50 ES minutes. Let's see those numbers turn around before we compare him to Hughes. He's got plenty of more games to play.

Reactions: lordtrillson

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Come in a thread about Lane Hutson then complain people talk too much about Lane Hutson.

HFRetards.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Buddy he's playing half an hour in his 7th career game with a forward lineup that can't convert any of the numerous scoring chances he set up. It's okay that you didn't watch, but you don't need to come back to the thread to tell us all.
you know what my problem is with this story line.

last year habs fans where telling me that suzuki is a top15 bordering top10 center in the league. others claimed that dach will pass him soon as the habs #1 center. you guys told us that slafkovsky is on a way way better trajectory than lafreniere and will be the better player this or next year for sure. we had trade proposal over the summer to add more win now pieces to the habs because the rebuild is over and the contention window is about to open.

and now? all those other story lines and players get thrown under the lane hutson hype train. sacrificed for the good of the shiny new toy.

how can a reader on this board take habs fans argumentation seriously with this context? i simply can't.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
you know what my problem is with this story line.

last year habs fans where telling me that suzuki is a top15 bordering top10 center in the league. others claimed that dach will pass him soon as the habs #1 center. you guys told us that slafkovsky is on a way way better trajectory than lafreniere and will be the better player this or next year for sure. we had trade proposal over the summer to add more win now pieces to the habs because the rebuild is over and the contention window is about to open.

and now? all those other story lines and players get thrown under the lane hutson hype train. sacrificed for the good of the shiny new toy.

how can a reader on this board take habs fans argumentation seriously with this context? i simply can't.

You realize its 5 games in and players can have slow starts to the season? Or do you seriously believe Suzuki and Dach are 0 goalscorers?

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves with Hutson. He's got plenty of potential for sure, but projecting him to have a similar development path as Hughes at this level is a bit far.

Just because Hughes figured out how to defend doesn't mean every other prospect on the earth can figure out how to defend. The deck was stacked up against Hughes as well on learning to defend well. That's why defenders like that are so rare and the best in the league.

For Hutson to get in the same category he needs to figure out how to defend.

Hughes' rookie year he was 29th in xGF% amongst defenders played more than 1000 ES minutes
Hutson's first few games this year he is 128th out of 149th in xGF% amongst defenders with 50 ES minutes. Let's see those numbers turn around before we compare him to Hughes. He's got plenty of more games to play.
I'm a huge fan of Quinn, but his first year, he was paired with Chris Tanev- one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. His on ice numbers dropped big time the year after when Tanev left.

He's a very good defensive player now as he's continued to develop, but those numbers his rookie year were heavily inflated by his partner. Lane doesn't have anyone close to that level to insulate him and comparing their flat numbers isn't fair at all.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You realize its 5 games in and players can have slow starts to the season? Or do you seriously believe Suzuki and Dach are 0 goalscorers?
what you just said about suzuki and dach also applies to hutson. he is not guaranteed to keep his good performances of the first 5 games for the entire season.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I'm sure it's been posted in here, but it's hard to get an accurate reading of a guy's defensive ability when his entire team is getting cratered. Nick Suzuki, who is supposed to be one of the best two way players on the team, has an xgf% of twenty six right now. Lane's two way metrics aren't good right now, but they're some of the best on Montreal.

With a player like Hutson who is a kind of unique player, during his rookie year the important thing is whether or not he can play his own game in the show. Thus far he's been able to do that, which is a great sign.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
what you just said about suzuki and dach also applies to hutson. he is not guaranteed to keep his good performances of the first 5 games for the entire season.

Chances are pretty good that a player did not peak in his first 7 career nhl games.

He's a rookie, so obviously there will be ups and downs during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad