Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His agility and edgework appear to be top notch, and his hands are able to keep up with it.

I have seen some people question his straight line speed though.
His straight line speed isn't too much of a problem, and he'll naturally get faster as he matures.

His biggest issue is really his backwards skating and transitions from forwards to backwards. While it's definitely something that is fixable, it's been a pretty big weakness of his that has been exploited by bigger, faster forwards. So unlike most smaller dmen (who are great transition skaters, and excellent at defending laterally), Hutson can be prone to getting beaten to the outside in 1v1 situations and has a hard time keeping tight gaps at the blue line.

Aside from that, his defensive shortcomings aren't anything you don't see from most younger, smaller dmen (weaker on the puck in the corners, struggling to box out around the net etc). And he's already pretty elite at evading pressure on the forecheck to allow for clean break outs.

I don't suspect he'll ever be even average defensively, but so long as he can get the to 20th to 30th percentile there, he'll be a star. He's such a talented puck mover and blue line walker that he'll more than make up for his defensive weaknesses.

He's the kind of dynamic talent who you just live / mitigate with his defensive deficiencies because the upside is so incredible. He's the type of defenseman that makes everyone on the dangerous. He'll be a high event player, but just pair him with a steady stay at home top 4 RD and give him favorable deployments and you're golden.

All that said, I do think he's at risk of getting a bit more exposed when the Habs start making the playoffs, especially in heavy, tight checking playoff series. So that's just something the Habs will have to keep in mind - he may need some extra sheltering at 5v5 in those situations.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He moves a bit like quinn hughes

In my micro sample size that is the sytlistic vibe I get off him too. Obviously both really small guys but he appears to be a dynamic game changer with the puck on his stick. As a neutral fan when your team isn’t playing early Saturday night on HNIC its been a while since I tuned in to watch the Habs but this kid has a bit of that swagger that draws you in to watching.

I know the prospect pissing matches (especially in Canada) can get out of control but I will turn down the dial on that part of the circus and check out Lane’s overall game when I get more of a chance.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If you think Montreal is not the biggest magnet for attention in the Canadian market you clearly have no historical context lol. Hating Québec is ingrained in every single Canadian, and that spills over to hockey.

my dad was dodging FLQ mailbox bombs before you were born, I'm very aware of Quebec's historical context. It does not mean that today in 2024 they are a bigger talking point or get more attention than the Leafs

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
He's definitely a star in the making, but teams also haven't studied him yet, nor are they being that aggressive trying to hit him. Sooner or later, teams are going to be taking liberties and rocking him with "late" hits. Then, we will see just how well he handles the rigours of the NHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's not a burner, but neither is Adam Fox. Not saying Hutson is at that level, but you don't have to be a speed merchant to be a good skater and be effective. I think his size/strength will be more of a factor.

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
Why can’t people just sit down on the couch, tune into a few Montréal Canadiens games, because within a couple games, you will already see just by natural ability and the eye test, he’s a special player
For the first time in forever, Habs games are actually worth tuning in. Huston is a damn fun player to watch

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Why can’t people just sit down on the couch, tune into a few Montréal Canadiens games, because within a couple games, you will already see just by natural ability and the eye test, he’s a special player
Time and time again GMs let top-10 talents fall in the draft because they're undersized.

Granted, Hutson is tiny, but I'd still take that chance over almost anything else you're likely to find in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad