Speculation: Lalonde

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Really the same with Blashill. Without a roster it doesn't really matter who the coach is. We have a competent management that won't create a revolving door when the issue is the talent level.

Reactions: HoweFan

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Systems can succeed where individual talent cannot. Can anyone point out to what controlled breakout system the team is trying to institute beyond rim-arounds and chips out of the zone? Lalonde critiqued Ed at times for holding on to the puck trying to make a controlled play (even on plays where he succeeded). I'm thinking the system is garbage and hence the breakouts are garbage. Forwards aren't in place and/or looking for passes because they aren't supposed to be open and ready for passes. They all turn up ice or park along the boards just below the blueline for the inevitable rim or chip.
Agreed.

How many times have we seen the Wings pinned down in their own end for extended periods of time - then only to dump it down the ice once they had control? How many slow starts where they’re down by 2 goals within 8 minutes? Lack of proper passing/execution? Fundamentals out the window - looking lost?

There appears to be a lack of any system or order under Lalonde - just as we had seen with Blashill.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Outside of a 15-20 game losing streak at the start of the season I doubt his job is on the line. I'm not a big fan of his but Stevie has history of valuing organizational stability. I would definitely look for a upgrade at HC after his contract is up at the end of the year. But I don't think it's a "emergency" to replace him.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Systems can succeed where individual talent cannot. Can anyone point out to what controlled breakout system the team is trying to institute beyond rim-arounds and chips out of the zone? Lalonde critiqued Ed at times for holding on to the puck trying to make a controlled play (even on plays where he succeeded). I'm thinking the system is garbage and hence the breakouts are garbage. Forwards aren't in place and/or looking for passes because they aren't supposed to be open and ready for passes. They all turn up ice or park along the boards just below the blueline for the inevitable rim or chip.
yup
I don't remember which game it was, or even against which team, but their coach was interviewed in one of the intermissions, and he said we were predictable or something along those lines.

DavidpauseReinbacher

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
did Gallant like snub you for an autograph as a kid or something lol?
Hahaha no he's just overhyped. A name every hopeful fanbase brings up but then he gets to that team and you realize he plays no real system. Develops no youth or pivot to the strength of the players on the team. I think gallant being unemployed or only last 2 years at a time is no mistake.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lalonde on his way out?

7. Detroit’s Derek Lalonde will be the first coach fired. Feels like there are already signs of friction between Lalonde and Red Wings management. And the temperature is rising in Detroit to make the playoffs.

10-20 games.
But maybe he has learned and developed. He and Husso are the biggest weaknesses on the team.

Reactions: 13to40

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Seravelli doesn’t know anything. Lalonde won’t get fired mid season barring an absolutely disastrous start. Yzerman doesn’t fire coaches mid season. Blashill teams were getting blasted and giving up 11 goals in games and he still didn’t get fired mid season. Lalonde getting canned (which id be okay with) also doesn’t mean seravalli has any sort of sources whatsoever. He just throws shots in the dark.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm not a Lalonde fan or hater yet, still pretty middle ground as I think this is the first season he should have some real expectations from game 1 to 82. He has his flaws and the entire coaching staff did a poor job of having the team ready to play last year. Then again, these are professional athletes and they need to execute and come prepared also...

I don't see Lalonde getting fired unless we are way out of the playoff race and in a big slump mid season.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Yeah.... this isn't a report or even a prediction... its a BOLD prediction.

"But this is supposed to be fun. The only rule: No obvious predictions."

Bold predictions are a contradiction in themselves. He's predicting it will happen while at the same time admitting it most likely wont happen

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I think it depends on the performance of our competitors. If Florida, Toronto, Boston and Tampa all play well and we play poorly, Fester stays even if we are playing like shit. If one or two of them look weak and we've got a real shot but are underperforming, then a change should be made. We need to realistically get past them in long term trajectory.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I could see him getting axed if we are really bad in our first 10-15 games. If we start reasonably well though, I think he sticks for the duration of the season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Seravelli doesn’t know anything. Lalonde won’t get fired mid season barring an absolutely disastrous start. Yzerman doesn’t fire coaches mid season. Blashill teams were getting blasted and giving up 11 goals in games and he still didn’t get fired mid season. Lalonde getting canned (which id be okay with) also doesn’t mean seravalli has any sort of sources whatsoever. He just throws shots in the dark.

With how things crashed and burned last year I really wonder if Lalonde lost the room after February. I can see the Wings going on a losing skid early in the year that gets him canned by December. Their schedule isn't that easy to start the year. The majority of games in October/November are against playoff teams. And 4 of the games against non playoff teams are Buffalo and Pittsburgh, so those aren't easy outs.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
we have another ten+ game collapse where the team looks entirely lost and outclassed every night, like what happened a couple of stretches last year, I think he's gone.
This is how I feel. If we scuffle to start, I don’t think we make a change.

If we come out of the gate and completely collapse, he’s gone.

That said, all of Seravelli’s predictions are funny and not likely to come true.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
The difference being that Blashill was coaching a losing team. Where the team was in the rebuild is miles behind where the current team is located.

I could see uncle Fester getting the boot 10-15 games in if the team starts with a 30% win rate (unless there are major injuries factoring into the piss poor start).

This team has progressed every year over the passed few years and ultimately the only way to continue progression this year from last is to make the playoffs, which is why I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Yzerman fires Lalonde mid season.

At the end of the day, Yzerman is trying to build a winner and the current coach I don’t at all expect to be around when this team is actually winning meaningful games past the month of April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad